NATION

PASSWORD

Hetero White Males underrepresented on British TV

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jun 14, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Ostroeuropa » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:00 am

Aclion wrote:
Great Confederacy of Commonwealth States wrote:First of all: you made those up to be mad about diversity. Those are not real problems. No-one is turning away white people because they are white. Your views force you to believe that British TV, dominated by white men, is somehow averse to white men.

I do have two questions:

1. Why are you only worried about this ‘problem’ when it concerns white males, but not when the same thing happens to minorities?
2. Why do you make up these convoluted, unsupported theories about something just to make yourself mad?

What an insufferably conceited straw-man.

The progressive left pretends not to understand the point so they can gaslight people. See above.
Ostro.MOV

There is an out of control trolley speeding towards Jeremy Bentham, who is tied to the track. You can pull the lever to cause the trolley to switch tracks, but on the other track is Immanuel Kant. Bentham is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Critique of Pure Reason. Kant is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Principles of Moral Legislation. Both men are shouting at you that they have recently started to reconsider their ethical stances.

Uiiop
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 20, 2012
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Uiiop » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:04 am

Galloism wrote:I'm certainly not convinced by this argument, but I also wasn't convinced of the argument back in the 90s or whatever that 6% of people on US TV are black while they make up 12% of the population and that's therefore unjust somehow.

This argument is the same argument about proportional representation stuck to statistical specifics, where no amount of proportional representation is enough for people who are dancing monkeys for the public's entertainment tv stars anyway.

Best person for the job. Come on people.

^this

Any problems with portrayals and actors and shit aren't going to change by the numbers fitting.

People didn't fully buy into the pure stats reasoning back then and don't really give a shit now.
Using it ain't going to convince people either about your cause or how other people are dumb.
Last edited by Uiiop on Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
#NSTransparency

Jello Biafra
Negotiator

Founded: Antiquity
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Jello Biafra » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:05 am

Galloism wrote:Best person for the job. Come on people.

How do we determine who is the best person for the job?

Bear Stearns
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 02, 2018
Capitalizt

Postby Bear Stearns » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:06 am

Jello Biafra wrote:

By having a standard that everyone is held to and using that standard to compare candidates?
The Bear Stearns Companies, Inc. is a New York-based global investment bank, securities trading and brokerage firm. Its main business areas are capital markets, investment banking, wealth management and global clearing services. Bear Stearns was founded as an equity trading house on May Day 1923 by Joseph Ainslie Bear, Robert B. Stearns and Harold C. Mayer with $500,000 in capital.
383 Madison Ave,
New York, NY 10017
Vince Vaughn

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:07 am

Bear Stearns wrote:
Jello Biafra wrote:How do we determine who is the best person for the job?

By having a standard that everyone is held to and using that standard to compare candidates?

When casting a TV show?
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

Jello Biafra
Negotiator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Jello Biafra » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:10 am

Bear Stearns wrote:

So then if there is an audition for a barista at Starbucks, and an audition for a biopic of Martin Luther King Jr., and the same actor is the best by that standard, then that actor should win both roles, no matter who he or she is?

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Postby Ostroeuropa » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:11 am

Jello Biafra wrote:

By rejecting progressive gaslighting lik e people have argued for decades? They are either good or not
Last edited by Ostroeuropa on Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ostro.MOV

There is an out of control trolley speeding towards Jeremy Bentham, who is tied to the track. You can pull the lever to cause the trolley to switch tracks, but on the other track is Immanuel Kant. Bentham is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Critique of Pure Reason. Kant is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Principles of Moral Legislation. Both men are shouting at you that they have recently started to reconsider their ethical stances.

Bear Stearns
Postmaster-General

Capitalizt

Postby Bear Stearns » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:13 am

Cannot think of a name wrote:
Bear Stearns wrote:

When casting a TV show?

For really anything in life.
The Bear Stearns Companies, Inc. is a New York-based global investment bank, securities trading and brokerage firm. Its main business areas are capital markets, investment banking, wealth management and global clearing services. Bear Stearns was founded as an equity trading house on May Day 1923 by Joseph Ainslie Bear, Robert B. Stearns and Harold C. Mayer with $500,000 in capital.
383 Madison Ave,
New York, NY 10017
Vince Vaughn

Bear Stearns
Postmaster-General

Capitalizt

Postby Bear Stearns » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:14 am

Jello Biafra wrote:
Bear Stearns wrote:

So then if there is an audition for a barista at Starbucks, and an audition for a biopic of Martin Luther King Jr., and the same actor is the best by that standard, then that actor should win both roles, no matter who he or she is?

What's the problem? :^)
383 Madison Ave,
New York, NY 10017
Vince Vaughn

Jello Biafra
Negotiator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Jello Biafra » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:16 am

Bear Stearns wrote:
Jello Biafra wrote:So then if there is an audition for a barista at Starbucks, and an audition for a biopic of Martin Luther King Jr., and the same actor is the best by that standard, then that actor should win both roles, no matter who he or she is?

I suppose that by the smile here you're being facetious with the question, but in case someone else reads this and would legitimately ask this question, the problem is that talent alone is not enough to be able to realistically portray a particular character.

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:19 am

Ostroeuropa wrote:

By rejecting progressive gaslighting lik e people have argued for decades? They are either good or not

That's not what gaslighting means.

Page
Post Marshal

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Page » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:21 am

There seems to be an assumption that when a film or series features a non-white/non-hetero/non-male, there just has to be a political agenda. The fact that it seems beyond comprehension that anyone would want to create a character who isn't a straight white male does so just because they want to.

And people complain about "forced diversity" regardless of the proportion of representation. When Mass Effect 3 came out back in 2012, people complained that there was an option for male Shepard to have a male lover. The fact that male Shepard had 4 female lovers to choose from didn't seem to matter, nor the fact that female Shepard had female romance options from the first game (because in the eyes of homophobic men, gay guys are disgusting while lesbians are sex objects that exist for male pleasure).

People said Star Wars having an Asian woman as a character was "forced diversity."

Meanwhile, plenty of films, series, and video games that feature white men are out there, many of them highly acclaimed. Breaking Bad, The Sopranos, Red Dead Redemption.
Anarcho-Communist Against: Bolsheviks, Fascists, TERFs, Putin, Autocrats, Conservatives, Ancaps, Bourgeoisie, Bigots, Liberals, Maoists

I don't believe in kink-shaming unless your kink is submitting to the state.

Satuga
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 27, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Satuga » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:21 am

Heloin wrote:
Ostroeuropa wrote:

I mean if people are trying to convince someone they're racist for not picking the insert opinion that is probably gas-lighting.
Alt-Acc: Kronotek.
Funny quotes:
Infected Mushroom wrote:I don’t like democracy. It’s messy, disorderly, unclean.

I much prefer uniforms, soldiers, clear lines of authority, order.
Tarsonis wrote:
Fartsniffage wrote:Can the pair of you go do it in one of the myriad American politics threads?

(Image)

So help me I will throw your tea into the harbor again

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Postby Ostroeuropa » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:23 am

Heloin wrote:
Ostroeuropa wrote:

When the progressives argue if you domt support womens shelters because women are more likely to face DV (despite all,evidence suggesting its eqqul) that ie gaslighting. This is their main engagement in politics at this point. Acting like it it established and unconvterevertible fact that white men are evil and treating you like you are evil or insane when you note this isnt true. They are a psychologically violent political movement.
Last edited by Ostroeuropa on Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ostro.MOV

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:24 am

Satuga wrote:
Heloin wrote:That's not what gaslighting means.

I mean if people are trying to convince someone they're racist for not picking the insert opinion that is probably gas-lighting.

That's not gaslighting. Gaslighting is manipulation, manipulation isn't gaslighting.

Gormwood
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 25, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Gormwood » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:25 am

Julia Roberts could have played Harriet Tubman if not for those damn SJW progressives. :)
Bloodthirsty savages who call for violence against the Right while simultaneously being unarmed defenseless sissies who will get slaughtered by the gun-toting Right in a civil war.
Breath So Bad, It Actually Drives People Mad

Jello Biafra
Negotiator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Jello Biafra » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:27 am

Gormwood wrote:Julia Roberts could have played Harriet Tubman if not for those damn SJW progressives. :)

Don't be silly. Having a woman in that role is SJWism. They should've cast Chuck Norris as Harriet Tubman.

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:28 am

Jello Biafra wrote:
Gormwood wrote:Julia Roberts could have played Harriet Tubman if not for those damn SJW progressives. :)

Don't be silly. Having a woman in that role is SJWism. They should've cast Chuck Norris as Harriet Tubman.

It all went downhill once the Globe Theater started casting women to play women, I tells ya.
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

Satuga
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 27, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Satuga » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:28 am

Page wrote:There seems to be an assumption that when a film or series features a non-white/non-hetero/non-male, there just has to be a political agenda. The fact that it seems beyond comprehension that anyone would want to create a character who isn't a straight white male does so just because they want to.

And people complain about "forced diversity" regardless of the proportion of representation. When Mass Effect 3 came out back in 2012, people complained that there was an option for male Shepard to have a male lover. The fact that male Shepard had 4 female lovers to choose from didn't seem to matter, nor the fact that female Shepard had female romance options from the first game (because in the eyes of homophobic men, gay guys are disgusting while lesbians are sex objects that exist for male pleasure).

People said Star Wars having an Asian woman as a character was "forced diversity."

Meanwhile, plenty of films, series, and video games that feature white men are out there, many of them highly acclaimed. Breaking Bad, The Sopranos, Red Dead Redemption.

Umm have you played RDR one or two? There's a pretty diverse cast there, especially in 2, the crew comprises of a Native American, African American, Caucasians, and even an Austrian.
Alt-Acc: Kronotek.
Funny quotes:
Infected Mushroom wrote:I don’t like democracy. It’s messy, disorderly, unclean.

I much prefer uniforms, soldiers, clear lines of authority, order.
Tarsonis wrote:
Fartsniffage wrote:Can the pair of you go do it in one of the myriad American politics threads?

(Image)

So help me I will throw your tea into the harbor again

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:28 am

Ostroeuropa wrote:
Heloin wrote:That's not what gaslighting means.

When the progs argue if you domt support womens shelters because women are more likely to face DV (despite all,evidence suggesting its eqqul) that ie gaslighting. This is their main engagement in politics at this point. Acting like it it established and unconvterevertible fact that white men are evil and treating you like you are evil or insane when you note this isnt true. They are a psychologically violent political movement.

Still not gaslighting. Gaslighting means a very specific thing. If you think it's manipulative to cast non white actors in films and telly (for some reason) that's your problem.

Also every time you say Progs I can only think of this.

Bear Stearns
Postmaster-General

Capitalizt

Postby Bear Stearns » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:29 am

Jello Biafra wrote:
Bear Stearns wrote:

I suppose that by the smile here you're being facetious with the question, but in case someone else reads this and would legitimately ask this question, the problem is that talent alone is not enough to be able to realistically portray a particular character.

So you're saying race is a crucial component of how well a character is portrayed?

Great, then let's stop remaking Euro-American historical/folk stories with shoehorned-in Africans.
383 Madison Ave,
New York, NY 10017
Vince Vaughn

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Postby Ostroeuropa » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:29 am

Jello Biafra wrote:

Ofcouree I didnt beat you, you're so comical for suggesting it. It never happened and you're so crazy for suggesting g it I'll compare you to antivaxxers.
Ostro.MOV

Bear Stearns
Postmaster-General

Capitalizt

Postby Bear Stearns » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:29 am

Heloin wrote:
Ostroeuropa wrote:

When the progs argue if you domt support womens shelters because women are more likely to face DV (despite all,evidence suggesting its eqqul) that ie gaslighting. This is their main engagement in politics at this point. Acting like it it established and unconvterevertible fact that white men are evil and treating you like you are evil or insane when you note this isnt true. They are a psychologically violent political movement.

Still not gaslighting. Gaslighting means a very specific thing. If you think it's manipulative to cast non white actors in films and telly (for some reason) that's your problem.

It's gaslighting to say that discrimination against white actors isn't happening in one breath and then actually doing it another.
383 Madison Ave,
New York, NY 10017
Vince Vaughn

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:30 am

Jello Biafra wrote:

ngl I'd watch that.

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Postby Ostroeuropa » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:30 am

Heloin wrote:
Ostroeuropa wrote:

The gaslighting occurs in the progressive left response to criticism. See above.
Ostro.MOV

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General