NATION

PASSWORD

Abortion Law Reform Passes in New Zealand

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Ors Might
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 01, 2016
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Ors Might » Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:36 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Kernen wrote:
Catch me in person. I'll make that argument all day. And have. In front of professional peers, no less.

We grabbed a supply of Plan B as a precaution. Promises to be a good time.

I can admit a fetus is human, tbh. It’s made of human cells after all. I just don’t consider a fetus has personhood and I think it’s a woman’s choice, what she decides with her body. If this means terminating a pregnancy, it’s fine.

Eh, personhood as a philosophical concept can, in all fairness, be best summed up as “complicated as all fuck”.
https://youtu.be/gvjOG5gboFU Best diss track of all time

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Founded: Feb 10, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:38 pm

Ors Might wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
I can admit a fetus is human, tbh. It’s made of human cells after all. I just don’t consider a fetus has personhood and I think it’s a woman’s choice, what she decides with her body. If this means terminating a pregnancy, it’s fine.

Eh, personhood as a philosophical concept can, in all fairness, be best summed up as “complicated as all fuck”.

Indeed. It is.
Slava Ukraini
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Katganistan » Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:40 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:Ya know I’m pretty sure we are going to have a baby boom from all of this COVID-19 stuff

I don't care how good you think you are, six feet is a hell of a distance to impregnate someone from.

I bet Superman could do it.
Thermodolia wrote:
Ors Might wrote:I personally think Children of The Corn would be a fun one.

How about SAW or It? We could use a good horror

Rosemary's Baby
The Bad Seed or its gender bending remake The Good Son.
Last edited by Katganistan on Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Czechoslovakia and Zakarpatia
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 13, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Czechoslovakia and Zakarpatia » Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:16 pm

Thermodolia wrote:
New haven america wrote:1. Gee, maybe the tree they ate from shouldn't have been called the Tree of Knowledge or something then.
2. Yes it was, and this is quite common among religions with more dictatorial deities, that learning or advancing culturally/socially/technologically is bad. Prometheus and Greek mythology is also a great example of this behavior and belief.
3. They were punished because they were gaining an ability God didn't want them to have and punished them for daring to gain some semblance of independence.

Sounds like my parents. Especially the last one. I remember getting a beat down/getting yelled at for getting caught looking up what a dysfunctional family was.

They obviously panicked that you were about to learn who they truly were, and so they desperately tried to "shut it down". I hope you got away from such horrible environment by now, because abusive individuals don't even deserve to be called parents.

Forsher
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 30, 2012
New York Times Democracy

Postby Forsher » Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:38 pm

Costa Fierro wrote:Unfortunately due to some eel-like slipperiness from one of the MP's, protesters can now gather outside clinics and other facilities offering abortions unimpeded, as Parliament inadvertently voted in favour of an addition to the legislation that removed the implementation of safe zones, and there was no real legislative way to reinstate them.

Parliament can do anything it wants. For example, they could pass a law tomorrow requiring that all new arrivals are shot and cremated, while the day after passing another law saying anyone displaying symptoms is to be shot and cremated also. And then the day after that they can finally get around to killing all the blue eyed babies. God knows they've been talking about that for long enough.

I suspect what you mean is that they couldn't be arsed doing it since it'd be additional legislative work.

The protest thing is an interesting question. On the one hand, I can see why you'd want such a law. On the other hand, I have seen those Boston Legal episodes about having anti-Bush protesters be corralled to certain (out of the way/irrelevant) areas.

Mostly I really don't care. As Costa has pointed out, it was really a more "technically" illegal problem than "illegal". A bit like how NZ's oldest laws kind of possibly predate human inhabitation of the physical landmass (Magna Carta dates to 1215, but not the version on the statute books, and Maori are thought to have arrived ca. 1250). I get that abortion means a lot to a lot of people, but it's not an issue I have ever cared overly much about. I agree it shouldn't be a criminal matter, but not enough to see exactly what we've done is what I'm saying.

New haven america wrote:Good, I hope New Zealand continues to be one of the best English speaking countries and that conservative and religious shackles continue to break world wide.

More like... you don't know very much about NZ.

On this particular issue NZ was very much behind the US (which has strong legal protections for abortion but no political protections), except in the sense it's not a political issue here. It'd be a bit like suggesting statehood for American Samoa is a major political issue in the US. I'm sure there are some people who care very deeply about it, but it just doesn't come up. There's a reason why the previous Labour government spent nine years in power and never did this: there's not much reward for doing so. (This Labour government is much more style over substance... all its headline election policies have failed, been abandoned or are embroiled in entirely avoidable messes or were blantantly xenophobic and instituted almost immediately so everyone's forgotten about them... so this kind of "good headlines, minimal changes" policy works for them much more. It's not entirely their fault: this is not a strong Labour party, it's very constrained by the nature of the current governing coalition.)
That it Could be What it Is, Is What it Is

Stop making shit up, though. Links, or it's a God-damn lie and you know it.

The normie life is heteronormie

We won't know until 2053 when it'll be really obvious what he should've done. [...] We have no option but to guess.

Shanghai industrial complex
Minister

Founded: Feb 20, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Shanghai industrial complex » Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:42 pm

Forsher wrote:

On this particular issue NZ was very much behind the US (which has strong legal protections for abortion but no political protections), except in the sense it's not a political issue here. It'd be a bit like suggesting statehood for American Samoa is a major political issue in the US. I'm sure there are some people who care very deeply about it, but it just doesn't come up. There's a reason why the previous Labour government spent nine years in power and never did this: there's not much reward for doing so. (This Labour government is much more style over substance... all its headline election policies have failed, been abandoned or are embroiled in entirely avoidable messes or were blantantly xenophobic and instituted almost immediately so everyone's forgotten about them... so this kind of "good headlines, minimal changes" policy works for them much more. It's not entirely their fault: this is not a strong Labour party, it's very constrained by the nature of the current governing coalition.)

Are you sure not bring abortion into politics?Because it's religion and politics that are now legal to stop abortion.
Mississippi officially approved the 13th Amendment on abolition on February 7, 2013.I don't think the United States is entitled to say that NZ goes behind him,on political protection.
多看空我 仮面ライダークウガをたくさん見てください Watch more Masked Rider Kukuku Kuuga!

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:03 pm

Shanghai industrial complex wrote:
Forsher wrote:

Are you sure not bring abortion into politics?Because it's religion and politics that are now legal to stop abortion.
Mississippi officially approved the 13th Amendment on abolition on February 7, 2013.I don't think the United States is entitled to say that NZ goes behind him,on political protection.

The official ratification had no legal effect anyway as the 13th was already law and had been in Mississippi for quite some time
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Forsher
Postmaster of the Fleet

New York Times Democracy

Postby Forsher » Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:39 pm

Forsher wrote:

What the fuck?

I have no idea what that says at all.

What I said is that the US... despite constant political and cultural assault on abortion... has vastly stronger legal protections for it than NZ did (and, by the nature of NZ's law, still does... but this is because, as I indicated, our laws, almost all of them, can be changed in a matter of hours).

If you're trying to disagree with that, please use grammar to do so... in order that I may understand your point.

We won't know until 2053 when it'll be really obvious what he should've done. [...] We have no option but to guess.

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 23, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:11 am

Hakons wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:No, it isn't. There are plenty of pro-choice people who agree that the fetus is human; it's personhood that is the main issue, so check your facts before spouting this nonsense Hakons.

It's not nonsense, just look at literally any debate between politicians. The pro-choice side always abstracts and euphemises with "women's health," "a right to choose," ect... I have never, not even once, heard a pro-choice argument that admits the humanity of the fetus. I've only seen it on NSG, where people like you are more brazen than in real life.

The whole "no person can use another persons body against their will" line of reasoning is also quite common outside of NSG.
Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.
- Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

New haven america
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby New haven america » Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:13 am

Hakons wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:No, it isn't. There are plenty of pro-choice people who agree that the fetus is human; it's personhood that is the main issue, so check your facts before spouting this nonsense Hakons.

It's not nonsense, just look at literally any debate between politicians. The pro-choice side always abstracts and euphemises with "women's health," "a right to choose," ect... I have never, not even once, heard a pro-choice argument that admits the humanity of the fetus. I've only seen it on NSG, where people like you are more brazen than in real life.

You could go back at least a couple pages and find it.

But would using the search bar be too much work is the question?
Human of the male variety
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:06 am

Czechoslovakia and Zakarpatia wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:Sounds like my parents. Especially the last one. I remember getting a beat down/getting yelled at for getting caught looking up what a dysfunctional family was.

They obviously panicked that you were about to learn who they truly were, and so they desperately tried to "shut it down". I hope you got away from such horrible environment by now, because abusive individuals don't even deserve to be called parents.

Funny enough I actually didn’t think we where dysfunctional until they out of the blue screamed that “we aren’t a dysfunctional family”.

Oh I haven’t lived with my parents since I was 18. I really am glad the military exists, that got me out of there.
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Czechoslovakia and Zakarpatia
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 13, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Czechoslovakia and Zakarpatia » Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:58 am

Thermodolia wrote:
Czechoslovakia and Zakarpatia wrote:They obviously panicked that you were about to learn who they truly were, and so they desperately tried to "shut it down". I hope you got away from such horrible environment by now, because abusive individuals don't even deserve to be called parents.

Funny enough I actually didn’t think we where dysfunctional until they out of the blue screamed that “we aren’t a dysfunctional family”.

Oh I haven’t lived with my parents since I was 18. I really am glad the military exists, that got me out of there.

You know it's bad when even a military bootcamp is better than your family. I am glad you got out of there, and I hope you will be able to live a good life.
Last edited by Czechoslovakia and Zakarpatia on Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mettaton-EX
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 24, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Mettaton-EX » Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:57 am

a fetus is a person, but no person has the right to use another person's body without their consent.

this also means that you can't send anybody to prison if they're pregnant, since you would also be imprisoning an innocent person
THIS ROBOT IS TRANS | AND THERE'S NOTHING YOU CAN DO ABOUT IT | هٰذه الآلة تقتل الفاشيين
(prefer it/its but any pronouns are acceptable)

Shanghai industrial complex
Minister

Founded: Feb 20, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Shanghai industrial complex » Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:13 am

Forsher wrote:

What the fuck?

I have no idea what that says at all.

What I said is that the US... despite constant political and cultural assault on abortion... has vastly stronger legal protections for it than NZ did (and, by the nature of NZ's law, still does... but this is because, as I indicated, our laws, almost all of them, can be changed in a matter of hours).

If you're trying to disagree with that, please use grammar to do so... in order that I may understand your point.

emmmm OK,maybe I understand your point.You means US is doing poorly in politics, while NZ is doing poorly in law?
多看空我 仮面ライダークウガをたくさん見てください Watch more Masked Rider Kukuku Kuuga!

Grenartia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 14, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:21 am

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Kernen wrote:
Catch me in person. I'll make that argument all day. And have. In front of professional peers, no less.

We grabbed a supply of Plan B as a precaution. Promises to be a good time.

I mean, we don't force people to donate blood or organs to save someone else, so why should someone who gets pregnant have to be forced to carry the fetus to term?
Lib-left. Antifascist, antitankie, anti-capitalist, anti-imperialist (including the imperialism of non-western countries). Christian (Unitarian Universalist). Background in physics.
Mostly a girl. She or they pronouns, please. Unrepentant transbian.
Reject tradition, embrace modernity.
People who call themselves based NEVER are.
The truth about kids transitioning.

Forsher
Postmaster of the Fleet

New York Times Democracy

Postby Forsher » Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:53 am

Shanghai industrial complex wrote:emmmm OK,maybe I understand your point.You means US is doing poorly in politics, while NZ is doing poorly in law?

Close enough.

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:08 am

Grenartia wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

I mean, we don't force people to donate blood or organs to save someone else, so why should someone who gets pregnant have to be forced to carry the fetus to term?

Yes, even if we assume the foetus for the sake of argument is a person, the question as to why the foetus gets a right that no other person has, i.e. to use another person's body against their will, for the foetus to override the bodily sovereignty of the woman and use her body in order for their own life to be saved, has not been answered in half a dozen of these abortion threads. Nobody, nobody, else has that right; so why the foetus gets it is unknown.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Crockerland
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 15, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Crockerland » Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:59 am

New haven america wrote:
Samudera Darussalam wrote:I mean, if we are going to be fair, men shouldn't be exempted from slut-shaming in those societies too.

And yet they are, more often than not. So they shouldn't be, but they are.

Also, slut shaming is stupid.

Slut shaming is a virtue.
Free Taiwan, Hong Kong, and Tibet.
Gay not Queer / Why Abortion is Genocide / End Gay Erasure
PROUD SUPPORTER OF:
National Liberalism, Nuclear & Geothermal Power, GMOs, Vaccines, Biodiesel, LGBTIA equality, Universal Healthcare, Universal Basic Income, Constitutional Carry, Emotional Support Twinks, Right to Life

Godular
Forum Moderator

Founded: Sep 09, 2004
New York Times Democracy

Postby Godular » Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:21 am

Crockerland wrote:
New haven america wrote:And yet they are, more often than not. So they shouldn't be, but they are.

That right there be some premium grade A bullshit.
Now the moderation team really IS Godmoding.
Step 1: One-Stop Rules Shop. Step 2: ctrl+f. Step 3: Type in what you saw in modbox. Step 4: Don't do it again.
New to F7? Click here!

Liriena
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Liriena » Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:05 am

Crockerland wrote:
New haven america wrote:And yet they are, more often than not. So they shouldn't be, but they are.

Savonarola called and said you're a prude
be gay do crime

I am:
A pansexual, pantheist, green socialist
An aspiring writer and journalist
Political compass stuff:
Economic Left/Right: -8.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.92
For: Grassroots democracy, workers' self-management, humanitarianism, pacifism, pluralism, environmentalism, interculturalism, indigenous rights, minority rights, LGBT+ rights, feminism, optimism
Against: Nationalism, authoritarianism, fascism, conservatism, populism, violence, ethnocentrism, racism, sexism, religious bigotry, anti-LGBT+ bigotry, death penalty, neoliberalism, tribalism,
cynicism

⚧Copy and paste this in your sig
if you passed biology and know
gender and sex aren't the same thing.⚧

I disown most of my previous posts

Crockerland
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 15, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Crockerland » Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:19 am

Liriena wrote:
Crockerland wrote:Slut shaming is a virtue.

Savonarola called and said you're a prude

Savonarola? I'm pretty sure you're confusing him with this guy:
Free Taiwan, Hong Kong, and Tibet.
Gay not Queer / Why Abortion is Genocide / End Gay Erasure
PROUD SUPPORTER OF:
National Liberalism, Nuclear & Geothermal Power, GMOs, Vaccines, Biodiesel, LGBTIA equality, Universal Healthcare, Universal Basic Income, Constitutional Carry, Emotional Support Twinks, Right to Life

Kernen
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 02, 2011
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Kernen » Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:00 pm

Crockerland wrote:
Liriena wrote:Savonarola called and said you're a prude

Savonarola? I'm pretty sure you're confusing him with this guy:

That meme hit me deep in the funnybone.
From the throne of Khan Juk i'Behemoti, Juk Who-Is-The-Strength-of-the-Behemoth, Supreme Khan of the Ogres of Kernen. May the Khan ever drink the blood of his enemies!

Lawful Evil

Get abortions, do drugs, own guns, but never misstate legal procedure.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:08 pm

Mettaton-EX wrote:a fetus is a person, but no person has the right to use another person's body without their consent.

this also means that you can't send anybody to prison if they're pregnant, since you would also be imprisoning an innocent person

Well, they don't really know the difference.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Katganistan » Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:09 pm

Mettaton-EX wrote:a fetus is a person, but no person has the right to use another person's body without their consent.

Untrue. There are babies born in prison, and then they go live with another relative.
I had a friend who was born in just such circumstances.

Dogmeat
Senator

Founded: Apr 01, 2018
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Dogmeat » Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:24 pm

Katganistan wrote:

Untrue. There are babies born in prison, and then they go live with another relative.
I had a friend who was born in just such circumstances.

Great guy. Went on to become a famous French policeman.
Immortal God Dog
Hey boy, know any tricks?
天狗

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General