NATION

PASSWORD

Has atheism made the world a better place?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Founded: Feb 10, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:33 pm

In my opinion, we are born clean slates regarding religion and philosophy. We acquire beliefs and ways of thinking through experience. That societies or civilizations have created belief systems is, to me, a way in which to explain the world and nature around them, not necessarily because deities are a must for existence.

As for whether atheism has made the world better or not, I’d rather say it’s secularism that has both improved and perhaps harmed at intervals. I think the best thing indeed to have happened to my society is the separation of church and state. One has no business in the other.
Slava Ukraini
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

Region of Dwipantara
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 12, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Region of Dwipantara » Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:34 pm

Pilipinas and Malaya wrote:As observed in the annals of history, major civilizations were bound to a religion of some form. That kept them strung together.

Religion, or more importantly a "set of ideals". Irreligiousity however have the perks of not divinely bound to those "set of ideals", so they have the advantage of being able to review and adjust when new findings and understandings are coming in.
☪︎ Province No. 14 of the Islamic Khilafah – 14 الخلافة الإسلامية منطقة‎ ☪︎
Home | Government | Policy | Contact

This sig is hacked by the FABULOUS #y0uNG_fOX3S. ¡RESTORE THE REPUBLIC, DESTROY THE KHILAFAH! Join the Alliance and the Fox today and we will Make Dwipantara Merdeka Again! ^OWO^
1418-DZQ-02/1998-MAR-03
 RADIO FREE SOUTHEAST ASIA | Charta Politica February polling: Pro-Khilafah  35.6% (PKI 28.7%, SI 6.9%); Pro-Republiken 64.4% (PAN 7.4%, PKB 13.2%, PRD 5.8%, PDDP 37.9%)

Today's featured | Do not listen to the flat-earthers imperialists, read the TRUE factbooks of our province here, exclusive on the Cakrawala Fox-Site

North Korea 2006
Political Columnist

Founded: Feb 11, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby North Korea 2006 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:36 pm

Talking about radical atheism here, not normal atheist or spiritual atheist,

The idea that everything came from nothing for no reason whatsoever and theres not poin in anything in life for no reason whatsoever and when you die nothing happens for no reason whatsoever, i think is a dangerous worldview for a society to adopt to it fullest, and not good for anybodys mental health, even in strongly none religious countires like norway where im from, where 30 to 40 percent of the population is atheist, even they think theyre some reason we are here,and belive in some sort of ``afterlife`` or whatever we call it. Iv meet some few Richard dawkins like fundamentalist atheists, but theyre a minority and most people in my country find them annoying.
Last edited by North Korea 2006 on Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Region of Dwipantara
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Region of Dwipantara » Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:39 pm

North Korea 2006 wrote:Talking about radical atheism here, not normal atheist or spiritual atheist,

The idea that everything came from nothing for no reason whatsoever and theres not poin in anything in life for no reason whatsoever and when you die nothing happens for no reason whatsoever, i think is a dangerous worldview for a society to adopt to it fullest, and not good for anybodys mental health, even in strongly none religious countires like norway where im from, where 30 to 40 percent of the population is atheist, even they theyre some reason we are here and belive in some sort of ``afterlife`` or whatever we call it.

The idea that a set of backwards and harmful ideas are divinely unchangeable, and we have to obey it under a gunpoint called "eternal torture", isn't exactly healthy either.

This sig is hacked by the FABULOUS #y0uNG_fOX3S. ¡RESTORE THE REPUBLIC, DESTROY THE KHILAFAH! Join the Alliance and the Fox today and we will Make Dwipantara Merdeka Again! ^OWO^
1418-DZQ-02/1998-MAR-03
 RADIO FREE SOUTHEAST ASIA | Charta Politica February polling: Pro-Khilafah  35.6% (PKI 28.7%, SI 6.9%); Pro-Republiken 64.4% (PAN 7.4%, PKB 13.2%, PRD 5.8%, PDDP 37.9%)

Today's featured | Do not listen to the flat-earthers imperialists, read the TRUE factbooks of our province here, exclusive on the Cakrawala Fox-Site

North Korea 2006
Political Columnist

Founded: Feb 11, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby North Korea 2006 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:41 pm

I havents said that religion is better, and im not a religous person either, i dont like religion, dont strawman me

Region of Dwipantara
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Region of Dwipantara » Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:42 pm

North Korea 2006 wrote:I havents said that religion is better, and im not a religous person either, i dont like religion, dont strawman me

Well, sorry :p. My statement don't apply to all religion, but while you have reservations about atheism, it does seems like that you agree that "less religion" make things better.

1418-DZQ-02/1998-MAR-03

Albrenia
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Albrenia » Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:47 pm

Telconi wrote:
Neanderthaland wrote:Umm... yes it is.

Ignoring the low hanging fruit about how "utterly without knowledge" is the same as atheism, I'll have to disagree. You can't hold any belief unless taught, so a newborn baby is no more an atheist than they are a Christian or a Jew, or any other belief.

Being utterly without knowledge or thought about religion is one way of being an Atheist. It's just not believing in Gods - how or why one obtains that state does not matter.

It does not require active rejection of Gods, only a lack of belief.

Neanderthaland
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 10, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Neanderthaland » Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:47 pm

Telconi wrote:
Neanderthaland wrote:Umm... yes it is.

Ignoring the low hanging fruit about how "utterly without knowledge" is the same as atheism, I'll have to disagree. You can't hold any belief unless taught, so a newborn baby is no more an atheist than they are a Christian or a Jew, or any other belief.

Atheism is not a religion. Atheism is not a belief. Atheism is just lacking one particular belief. Since newborns tend not to have any beliefs, they are, of course, atheists. I don't know why you're making a big deal about this. It surely doesn't matter.
Ug make fire. Mod ban Ug.

Vetalia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 23, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Vetalia » Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:52 pm

Neanderthaland wrote:
Telconi wrote:

Atheism is not a religion. Atheism is not a belief. Atheism is just lacking one particular belief. Since newborns tend not to have any beliefs, they are, of course, atheists. I don't know why you're making a big deal about this. It surely doesn't matter.

There's a big difference between strong and weak atheism though; one is as you mentioned simply not believing in gods and the other is stating gods do not exist. In the case of newborns, they don't believe in anything...by that logic gravity is just as debatable as the existence of God because they don't believe in it.
Last edited by Vetalia on Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Economic Left/Right: 0.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.05

Albrenia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Albrenia » Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:53 pm

Neanderthaland wrote:
Telconi wrote:

I'm not sure what word they'd use to describe the state of being without knowledge if one rules out Atheism. If Atheism is a 'belief' than so is Agnosticism, so we can't even fall back on that old walnut.

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:56 pm

Albrenia wrote:
Neanderthaland wrote:Atheism is not a religion. Atheism is not a belief. Atheism is just lacking one particular belief. Since newborns tend not to have any beliefs, they are, of course, atheists. I don't know why you're making a big deal about this. It surely doesn't matter.

I'm not sure what word they'd use to describe the state of being without knowledge if one rules out Atheism. If Atheism is a 'belief' than so is Agnosticism, so we can't even fall back on that old walnut.

As atheism is a lack of belief in something, I guess Neanderthaland is pretty much spot on. Are there atheists that treat their lack of belief in something as a belief system though?
Slava Ukraini
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs

Ngarchelong
Civilian

Founded: Feb 15, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Ngarchelong » Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:56 pm

Last edited by Ngarchelong on Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vetalia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Vetalia » Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:57 pm

Albrenia wrote:
Neanderthaland wrote:Atheism is not a religion. Atheism is not a belief. Atheism is just lacking one particular belief. Since newborns tend not to have any beliefs, they are, of course, atheists. I don't know why you're making a big deal about this. It surely doesn't matter.

It's honestly agnosticism in that case...you can't believe or disbelieve in something you don't know exists.

Albrenia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Albrenia » Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:57 pm

Vetalia wrote:

There's a big difference between strong and weak atheism though; one is as you mentioned simply not believing in gods and the other is stating gods do not exist. In the case of newborns, they don't believe in anything...by that logic gravity is just as debatable as the existence of God because they don't believe in it.

What babies believe has no standing on what may or may not be true, no. It doesn't change the fact that it is still the default state of a baby to not have a religion.

Neanderthaland
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 10, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Neanderthaland » Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:57 pm

Vetalia wrote:

I'm not saying that god doesn't exist because newborns don't believe in one...

If a god did exist, newborns probably wouldn't believe in them either. Although, I suppose, a god could make it so they do.
Ug make fire. Mod ban Ug.

Vetalia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Vetalia » Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:57 pm

Albrenia wrote:
Vetalia wrote:

What babies believe has no standing on what may or may not be true, no. It doesn't change the fact that it is still the default state of a baby to not have a religion.

Which is correct. The default state of a baby is to know nothing about anything, which would be agnosticism, not atheism, let alone strong materialist atheism.

Vetalia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Vetalia » Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:58 pm

Neanderthaland wrote:
Vetalia wrote:

I'm not saying that god doesn't exist because newborns don't believe in one...

If a god did exist, newborns probably wouldn't believe in them either. Although, I suppose, a god could make it so they do.

In my view the latter part is correct. As humans develop, they develop questions about meaning and purpose in life and this points them toward the God that created them and the world around them.

Telconi
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Telconi » Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:59 pm

Albrenia wrote:

Nothing, they simply do not have information. Just like we don't try to quantify a baby as an anti-vaxxer because they don't hold the belief that children ought to be vaccinated, or we don't quantify them as homophobes because they don't hold the belief that homosexuals ought to have equal rights.

Simply put, a baby is simply nothing, it isn't an atheist any more than it's any other name we put to some sort of conclusive state of thought.
-2.25 LEFT
-3.23 LIBERTARIAN

PRO:
-Weapons Rights
-Gender Equality
-LGBTQ Rights
-Racial Equality
-Religious Freedom
-Freedom of Speech
-Freedom of Association
-Life
-Limited Government
-Non Interventionism
-Labor Unions
-Environmental Protections
ANTI:
-Racism
-Sexism
-Bigotry In All Forms
-Government Overreach
-Government Surveillance
-Freedom For Security Social Transactions
-Unnecessary Taxes
-Excessively Specific Government Programs
-Foreign Entanglements
-Religious Extremism
-Fascists Masquerading as "Social Justice Warriors"

"The Constitution is NOT an instrument for the government to restrain the people,it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government-- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." ~ Patrick Henry

Region of Dwipantara
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Region of Dwipantara » Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:00 pm

I do find (especially religious) people to be more respectful to you when you say "I'm an agnostic" as opposed to "I'm an atheist", though. Even is the term isn't correct, agnosticism carries the connotation of "I am searching for the truth", while atheism is "I am illuminated and you are stupid God's not real lolz". Idk if that's the case out there.

1418-DZQ-02/1998-MAR-03

Albrenia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Albrenia » Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:00 pm

Vetalia wrote:
Albrenia wrote:

Which is correct. The default state of a baby is to know nothing about anything, which would be agnosticism, not atheism, let alone strong materialist atheism.

Technically it's both. Not knowing about any gods obviously means you don't believe in any gods.

As for it being strong material atheism, no, babies are not that. They're not the kind of Atheist who reject God.

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:01 pm

Region of Dwipantara wrote:I do find (especially religious) people to be more respectful to you when you say "I'm an agnostic" as opposed to "I'm an atheist", though. Even is the term isn't correct, agnosticism carries the connotation of "I am searching for the truth", while atheism is "I am illuminated and you are stupid God's not real lolz". Idk if that's the case out there.

I think it depends on the atheist in question.
Slava Ukraini

Region of Dwipantara
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Region of Dwipantara » Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:01 pm

Telconi wrote:
Albrenia wrote:

Nothing, they simply do not have information. Just like we don't try to quantify a baby as an anti-vaxxer because they don't hold the belief that children ought to be vaccinated, or we don't quantify them as homophobes because they don't hold the belief that homosexuals ought to have equal rights.

Simply put, a baby is simply nothing, it isn't an atheist any more than it's any other name we put to some sort of conclusive state of thought.

And simply put, babies aren't born with any religion or belief set. Think that'll settle.

1418-DZQ-02/1998-MAR-03

Region of Dwipantara
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Region of Dwipantara » Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:05 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Region of Dwipantara wrote:I do find (especially religious) people to be more respectful to you when you say "I'm an agnostic" as opposed to "I'm an atheist", though. Even is the term isn't correct, agnosticism carries the connotation of "I am searching for the truth", while atheism is "I am illuminated and you are stupid God's not real lolz". Idk if that's the case out there.

I think it depends on the atheist in question.

Actually many people (mistakenly) thought that agnosticism means "I belief God exists, but not the God of all religion that I've researched about." Wrong, but whatever that disarms people from violent tendencies, real tolerance > inside-our-head philosophical squabbles.

1418-DZQ-02/1998-MAR-03

Europa Undivided
Minister

Founded: Jun 18, 2019

Postby Europa Undivided » Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:06 pm

Region of Dwipantara wrote:
Telconi wrote:

And simply put, babies aren't born with any religion or belief set. Think that'll settle.

Is there an experiment where someone was never taught anything?
Protestant ~ RPer ~ House of RepresentaThieves ~ Worldbuilder ~ Filipino ~ Centrist ~ Pro-Life ~ Agent of Chaos ~ Discord: derangedtroglodyte ~ No Ani Anquietas, hic qua videum
“Those who cannot conceive Friendship as a substantive love but only as a disguise or elaboration of Eros betray the fact that they have never had a Friend." - C.S. Lewis
“War is cringe." - Moon Tzu, the Art of Peace

Albrenia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Albrenia » Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:08 pm

Telconi wrote:
Albrenia wrote:

Again, Atheism doesn't require active or conscious rejection of any belief system. A baby is not a stamp collector until it grows up enough to desire to be one. One is not barred from describing a baby as 'not a stamp collector' until it can actively reject said action.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General