NATION

PASSWORD

Coronavirus Thread mark II: Official Apocalyptic Edition

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Valrifell
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:56 am

Zurkerx wrote:
Valrifell wrote:
A dangerous and bad decision.

Nevertheless, several governors have already gone beyond what the administration prescribed. I doubt Cuomo is going to loosten up restrictoons, for instance. Could it already be beyond Donald's control?

Who knows, but given his approval rating is rising; disapproval decreasing, he sees an opportunity, and a gamble, to increase his chances winning come November though it is a gamble: if he loosens up restrictions and more people get sick, it could backfire on him. But nonetheless, he's riding a high wave right now.

The problem being, of course, that every infectious disease expert on the planet agree that without restrictions in place it'll get much worse, particularly in a country like the US where cases are still rising fucking exponentially.

This goddamn numbskull is gonna have folk dying in the streets.
Last edited by Valrifell on Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
HAVING AN ALL CAPS SIG MAKES ME FEEL SMART

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:58 am

Greed and Death wrote:Trump to reopen Economy.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/24/politics ... index.html

Containment is being abandoned.

Trump is actually going to kill people with this decision.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 06, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:00 am

Zurkerx wrote:
Valrifell wrote:

Nevertheless, several governors have already gone beyond what the administration prescribed. I doubt Cuomo is going to loosten up restrictoons, for instance. Could it already be beyond Donald's control?

Who knows, but given his approval rating is rising; disapproval decreasing, he sees an opportunity, and a gamble, to increase his chances winning come November though it is a gamble: if he loosens up restrictions and more people get sick, it could backfire on him. But nonetheless, he's riding a high wave right now.

How is his approval rating rising? I can see why people would like the response of people like Fauci to this crisis but Trump has continually dropped the ball on this, and if he "reopens the ecomomy" too soon, he will single handedly kill millions of Americans not out of spite, but because he's a dumbass who is more worried about how the economy (his crown achievement) will look around election time than he is about the safety and security of our people.

This virus struck at one of the worst times it could have in America. I hope the state reopens in a couple weeks but jeez not like tomorrow.
Rojava Free State wrote:Listen yall. I'm only gonna say it once but I want you to remember it. This ain't a world fit for good men. It seems like you gotta be monstrous just to make it. Gotta have a little bit of darkness within you just to survive. You gotta stoop low everyday it seems like. Stoop all the way down to the devil in these times. And then one day you look in the mirror and you realize that you ain't you anymore. You're just another monster, and thanks to your actions, someone else will eventually become as warped and twisted as you. Never forget that the best of us are just the best of a bad lot. Being at the top of a pile of feces doesn't make you anything but shit like the rest. Never forget that.

Moscareinas
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 09, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Moscareinas » Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:00 am

Zurkerx wrote:
Valrifell wrote:

People who support him can shrug it off so long as the death toll doesn't reach flu levels. This cannot backfire on him till it's way too late.
Moscareinas is an unexpectedly prosperous democratic republic whose territories include 54% of the western Indian Ocean, the IRL BIOT, Comoros, Mayotte, the Seychelles, Mauritius, and Reunion. Not included: Madagascar.

Moscans are torn about Madagascar.

(Yes, I'm Dahon. Please.)

Pilipinas and Malaya
Minister

Founded: Jun 23, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Pilipinas and Malaya » Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:03 am

COVID-19 Live Numbers as of 4:26 PM HKST, March 24, 2020

Confirmed per Country/Region

81,553 China
63,927 Italy
46,450 US
35,136 Spain
29,056 Germany
23,049 Iran
20,128 France
9,037 Korea, South
8,795 Switzerland
6,726 United Kingdom
4,767 Netherlands
4,477 Austria
3,743 Belgium
2,625 Norway
2,088 Canada
2,060 Portugal
2,059 Sweden
2,044 Australia
1,924 Brazil
1,582 Denmark
1,529 Turkey
1,518 Malaysia
1,442 Israel
1,236 Czechia
1,140 Japan
1,125 Ireland
981 Ecuador
892 Pakistan
875 Luxembourg
827 Thailand
749 Poland
746 Chile
712 Cruise Ship
700 Finland
695 Greece
588 Iceland
579 Indonesia
576 Romania
562 Saudi Arabia
511 India
509 Singapore
501 Philippines
501 Qatar
442 Slovenia
438 Russia
402 South Africa
395 Peru
377 Bahrain
367 Mexico
366 Egypt
352 Estonia
345 Panama
315 Croatia
306 Colombia
301 Argentina
267 Lebanon
266 Iraq
249 Serbia
245 Dominican Republic
235 Armenia
230 Algeria
202 Bulgaria
198 United Arab Emirates
195 Taiwan*
189 Kuwait
187 Hungary
187 San Marino
186 Slovakia
180 Latvia
179 Lithuania
162 Uruguay
158 Costa Rica
155 New Zealand
143 Morocco
137 Bosnia and Herzegovina
136 North Macedonia
133 Andorra
127 Jordan
123 Vietnam
116 Cyprus
109 Moldova
107 Malta
104 Albania
99 Burkina Faso
97 Sri Lanka
91 Brunei
89 Tunisia
87 Cambodia
84 Oman
84 Venezuela
81 Belarus
79 Senegal
73 Ukraine
72 Azerbaijan
68 Kazakhstan
66 Georgia
56 Cameroon
52 Trinidad and Tobago
51 Liechtenstein
49 Uzbekistan
42 Afghanistan
42 Kyrgyzstan
40 Cuba
40 Nigeria
36 Congo (Kinshasa)
36 Mauritius
36 Rwanda
33 Bangladesh
30 Honduras
28 Bolivia
27 Ghana
27 Montenegro
27 Paraguay
25 Cote d'Ivoire
23 Monaco
20 Guatemala
20 Guyana
19 Jamaica
18 Togo
17 Barbados
17 Madagascar
16 Kenya
13 Maldives
12 Tanzania
11 Ethiopia
10 Mongolia
9 Equatorial Guinea
9 Uganda
7 Seychelles
6 Benin
6 Gabon
6 Haiti
6 Suriname
5 El Salvador
4 Bahamas
4 Congo (Brazzaville)
4 Eswatini
4 Fiji
4 Guinea
4 Namibia
3 Angola
3 Antigua and Barbuda
3 Cabo Verde
3 Central African Republic
3 Djibouti
3 Liberia
3 Niger
3 Saint Lucia
3 Zambia
3 Zimbabwe
2 Bhutan
2 Chad
2 Dominica
2 Gambia
2 Mauritania
2 Nepal
2 Nicaragua
2 Sudan
1 Belize
1 Eritrea
1 Grenada
1 Holy See
1 Mozambique
1 Papua New Guinea
1 Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
1 Somalia
1 Syria
1 Timor-Leste
Federative States of Pilipinas and Malaya
Member of Europe

Homepage (leads to other info dispatches)
Accursed, incomplete, self-made map collection of my universe
NS Stats invalid
Yes, my nation does represent a good chunk of my views
Finally got around to dealing with a bunch of canon stuff, expect them to be updated every once in a while. | *inhales copium* In Civ 7, maybe we'll finally get a Filipino civ? | STREAM SEVENTEEN'S FML, OUT NOW

Agarntrop
Powerbroker

Founded: May 14, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Agarntrop » Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:04 am

Olympics just got postponed to 2021.
Labour Party (UK), Progressive Democrat (US)
Left Without Edge
Former Senator Barry Anderson (R-MO)

Governor Tara Misra (R-KY)

Representative John Atang (D-NY03)

Governor Max Smith (R-AZ)

State Senator Simon Hawkins (D-IA)

Join Land of Hope and Glory - a UK political RP project

Samudera Darussalam
Senator

Founded: Aug 05, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Samudera Darussalam » Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:04 am

Moscareinas wrote:
Zurkerx wrote:

People who support him can shrug it off so long as the death toll doesn't reach flu levels. This cannot backfire on him till it's way too late.

An old argument, really. "This is not as bad as flu". Heh. They are lucky to live in a country with a relatively decent and advanced health care.

Valrifell
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:05 am

Moscareinas wrote:
Zurkerx wrote:

Evidently they'll support him right up until they're on ventilation.

Valrifell
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:05 am

Samudera Darussalam wrote:
Moscareinas wrote:

An old argument, really. "This is not as bad as flu". Heh. They are lucky to live in a country with a relatively decent and advanced health care.

Until the healthcare system gets overwhelmed by thousands of new cases

Nakena
Post Marshal

Founded: May 06, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Nakena » Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:05 am

Moscareinas wrote:
Zurkerx wrote:

Once cases go up again (which they will regardless) he's gonna flip-flop again on it. It's basically depending whatever media (or foxnews) is pushing the most atm.

Dylar
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 07, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Dylar » Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:06 am

Rojava Free State wrote:
Dylar wrote:Okay so the state of Indiana just issued a "Stay-At-Home" Order that will take effect on Wednesday the 25th, and last til April 7th at the earliest. Not exactly a complete shut down since essential services will still be open, but close enough.

Et tu Dylar?

Well word on the street is that my job is considered an essential service. And we're a factory that builds brass valves. I mean they do go in hospitals but I'm pretty sure that the valves get put in during construction.
St. Albert the Great wrote:"Natural science does not consist in ratifying what others have said, but in seeking the causes of phenomena."
Franko Tildon wrote:Fire washes the skin off the bone and the sin off the soul. It cleans away the dirt. And my momma didn't raise herself no dirty boy.

Pro: Life, Catholic, religious freedom, guns
Against: gun control, abortion, militant atheism
Interests: Video Games, Military History, Catholic theology, Sci-Fi, and Table-Top Miniatures games
Favorite music genres: Metal, Drinking songs, Polka, Military Marches, Hardbass, and Movie/Video Game soundtracks

Zurkerx
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jan 20, 2011
Anarchy

Postby Zurkerx » Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:07 am

Valrifell wrote:
Zurkerx wrote:

The problem being, of course, that every infectious disease expert on the planet agree that without restrictions in place it'll get much worse, particularly in a country like the US where cases are still rising fucking exponentially.

That would be the contributing factor of the anti-intellectual wave the US is riding right now: the institutions that would otherwise be respected, are viewed with distrust or at least, suspicious. I don't blame people for wanting to get out given they can't sit still, but they are risking their lives nonetheless. If that attitude doesn't change, some people are going to learn the hard way unfortunately.
A Golden Civic: The New Pragmatic Libertarian
My Words: Indeed, Indubitably & Malarkey
Retired Admin in NSGS and NS Parliament

Accountant, Author, History Buff, Political Junkie
“Has ambition so eclipsed principle?” ~ Mitt Romney
"Try not to become a person of success, but rather try to become a person of value." ~ Albert Einstein
"Trust, but verify." ~ Ronald Reagan

Moscareinas
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Moscareinas » Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:09 am

A bit behind; the Philippines now has 552 people confirmed to be infected with this virus.

More and more of our doctors and nurses are forced to quarantine themselves or are themselves infected or dead, through no fault of their own. Marikina City has taken the trouble to procure for itself and for the benefit of the immediate vicinity a testing facility, but it's not yet approved by the Department of Health and so is not yet operational, despite the shortage of testing kits. Dear God, why this dilly-dallying?
Moscareinas is an unexpectedly prosperous democratic republic whose territories include 54% of the western Indian Ocean, the IRL BIOT, Comoros, Mayotte, the Seychelles, Mauritius, and Reunion. Not included: Madagascar.

Moscareinas
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Moscareinas » Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:11 am

Zurkerx wrote:
Valrifell wrote:

That would be the contributing factor of the anti-intellectual wave the US is riding right now: the institutions that would otherwise be respected, are viewed with distrust or at least, suspicious. I don't blame people for wanting to get out given they can't sit still, but they are risking their lives nonetheless. If that attitude doesn't change, some people are going to learn the hard way unfortunately.

And some are going to learn alongside them, despite taking every precaution, because fuck the greater good, we want money!

Ghost Land
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 14, 2014
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Ghost Land » Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:11 am

The order coming out of Wisconsin Governor Tony Evers yesterday was referred to as "Safer At Home": all non-essential businesses are closed, and people are urged to stay inside as much as possible. The earlier law passed last week prohibiting social gatherings of 10 or more people still stands, though there is no rule against going for a walk with one or two family members or friends (which is still beneficial for all of us, as cabin fever can too be a real thing, especially for natural extraverts such as myself). This seriously sucks, but at the same time it's less severe than the new rule introduced in Germany prohibiting social gatherings of more than two people (meaning a family of three could not go places together unless they took separate vehicles and made sure not to interact with each other).

Let's just hope my friends actually PICK UP the phone when I call them. :(
Forum account/puppet of 60s Music.
Originally joined 24 April 2012.
All lives matter. Race, age, and gender are unimportant.
Me OOC
Awesome/Funny Quotes
Right-wing libertarian
This nation reflects the OPPOSITE of my views.
Pro: Donald Trump, tougher border laws, 1st/2nd Amendments, benevolent dictators, libertarianism, capitalism
Anti: Democratic Party, The Clintons, Joe Biden, Nancy Pelosi, abortion, gun control, #MeToo, communism, racism and racial nationalism, affirmative action, SJWs

Valrifell
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:11 am

Zurkerx wrote:
Valrifell wrote:

But, we must note, that as infection rates soar with the highest offices pushing for folks to leave home, people will be calling out of work regardless. Imho, the economy is already in recession, there's no saving it. Just mitigating fallout, but there are better ways to do that without putting lives at risk.

Except now the economy sucks and people are dying because the president told them it was fine.

Nakena
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Nakena » Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:11 am

Moscareinas wrote:
Zurkerx wrote:

And some are going to learn alongside them, despite taking every precaution, because fuck the greater good, we want money!

In the end they will get neither. This we need to reopen to save the economy meme is another delusional wishful thinking. Created out of the helplessness the thought is there that it could return things magically to the previosu stage.
Last edited by Nakena on Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Moscareinas
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Moscareinas » Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:13 am

Valrifell wrote:
Samudera Darussalam wrote:An old argument, really. "This is not as bad as flu". Heh. They are lucky to live in a country with a relatively decent and advanced health care.

Until the healthcare system gets overwhelmed by thousands of new cases

Which is why the Trumpster newsphere exists -- deny reality, or at least make it extremely contestable, so that Trumpster agenda are unhindered.

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:13 am

Moscareinas wrote:A bit behind; the Philippines now has 552 people confirmed to be infected with this virus.

More and more of our doctors and nurses are forced to quarantine themselves or are themselves infected or dead, through no fault of their own. Marikina City has taken the trouble to procure for itself and for the benefit of the immediate vicinity a testing facility, but it's not yet approved by the Department of Health and so is not yet operational, despite the shortage of testing kits. Dear God, why this dilly-dallying?

552 confirmed cases? You're lucky, that's next to nothing in a country of 100 million people. In the US we have like 46,000 confirmed cases and over 500 dead so far.
Rojava Free State wrote:Listen yall. I'm only gonna say it once but I want you to remember it. This ain't a world fit for good men. It seems like you gotta be monstrous just to make it. Gotta have a little bit of darkness within you just to survive. You gotta stoop low everyday it seems like. Stoop all the way down to the devil in these times. And then one day you look in the mirror and you realize that you ain't you anymore. You're just another monster, and thanks to your actions, someone else will eventually become as warped and twisted as you. Never forget that the best of us are just the best of a bad lot. Being at the top of a pile of feces doesn't make you anything but shit like the rest. Never forget that.

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:14 am

Samudera Darussalam wrote:
Moscareinas wrote:

Relatively decent healthcare for the wealthy. If you're poor, not so much.

Moscareinas
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Moscareinas » Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:16 am

Rojava Free State wrote:
Moscareinas wrote:A bit behind; the Philippines now has 552 people confirmed to be infected with this virus.

552 confirmed cases? You're lucky, that's next to nothing in a country of 100 million people. In the US we have like 46,000 confirmed cases and over 500 dead so far.

I know, but that's also a drop in the bucket compared to the total population of your ironically United States.

Valrifell
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:22 am

I have re-examined my initial panic and have concluded that Trump lacks the power to force governors to lift their stay-at-home orders; he most likely can not single-handedly re-open the economy and most (not all) governors are gonna fight him on this.

It does make him look rather foolish, considering only a week ago we was all "we will fight this virus like the war" and now he's peddling some bullshit about car accidents. I don't ave much faith but the whiplash with regards to his views on the subject should cause people to approve of him less.

You know, should.

Nakena
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Nakena » Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:24 am

Valrifell wrote:I have re-examined my initial panic and have concluded that Trump lacks the power to force governors to lift their stay-at-home orders; he most likely can not single-handedly re-open the economy and most (not all) governors are gonna fight him on this.

It does make him look rather foolish, considering only a week ago we was all "we will fight this virus like the war" and now he's peddling some bullshit about car accidents. I don't ave much faith but the whiplash with regards to his views on the subject should cause people to approve of him less.

You know, should.

Trump has no coherent strategy on this and DC appears to be falling apart over the matter.

Diopolis
Post Marshal

Founded: May 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Diopolis » Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:28 am

Valrifell wrote:I have re-examined my initial panic and have concluded that Trump lacks the power to force governors to lift their stay-at-home orders; he most likely can not single-handedly re-open the economy and most (not all) governors are gonna fight him on this.

You know, should.

Trump may be threatening to force governors to reopen if Dems don't stop trying to poison pill coronavirus stimulus packages. He may be hoping that warmer weather will prevent the spread. He may be full of shit.
Texas nationalist, right-wing technocrat, radical social conservative, post-liberal.

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ethel mermania » Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:28 am

You know, should.

There are things he can do, particularly at the borders and what not, but the rest of it, you are right, he cant order the theatres and companies open. Those are private and local.

It is sort of ironic the only thing trump can do is open the borders.
Last edited by Ethel mermania on Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General