NATION

PASSWORD

ASEAN Discussion Thread

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

(To my ASEAN buddies) Where are y'all from/what country are you currently staying in?

Indonesia
35%
Thailand
4%
Singapore
11%
Malaysia
10%
Philippines
28%
Vietnam
6%
Laos
1%
Brunei
3%
Cambodia
2%
Burma/Myanmar
2%

Total votes : 112

Imperial Joseon
Minister

Founded: Dec 13, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Imperial Joseon » Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:40 pm

New Cassadland wrote:Indonesia is winning the contest

I like how Indonesia plays football now. Really good Head Coach.
Champions - Sporting World Cup 10 (U-18),

Las Islas de Metanoia
Envoy

Founded: Jan 10, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Las Islas de Metanoia » Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:25 pm

Filipino here reporting!

Samudera Darussalam
Senator

Founded: Aug 05, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Samudera Darussalam » Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:17 pm

Theodosiya wrote:Two East Javanese and a Central Javanese...

Boring. More people outside the overcrowded Java would be nice :p

Imperial Joseon wrote:
New Cassadland wrote:Indonesia is winning the contest

I like how Indonesia plays football now. Really good Head Coach.

Dutch East Indies used to compete in World Cup too, you see.

New Bremerton wrote:
Region of Dwipantara wrote:Pretty much everyone is trilingual in Indonesia, able to speak Indonesian, English, and their respective regional language. So it's not really a problem.

In Malaysia, Malays tend to speak Malay, which is basically the same as Indonesian. The Malay dialects spoken in Sarawak, Sabah and Kelantan are vastly different from the standard Malay spoken along the west coast of Malaya. I wonder if standard Malay as spoken in Malaysia sounds "posher" and more "correct" than the Javanese-accented Malay spoken in Indonesia, because Malay is actually spoken natively by the Malays, whereas most Indonesians speak their own separate regional languages and learn Malay as a second language? Does Indonesian sound more "pidgin", similar to how Indian English sounds to Britons and Americans? Our version of Malay is more strongly influenced by British English than Dutch, and we even used to have our own separate spelling systems until Malaysia and Indonesia agreed to adopt a new spelling system to be used jointly by the two countries as well as Singapore and Brunei. Even then, minor spelling differences (e.g. minit/menit, mahu/mau) and significant differences in vocabulary (e.g. polis/polisi, bas/bus) persist.

Tbh I'm not sure which version (or rather, dialect) of Malay is the correct one, though you can be right. Then again, when I first heard Bahasa Malaysia (through the cartoon Upin Ipin), I thought that it is the pidgin one rather than the opposite.
Bahasa Indonesia itself is based on the standarized form of the dialect spoken in Riau, which itself used to be a territory of Johor. I'm sure that the dialect spoken in eastern Sumatra (Riau, etc.) is still somehow similar to Bahasa Malaysia except the Dutch influence. Eventhough in its development the standarized Malay spoken in Indonesia absorbed many words from native languages such as Javanese, the Javanese accent would be nearly incomprehensible when it is used in other regions where Javanese is not the main language spoken. West Sumatra, for example, has a Minangkabau accent and using the standarized form would do great help rather than using an accented one. The problem is, even for many Indonesians themselves using a standarized form is not really easy given that many of us use regional languages in our daily life.

Nowadays the Betawi (Jakarta) accent is considered as the hip one thanks to influences from the entertainment and even in my campus, which is located in East Java, the accent is popular.

Imperial Joseon
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Imperial Joseon » Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:20 pm

[quote="Samudera Darussalam";p="36743284"

[/quote]

I mean, ever since Shin Tae-Yong took over as the Executive Coach for Team Indonesia.

Samudera Darussalam
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Samudera Darussalam » Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:33 am

Imperial Joseon wrote:[quote="Samudera Darussalam";p="36743284"

I mean, ever since Shin Tae-Yong took over as the Executive Coach for Team Indonesia.[/quote]
Oh, I see. The U-20 or the other teams?
I don't really pay any attention to football, pardon :p

Imperial Joseon
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Imperial Joseon » Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:35 am

Samudera Darussalam wrote:
Imperial Joseon wrote:[quote="Samudera Darussalam";p="36743284"

I mean, ever since Shin Tae-Yong took over as the Executive Coach for Team Indonesia.

I don't really pay any attention to football, pardon :p[/quote]

The national team, I believe. Korean coaches make good results in football, that's why.

Somehow Related to Rarity
Attaché

Founded: Dec 18, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Somehow Related to Rarity » Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:27 am

So like, I've been tracking the FIFA World Rankings for Singapore(patriotism UWU). From 165th to 157th in a year doesn't really seem like a big improvement, since ASEAN are planning to host FIFA WC 2034.
Vietnam in 94th? Whoa.
Also I'm still pretty passed that Irfan Fandi rejected Braga.
Twicetagram and JYPE's puppet and crackhead nation

Here to make everyone eat kids

ICly The Ponyvillian Separatists of Twicetagrien Canterlotine Territories(PSTCT)

Samudera Darussalam
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Samudera Darussalam » Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:47 am

Somehow Related to Rarity wrote:So like, I've been tracking the FIFA World Rankings for Singapore(patriotism UWU). From 165th to 157th in a year doesn't really seem like a big improvement, since ASEAN are planning to host FIFA WC 2034.
Vietnam in 94th? Whoa.

Just seen the rankings since you mentioned it, and well....Vietnam gets the highest rank? They kind of deserve it I guess.
It sucks to see that Indonesia is below many ASEAN countries, especially below Malaysia, Singapore, and the Philippines (no offence) but yeah, what kind be proud of our team as a whole btw? :p

Oh. Really? How will ASEAN host FIFA WC?

Imperial Joseon wrote:
I don't really pay any attention to football, pardon :p

The national team, I believe. Korean coaches make good results in football, that's why.

I mean....South Korea has a decent team for an Asian nation, but let's see. I hope there are improvements.
Last edited by Samudera Darussalam on Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Somehow Related to Rarity » Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:53 am

Somehow Related to Rarity wrote:So like, I've been tracking the FIFA World Rankings for Singapore(patriotism UWU). From 165th to 157th in a year doesn't really seem like a big improvement, since ASEAN are planning to host FIFA WC 2034.
Vietnam in 94th? Whoa.

Just seen the rankings since you mentioned it, and well....Vietnam gets the highest rank? They kind of deserve it I guess.
It sucks to see that Indonesia is below many ASEAN countries, especially below Malaysia, Singapore, and the Philippines (no offence) but yeah, what kind be proud of our team as a whole btw? :p

Yeah. SEA countries don't really tend to be popular(unless u count Singapore, but SG is meh). I guess hosting the WC 2034 would boost popularity there.
2034 FIFA WC
Cuz like all 10 countries are joint-hosting-bidding, I guess 1 stadium from each country would be fine. Some countries may need to build bigger stadiums to accommodate more fans.
Also this can boost tourism in areas like Laos and Cambodia.
Welp I just made it sound like an essay smh

ICly The Ponyvillian Separatists of Twicetagrien Canterlotine Territories(PSTCT)

Samudera Darussalam
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Samudera Darussalam » Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:03 am

Somehow Related to Rarity wrote:
Samudera Darussalam wrote:Just seen the rankings since you mentioned it, and well....Vietnam gets the highest rank? They kind of deserve it I guess.

Yeah. SEA countries don't really tend to be popular(unless u count Singapore, but SG is meh). I guess hosting the WC 2034 would boost popularity there.
2034 FIFA WC
Cuz like all 10 countries are joint-hosting-bidding, I guess 1 stadium from each country would be fine. Some countries may need to build bigger stadiums to accommodate more fans.

Oh well, I see. From the wikipedia article it seems that Malaysia withdrew(?) but Thailand and Indonesia agreed to co-host.
I mean....Laos is pretty reserved isn't it? I'm actually surprised that they agree on this.

Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Somehow Related to Rarity » Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:05 am

Somehow Related to Rarity wrote:Yeah. SEA countries don't really tend to be popular(unless u count Singapore, but SG is meh). I guess hosting the WC 2034 would boost popularity there.
2034 FIFA WC

Oh well, I see. From the wikipedia article it seems that Malaysia withdrew(?) but Thailand and Indonesia agreed to co-host.
I mean....Laos is pretty reserved isn't it? I'm actually surprised that they agree on this.

I mean, it's the least they could do to improve their economy.
Also Myanmar. Myanmar is a nice place overall, but it's like, their condos looks so modern and you have slums also. It's easy to see the difference between rich people and poor people in Myanmar. I'm ethnically Burmese, so yeah.

New Cassadland
Attaché

Founded: Dec 19, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby New Cassadland » Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:06 am

AAAN:Welp I just made it sound like an essay smh
i hate essay's
Last edited by New Cassadland on Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hello There...
our leader name was Dr.Polar.He was a polar bear with a moustache wearing trench coat with tuxedo
I challenge you
To say "Pepper pick the pepper to make a pepper soup for pepper's family" it's an cassadian tongue twister

(Note:Please telegram me if you want to say something)

LASAGNA'S...

Samudera Darussalam
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Samudera Darussalam » Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:13 am

Samudera Darussalam wrote:Oh well, I see. From the wikipedia article it seems that Malaysia withdrew(?) but Thailand and Indonesia agreed to co-host.

I mean, it's the least they could do to improve their economy.
Also Myanmar. Myanmar is a nice place overall, but it's like, their condos looks so modern and you have slums also. It's easy to see the difference between rich people and poor people in Myanmar. I'm ethnically Burmese, so yeah.

They need to do more rather than just co-hosting FIFA WC then. I've heard of some tourism hotspots in Laos, but I'm not sure if the local accommodations are actually capable to take large numbers of visitors given that tbh, Laos seems to not have a well-developed tourism industry.

I agree. Present issues aside, I've heard that Myanmar is a pleasant country. I love the scenery of Bagan especially.
Pretty sure that maybe except Singapore (again, not sure about Brunei) economic inequality in SEA countries tend to be noticeable. Major cities such as Jakarta, Manila, and maybe Yangon tend to have slums.
Last edited by Samudera Darussalam on Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Somehow Related to Rarity » Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:17 am

Samudera Darussalam wrote:They need to do more rather than just co-hosting FIFA WC then. I've heard of some tourism hotspots in Laos, but I'm not sure if the local accommodations are actually capable to take large numbers of visitors given that tbh, Laos seems to not have a well-developed tourism industry.

I agree. Present issues aside, I've heard that Myanmar is a pleasant country. I love the scenery of Bagan especially.
Pretty sure that maybe except Singapore (again, not sure about Brunei) economic inequality in SEA countries tend to be noticeable. Major cities such as Jakarta, Manila, and maybe Yangon tend to have slums.

I did a project on promoting Laos as a tourist spot, and it did fare quite well(maybe because my presenting skills are good :p) but like you said Laos may not be able to handle that much tourists.
Also I heard that Myanmar was shut to the world for a few years(kinda rusty there, my parents told me that). If they didn't I guess they would've been somewhere at the levels of Thailand.
Also I wonder how I have both a Burmese and Singaporean accent while speaking English LMAO.

Samudera Darussalam
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Samudera Darussalam » Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:26 am

Samudera Darussalam wrote:They need to do more rather than just co-hosting FIFA WC then. I've heard of some tourism hotspots in Laos, but I'm not sure if the local accommodations are actually capable to take large numbers of visitors given that tbh, Laos seems to not have a well-developed tourism industry.

I did a project on promoting Laos as a tourist spot, and it did fare quite well(maybe because my presenting skills are good :p) but like you said Laos may not be able to handle that much tourists.
Also I heard that Myanmar was shut to the world for a few years(kinda rusty there, my parents told me that). If they didn't I guess they would've been somewhere at the levels of Thailand.
Also I wonder how I have both a Burmese and Singaporean accent while speaking English LMAO.

Nice :p

Well, that's plausible I guess. Do you speak Burmese or maybe Karen language at home?
Also by Singaporean accent do you mean by any chance Singlish? :p

Imperial Joseon
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Imperial Joseon » Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:27 am

Vietnam in 94th? Whoa.

Vietnam went up to 94th, because of its head coach, Park Hang Seo. We call this the, "Park Hang Seo Magic".

Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Somehow Related to Rarity » Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:00 am

Samudera Darussalam wrote:Nice :p

Well, that's plausible I guess. Do you speak Burmese or maybe Karen language at home?

I speak Karen cuz like my parents were Karen but raised in Yangon/Pathein.
Obvs I mean Singlish. Why wouldn't I? :p
My church is discouraging Singlish but we millennials/zoomed don't care.

Imperial Joseon
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Imperial Joseon » Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:02 am

I know one of my friends is Filipino and he speaks Tagalog.

Samudera Darussalam
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Samudera Darussalam » Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:08 am

That decided it. I speak Bahasa Indonesia, Javanese, and some Minangkabau at home and that shows when I speak English :p

Eh, I would do the same if I were you. I mean, speaking a 'proper' language is cool and all, but sometimes local variations tend to convey our expressions better lah :p

Sovietstanica
Bureaucrat

Founded: Dec 14, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Sovietstanica » Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:16 am

Indonesian here, am from the island of Kalimantan. It's nice to see my fellow countrymen are enjoying this game as much as I do. Warm greetings to you all. Salam kenal, bung dan zus sekalian.
This account is managed by the Ministry of the Exterior as the Soviet Embassy to the Fora.
16ᵗʰ Franklin St. № 46, Stolitzgrad, 211 R.E. | 5 ¾ Civilization (Tier IX-Level II-Type VIII)
Website: https://sovietstanica.pr | Telegram: 3415855 (Hotline) / 3590315 (Postal)

Samudera Darussalam
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Samudera Darussalam » Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:18 am

Sovietstanica wrote:Indonesian here, am from the island of Kalimantan. It's nice to see my fellow countrymen are enjoying this game as much as I do. Warm greetings to you all. Salam kenal, bung dan zus sekalian.

Hello, salam kenal. I'm from East Java, but maybe you've already known that.
It's refreshing to see somebody out of the island of Java for once :p

MineLegotia and Equestria
Envoy

Founded: Jul 22, 2017
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby MineLegotia and Equestria » Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:22 am

https://www.scmp.com/week-asia/health-e ... it-keeping

SPRAY AND PRAY LADS!! A PRAYER A DAY KEEPS THE CORONA AWAY!

And this is actually something Indonesia's health minister is doing! It's still unbelievable the virus has not entered - or more likely n.t detected - in Indonesia/
Recent News: Imperial Regent strengthens Anti-Corruption Offices after Scandal | Minister of FA found after Ministry Blackout; Cults Blamed | 'Caplanbourgh surrender not in sight' says Minister of Defense | Parliament to pass 3843/383/23/04/2389

A nation of various species, who are mostly bureaucrats, traversing the multiverse in the name of harmony and colonialism. Not the worst nor best type of civilisation you'd want to meet.

Imperial Joseon
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Imperial Joseon » Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:26 am

MineLegotia and Equestria wrote:https://www.scmp.com/week-asia/health-environment/article/3051068/we-owe-it-god-indonesia-prays-how-it-keeping

And this is actually something Indonesia's health minister is doing! It's still unbelievable the virus has not entered - or more likely n.t detected - in Indonesia/

Pray for Laos and all of Southeast Asia! No Wuhan pneumonia allowed!

Samudera Darussalam
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Samudera Darussalam » Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:29 am

MineLegotia and Equestria wrote:https://www.scmp.com/week-asia/health-environment/article/3051068/we-owe-it-god-indonesia-prays-how-it-keeping

As a religious person, praying to God is alright.

On the minister himself, I remember when he told us to 'eat and stay relaxed' when neighbouring countries reported infection. I would be more happy if the government enact stricter regulations to prevent the disease out though.
Nevertheless whether what the government said is true or not, staying prepared never hurts.

Imperial Joseon
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Imperial Joseon » Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:32 am

As a religious person, praying to God is alright.

On the minister himself, I remember when he told us to 'eat and stay relaxed' when neighbouring countries reported infection. I would be more happy if the government enact stricter regulations to prevent the disease out though.
Nevertheless whether what the government said is true or not, staying prepared never hurts.

Does Laos allow Chinese people into their country?

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General