NATION

PASSWORD

Has atheism made the world a better place?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Emerald Legion
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 18, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby The Emerald Legion » Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:04 pm

Kernen wrote:
Salus Maior wrote:
Don't let yourself get triggered by them. There's no reasoning with a statement like that, it's just meant to push your buttons and scandalize Christians.

No, not really. Its an apt comparison, even if you find it upsetting. Religion does not belong metaphorically stuffed down the throats of children any more than a penis literally belongs in the same place. That you find it repulsive does not alter the underlying point.

They're already made up of your genetics. Why should you not pass on the memetics that enable you to make use of those genetically granted abilities best?

It's one thing to enforce a faith on someone who clearly doesn't want it. Another entirely to simply teach a child who doesn't know anything about the subject.

I always find the argument that children shouldn't be taught religious doctrine when children rather humorous. Do you also expect parents not to give their children any form of moral compass? Clearly you don't want them passing their own on, but who else's would they use? Yours?
"23.The unwise man is awake all night, and ponders everything over; when morning comes he is weary in mind, and all is a burden as ever." - Havamal

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Founded: Feb 10, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:11 pm

The Emerald Legion wrote:
Kernen wrote:
No, not really. Its an apt comparison, even if you find it upsetting. Religion does not belong metaphorically stuffed down the throats of children any more than a penis literally belongs in the same place. That you find it repulsive does not alter the underlying point.

They're already made up of your genetics. Why should you not pass on the memetics that enable you to make use of those genetically granted abilities best?

It's one thing to enforce a faith on someone who clearly doesn't want it. Another entirely to simply teach a child who doesn't know anything about the subject.

I always find the argument that children shouldn't be taught religious doctrine when children rather humorous. Do you also expect parents not to give their children any form of moral compass? Clearly you don't want them passing their own on, but who else's would they use? Yours?

Whether you decide to teach your kid about the religion you profess or not is a very personal choice. You can tell them but don’t force them. Belief should definitely be an organic thing, not feel like an imposition. The best a religious parent can hope for is that their child will follow their religion happily. But being overly pushy about it can result in a child abandoning it all once they reach adulthood. It’s resented.

That’s what I think, at least. If you want to teach them about your beliefs, go ahead, just don’t be forceful. You want your child to genuinely believe in that, not do it because if they don’t, mommy and daddy are going to get mad.
Slava Ukraini
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

Imperial Joseon
Minister

Founded: Dec 13, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Imperial Joseon » Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:20 pm

The Emerald Legion wrote:It's one thing to enforce a faith on someone who clearly doesn't want it. Another entirely to simply teach a child who doesn't know anything about the subject.

Yes, it's called positive freedom, according to Isaiah Berlin.
Champions - Sporting World Cup 10 (U-18),

Country of CityTowne
Attaché

Founded: Mar 31, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Country of CityTowne » Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:27 pm

Atheism has-- in several ways-- both caused and solved problems. It allowed people to focus more on what was there as apposed to what could be there. It offered both a voice of reason and a voice of strength for many, but several factors have resulted in more problems than ones solved. Major religious groups have attacked secular ones, but just as many secular groups have done the same.

A world where everybody believed in the same thing would be perfect, but boring. A world where everybody believed in the same thing would be perfect, but impossible. People will always have different viewpoints-- be them hostile or passive.

Secularism itself has made the world a better place, but atheists have not.
An effectively neutral person founded on effectively neutral philosophy. OOC
Tier 8, Level 0, Type 6. CCT is a 10.5 civilization, according to this index.
Economic Left/Right: 6.5
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 7.82
Economic Left/Right: 1.2
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.45

Imperial Joseon
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Imperial Joseon » Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:28 pm

Country of CityTowne wrote:Atheism has-- in several ways-- both caused and solved problems. It allowed people to focus more on what was there as apposed to what could be there. It offered both a voice of reason and a voice of strength for many, but several factors have resulted in more problems than ones solved. Major religious groups have attacked secular ones, but just as many secular groups have done the same.

A world where everybody believed in the same thing would be perfect, but boring. A world where everybody believed in the same thing would be perfect, but impossible. People will always have different viewpoints-- be them hostile or passive.

Does that specifically have to be atheists; why not agnostics?

Xeng He
Minister

Founded: Nov 14, 2011
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Xeng He » Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:29 pm

Ifreann wrote:
Satuga wrote:No... The default state of humanity had religion. It's why literally every civilization had some form of god or worshiped some sort of deity. Hell cavemen probably thought storms were some type angry god striking them down for not eating a fish right or something.

Explain to me how humans had religion before they invented religion. Explain to me how the first humans were somehow born believing in god without anyone ever explaining the idea to them or them inventing the idea themselves.

Is language the default state of humanity?

Anyway, there are bad things religions do or encourage that people ought to be persuaded out of doing, but in a society without the endorsement of ideas like freedom of religion baked in maybe you'd just end up with violently enforced atheism. Perhaps postmodernism is the real philosophy of peace--but it has problems too, from a civic perspective.
Last edited by Xeng He on Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blazedtown wrote:[an ism is] A term used by people who won't admit their true beliefs, or don't have any.
[spoiler=Quotes]
Galloism: ...social media is basically cancer. I’d like to reiterate that social media is bringing the downfall of society in a lot of ways.
I'm Not Telling You It's Going to Be Easy, I'm Telling You It's Going to be Worth It.
Oh my god this comic

Imperial Joseon
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Imperial Joseon » Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:31 pm

Xeng He wrote:
Ifreann wrote:Explain to me how humans had religion before they invented religion. Explain to me how the first humans were somehow born believing in god without anyone ever explaining the idea to them or them inventing the idea themselves.

Which language do you mean?

Xeng He
Minister

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Xeng He » Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:34 pm

Imperial Joseon wrote:
Xeng He wrote:

Any. Doesn't necessarily matter which.
Blazedtown wrote:[an ism is] A term used by people who won't admit their true beliefs, or don't have any.
[spoiler=Quotes]
Galloism: ...social media is basically cancer. I’d like to reiterate that social media is bringing the downfall of society in a lot of ways.
I'm Not Telling You It's Going to Be Easy, I'm Telling You It's Going to be Worth It.
Oh my god this comic

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:35 pm

Xeng He wrote:
Imperial Joseon wrote:

As as species we’ve always had the need to communicate. But language as a default state? What do you consider language exactly?
Slava Ukraini
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs

Imperial Joseon
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Imperial Joseon » Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:35 pm

Xeng He wrote:
Imperial Joseon wrote:

English is a universal language. Does it count as a default state?

Country of CityTowne
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Country of CityTowne » Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:36 pm

Imperial Joseon wrote:
Country of CityTowne wrote:Atheism has-- in several ways-- both caused and solved problems. It allowed people to focus more on what was there as apposed to what could be there. It offered both a voice of reason and a voice of strength for many, but several factors have resulted in more problems than ones solved. Major religious groups have attacked secular ones, but just as many secular groups have done the same.

Actually a decent point. Agnostic groups, those which are unsure of a higher power, lack the religious conviction of theists and lack the scientific convictions of atheists. While atheists and theists argue, agnostics tend to be outside of the conflict.

Xeng He
Minister

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Xeng He » Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:38 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
As as species we’ve always had the need to communicate. But language as a default state? What do you consider language exactly?

Using symbols to communicate ideas, above a certain level of complexity (which an actual linguist would know better than me).

Imperial Joseon wrote:
Xeng He wrote:

No, as there was a long period of history when English wasn't universal, and indeed didn't even exist--the only reason it does so now is because of how powerful English speaking countries are or were. There are also still non-English speakers that make up their own cohesive social groups.
Last edited by Xeng He on Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[spoiler=Quotes]
Oh my god this comic

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:40 pm

Xeng He wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

Using symbols to communicate ideas, above a certain level of complexity (which an actual linguist would know better than me).

So a mere system of gestures or noises to convey emotion wouldn’t qualify as such for you. I guess the need to communicate is the default state, but language isn’t necessarily that.
Slava Ukraini

Imperial Joseon
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Imperial Joseon » Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:40 pm

Country of CityTowne wrote:
Imperial Joseon wrote:

Actually a decent point. Agnostic groups, those which are unsure of a higher power, lack the religious conviction of theists and lack the scientific convictions of atheists. While atheists and theists argue, agnostics tend to be outside of the conflict.

Yeah, they might be more neutral.

Country of CityTowne
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Country of CityTowne » Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:41 pm

Satuga wrote:
Ifreann wrote:Atheism is the default state of humanity. It can't have made the world a better place because that just doesn't make sense, it's how the world always was until we invented gods.

No... The default state of humanity had religion. It's why literally every civilization had some form of god or worshiped some sort of deity. Hell cavemen probably thought storms were some type angry god striking them down for not eating a fish right or something.

Religion is not a 'default state of humanity'. Before language existed and even now, humans weren't born knowing how to speak. Humans weren't born knowing relgion, it's a thing people did to fulfill their natural curiosity and help them sleep at night.

Curiosity is a 'default state of humanity' a hell of a lot more than religion is, and even then that's not entirely correct. ;]

Tupolite
Attaché

Founded: Jan 24, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Tupolite » Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:43 pm

God or no, the deeply irrational instinct within the human personality that gives rise to religious convictions will remain, and those positivistic ideologies that futilely seek to etch that instinct from the metaphorical heart of man, as opposed to exploiting and refining it through myth-construction to accomplish certain goals, are doomed to failure.
Tupolite wrote:Sentience: The wherewithal to recognize when a gun is pointed at your head
Intelligence: The comprehension that the proper course of action is to get out of its way.

Lyrical International Brigade wrote:Holy crap, this is so close to being a rational thought it's physically painful.

Greater Victora wrote:What would happen if you were to combine a bunch of political ideologies I loathe with a passion? You'd get Tupolite. The only thing I don't hate about them is their pro-socioeconomic equality and maybe cultural christianity but that is it.
Political Test Results
Pro and Anti
Ideological Inspirations

Imperial Joseon
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Imperial Joseon » Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:47 pm

Tupolite wrote:God or no, the deeply irrational instinct within the human personality that gives rise to religious convictions will remain, and those positivistic ideologies that futilely seek to etch that instinct from the metaphorical heart of man, as opposed to exploiting and refining it through myth-construction to accomplish certain goals, are doomed to failure.

Probably just sects do that.

Albrenia
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Albrenia » Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:21 pm

Imperial Joseon wrote:
Xeng He wrote:

Since one has to learn a language, I wouldn't consider any language beyond whatever parts of facial and body language are innate within us as 'default'.

Even more so than religion though, someone remaining in that 'default' state for long would be incredibly rare.

The Emerald Legion
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 18, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby The Emerald Legion » Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:58 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

Whether you decide to teach your kid about the religion you profess or not is a very personal choice. You can tell them but don’t force them. Belief should definitely be an organic thing, not feel like an imposition. The best a religious parent can hope for is that their child will follow their religion happily. But being overly pushy about it can result in a child abandoning it all once they reach adulthood. It’s resented.

That’s what I think, at least. If you want to teach them about your beliefs, go ahead, just don’t be forceful. You want your child to genuinely believe in that, not do it because if they don’t, mommy and daddy are going to get mad.

Obviously. There is a sight of difference between forcing your child to abide by religious tenets they hate, and thumping the Bible every chance they get.... And just teaching your child the way you would teach them anything else.

This difference is often ignored in these discussions, where any form of religious upbringing is treated as malevolent brainwashing.
"23.The unwise man is awake all night, and ponders everything over; when morning comes he is weary in mind, and all is a burden as ever." - Havamal

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:04 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

Obviously. There is a sight of difference between forcing your child to abide by religious tenets they hate, and thumping the Bible every chance they get.... And just teaching your child the way you would teach them anything else.

This difference is often ignored in these discussions, where any form of religious upbringing is treated as malevolent brainwashing.

Agreed. But you do know religion evinces strong reactions from people, depending too on personal experience. I don’t think an adult that was forced into something as a child and had a bad experience with it would have a positive reaction to the idea of teaching a child about a particular creed.

Anecdotal: my mother’s half brother is a bible thumping minister. He forced his three kids into his faith and church morning, noon and night. Every week, no matter what. It was grueling and controlling. Those kids couldn’t even reasonably question things once they gained the ability and desire to. If they tried, there was hell to pay. As they grew into adults, guess how many of them still attend church or believe the way their dad does? None.
Slava Ukraini

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 23, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:43 pm

Hakons wrote:
Panslav wrote:
Disgusting, yet so true.

The propegation of my religion isn't comparable to child rape.

Well, if you are a Catholic it literally is - the Catholic Church after all was the worlds largest pedophile ring for decades if not centuries.
Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.
- Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:56 pm

The Alma Mater wrote:
Hakons wrote:

Well, if you are a Catholic it literally is - the Catholic Church after all was the worlds largest pedophile ring for decades if not centuries.

An exaggeration to the extreme, as you typically do, Alma.

The Catholic Church is hardly the only one that didn't deal with pedophiles properly before recent decades when people really started paying attention to these things and making reforms. The Boy Scouts are a notorious example, and oddly enough pedophiles keep popping up in our public education system. Not to mention our government is still filled with Epstein's buddies.

That being said, the Church has made reforms, and they seem to be working. There have been far fewer reports in recent decades as opposed to earlier. And errant clergy are losing their jobs. Unlike the Clintons.
Last edited by Salus Maior on Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Traditionalist Catholic, Constitutional Monarchist, Habsburg Nostalgic, Distributist, Disillusioned Millennial.

"In any case we clearly see....That some opportune remedy must be found quickly for the misery and wretchedness pressing so unjustly on the majority of the working class...it has come to pass that working men have been surrendered, isolated and helpless, to the hardheartedness of employers and the greed of unchecked competition." -Pope Leo XIII, Rerum Novarum

Albrenia
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Albrenia » Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:16 pm

Salus Maior wrote:
The Alma Mater wrote:

An exaggeration to the extreme, as you typically do, Alma.

The Catholic Church is hardly the only one that didn't deal with pedophiles properly before recent decades when people really started paying attention to these things and making reforms. The Boy Scouts are a notorious example, and oddly enough pedophiles keep popping up in our public education system. Not to mention our government is still filled with Epstein's buddies.

That being said, the Church has made reforms, and they seem to be working. There have been far fewer reports in recent decades as opposed to earlier. And errant clergy are losing their jobs. Unlike the Clintons.

They didn't exactly come to those reforms or punishments for the guilty clergy easily though. It's going to take a long time before many (including myself) are convinced that they're not still covering for those who commit crimes which can be covered up to save face.

You are right that it appears to be at least lessening now, though. I'm still waiting for the Church to really put their hearts into it and start excommunicating priests found guilty of such crimes.

As for the off-colour joke about religion being like pieces of male anatomy, I admit to having a chuckle about it. Teaching one's children what beliefs and values you hold is fine, as is sharing the traditions and customs. It's when you get to the point of trying to force it on them that's the problem.
Last edited by Albrenia on Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Satuga
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 27, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Satuga » Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:13 am

Country of CityTowne wrote:Religion is not a 'default state of humanity'. Before language existed and even now, humans weren't born knowing how to speak. Humans weren't born knowing relgion, it's a thing people did to fulfill their natural curiosity and help them sleep at night.

Curiosity is a 'default state of humanity' a hell of a lot more than religion is, and even then that's not entirely correct. ;]

Religion has been used to teach morals, give a "purpose" to life, and to explain things that humans at the time could not comprehend. The only reason that it didn't become widespread before the creation of civilization was because it would be an individual case of religion where every human thought of a different god in their own vision. I'm saying this as a person who isn't religious. It just so happens that humans use religion to explain the unexplained (to them).
Alt-Acc: Kronotek.
Funny quotes:
Infected Mushroom wrote:I don’t like democracy. It’s messy, disorderly, unclean.

I much prefer uniforms, soldiers, clear lines of authority, order.
Tarsonis wrote:
Fartsniffage wrote:Can the pair of you go do it in one of the myriad American politics threads?

(Image)

So help me I will throw your tea into the harbor again

Imperial Joseon
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Imperial Joseon » Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:15 am

The Alma Mater wrote:
Hakons wrote:

That doesn't apply to all Cahtolics.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General