NATION

PASSWORD

Assad Government kills 34 Turkish Troops.

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Novus America
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 02, 2014
Ex-Nation

Assad Government kills 34 Turkish Troops.

Postby Novus America » Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:25 pm

Of course everyone knows Syria has been wracked by warfare for years.
The Assad government which has gained the upper hand using Russian and Iranian troops has been attempting to eliminate Turkish backed rebels in the Northwest in a recent offensive. Turkey has sent forces to support said rebels.

Now we have reports that Syria government air strikes have killed 34 Turkish troops today.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/mobile.reu ... SKCN20L32S

The Turkish government says it has struck back, “neutralizing” some 1,700 Assad government troops.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailys ... a/news/amp
These strikes include Latakia, site of a major Russian base.

Russian and Turkish relationships have been on a rollercoaster lately, going from near war to acting like best friends.
So as a result while I think this is a very dangerous situation I imagine neither Erdogan or Assad/Putin want a full blown war, and will stop short of one, but this could get out of hand.

So what does everyone think? Is this going to blow over like previous (but less severe) Turkish actions around Syria that brought it into conflict with Assad and Russia?

Will Turkey, Russia or Assad dangerously escalate the situation?

Please note this is a developing story, and please add new sources and information as it becomes available.
Last edited by Novus America on Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Zombie Ike/Teddy Roosevelt 2020.

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.
Think something like prewar Fallout, minus the bad stuff.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

Nakena
Post Marshal

Founded: May 06, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Nakena » Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:26 pm

Oh fuck. This is bad news.

War might be happening, unless both sides descalate it quickly. This may grow big too, given the russian presence in Syria.
Last edited by Nakena on Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Lone Alliance
Powerbroker

Founded: May 25, 2005
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Lone Alliance » Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:27 pm

I guess Turkey is realizing that a side effect of Imperialism is your soldiers tend to die.

Assad's made a lot of advances over the past month or so in taking back the Idlib region.

They even have enough to finally open up the main highway 5 to Aleppo which was likely the main objective all along, supposedly the rebels are trying to take the road back but it's being hard fought over.

Not sure if he's still planning on taking the whole region or is just planning on stopping after driving them back into Idlib proper.

Though I bet Turkey is starting to regret their plan to ship Syrian rebels to fight in Libya.
Last edited by The Lone Alliance on Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger." -Herman Goering
--------------
War is cruelty, and you cannot refine it; -William Tecumseh Sherman

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Black Forrest » Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:30 pm

Hmmm. Maybe we should have had a deterrence like using the Armenians?
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

The East Marches II
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 11, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby The East Marches II » Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:32 pm

Nakena wrote:Oh fuck. This is bad news.

War might be happening, unless both sides descalate it quickly. This may grow big too, given the russian presence in Syria.

Indeed. America has already written a blank check :^)

The Europeans can be easily cowed by threatening to flood them with refugees. It is going to get spicy barring a last minute face saving climb down for all sides.

The Black Forrest wrote:Hmmm. Maybe we should have had a deterrence like using the Armenians?

They are a Russian sat state tbh.
Last edited by The East Marches II on Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The East Marches II
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The East Marches II » Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:34 pm

The pressure on Assad's troops is worrisome. If the Turks strike hard enough, it would put slot of hard won gains at risk. Assad has incorporated formerly hostile militias to guard rear areas. He only has a set amount of quality assault troops. A disaster might throw the whole business in the air again. Which is an outcome I think everyone wants to avoid.

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:36 pm

https://www.google.com/amp/s/ahvalnews. ... nist%3famp

Even before this there was some speculation that Turkey might close the Bosporus Strait to Russian ships and ban all Russia flights over its territory which could seriously threaten Russian logistics.
This would seem to be a card Turkey could play.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

Nakena
Post Marshal

Founded: May 06, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Nakena » Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:37 pm

Novus America wrote:https://www.google.com/amp/s/ahvalnews.com/turkey-russia/turkey-might-close-bosporus-straits-russia-based-montreux-agreement-columnist%3famp

Even before this there was some speculation that Turkey might close the Bosporus Strait to Russian ships and ban all Russia flights over its territory which could seriously threaten Russian logistics.

Russia would react extremly sensitive to the closure of the Bosperus straits. Also afaik they can't without very serious reasons according to some treaty.
Last edited by Nakena on Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Lone Alliance
Powerbroker

Postby The Lone Alliance » Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:39 pm

The East Marches II wrote:The pressure on Assad's troops is worrisome. If the Turks strike hard enough, it would put slot of hard won gains at risk. Assad has incorporated formerly hostile militias to guard rear areas. He only has a set amount of quality assault troops. A disaster might throw the whole business in the air again. Which is an outcome I think everyone wants to avoid.

The Turks can't strike hard enough though, there is limited elments they can do on airstrikes wise and missile strikes wise.

They can put out some good propaganda pieces but the only real way they'd be able to stop Assad would be to go all in, and they're not ready for that yet.

And they won't be supported there either.

Nakena wrote:
Russia would react extremly sensitive to the closure of the Bosperus straits. Also afaik they can't without very serious reasons according to some treaty.

And Turkey isn't going to open fire on Russian ships trying to run the strait and risk a world war with them as the aggressior.

Especially since most of NATO is already pissed off enough at Turkey as it is.
Last edited by The Lone Alliance on Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger." -Herman Goering
--------------

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Postby The Black Forrest » Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:41 pm

The East Marches II wrote:
Nakena wrote:Oh fuck. This is bad news.

The Europeans can be easily cowed by threatening to flood them with refugees. It is going to get spicy barring a last minute face saving climb down for all sides.

The Black Forrest wrote:Hmmm. Maybe we should have had a deterrence like using the Armenians?

The Syrians? Yup.

The Armenians? Trump may have moved them to the Russians since America “cut and ran like fuck” on them. They were friendly..........now?......probably not so much.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

The East Marches II
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The East Marches II » Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:44 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:

The Syrians? Yup.

The Armenians? Trump may have moved them to the Russians since America “cut and ran like fuck” on them. They were friendly..........now?......probably not so much.

Anon, they have always been a Russian sat state since the end of the Soviet Union. I have to disagree with you. They are locked in a frozen conflict and arms build up with Azerbaijan. They turned to the traditional backers of the Orthodox. Uncle Sam backed Azerbaijan and Turkey who used to oppose the Soviet Union on that front for us.

Edit: I think you are thinking of Georgia
Last edited by The East Marches II on Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The East Marches II
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The East Marches II » Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:48 pm

The Lone Alliance wrote:
The East Marches II wrote:The pressure on Assad's troops is worrisome. If the Turks strike hard enough, it would put slot of hard won gains at risk. Assad has incorporated formerly hostile militias to guard rear areas. He only has a set amount of quality assault troops. A disaster might throw the whole business in the air again. Which is an outcome I think everyone wants to avoid.

The Turks can't strike hard enough though, there is limited elments they can do on airstrikes wise and missile strikes wise.

They can put out some good propaganda pieces but the only real way they'd be able to stop Assad would be to go all in, and they're not ready for that yet.

And they won't be supported there either.

We already cut them the check for support.

Re doing hard strikes. There is this really cool thing you might not have heard of. It delivers the same HE load as 250 lb bomb, in all weather conditions. Turkey does have a fighter pilot shortage no doubt. They also lack their old core of NCOs and officers post purge. However, this does not preclude their ability to seriously damage Assad who is reliant on much worse quality troops with far worse kit.

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:49 pm

Nakena wrote:
Novus America wrote:https://www.google.com/amp/s/ahvalnews.com/turkey-russia/turkey-might-close-bosporus-straits-russia-based-montreux-agreement-columnist%3famp

They would have to claim imminent danger of war.
But this probably suffices.

Of course Russia would definitely be quite upset.
They might either force Assad to back down OR try to force the issue by sailing through anyways, daring Turkey to stop them.

Turkey’s big problem is it already burned ties with NATO (ironically by in part buying Russian SAMs) but also with pretty much every other country in the region.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

The East Marches II
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The East Marches II » Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:50 pm

Nakena wrote:

The Turkish government is neither behaving rationally nor thinking things through. They could go this route tbh.

The Lone Alliance
Powerbroker

Postby The Lone Alliance » Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:51 pm

Apparently rumor has it Turkey is threatening to flood Europe with Refugees because the west isn't jumping on board to condemn Assad for this.
--------------

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Postby The Black Forrest » Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:52 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:
The Syrians? Yup.

Anon, they have always been a Russian sat state since the end of the Soviet Union. I have to disagree with you. They are locked in a frozen conflict and arms build up with Azerbaijan. They turned to the traditional backers of the Orthodox. Uncle Sam backed Azerbaijan and Turkey who used to oppose the Soviet Union on that front for us.

Well? Maybe I could have explained it better. It would have been better to say we made in roads with them. Why else fight? Why have our guys with them?

What ever points were scored; Trump nixed that quick. The next time some shlub says “hey lets fight....” they will say fuck off and rightly so. You can’t trust the Americans it seems.

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Postby The Black Forrest » Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:54 pm

The Lone Alliance wrote:Apparently rumor has it Turkey is threatening to flood Europe with Refugees because the west isn't jumping on board to condemn Assad for this.

Hmm. Turkey still wants to join the EU. Unless they are done with that; doubtful.....

The East Marches II
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The East Marches II » Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:57 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:
The Lone Alliance wrote:Apparently rumor has it Turkey is threatening to flood Europe with Refugees because the west isn't jumping on board to condemn Assad for this.

Hmm. Turkey still wants to join the EU. Unless they are done with that; doubtful.....

That was finished years ago old boy. It was those reforms to join the EU which gave Turkey Erdogan. That path is closed now and all political parties in Turkey know it.

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Postby The Black Forrest » Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:57 pm

Redacted.

Misread the post......
Last edited by The Black Forrest on Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Washington Resistance Army
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 08, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby Washington Resistance Army » Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:58 pm

That's been the Sword of Damocles Turkey has held for a while now, it's nothing new.
Hellenic Polytheist, Socialist

The Lone Alliance
Powerbroker

Postby The Lone Alliance » Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:59 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:

I don't think there's anyone foolish enough who still believes Turkey has a chance to be in the EU anymore.
--------------

The East Marches II
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The East Marches II » Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:00 pm

And they will because they are gutless cowards too scared to been seen to say no but unwilling to say yes.

The Black Forrest wrote:

Well? Maybe I could have explained it better. It would have been better to say we made in roads with them. Why else fight? Why have our guys with them?

What ever points were scored; Trump nixed that quick. The next time some shlub says “hey lets fight....” they will say fuck off and rightly so. You can’t trust the Americans it seems.

We were fighting with the Armenians? Perhaps I missed something, when did we do this? Not to say I don't believe but this is the first I've heard about.

The East Marches II
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The East Marches II » Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:02 pm

Washington Resistance Army wrote:

That's been the Sword of Damocles Turkey has held for a while now, it's nothing new.

The threat of new inflows is also driving Turkish strategic desperation. Contrary to what our well meaning friends on NS insist, they are a burden. Their preferential treatment has lead the vast majority of the country to resent them. Another million and a half on top of the nearly four million they have is an unacceptable outcome (to the Turkish leadership).
Last edited by The East Marches II on Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Postby The Black Forrest » Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:03 pm

And they will because they are gutless cowards too scared to been seen to say no but unwilling to say yes.

The Black Forrest wrote:

We were fighting with the Armenians? Perhaps I missed something, when did we do this? Not to say I don't believe but this is the first I've heard about.

No I didn’t mean we were fighting them. We got them to do the ground fighting and had people there for air strikes etc. Also a buffer against Turkey and the Russians.

Anyway. They may have be Russian friendly and trump made sure they stayed that way.

Best negotiator evah!

The Lone Alliance
Powerbroker

Postby The Lone Alliance » Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:04 pm

Washington Resistance Army wrote:

The threat of new inflows is also driving Turkish strategic desperation. Contrary to what our well meaning friends on NS insist, they are a burden. Their preferential treatment has lead the vast majority of the country to resent them. Another million and a half on top of the nearly four million they have is an unacceptable outcome.

This is likely the real reason they're wanting to open the borders, they need to get rid of the existing refugees to make room for the next wave of rebels and supporters.
--------------

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General