NATION

PASSWORD

2020 US General Election Thread V: Pandemic Postpones Polls

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Are You Worried About Covid-19 Cancelling or Postponing Your Election?

Yes
24%
No
44%
Covid? Just A Chinese-Lizard People-Naked Mole Rat Conspiracy!
6%
I, For One, Welcome/Write-In Our New Corona Overlords.
27%

Total votes : 140

Bienenhalde
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 11, 2017
Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Bienenhalde » Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:51 pm

Vetalia wrote:
Bienenhalde wrote:I would vote for a third-party candidate before voting for either Trump or Bernie.

Honestly, as long as both neoconservatives and neoliberals are consigned to the dustbin of history I think we win as a species.

Not if they are replaced by something even worse. And aside from being too free market in terms of economic policy, what is really wrong with neoconservatives?

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 04, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:51 pm

Bienenhalde wrote:
United States of Devonta wrote:
If I told you Nazi Germany had some of the first anti-smoking programs, would that mean anti-smoking programs are bad?

Of course not. But considering the bad stuff that the Nazis did, you probably shouldn't be praising them just because they had anti-smoking programs.

That's the point. Cuba, Soviet Union and China all had literacy as a high priority, but so does just about every government ever. It's a universal value.

As a non-argument I prefer "Hitler was a vegetarian" as though that discredits vegetarians.
I report offenses if and only if they are crimes.
No footwear industry: citizens cannot afford new shoes.
High rate of Nobel prizes and other academic achievements.

Bienenhalde
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 11, 2017
Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Bienenhalde » Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:52 pm

Kruiven wrote:
Zhongshanville wrote:
CNN really trying desperately to appeal to people with proclivities for fiscal responsibility. LOL!

Which is funny since nobody asks how we're gonna pay for wars. And the fact that Trump's lovely tax cut for the wealthy has murdered the deficit. Republicans continuing the trend of expanding the deficit way more than Democrats, so sad.

So you are saying we should allow terrorists to attack us and not fight back because it will save us money?

United States of Devonta
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 20, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby United States of Devonta » Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:53 pm

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:
Bienenhalde wrote:
Of course not. But considering the bad stuff that the Nazis did, you probably shouldn't be praising them just because they had anti-smoking programs.

That's the point. Cuba, Soviet Union and China all had literacy as a high priority, but so does just about every government ever. It's a universal value.

As a non-argument I prefer "Hitler was a vegetarian" as though that discredits vegetarians.

Some countries benefit from poor uneducated populaces or believe they do.
US Air Force E-4
Twenty-Five, Male, Lightskin, Social Democrat, Proud Kansan

Proud member of the IFC, SA, IHAPC, IDS, PEDC, IBE, ISA nation!

United States of Devonta
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 20, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby United States of Devonta » Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:54 pm

Bienenhalde wrote:
Kruiven wrote:Which is funny since nobody asks how we're gonna pay for wars. And the fact that Trump's lovely tax cut for the wealthy has murdered the deficit. Republicans continuing the trend of expanding the deficit way more than Democrats, so sad.

So you are saying we should allow terrorists to attack us and not fight back because it will save us money?

The military needed that extra 100 billion to fight terrorist. Nice.
US Air Force E-4
Twenty-Five, Male, Lightskin, Social Democrat, Proud Kansan

Proud member of the IFC, SA, IHAPC, IDS, PEDC, IBE, ISA nation!

Evacillian
Envoy

Founded: Nov 18, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Evacillian » Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:01 pm

Alien Space Bats wrote:I'm going to wait to call it until after Super Tuesday, on the off chance that a debate and Bloomberg's billions might throw a monkey wrench in Bernie's plans for a nationwide sweep, but I pretty much agree with you.

I'll be voting for Sanders, on the theory that he'll almost certainly be as utterly unable to get anything through Congress as Trump has been, and that he lacks Trump's grandiose wish to become America's first homegrown king. Trump is an extinction-level threat to the Republic, and that IMNSHO needs to be dealt with above all else.

Still, I'm not happy with the changes that will result from a Sanders victory. It's going to be a long and lonely road going forward as a centrist, forced to choose between right-wing lunatics and left-wing lunatics in every election. I predict that I'm going to be utterly fucking sick of "woke" politicians, immigrant haters, isolationists, anti-trade zealots, and people who want to tear down this, that, or some other aspect of the system because they're too damned stiff-necked to bend an inch and too damned stupid to imagine the possibilities inherent in reform as opposed to revolution.

Kids these days... I swear, all you whippersnappers know how to do is to wreck things. Serve you right if you find yourselves living among the ruins.

I know this is kinda old (Thread wise) - but man, sometimes I really wish for a like button on here. 8)
Political Stats Reflects Evacillian- Does Not Reflect User
POLITICS of Evacillian: Social Liberalism
Politiscale Attributes: WorkOrderLiberty
[b]Proud member of The Anti Democracy League

Power Ranking by Destructive Government Economic System: 7/10 - Really powerful nation. They can put up with an invasion by North Korea, possibly overpower them, and maybe even annex their nation. "...technological and magical advantage... a force to be reckoned with..."
Democracy and Freedom Index by Plaetopia: 5.57/10 - Partly Free
Gender Equality Rating by South Shellfort: Equal
Desmos Calculator for NS by N?A: 4.5,-3.5
Neutral Good
http://www.fanfiction.net~scarpool
Fandoms are LIFE

Kowtowannia
Attaché

Founded: Feb 24, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Kowtowannia » Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:07 pm

Evacillian wrote:
Alien Space Bats wrote:I'm going to wait to call it until after Super Tuesday, on the off chance that a debate and Bloomberg's billions might throw a monkey wrench in Bernie's plans for a nationwide sweep, but I pretty much agree with you.

I'll be voting for Sanders, on the theory that he'll almost certainly be as utterly unable to get anything through Congress as Trump has been, and that he lacks Trump's grandiose wish to become America's first homegrown king. Trump is an extinction-level threat to the Republic, and that IMNSHO needs to be dealt with above all else.

Still, I'm not happy with the changes that will result from a Sanders victory. It's going to be a long and lonely road going forward as a centrist, forced to choose between right-wing lunatics and left-wing lunatics in every election. I predict that I'm going to be utterly fucking sick of "woke" politicians, immigrant haters, isolationists, anti-trade zealots, and people who want to tear down this, that, or some other aspect of the system because they're too damned stiff-necked to bend an inch and too damned stupid to imagine the possibilities inherent in reform as opposed to revolution.

Kids these days... I swear, all you whippersnappers know how to do is to wreck things. Serve you right if you find yourselves living among the ruins.

I know this is kinda old (Thread wise) - but man, sometimes I really wish for a like button on here. 8)

Is this close enough?
Behold, the path of Pure LogicTM

First account CTE'd in April 2014, have lurked on and off ever since; made this account for the hell of it, will probably leave soon...

Penguin Union Nation
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 14, 2007
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Penguin Union Nation » Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:08 pm

Bienenhalde wrote:So you are saying we should allow terrorists to attack us and not fight back because it will save us money?

Imagine actually believing we're currently fighting terrorists to prevent them from attacking us, and not just feeding the war machine and creating new terrorists every day. Wow.

Kowtowannia
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Kowtowannia » Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:09 pm

Bienenhalde wrote:
Vetalia wrote:
Honestly, as long as both neoconservatives and neoliberals are consigned to the dustbin of history I think we win as a species.

Not if they are replaced by something even worse. And aside from being too free market in terms of economic policy, what is really wrong with neoconservatives?

Ok... I was gonna say "boomer" but your sig claims you're 24.

edit: /s, for clarification
Last edited by Kowtowannia on Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

First account CTE'd in April 2014, have lurked on and off ever since; made this account for the hell of it, will probably leave soon...

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:16 pm

Kowtowannia wrote:
Bienenhalde wrote:

Ok zoomer.

Kowtowannia
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Kowtowannia » Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:19 pm

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:
Kowtowannia wrote:

Ok zoomer.

As any good centrist knows, the truth is always in the middle. Why don't we go with borderline Gen Xer/Millennial? :^)

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:27 pm

Kowtowannia wrote:
Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:
Ok zoomer.

As any good centrist knows, the truth is always in the middle. Why don't we go with borderline Gen Xer/Millennial? :^)

24 yo is generation Z though, close to Millenial but not in any way Gen X

I have to admit to being a boomer but I'm in the last year (right next to X). So I'll suffer what everyone hates Boomers for, running out of everything. Anyway you can see why I'm not inclined to give anyone else a break for being "nearly" some other generation.

Kowtowannia
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Kowtowannia » Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:28 pm

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:
Kowtowannia wrote:

24 yo is generation Z though, close to Millenial but not in any way Gen X

I have to admit to being a boomer but I'm in the last year (right next to X). So I'll suffer what everyone hates Boomers for, running out of everything. Anyway you can see why I'm not inclined to give anyone else a break for being "nearly" some other generation.

I'm not 24, though? Bien is.

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:39 pm

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:

Some countries do a pisspoor job educating kids, but it's generally because they can't afford it (eg spent all the money building the leader's palace), and I can't think of one that doesn't even try. Maybe Cambodia under the Khmer Rouge.

Kowtowannia
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Kowtowannia » Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:45 pm

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:

Some countries do a pisspoor job educating kids, but it's generally because they can't afford it (eg spent all the money building the leader's palace), and I can't think of one that doesn't even try. Maybe Cambodia under the Khmer Rouge.

>eg spent all the money building the leader's palace

El Presidente, are the solid gold toilets in every one of the 23 bathrooms of your palace really necessary?

Page
Post Marshal

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Page » Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:48 pm

If Sanders wins South Carolina, it is over.
Anarcho-Communist Against: Bolsheviks, Fascists, TERFs, Putin, Autocrats, Conservatives, Ancaps, Bourgeoisie, Bigots, Liberals, Maoists

I don't believe in kink-shaming unless your kink is submitting to the state.

Penguin Union Nation
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 14, 2007
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Penguin Union Nation » Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:55 pm

Page wrote:If Sanders wins South Carolina, it is over.

I'm not counting on it. But I think he'll still do well.

Page
Post Marshal

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Page » Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:57 pm

Penguin Union Nation wrote:

I'm not counting on it. But I think he'll still do well.

He doesn't need SC but it would be the final nail in the coffin for Biden.

Recent polls show Sanders projected to win all but 2 Super Tuesday states.
Anarcho-Communist Against: Bolsheviks, Fascists, TERFs, Putin, Autocrats, Conservatives, Ancaps, Bourgeoisie, Bigots, Liberals, Maoists

I don't believe in kink-shaming unless your kink is submitting to the state.

Kruiven
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 22, 2014
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Kruiven » Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:02 pm

Bienenhalde wrote:

The military needed that extra 100 billion to fight terrorist. Nice.

100 billion is underselling what they get. Also "fighting back" when we've had thousands killed and wasted so much money for essentially nothing. The Middle East is always going to be like a game of whack-a-mole.
stuff and things

Stylan
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 01, 2019
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Stylan » Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:07 pm

Interesting fact I learned today.
Most of Bernie's funding comes from the US Government.
https://www.opensecrets.org/2020-presid ... =N00000528
[align=center]Christian.

Kowtowannia
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Kowtowannia » Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:10 pm

Stylan wrote:Interesting fact I learned today.

University of California: $297,781
Alphabet Inc: $296,622
Amazon.com: $212,872
Microsoft Corp: $165,590
US Postal Service: $146,826
Apple Inc: $145,204
City of New York, NY: $131,306
Kaiser Permanente: $119,757
AT&T Inc: $103,864
Last edited by Kowtowannia on Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:11 pm

This table lists the top donors to this candidate in the 2020 cycle. The money came from the organizations' PACs; their individual members, employees or owners; and those individuals' immediate families. At the federal level, the organizations themselves did not donate, as they are prohibited by law from doing so. Organization totals include subsidiaries and affiliates.

Stylan
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 01, 2019
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Stylan » Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:22 pm

Kowtowannia wrote:

Fair enough. Still a large portion came from the US government.
[align=center]Christian.

Blargoblarg
Minister

Founded: Sep 06, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Blargoblarg » Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:57 pm

I think he has a very good chance to win SC, but even after that I'm gonna wait until after Sanders wins a bunch of Super Tuesday states before I assume he's gonna win the entire primary. Plus I'm worried that if he doesn't get over 50% of pledged delegates the Democratic establishment will try to stop him at the convention.
Claudia De la Cruz 2024 Article about her here
Democrats and Republicans are both right-wing capitalists owned by the rich and the big corporations. Major media in the US is also owned by the rich and big corporations.
Major study finds that America is an oligarchy, not a democracy
"Workers of the world, unite!" -Marx and Engels
You can read The State and Revolution by Lenin for free here
My 8values results My leftvalues results
I am autistic.

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:02 am

Stylan wrote:
Kowtowannia wrote:

Fair enough. Still a large portion came from the US government.

Employees of. You don't for a moment think Trump's government is making donations?

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General