NATION

PASSWORD

Re: 5 million dollars to change religion

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

What do you choose?

1. No, my religious status is not for sale
63%
2. No, it's unethical to gamble with my family's entire fortune
7%
3. I would like to do it but I say No because I don't think it's possible to do one or more of terms 1-5 (ex Belief is not choice)
13%
4. Yes, and it sounds easy
11%
5. Yes, even though 1-5 is going to take some serious work
5%

Total votes : 184

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 23, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:48 am

Chan Island wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:
I assumed it would just be judged objectively by an omniscient and omnipotent force (a sort of deified IM operating in the hypo-verse, the same one that teleports things in and out of existence, creates alternate timelines/worlds and alters/clarifies the laws of the scenarios)

In which case I'm changing my religion anyway, because that sounds a lot like God.

An omnipotent being that actually gives me 5 million also makes a much more convincing argument than one who says "yeah, I killed part of myself 2000 years ago, but got better. Now worship me".
Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.
- Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

VoVoDoCo
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 07, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby VoVoDoCo » Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:40 pm

Geneviev wrote:
VoVoDoCo wrote:I would argue that the reason that those people believe in their religion isn’t because they lying to themselves. It’s because they have very very bad reasons for believing. I mean, what? Did they tell themselves in the mirror every morning and say that they believe in god? Did they prayed every meal to God they did not believe existed?

It’s probably more likely that they just had very bad reasons for their beliefs. At the very least, they remain unconvinced of the idea that the probability of God existing is low enough to warrant not believing in him. They didn’t choose that, they Merely remain unconvinced. They can’t help that the arguments they’ve heard, or not heard if they have closed themselves off from criticism, did not persuade them.

Those people are much more common, but there are also those who lie to themselves until they believe something that they never actually believed.

Are they aware that they lied to themselves? If so, I really doubt how legit this is. Unless I enlisted myself to be a part of some propaganda program andwas instilled with double think logic, I don’t think I could knowingly lie to myself and make me believe it.

If they’re not aware that they lied to them self, then they didn’t lie to themselves. They just convinced themselves.
Are use voice to text, so accept some typos and Grammatical errors.
I'm a moderate free-market Libertarian boomer with a soft spot for Agorism. Also an Atheist.

I try not to do these or have those. Feel free to let me know if I come short.

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:51 pm

Ifreann wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:how come?

Well as you may be aware, it is a trivial matter for someone to make dozens of throwaway nations to vote in a poll and skew the results. Like that time someone made IM99 - IM150.

Oh yeah, that incident. IM's polls have a credibility rating of zero after that.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Hammer Britannia
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 08, 2016
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Hammer Britannia » Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:20 pm

I'm picking option one

You can't just pick and choose your faith. You can say you're this faith or that one, but you can't just pick and choose one willy nilly
Last edited by Hammer Britannia on Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All shall tremble before me

Lazarene Ryccia
Bureaucrat

Founded: Apr 29, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Lazarene Ryccia » Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:22 pm

I'll do it for more.

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:58 pm

The Alma Mater wrote:
Chan Island wrote:
In which case I'm changing my religion anyway, because that sounds a lot like God.

An omnipotent being that actually gives me 5 million also makes a much more convincing argument than one who says "yeah, I killed part of myself 2000 years ago, but got better. Now worship me".

Nobody's asking you to become a Christian, AM.
Traditionalist Catholic, Constitutional Monarchist, Habsburg Nostalgic, Distributist, Disillusioned Millennial.

"In any case we clearly see....That some opportune remedy must be found quickly for the misery and wretchedness pressing so unjustly on the majority of the working class...it has come to pass that working men have been surrendered, isolated and helpless, to the hardheartedness of employers and the greed of unchecked competition." -Pope Leo XIII, Rerum Novarum

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:59 pm

Rojava Free State wrote:

They can't even pull the weak excuse of "well that was the old testament but our new testament is peaceful." That's the only part of their bible

Uh, cool?

Czechostan
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 23, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Czechostan » Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:07 pm

No. I will never abandon Discordianism. Hail Eris!

Kandorith
Minister

Founded: Aug 26, 2009
Capitalizt

Postby Kandorith » Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:41 pm

No, absolutely not. There is no amount of materialism which could make me abandon my gods, heck even if it was punishable by death.
Great Empire of Kanyori | 大宮来国 | Arashi Kanyori Yokoku

Overview | Constitution | Anthem | Imperial Anthem | Armed Forces | Foreign Affairs | Emperor

Hikari Kyoyu Headlines:
BREAKING NEWS: LDP wins elections in landslide though Yoshiro Murakami will not return as prime minister they stated. | Latest technology showcased at the Empress Masumi Stadium as the January Tech Summit starts for the weekend | CDP claims LDP stole the election and will take legal steps against the election results

Geneviev
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 03, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Geneviev » Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:06 pm

VoVoDoCo wrote:
Geneviev wrote:Those people are much more common, but there are also those who lie to themselves until they believe something that they never actually believed.

Are they aware that they lied to themselves? If so, I really doubt how legit this is. Unless I enlisted myself to be a part of some propaganda program andwas instilled with double think logic, I don’t think I could knowingly lie to myself and make me believe it.

If they’re not aware that they lied to them self, then they didn’t lie to themselves. They just convinced themselves.

The convincing does require lying. But people can become unaware of it after some time.
"Above all, keep loving one another earnestly, since love covers a multitude of sins." 1 Peter 4:8

Albrenia
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Albrenia » Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:47 am

Infected Mushroom wrote:I am very very surprised that while the majority of NSG is willing to sell their right to vote, only a minority would be willing to sell their religious beliefs

does this mean that religion > voting rights?

Am I reading this correctly?

A lot of people don't believe one vote has any real power, whereas religion has a large number of powerful effects on one's life. For example, if I were to become Christian, I would have to go to Church and read the bible and other things like that.

Nakena
Post Marshal

Founded: May 06, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Nakena » Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:50 am

Czechostan wrote:No. I will never abandon Discordianism. Hail Eris!

All Hail Discordia!

Neanderthaland
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 10, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Neanderthaland » Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:52 am

Nakena wrote:
Czechostan wrote:No. I will never abandon Discordianism. Hail Eris!

All Hail Discordia!

Claim your account today!
Ug make fire. Mod ban Ug.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 15, 2014
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:01 am

is this one of the better hypotheticals?

I seek feedback so that future projects may be improved
Last edited by Infected Mushroom on Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:08 am

Infected Mushroom wrote:is this one of the better hypotheticals?

The premise itself contradicts itself. Odd hypothetical which shows more of a lack of understanding on how religious faith works then any sort of real discussion. No weird fantasy theme, Mary-Sue characters, or forced decisions so that's a positive. Shows promise but needs some work. All in all 5/10.

Samudera Darussalam
Senator

Founded: Aug 05, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Samudera Darussalam » Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:15 am

Tbh, no. A better understanding of how faith works - if you want to make a thread related to the subject - will be needed. Though....this is a little better compared to your Witch Queen the Series.

The Grims
Ambassador

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby The Grims » Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:22 am

Samudera Darussalam wrote:

Tbh, no. A better understanding of how faith works - if you want to make a thread related to the subject - will be needed. Though....this is a little better compared to your Witch Queen the Series.

Are you saying people do not acquire faith through routine ?

Samudera Darussalam
Senator

Founded: Aug 05, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Samudera Darussalam » Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:24 am

The Grims wrote:
Samudera Darussalam wrote:Tbh, no. A better understanding of how faith works - if you want to make a thread related to the subject - will be needed. Though....this is a little better compared to your Witch Queen the Series.

People usually don't trade faith for money.....at least that's what I think most religious person do.

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:31 am

The Grims wrote:
Samudera Darussalam wrote:Tbh, no. A better understanding of how faith works - if you want to make a thread related to the subject - will be needed. Though....this is a little better compared to your Witch Queen the Series.

I think the point where you converted solely because someone paid you kinda invalidates any sense of faith towards the new religion.

Zotrahn
Civilian

Founded: Feb 18, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Zotrahn » Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:39 am

That's not even possible. I could pretend, sure, but actual belief is impossible to buy.
No, we are not a nation of bees. No, we are not bee-themed.

The Grims
Ambassador

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby The Grims » Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:52 am

Samudera Darussalam wrote:
The Grims wrote:

People usually don't trade faith for money.....at least that's what I think most religious person do.

True, but if one does something for a decade one gets used to it . Giving it up becomes hard. Faith that was once played might become so important to them it becomes real.

Idzequitch
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 22, 2014
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Idzequitch » Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:07 am

Here's the thing. I don't believe in Allah, and $5 million dollars can't change that. I'm deeply rooted in my Christian faith, and while some of my beliefs about God have evolved over time, I find myself unable to force myself to believe in Allah. I would be unable to live such a long period of time in such a charade, and what's more, I'd be continually worried about leading astray the people I was proselytizing.

And on top of it all, I just wouldn't want to do it anyway. I like being a Christian. And I'd rather be authentic lower income Idz than rich fake Idz any day.
Twenty-something, male, heterosexual, Protestant Christian. Politically unaffiliated libertarian-ish centrist.
Meyers-Briggs INFP.
Enneagram Type 9.
Political Compass Left/Right 0.13
Libertarian/Authoritarian -5.38
9Axes Results

I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view, and life went on no matter who was wrong or right. - Billy Joel

-Astoria
Minister

Founded: Mar 14, 2019
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby -Astoria » Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:11 am

Nah, mostly because of #1.

Republic of Astoria | Tarain Asdair | Vasnin Astoir
Updates! | Constitution | Bill of Rights | Anthem | Lyrics | Embassy | FAQ | NS stats unused
Jul 21, 2020
✉ ABC News: Forests doing well, but climate change putting pressure on it | #musicparade: listeners choose their favourites | Refugee sews 1000 masks for his new hometown | NCP calls for aid package for companies | New evidence of large temples in Onsteyl | Weather: Footscray ☁ 14°C | Altas ☁ 16° | Esterpine ☁ 15° |  Naltgybal ☂⛆ 13° | Ceirtryn ☀ 17° | Bynscel ☁ 21° | Lyteel  ☁ 13°

A 7 civ | 9th in NSFB#1! | 10/10 by DGES | Much hope: yes.
Low-effort responses since 15/5/20: 67½ | Good responses since 20/7/20: 5

mit zuckerguß

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 15, 2014
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:13 am

The Grims wrote:
Samudera Darussalam wrote:People usually don't trade faith for money.....at least that's what I think most religious person do.

True, but if one does something for a decade one gets used to it . Giving it up becomes hard. Faith that was once played might become so important to them it becomes real.

This is correct

Religion can be altered through habits and self-indoctrination

you can see how most people stick to the religions that they were brought up in (though of course, there are exceptions as people move into other communities and become exposed to other ideas)

I believe some of the discomfort with this thread is the result of people not used to/able to accept the idea that it is possible to change religions for a benefit; it doesn't happen much in real life because people want to fit in (that's the main benefit the religion provides and its not insubstantial), typically, one adopts the religious codes and ethos of those around us and that provides a structure

just as someone can continue to stay in one religion when confronted with evidence, so can someone change religion at will if one is willing to put in sufficient effort; religions are not about rationality or evidence, its about choosing to believe

now I will admit though, that if one is surrounded by Christian family members and lives in a non-Islamic community... the process of trying to force oneself to become Islamic may feel too unnatural and obstacle-filled to be practically overcome; it would require an unusually strong mind and determination

whether or not there is a religious community of like-minded people who are welcoming of the process (and perhaps even more importantly, the family aspects) could be a hugely decisive factor. So I would accept the notion that for some, depending on circumstance, they can reliably predict that a conversion wouldn't be possible, even for 5 million.

however, in other cases, its a possibility
Last edited by Infected Mushroom on Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Idzequitch
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 22, 2014
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Idzequitch » Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:27 am

Infected Mushroom wrote:
The Grims wrote:

This is correct

Religion can be altered through habits and self-indoctrination

you can see how most people stick to the religions that they were brought up in (though of course, there are exceptions as people move into other communities and become exposed to other ideas)

I believe some of the discomfort with this thread is the result of people not used to/able to accept the idea that it is possible to change religions for a benefit; it doesn't happen much in real life because people want to fit in (that's the main benefit the religion provides and its not insubstantial), typically, one adopts the religious codes and ethos of those around us and that provides a structure

just as someone can continue to stay in one religion when confronted with evidence, so can someone change religion at will if one is willing to put in sufficient effort; religions are not about rationality or evidence, its about choosing to believe

now I will admit though, that if one is surrounded by Christian family members and lives in a non-Islamic community... the process of trying to force oneself to become Islamic may feel too unnatural and obstacle-filled to be practically overcome; it would require an unusually strong mind and determination

whether or not there is a religious community of like-minded people who are welcoming of the process (and perhaps even more importantly, the family aspects) could be a hugely decisive factor. So I would accept the notion that for some, depending on circumstance, they can reliably predict that a conversion wouldn't be possible, even for 5 million.

however, in other cases, its a possibility

There's also the fact that most religions provide/promise a benefit to the follower that the individual may fear to lose. It's a tradeoff in the end. You may gain money, and who knows? Maybe you actually converted to the "right" religion. But by abandoning the faith you have, you risk any consequences you may believe are associated with leaving the faith you currently follow (Purgatory, Hell, bad karma, etc.)
Twenty-something, male, heterosexual, Protestant Christian. Politically unaffiliated libertarian-ish centrist.
Meyers-Briggs INFP.
Enneagram Type 9.
Political Compass Left/Right 0.13
Libertarian/Authoritarian -5.38
9Axes Results

I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view, and life went on no matter who was wrong or right. - Billy Joel

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General