NATION

PASSWORD

Are people born evil?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Can life turn a good person evil?

Yes
112
50%
No
52
23%
No opinion
8
4%
Maybe?
17
8%
Evil isn't real, and your morality is minimal
37
16%
 
Total votes : 226

User avatar
An Alan Smithee Nation
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5721
Founded: Apr 18, 2018
New York Times Democracy

Postby An Alan Smithee Nation » Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:32 am

So abortion is our best weapon in the battle against evil.
Everything is intertwinkled

User avatar
Ifreann
Post Overlord
 
Posts: 141466
Founded: Aug 07, 2005
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Ifreann » Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:32 am

Jerzylvania wrote:
Ifreann wrote:Using mean words to describe Bloomberg doesn't mean I think he's evil. Stop being so sensitive when people talk shit about your favourite billionaire.

Mean words add up to mean sentences and hateful screeds. Your are skilled, no doubt. Not my favorite billionaire. Where did you pull that from? That overactive imagination?

You came to another thread to defend him.
Mistake Not My Current State Of Regular Thorough Handwashing For The Awesome And Terrible Majesty Of The Towering Seas Of Mask Wearing That Are Themselves The Mere Milquetoast Shallows Fringing My Vast Oceans Of Social Distancing
He/Him

You've got a lonesome road to walk, and it ain't along the railroad track, and it ain't along the black-top tar you walked a hundred times before.
I'll tell you where the real road lies: between your ears, behind your eyes. That is the path to paradise, likewise the road to ruin.

User avatar
Rojava Free State
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 19432
Founded: Feb 06, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:23 am

Jerzylvania wrote:
Ifreann wrote:Using mean words to describe Bloomberg doesn't mean I think he's evil. Stop being so sensitive when people talk shit about your favourite billionaire.

Mean words add up to mean sentences and hateful screeds. Your are skilled, no doubt. Not my favorite billionaire. Where did you pull that from? That overactive imagination?


You literally are the only person here who flipped out when someone talked shit about Michael Bloomberg.
Rojava Free State wrote:Listen yall. I'm only gonna say it once but I want you to remember it. This ain't a world fit for good men. It seems like you gotta be monstrous just to make it. Gotta have a little bit of darkness within you just to survive. You gotta stoop low everyday it seems like. Stoop all the way down to the devil in these times. And then one day you look in the mirror and you realize that you ain't you anymore. You're just another monster, and thanks to your actions, someone else will eventually become as warped and twisted as you. Never forget that the best of us are just the best of a bad lot. Being at the top of a pile of feces doesn't make you anything but shit like the rest. Never forget that.

User avatar
Rojava Free State
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 19432
Founded: Feb 06, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:24 am

Nuroblav wrote:
Rost Dreadnorramus wrote:Yes.

How? What makes someone automatically evil without having done anything in the first place?
Andsed wrote:How though? How can one be evil when they have done nothing evil? I mean I dislike babies as much as the next guy but calling them evil is quite the stretch.

It might be something to do with original sin, a concept I've always disagreed with.


As an atheist I too disagree with the concept
Rojava Free State wrote:Listen yall. I'm only gonna say it once but I want you to remember it. This ain't a world fit for good men. It seems like you gotta be monstrous just to make it. Gotta have a little bit of darkness within you just to survive. You gotta stoop low everyday it seems like. Stoop all the way down to the devil in these times. And then one day you look in the mirror and you realize that you ain't you anymore. You're just another monster, and thanks to your actions, someone else will eventually become as warped and twisted as you. Never forget that the best of us are just the best of a bad lot. Being at the top of a pile of feces doesn't make you anything but shit like the rest. Never forget that.

User avatar
Hurdergaryp
Post Czar
 
Posts: 35602
Founded: Jul 10, 2016
Democratic Socialists

Postby Hurdergaryp » Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:28 am

Neanderthaland wrote:There's no answer to this that's not incredibly reductionist.

But what the hell. Short version: People are a kind of ape. They're capable of a lot of things, but consistency and emotional stability aren't among them.

Results may vary, but Neanderthaland has a strong point. Neurological diversity and the presence of stubborn memetics at odds with reality tend to complicate matters even more.


“Everything under heaven is in utter chaos; the situation is excellent.”
Mao Zedong

User avatar
Page
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 12361
Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Page » Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:29 am

There are no good and evil people, there are only beneficial and harmful actions.
All about dat FREE stuff: FREE hotel rooms for immigrants - FREE health care - FREE speech - FREE Chelsea Manning and Julian Assange

"If the Nuremberg laws were applied, then every post-war American president would have been hanged." - Noam Chomsky

Protect yourself from Covid-19: Stop licking boots.

User avatar
Hurdergaryp
Post Czar
 
Posts: 35602
Founded: Jul 10, 2016
Democratic Socialists

Postby Hurdergaryp » Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:30 am

An Alan Smithee Nation wrote:So abortion is our best weapon in the battle against evil.

Inefficient. Sterilization is clearly the superior choice when it comes to this grand conflict.


“Everything under heaven is in utter chaos; the situation is excellent.”
Mao Zedong

User avatar
Ethel mermania
Post Kaiser
 
Posts: 106761
Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:37 am

Hurdergaryp wrote:
Neanderthaland wrote:There's no answer to this that's not incredibly reductionist.

But what the hell. Short version: People are a kind of ape. They're capable of a lot of things, but consistency and emotional stability aren't among them.

Results may vary, but Neanderthaland has a strong point. Neurological diversity and the presence of stubborn memetics at odds with reality tend to complicate matters even more.

We as a species really do underappreciate the biological factors, that motivate human beings to think and do things. (And I mean brain chemistry not sex (for a change))
The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.

http://www.salientpartners.com/epsilont ... ilizations

User avatar
Jerzylvania
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 10062
Founded: Aug 10, 2016
Father Knows Best State

Postby Jerzylvania » Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:42 am

Ifreann wrote:
Jerzylvania wrote:Mean words add up to mean sentences and hateful screeds. Your are skilled, no doubt. Not my favorite billionaire. Where did you pull that from? That overactive imagination?

You came to another thread to defend him.


No, i did not. Get your story straight. I was already here on this thread before you. Then I saw you defending your favorite propagandist Heinrich Himmler.
Biden 2020 - Vote for America

Below: Check today's official "new" Jerzylvania anthem choices! Vote for your choice via TG! Lamar Jackson measured in kinetic energy means.... touchdowns, touchdowns, touchdowns!

User avatar
Hurdergaryp
Post Czar
 
Posts: 35602
Founded: Jul 10, 2016
Democratic Socialists

Postby Hurdergaryp » Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:44 am

Ethel mermania wrote:
Hurdergaryp wrote:Results may vary, but Neanderthaland has a strong point. Neurological diversity and the presence of stubborn memetics at odds with reality tend to complicate matters even more.

We as a species really do underappreciate the biological factors, that motivate human beings to think and do things. (And I mean brain chemistry not sex (for a change))

Over the centuries we have convinced ourselves that we are above the animal kingdom instead of being a part of it. This tends to bite our species in the ass over and over again, but to no avail. Humanity keeps seeing itself as the crown of creation, but to this world we're a crown of thorns at best.


“Everything under heaven is in utter chaos; the situation is excellent.”
Mao Zedong

User avatar
Ifreann
Post Overlord
 
Posts: 141466
Founded: Aug 07, 2005
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Ifreann » Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:49 am

Jerzylvania wrote:
Ifreann wrote:You came to another thread to defend him.


No, i did not. Get your story straight. I was already here on this thread before you. Then I saw you defending your favorite propagandist Heinrich Himmler.

This really what you wanna do? Start calling me a Nazi because I don't like Bloomberg?
Mistake Not My Current State Of Regular Thorough Handwashing For The Awesome And Terrible Majesty Of The Towering Seas Of Mask Wearing That Are Themselves The Mere Milquetoast Shallows Fringing My Vast Oceans Of Social Distancing
He/Him

You've got a lonesome road to walk, and it ain't along the railroad track, and it ain't along the black-top tar you walked a hundred times before.
I'll tell you where the real road lies: between your ears, behind your eyes. That is the path to paradise, likewise the road to ruin.

User avatar
Ethel mermania
Post Kaiser
 
Posts: 106761
Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:56 am

Hurdergaryp wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:We as a species really do underappreciate the biological factors, that motivate human beings to think and do things. (And I mean brain chemistry not sex (for a change))

Over the centuries we have convinced ourselves that we are above the animal kingdom instead of being a part of it. This tends to bite our species in the ass over and over again, but to no avail. Humanity keeps seeing itself as the crown of creation, but to this world we're a crown of thorns at best.


I am going to steal that line, just so you know.
The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.

http://www.salientpartners.com/epsilont ... ilizations

User avatar
Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 54475
Founded: Jun 14, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Ostroeuropa » Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:01 am

Some mental conditions may be present at birth and cause anti-social tendencies. This is rare, and the vast amount of harm done in the world is not a result of this, but for more banal reasons.
The plague has been worse for women.
It's true that more men are dying from COVID, but that's not exactly a cause for celebration.
https://i.redd.it/oqy5p3p1ayv41.png

User avatar
Rojava Free State
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 19432
Founded: Feb 06, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:11 am

Ifreann wrote:
Jerzylvania wrote:
No, i did not. Get your story straight. I was already here on this thread before you. Then I saw you defending your favorite propagandist Heinrich Himmler.

This really what you wanna do? Start calling me a Nazi because I don't like Bloomberg?


This kind of behavior from the few bloomberg supporters that exist makes me fear a Bloomberg presidency.
Rojava Free State wrote:Listen yall. I'm only gonna say it once but I want you to remember it. This ain't a world fit for good men. It seems like you gotta be monstrous just to make it. Gotta have a little bit of darkness within you just to survive. You gotta stoop low everyday it seems like. Stoop all the way down to the devil in these times. And then one day you look in the mirror and you realize that you ain't you anymore. You're just another monster, and thanks to your actions, someone else will eventually become as warped and twisted as you. Never forget that the best of us are just the best of a bad lot. Being at the top of a pile of feces doesn't make you anything but shit like the rest. Never forget that.

User avatar
Rojava Free State
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 19432
Founded: Feb 06, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:12 am

Hurdergaryp wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:We as a species really do underappreciate the biological factors, that motivate human beings to think and do things. (And I mean brain chemistry not sex (for a change))

Over the centuries we have convinced ourselves that we are above the animal kingdom instead of being a part of it. This tends to bite our species in the ass over and over again, but to no avail. Humanity keeps seeing itself as the crown of creation, but to this world we're a crown of thorns at best.


I'm taking this
Rojava Free State wrote:Listen yall. I'm only gonna say it once but I want you to remember it. This ain't a world fit for good men. It seems like you gotta be monstrous just to make it. Gotta have a little bit of darkness within you just to survive. You gotta stoop low everyday it seems like. Stoop all the way down to the devil in these times. And then one day you look in the mirror and you realize that you ain't you anymore. You're just another monster, and thanks to your actions, someone else will eventually become as warped and twisted as you. Never forget that the best of us are just the best of a bad lot. Being at the top of a pile of feces doesn't make you anything but shit like the rest. Never forget that.

User avatar
Hurdergaryp
Post Czar
 
Posts: 35602
Founded: Jul 10, 2016
Democratic Socialists

Postby Hurdergaryp » Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:16 am

Rojava Free State wrote:
Ifreann wrote:This really what you wanna do? Start calling me a Nazi because I don't like Bloomberg?

This kind of behavior from the few bloomberg supporters that exist makes me fear a Bloomberg presidency.

Probably not too much shall change: divide & exploit the American people, so that the robber baron elite can continue being the actual masters of the USA. Internet has proven to be a magnificent asset in keeping the masses distracted, so that they shall never be able to actually organize and enforce real change.


“Everything under heaven is in utter chaos; the situation is excellent.”
Mao Zedong

User avatar
Jerzylvania
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 10062
Founded: Aug 10, 2016
Father Knows Best State

Postby Jerzylvania » Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:25 am

Ifreann wrote:
Jerzylvania wrote:
No, i did not. Get your story straight. I was already here on this thread before you. Then I saw you defending your favorite propagandist Heinrich Himmler.

This really what you wanna do? Start calling me a Nazi because I don't like Bloomberg?

Don't be so sensitive. You know exactly what is happening here.
Biden 2020 - Vote for America

Below: Check today's official "new" Jerzylvania anthem choices! Vote for your choice via TG! Lamar Jackson measured in kinetic energy means.... touchdowns, touchdowns, touchdowns!

User avatar
Hurdergaryp
Post Czar
 
Posts: 35602
Founded: Jul 10, 2016
Democratic Socialists

Postby Hurdergaryp » Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:30 am

Ethel mermania wrote:
Hurdergaryp wrote:Over the centuries we have convinced ourselves that we are above the animal kingdom instead of being a part of it. This tends to bite our species in the ass over and over again, but to no avail. Humanity keeps seeing itself as the crown of creation, but to this world we're a crown of thorns at best.

I am going to steal that line, just so you know.

Very well.
Rojava Free State wrote:
Hurdergaryp wrote:Over the centuries we have convinced ourselves that we are above the animal kingdom instead of being a part of it. This tends to bite our species in the ass over and over again, but to no avail. Humanity keeps seeing itself as the crown of creation, but to this world we're a crown of thorns at best.

I'm taking this

Also very well.


“Everything under heaven is in utter chaos; the situation is excellent.”
Mao Zedong

User avatar
Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator
 
Posts: 33708
Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Katganistan » Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:32 am

Albrenia wrote:
Nuroblav wrote:How? What makes someone automatically evil without having done anything in the first place?
It might be something to do with original sin, a concept I've always disagreed with.


I've always found the idea of Original Sin to be a particularly odious one. One cannot be guilty of a crime commited by someone else, before you were even born. That's about as unfair as it is possible for something to be.

Welcome to Christianity.

Depending on your particular flavor, we're saved whether we do good works ornot, so there is no prohibition against being a selfish asshole, only those known to God will be saved even if you lived a wonderful life and helped others, if you're not in the cool kids club you're fucked, and of course women, be subservient to your husband!

User avatar
Ayytaly
Diplomat
 
Posts: 991
Founded: Feb 08, 2019
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Ayytaly » Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:33 am

Rojava Free State wrote:
Ayytaly wrote:
All part of the grand scheme of nature itself.


My grand scheme involves not dying so...


Criminals on the run don't want to die, either
Signatures are the obnoxious car bumper stickers of the internet.

User avatar
Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator
 
Posts: 33708
Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Katganistan » Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:33 am

Rojava Free State wrote:
Jerzylvania wrote:Mean words add up to mean sentences and hateful screeds. Your are skilled, no doubt. Not my favorite billionaire. Where did you pull that from? That overactive imagination?


You literally are the only person here who flipped out when someone talked shit about Michael Bloomberg.

Michael Bloomberg is a morally bankrupt human being who should in no way be in the White House ever.

BUT -- not the topic of this thread.

User avatar
Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator
 
Posts: 33708
Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Katganistan » Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:36 am

Jerzylvania wrote:
Ifreann wrote:This really what you wanna do? Start calling me a Nazi because I don't like Bloomberg?

Don't be so sensitive. You know exactly what is happening here.

Go discuss it in a political thread then.

User avatar
Hurdergaryp
Post Czar
 
Posts: 35602
Founded: Jul 10, 2016
Democratic Socialists

Postby Hurdergaryp » Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:36 am

Katganistan wrote:
Albrenia wrote:I've always found the idea of Original Sin to be a particularly odious one. One cannot be guilty of a crime commited by someone else, before you were even born. That's about as unfair as it is possible for something to be.

Welcome to Christianity.

Depending on your particular flavor, we're saved whether we do good works ornot, so there is no prohibition against being a selfish asshole, only those known to God will be saved even if you lived a wonderful life and helped others, if you're not in the cool kids club you're fucked, and of course women, be subservient to your husband!

There's no power without control, and given the notable absence of direct leadership of the divine, theology took quite a few twists and turns in order to convince people of its authority.


“Everything under heaven is in utter chaos; the situation is excellent.”
Mao Zedong

User avatar
Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator
 
Posts: 33708
Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Katganistan » Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:40 am

Hurdergaryp wrote:
Katganistan wrote:Welcome to Christianity.

Depending on your particular flavor, we're saved whether we do good works ornot, so there is no prohibition against being a selfish asshole, only those known to God will be saved even if you lived a wonderful life and helped others, if you're not in the cool kids club you're fucked, and of course women, be subservient to your husband!

There's no power without control, and given the notable absence of direct leadership of the divine, theology took quite a few twists and turns in order to convince people of its authority.

More to the point, to the authority of the people who created the churches, and their interpretations of the text, and the holding over of people's head the threat of eternal damnation for not kowtowing to the absolutely NON-DIVINE will of the self-proclaimed leaders of said sects/churches/whatever.

TLDR: Power tripping assholes have always been quick to use the fear of exclusion/damnation to force people to obey their whims. God forbid you read the Bible (or other Holy Texts) for yourself -- you'll be told you 'don't understand' at a minimum.
Last edited by Katganistan on Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Ifreann
Post Overlord
 
Posts: 141466
Founded: Aug 07, 2005
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Ifreann » Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:40 am

Jerzylvania wrote:
Ifreann wrote:This really what you wanna do? Start calling me a Nazi because I don't like Bloomberg?

Don't be so sensitive. You know exactly what is happening here.

I have no idea what is happening here. You apparently think I really like Heinrich Himmler because I said that we can achieve a better understanding of his behaviour if we do more analysis than just calling him evil. You also think that I'm a hypocrite because I said that about Himmler but also think that Bloomberg is shit. I don't think I can even guess what your problem is.
Mistake Not My Current State Of Regular Thorough Handwashing For The Awesome And Terrible Majesty Of The Towering Seas Of Mask Wearing That Are Themselves The Mere Milquetoast Shallows Fringing My Vast Oceans Of Social Distancing
He/Him

You've got a lonesome road to walk, and it ain't along the railroad track, and it ain't along the black-top tar you walked a hundred times before.
I'll tell you where the real road lies: between your ears, behind your eyes. That is the path to paradise, likewise the road to ruin.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bombadil, Cekoviu, Conservative Republic Of Huang, Dytarma, Geneviev, Google [Bot], Kalaron, Kanadorika, Loben III, Lower Nubia, Major-Tom, Michigan Revolutionary Army, Monsone, Narland, Ngelmish, Nobel Hobos 2, Picairn, San Lumen, Shidei, Sylh Alanor, Tarsonis, TENNOHEIKA BANZAI NIHON, The Exarchate of the West, The Greater Ohio Valley, The United Republic of Westend, Yasuragi

Advertisement

Remove ads