NATION

PASSWORD

The myth called "Human Rights"

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Vesser
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 08, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Vesser » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:22 pm

I feel the need to make a statement here.

This is like arguing with a potato.

That is all.

Vetalia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 23, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Vetalia » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:43 pm

Well, if it weren't for human rights you wouldn't have the ability to discuss them in the first place...
Economic Left/Right: 0.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.05

Rolamec
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 15, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Rolamec » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:20 pm

Rhodmhire wrote:Well, no fucking shit we created it, we gave the concept a name and actually figured out what the hell it was after we got keen. Maybe you wouldn't say we "created" it, but did we "create" time? Technically we just constructed a (mostly) accurate system of telling time based off of recurring patterns of celestial bodies and, in more ancient contexts, terrestrial occurrences.

We may not be endowed by some Santa in the sky, but just because it's not inherent, perhaps, it's a "myth?"

What exactly are you trying to say?

Was that aimed at anyone specifically?
Rolamec of New Earth
A Proud and Progressive Republican.
"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." -John Wayne

Economic Left/Right: 4.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 2.05

Rhodmhire
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Rhodmhire » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:31 pm

Rolamec wrote:
Rhodmhire wrote:Well, no fucking shit we created it, we gave the concept a name and actually figured out what the hell it was after we got keen. Maybe you wouldn't say we "created" it, but did we "create" time? Technically we just constructed a (mostly) accurate system of telling time based off of recurring patterns of celestial bodies and, in more ancient contexts, terrestrial occurrences.

We may not be endowed by some Santa in the sky, but just because it's not inherent, perhaps, it's a "myth?"

What exactly are you trying to say?

Was that aimed at anyone specifically?

Mainly the OP, because I honestly have no idea what he/she is trying to say, I'd love for him/her to clarify--I might just concur, but I just frankly have no idea what to make of it from what I've read.
Part of me grew up here. But part of growing up is leaving parts of ourselves behind.

Jaunty tunes
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 15, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Jaunty tunes » Sat May 01, 2010 12:34 am

Well, if it weren't for human rights you wouldn't have the ability to discuss them in the first place...

not at all

It is just the lack of oppression from others stoping you talking about human rights. It is just a lack of power by others. Rights are no more than an intellectual ideology. The only true right is the right of power. In nature the deer has no right to life when the lion eats it. The deer either has the power to escape of the lion uses its power of predation. everything is a power struggle.
Humans are the same. The only reason you can talk about human rights is because others do not wish to risk the physical fight of stopping you from talking about it or if they do wish to risk a physical fight about it they are kept at bay by people being payed to stop them.

New Heliopolis
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 12, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby New Heliopolis » Sat May 01, 2010 7:13 am

Jaunty tunes wrote:

not at all

It is just the lack of oppression from others stoping you talking about human rights. It is just a lack of power by others. Rights are no more than an intellectual ideology. The only true right is the right of power. In nature the deer has no right to life when the lion eats it. The deer either has the power to escape of the lion uses its power of predation. everything is a power struggle.
Humans are the same. The only reason you can talk about human rights is because others do not wish to risk the physical fight of stopping you from talking about it or if they do wish to risk a physical fight about it they are kept at bay by people being payed to stop them.

Rights can be violated, though. Just because someone isn't receiving their rights does not mean they don't have them.
Excellent Quotes:
JJ Place wrote: just because an organization tells you that them taking money from you isn't theft because they have more rights than any other organization is one of the lamest arguments a person can utilize in a debate; saying that the government can do what it likes because it writes it's own law is intellectually dishonest, and flies in the face of all reality.

Lucantis wrote:If a fat man puts you in a bag at night, don't worry I told Santa I wanted you for Christmas.

Volnotov
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 27, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Volnotov » Sat May 01, 2010 7:16 am

Vesser wrote:I feel the need to make a statement here.

This is like arguing with a potato.

That is all.

Troll?
What is your political orientation?
Participate now in the NS Political Orietnation Poll!

Political Spectrum Quiz Results

"There are those people that believe that we are all equal, that every person should recieve an equal piece of the cake regardless of what they contributed to it.
I believe in a fair society, were those that contributed the most to the cake recieve the biggest share. Maybe that is not *equal*, but sure it is fair."

Ceiling Cats
Attaché

Founded: Nov 04, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Ceiling Cats » Sat May 01, 2010 7:24 am

Volnotov wrote:
EvilDarkMagicians wrote:So what exactly is your point?

That people stop bitching about their non-existant human rights and stop trying to hamper the progress of human society because they can't put the greater good above their pathetic self interests and above their primitive animal instincts.

Have lots of lovely fluffy stars for that. :clap: :clap: :clap:

I would add, however, That if we MUST have man made human rights, those rights should be tempered by 'human responsibility' and anyone who flagrantly denies their responsibilities or ignores the rights of others, should forfeit their own 'human rights'.

Phenia
Senator

Founded: May 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Phenia » Sat May 01, 2010 7:34 am

Volnotov wrote:Really, I have no intention anymore whatsoever to tell you that altruism does not exist.

Aw why not? Maybe if you repeat it a few dozen more times it'll become true through the power of MAGIC!

But feel free to fool your self.

Altruism exists. It exists in nature, and it exists in humans. You - you of the "I would have no problem deporting the Jews and Muslims" moral standpoint - don't understand it because apparently you don't have any compassion or altruistic tendencies. However, you're simply projecting when you then insist no one is altruistic... projecting, and fooling yourself.

Volnotov
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Volnotov » Sat May 01, 2010 7:46 am

Phenia wrote:
Volnotov wrote:Really, I have no intention anymore whatsoever to tell you that altruism does not exist.

Aw why not? Maybe if you repeat it a few dozen more times it'll become true through the power of MAGIC!

Altruism exists. It exists in nature, and it exists in humans. You - you of the "I would have no problem deporting the Jews and Muslims" moral standpoint - don't understand it because apparently you don't have any compassion or altruistic tendencies. However, you're simply projecting when you then insist no one is altruistic... projecting, and fooling yourself.

Did I say I was altruistic?

Also, really people. Learn to read the thread, or if you are going to reply skip a few pages back and start reading from there.

*sigh*

EDIT: A moderator should probrally close this thread, and then I will make a new thread about altruism and eveyrthing discussed the last three to five pages.
Last edited by Volnotov on Sat May 01, 2010 7:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

"There are those people that believe that we are all equal, that every person should recieve an equal piece of the cake regardless of what they contributed to it.
I believe in a fair society, were those that contributed the most to the cake recieve the biggest share. Maybe that is not *equal*, but sure it is fair."

Phenia
Senator

Founded: May 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Phenia » Sat May 01, 2010 8:13 am

Volnotov wrote:
Phenia wrote:

No. Did I say you said you were altruistic? Does this question have anything to do with what I just wrote?

Also, really people. Learn to read the thread, or if you are going to reply skip a few pages back and start reading from there.

Learn to read? What a brilliant idea. How about you start with reading my posts when you quote them and reply to them I've been doing thisall the time and it workswell , trust me.

Volnotov
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Volnotov » Sat May 01, 2010 8:17 am

Phenia wrote:
Volnotov wrote:
Phenia wrote:

No. Did I say you said you were altruistic? Does this question have anything to do with what I just wrote?

Learn to read? What a brilliant idea. How about you start with reading my posts when you quote them and reply to them I've been doing thisall the time and it workswell , trust me.

My opinions have changed, read last page. And sorry, I misread you. I just hate having to type the same reply over and over again when opinion about this subject has changed and the opinion I currently have is located on the previous page(bottom).

Big Jim P
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Big Jim P » Sat May 01, 2010 8:23 am

Ultimately, there is no such things as "rights" human or otherwise. The universe/nature/reality does not care whether you or I exist, let alone have the "right" to anything. That being said, the concept of "rights" is one of humanities greater creations. *nod*
Hail Satan!
Happily married to Roan Cara, The first RL NS marriage, and Pope Joan is my Father-in-law.
I edit my posts to fix typos.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General