NATION

PASSWORD

Legalization of hard drugs

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Gunyria
Bureaucrat

Founded: Dec 30, 2019
Ex-Nation

Legalization of hard drugs

Postby Gunyria » Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:08 am

Definition of Hard Drugs I want to work with: very strong illegal drugs such as heroin and cocaine, an addicting drug capable of producing severe physical or psychological dependence, as heroin.

Hello people! Most of my life I was anti-hard drugs because it seemed to me as unethical to let people legaly destroy their lifes and also I've had some friends who started with drugs and they completely changed. Some of my other reasons to be against hard drugs were my religion and my opinion that addiction is for weak people who can't controll them selves. But. In the last few weeks I've read a lot of articles about how the war on drugs made overall criminality higher etc. and also I have watched a documentary about how Portugal legalized all drugs and that led to much lower overdose rates and addiction rates.

Because of this, I would like to ask you, what do you base your opinions on hard drugs on? Is is religion, crime rate, addiction rate or something else? Please give me the best argunents for or against legalization of hard drugs

I will be really happy to see reasoning of both sides on this issue
Last edited by Gunyria on Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:01 am, edited 4 times in total.

LiberNovusAmericae
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 10, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby LiberNovusAmericae » Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:12 am

viewtopic.php?p=18946099#p18946099

/not a mod but you should read this.

Gunyria
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Gunyria » Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:19 am

LiberNovusAmericae wrote:https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?p=18946099#p18946099

Thank you my friend! I edited my post. Hope it's alright now

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:57 am

LiberNovusAmericae wrote:https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?p=18946099#p18946099

I need to rewrite that, never been happy with it. And, funnily enough, everyone can tell who is a Mod and who isn't. Our nation names are in beautiful, radiant colors while you civilians have just plain old green. Not to mention the title displayed below our names. Thanks, though.

I would like to ask Gunyria what "hard drugs" are?
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Gunyria
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Gunyria » Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:02 am

Farnhamia wrote:

I need to rewrite that, never been happy with it. And, funnily enough, everyone can tell who is a Mod and who isn't. Our nation names are in beautiful, radiant colors while you civilians have just plain old green. Not to mention the title displayed below our names. Thanks, though.

I would like to ask Gunyria what "hard drugs" are?

Thank you very much for reminder. I wrote the definition I want to work with in my first post. Sorry for not putting that in the first time. Thanks again!

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Black Forrest » Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:26 am

Depends on the drugs. Crystal Meth? That stuff really doesn’t have a way to return from.....
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

Chan Island
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:09 am

The Black Forrest wrote:Depends on the drugs. Crystal Meth? That stuff really doesn’t have a way to return from.....

And crocadil is just straight up poison.

But I could see myself legalising some things classed as hard drugs, sure. Cocaine leaves for example are safely chewed widely across south america, and there's no reason why we could not tax and regulate that substance. Lots of bankers seem to take it anyway without it making them drop like flies.
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=513597&p=39401766#p39401766
Conserative Morality wrote:"It's not time yet" is a tactic used by reactionaries in every era. "It's not time for democracy, it's not time for capitalism, it's not time for emancipation." Of course it's not time. It's never time, not on its own. You make it time. If you're under fire in the no-man's land of WW1, you start digging a foxhole even if the ideal time would be when you *aren't* being bombarded, because once you wait for it to be 'time', other situations will need your attention, assuming you survive that long. If the fields aren't furrowed, plow them. If the iron is not hot, make it so. If society is not ready, change it.

Bromagia
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 17, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Bromagia » Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:22 am

No recreational drug should be illegal. Criminalization does not work, makes things worse, and is an unacceptable infringement on the free choice of others.
I'm finished with this forum and the constant goddamn groupthink, virtue signalling, and woke scolding. I thank Max for the good times I've spent here but I just don't fit anymore. Peace.

Kargintina the Third
Senator

Founded: Dec 17, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Kargintina the Third » Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:23 am

Legalize all drugs
Representative Earl Tenson (R-MT-All)

Senate candidate Christina Mudale (R-AL)

Senator Nickolai Dernilski (D-OH)

Houston Mayor Harold Baines (D-TX)

LiberNovusAmericae
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 10, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby LiberNovusAmericae » Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:43 am

Gunyria wrote:

Thank you my friend! I edited my post. Hope it's alright now

No problem.

I think addiction is more of a disease so no favors are really being done by throwing addicts in prison just for putting a substance in their body. If they are violent, that is another story. Many of these non-violent addicts need treatment though, not the punitive force of the law.
Last edited by LiberNovusAmericae on Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:10 pm

In these times of global panic a little valium in the water supply may not be a bad idea.
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Chan Island
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:15 pm

Ethel mermania wrote:In these times of global panic a little valium in the water supply may not be a bad idea.

And in times like these... it would be a fun science experiment to put LSD in the water supply. :p
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=513597&p=39401766#p39401766
Conserative Morality wrote:"It's not time yet" is a tactic used by reactionaries in every era. "It's not time for democracy, it's not time for capitalism, it's not time for emancipation." Of course it's not time. It's never time, not on its own. You make it time. If you're under fire in the no-man's land of WW1, you start digging a foxhole even if the ideal time would be when you *aren't* being bombarded, because once you wait for it to be 'time', other situations will need your attention, assuming you survive that long. If the fields aren't furrowed, plow them. If the iron is not hot, make it so. If society is not ready, change it.

Des-Bal
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 24, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Des-Bal » Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:27 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:Depends on the drugs. Crystal Meth? That stuff really doesn’t have a way to return from.....

Yeah that's why everyone who has ever done it has died. Criminalizatiton of drugs does very little positive. If crystal meth was legally available and you knew exactly what was in it far fewer people would die from the violence uncertainty and lack of quality control associated with criminal enterprises.
Last edited by Des-Bal on Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cekoviu wrote:DES-BAL: Introverted, blunt, focused, utilitarian. Hard to read; not verbose online or likely in real life. Places little emphasis on interpersonal relationships, particularly with online strangers for whom the investment would outweigh the returns.
Desired perception: Logical, intellectual
Public perception: Neutral-positive - blunt, cold, logical, skilled at debating
Mindset: Logos

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 06, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:28 pm

Maybe not legalize as much as decriminalize.
Rojava Free State wrote:Listen yall. I'm only gonna say it once but I want you to remember it. This ain't a world fit for good men. It seems like you gotta be monstrous just to make it. Gotta have a little bit of darkness within you just to survive. You gotta stoop low everyday it seems like. Stoop all the way down to the devil in these times. And then one day you look in the mirror and you realize that you ain't you anymore. You're just another monster, and thanks to your actions, someone else will eventually become as warped and twisted as you. Never forget that the best of us are just the best of a bad lot. Being at the top of a pile of feces doesn't make you anything but shit like the rest. Never forget that.

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:29 pm

Chan Island wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:In these times of global panic a little valium in the water supply may not be a bad idea.

And in times like these... it would be a fun science experiment to put LSD in the water supply. :p

that weed I smoked on Thursday was pretty trippy stuff. It was strong, we need to mark dispensaries as "Essential occupations" in these times of plague and shadow.
Rojava Free State wrote:Listen yall. I'm only gonna say it once but I want you to remember it. This ain't a world fit for good men. It seems like you gotta be monstrous just to make it. Gotta have a little bit of darkness within you just to survive. You gotta stoop low everyday it seems like. Stoop all the way down to the devil in these times. And then one day you look in the mirror and you realize that you ain't you anymore. You're just another monster, and thanks to your actions, someone else will eventually become as warped and twisted as you. Never forget that the best of us are just the best of a bad lot. Being at the top of a pile of feces doesn't make you anything but shit like the rest. Never forget that.

Mushet
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 29, 2008
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Mushet » Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:33 pm

Portugal decriminalized use of hard drugs, they didn't legalize them. There is a substantial difference. Whether it was a net positive or a net negative to them is debatable but it didn't plunge them into chaos. Myself I'm in favor of decriminalizing hard drugs, legalizing marijuana and perhaps other drugs like LSD with appropriate controls.
"what I believe is like a box, and we’re taking the energy of our thinking and putting into a box of beliefs, pretending that we’re thinking...I’ve gone through most of my life not believing anything. Either I know or I don’t know, or I think." - John Trudell

Gun control is, and always has been, a tool of white supremacy.

Puppet: E-City ranked #1 in the world for Highest Drug Use on 5/25/2015
Puppet Sacred Heart Church ranked #2 in the world for Nudest 2/25/2010
OP of a 5 page archived thread The Forum Seven Tit Museum
Previous Official King of Forum 7 (2010-2012/13), relinquished own title
First person to get AQ'd Quote was funnier in 2011, you had to have been there
Celebrating over a decade on Nationstates!

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:46 pm

Nah.

Required detox and rehab for addicts, continued harsh criminalization of trafficking/selling.
Traditionalist Catholic, Constitutional Monarchist, Habsburg Nostalgic, Distributist, Disillusioned Millennial.

"In any case we clearly see....That some opportune remedy must be found quickly for the misery and wretchedness pressing so unjustly on the majority of the working class...it has come to pass that working men have been surrendered, isolated and helpless, to the hardheartedness of employers and the greed of unchecked competition." -Pope Leo XIII, Rerum Novarum

Purpelia
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:13 pm

I would legalize all of it. All of it. Even the stuff that kills you instantly like drinking bleach. But I would put several conditions on that.
1. All drugs sold should have to go through the same quality control program as food or medicine. That way you could ensure people aren't getting poisoned by anything other than the poison they actually chose.
2. All drugs should be sold over the counter in pharmacies to ensure proper access to tools like syringes and thus reduce HIV transmission and the like.
3. All buyers should be forced to sign a waver disqualifying them for ever more from any and all social aid programs, the publicly funded healthcare system and the like.
Purpelia does not reflect my actual world views. In fact, the vast majority of Purpelian cannon is meant to shock and thus deliberately insane. I just like playing with the idea of a country of madmen utterly convinced that everyone else are the barbarians. So play along or not but don't ever think it's for real.

The above post contains hyperbole, metaphoric language, embellishment and exaggeration. It may also include badly translated figures of speech and misused idioms. Analyze accordingly.

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:15 pm

Purpelia wrote:I would legalize all of it. All of it. Even the stuff that kills you instantly like drinking bleach. But I would put several conditions on that.
1. All drugs sold should have to go through the same quality control program as food or medicine. That way you could ensure people aren't getting poisoned by anything other than the poison they actually chose.
2. All drugs should be sold over the counter in pharmacies to ensure proper access to tools like syringes and thus reduce HIV transmission and the like.
3. All buyers should be forced to sign a waver disqualifying them for ever more from any and all social aid programs, the publicly funded healthcare system and the like.

I think we should also establish a waiting period for first time users of three weeks. Within those three weeks they must be sent an anti drug flyer every day and if they still do dope at the end...

Purpelia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:18 pm

Rojava Free State wrote:
Purpelia wrote:I would legalize all of it. All of it. Even the stuff that kills you instantly like drinking bleach. But I would put several conditions on that.

I think we should also establish a waiting period for first time users of three weeks. Within those three weeks they must be sent an anti drug flyer every day and if they still do dope at the end...

I disagree. As far as I am concerned it is morally wrong for us to do anything to prevent or dissuade people from self destructing if that is their choice. Which is why I advocate cutting them off (#3). You want to drink bleach? Fine, drink bleach. It's your choice. Same for taking drugs, smoking or eating a bullet.

Bottom line is a person dying of a heroin overdose after years of use is no different than someone who sucked too hard on a shotgun. The only difference is how long the deliberate suicide took to set in. And as far as I care suicide is a human right.
Last edited by Purpelia on Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Purpelia does not reflect my actual world views. In fact, the vast majority of Purpelian cannon is meant to shock and thus deliberately insane. I just like playing with the idea of a country of madmen utterly convinced that everyone else are the barbarians. So play along or not but don't ever think it's for real.

The above post contains hyperbole, metaphoric language, embellishment and exaggeration. It may also include badly translated figures of speech and misused idioms. Analyze accordingly.

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 04, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:19 pm

Yes. But I'd have a license required, with name and license number recorded when purchasing the legal drugs. Anyone who provides the drugs to children or administers them to anyone without consent, would lose their license.

Marijuana would not be licensed.
I report offenses if and only if they are crimes.
No footwear industry: citizens cannot afford new shoes.
High rate of Nobel prizes and other academic achievements.

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:20 pm

Purpelia wrote:
Rojava Free State wrote:

I disagree. As far as I am concerned it is morally wrong for us to do anything to prevent or dissuade people from self destructing if that is their choice. Which is why I advocate cutting them off (#3). You want to drink bleach? Fine, drink bleach. It's your choice. Same for taking drugs, smoking or eating a bullet.

Why is it morally wrong to try and save someone? If we talk even one person off of a ledge, I think we've done the greatest good.

Purpelia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:22 pm

Rojava Free State wrote:
Purpelia wrote:I disagree. As far as I am concerned it is morally wrong for us to do anything to prevent or dissuade people from self destructing if that is their choice. Which is why I advocate cutting them off (#3). You want to drink bleach? Fine, drink bleach. It's your choice. Same for taking drugs, smoking or eating a bullet.

Why is it morally wrong to try and save someone? If we talk even one person off of a ledge, I think we've done the greatest good.

Because in doing so you are undermining his agency and control over the most basic of human rights, that being the right to live. If you deny someone the right to chose his own death than you are denying him the right to chose his own life as well. So whilst it is good to save people who are sick or get into an accident or are attacked it is not good to "save" those who deliberately seek death out. Because life or death is their choice to make. And no matter how we feel about that choice we must allow them to make it.
Last edited by Purpelia on Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Snazzylands
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 20, 2015
Iron Fist Socialists

Postby The Snazzylands » Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:24 pm

I'm all for decriminalization. It should be very clear by now that having all forms of drug possession be a criminal offense does a lot more harm than good. Legalization is something different and could have some unforeseen negative consequences.

For example, the reason performance enhancing substances are banned in sports is because otherwise there would always be an incentive for every player to use them, as they give a substantial advantage over someone who does not.
This might be an extreme example, but people who work on Wall Street are known to often use amphetamines, cocaine, or other stimulants in order to keep up with all the work they're expected to do. If these drugs are outright legalized, it's possible that would just exacerbate the problem, and some people in highly competitive work environments could feel like they're expected to use these drugs in order to work more.

Des-Bal wrote:

Yeah that's why everyone who has ever done it has died. Criminalizatiton of drugs does very little positive. If crystal meth was legally available and you knew exactly what was in it far fewer people would die from the violence uncertainty and lack of quality control associated with criminal enterprises.

Okay this is a bit hyperbolic. People who try meth don't instantly die. But people who get hooked on it build a tolerance to it, and need to keep increasing their dosage which makes overdoses much more likely.
Mind awaits entrance
Of a witty signature.
One has yet to come.

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:27 pm

Purpelia wrote:
Rojava Free State wrote:

Because in doing so you are undermining his agency and control over the most basic of human rights, that being the right to live. If you deny someone the right to chose his own death than you are denying him the right to chose his own life as well. So whilst it is good to save people who are sick or get into an accident or are attacked it is not good to "save" those who deliberately seek death out. Because life or death is their choice to make. And no matter how we feel about that choice we must allow them to make it.

Most drug addicts are not choosing to die, and I'm not saying we should kidnap them and make them stop, but I think I am very much in the right to tell a friend of mine "you have a problem. You need to stop." If they listen to my advice, that's one less victim of the heroin crisis.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General