NATION

PASSWORD

The Equal rights Amendment is it in the Constitution ?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

The Equal rights Amendment is it in the Constitution ?

Postby Greed and Death » Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:38 pm

So the State of Virginia has ratified the equal rights amendment, reaching the number needed to ratify the Amendment.

Provided you ignore the deadline originally set by congress. (March 22, 1979)
Provided you count the state that quantified ratification based on meeting the deadline(South Dakota).
Provided you ignore the states that rescinded ratification (Nebraska, Tennessee, Idaho, and Kentucky).

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politi ... t-n1126606

A lawsuit has been filed. The argument against the deadline is that it was not put in the text of the amendment but in the header. This seems extremely formalist. The other part of the argument is that states cannot rescind ratification once they have ratified an amendment.

so NSG is the ERA part of the Constitution or is the lawsuit just pissing in the wind ?

Also text of the ERA.
Resolved by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled (two-thirds of each House concurring therein), That the following article is proposed as an amendment to the Constitution of the United States, which shall be valid to all intents and purposes as part of the Constitution when ratified by the legislatures of three-fourths of the several States within seven years from the date of its submission by the Congress:

"ARTICLE —

"Section 1. Equality of rights under the law shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of sex.

"Sec. 2. The Congress shall have the power to enforce, by appropriate legislation, the provisions of this article.

"Sec. 3. This amendment shall take effect two years after the date of ratification."
Last edited by Greed and Death on Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:42 pm

That was our legal correspondent, Greed and Death. Thanks, G&D. Now back to the studio.

What are to discuss? Hmmm?
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:45 pm

Farnhamia wrote:That was our legal correspondent, Greed and Death. Thanks, G&D. Now back to the studio.

What are to discuss? Hmmm?

Is the ERA now part of the Constitution. These are honestly some really interesting legal questions.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Cannot think of a name » Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:52 pm

I tried to figure this out when the last state to ratify it did and it gave me a headache and I quit.
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

Albrenia
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Albrenia » Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:57 pm

So what does this Amendment say, exactly?

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:01 pm

Albrenia wrote:So what does this Amendment say, exactly?

Great question.

Here is the text.
Resolved by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled (two-thirds of each House concurring therein), That the following article is proposed as an amendment to the Constitution of the United States, which shall be valid to all intents and purposes as part of the Constitution when ratified by the legislatures of three-fourths of the several States within seven years from the date of its submission by the Congress:

"ARTICLE —

"Section 1. Equality of rights under the law shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of sex.

"Sec. 2. The Congress shall have the power to enforce, by appropriate legislation, the provisions of this article.

"Sec. 3. This amendment shall take effect two years after the date of ratification."

I will add it to the OP as well.
Barack Obama

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:06 pm

Cannot think of a name wrote:I tried to figure this out when the last state to ratify it did and it gave me a headache and I quit.

Virginia has ratified in the past few weeks; I don't believe there were any "proper" ratifications more recently than four-and-a-bit decades ago. In any case, the DoJ's Office of Legal Counsel says that only the passage of ERA II in Congress can lead to ERA ratification - and it is deeply unlikely that (m)any Congressional Republicans would support it as fervently as they did in 1972.
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading The World by Simon Sebag Montefiore

Albrenia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Albrenia » Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:09 pm

Huh. The wording of the Amendment doesn't seem that bad to me, although I'm not a lawyer so there's probably a few thousand loopholes which one could make out of it which I'm not aware of.

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Founded: Feb 10, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:12 pm

I keep reading this as the Equatorial rights amendment. Jesus, I need to go to sleep. Sorry.
Slava Ukraini
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:20 pm

Albrenia wrote:Huh. The wording of the Amendment doesn't seem that bad to me, although I'm not a lawyer so there's probably a few thousand loopholes which one could make out of it which I'm not aware of.

Well the arguments against its passage is that it would force both men and women to be drafted, prevent governments from having larger restrooms for women, end alimony for women who were home makers, and by and large otherwise end protections for women who choose traditional gender roles.
Barack Obama

Albrenia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Albrenia » Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:23 pm

Greed and Death wrote:
Albrenia wrote:Huh. The wording of the Amendment doesn't seem that bad to me, although I'm not a lawyer so there's probably a few thousand loopholes which one could make out of it which I'm not aware of.

Well the arguments against its passage is that it would force both men and women to be drafted, prevent governments from having larger restrooms for women, end alimony for women who were home makers, and by and large otherwise end protections for women who choose traditional gender roles.

Couldn't one extend those protections to men who are home makers as well to also solve that problem?

In the case of restrooms, that is one point concede, unless they just decide to make it one giant unisex bathroom but that could have other side effects.

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:26 pm

Albrenia wrote:
Greed and Death wrote:

Couldn't one extend those protections to men who are home makers as well to also solve that problem?

In the case of restrooms, that is one point concede, unless they just decide to make it one giant unisex bathroom but that could have other side effects.

There was also an argument that this would get rid of gendered restrooms.
Barack Obama

LiberNovusAmericae
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 10, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby LiberNovusAmericae » Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:30 pm

Greed and Death wrote:
Albrenia wrote:

I don't see how, unless someone proves that one set of bathrooms are always better than the other. Still, I'm neutral on this amendment currently.

Telconi
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Telconi » Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:56 pm

LiberNovusAmericae wrote:
Greed and Death wrote:

I don't see how, unless someone proves that one set of bathrooms are always better than the other. Still, I'm neutral on this amendment currently.

I seem to recall "Seperate but equal" as a concept that government had problem working...
-2.25 LEFT
-3.23 LIBERTARIAN

PRO:
-Weapons Rights
-Gender Equality
-LGBTQ Rights
-Racial Equality
-Religious Freedom
-Freedom of Speech
-Freedom of Association
-Life
-Limited Government
-Non Interventionism
-Labor Unions
-Environmental Protections
ANTI:
-Racism
-Sexism
-Bigotry In All Forms
-Government Overreach
-Government Surveillance
-Freedom For Security Social Transactions
-Unnecessary Taxes
-Excessively Specific Government Programs
-Foreign Entanglements
-Religious Extremism
-Fascists Masquerading as "Social Justice Warriors"

"The Constitution is NOT an instrument for the government to restrain the people,it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government-- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." ~ Patrick Henry

Telconi
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Telconi » Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:58 pm

Albrenia wrote:
Greed and Death wrote:

Allow house-husbands to receive alimony from working wives in the event of divorce.

I'm curious how this could effect reproductive rights. For example here in California, lower income women are provided with OB-GYN visits, and hormonal birth control free of charge. How do you extend equal entitlements of this fashion to men? Would this force the ending of these programs? What about entitlements for leave from work for pregnancy? Would we begin providing men paternity leave equal to expectant mother's leave?
-2.25 LEFT
-3.23 LIBERTARIAN

PRO:
-Weapons Rights
-Gender Equality
-LGBTQ Rights
-Racial Equality
-Religious Freedom
-Freedom of Speech
-Freedom of Association
-Life
-Limited Government
-Non Interventionism
-Labor Unions
ANTI:
-Racism
-Sexism
-Bigotry In All Forms
-Government Overreach
-Government Surveillance
-Unnecessary Taxes
-Foreign Entanglements
-Religious Extremism

"The Constitution is NOT an instrument for the government to restrain the people,it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government-- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." ~ Patrick Henry

Albrenia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Albrenia » Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:08 pm

Telconi wrote:
Albrenia wrote:

Allow house-husbands to receive alimony from working wives in the event of divorce.

I'm curious how this could effect reproductive rights. For example here in California, lower income women are provided with OB-GYN visits, and hormonal birth control free of charge. How do you extend equal entitlements of this fashion to men? Would this force the ending of these programs? What about entitlements for leave from work for pregnancy? Would we begin providing men paternity leave equal to expectant mother's leave?

I'm a fan of people getting Paternity leave in the case of single fathers, or in the case of couples the partners choosing one among themselves to receive leave while the other works. The health questions are rather too complex for me to have any idea what to do besides extending birth control measures to men as available.

Telconi
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Telconi » Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:09 pm

Albrenia wrote:
Telconi wrote:

I'm a fan of people getting Paternity leave in the case of single fathers, or in the case of couples the partners choosing one among themselves to receive leave while the other works. The health questions are rather too complex for me to have any idea what to do besides extending birth control measures to men as available.

I mean, permitting them to choose a parent to take time off for the child's birth is quite the Sophie's choice. One of these parents is actually physically inhibited from working...
-2.25 LEFT
-3.23 LIBERTARIAN

PRO:
-Weapons Rights
-Gender Equality
-LGBTQ Rights
-Racial Equality
-Religious Freedom
-Freedom of Speech
-Freedom of Association
-Life
-Limited Government
-Non Interventionism
-Labor Unions
ANTI:
-Racism
-Sexism
-Bigotry In All Forms
-Government Overreach
-Government Surveillance
-Unnecessary Taxes
-Foreign Entanglements
-Religious Extremism

Albrenia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Albrenia » Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:12 pm

Telconi wrote:
Albrenia wrote:

I mean, permitting them to choose a parent to take time off for the child's birth is quite the Sophie's choice. One of these parents is actually physically inhibited from working...

Fair point. There's not much I can think of to remedy that though, at least until the invention of whatever that thing is that Norman Reedus carries that baby around in is.

Telconi
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Telconi » Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:16 pm

Albrenia wrote:
Telconi wrote:

Fair point. There's not much I can think of to remedy that though, at least until the invention of whatever that thing is that Norman Reedus carries that baby around in is.

I think the only way to achieve equal treatment would be to give both parents paid time off.
-2.25 LEFT
-3.23 LIBERTARIAN

PRO:
-Weapons Rights
-Gender Equality
-LGBTQ Rights
-Racial Equality
-Religious Freedom
-Freedom of Speech
-Freedom of Association
-Life
-Limited Government
-Non Interventionism
-Labor Unions
ANTI:
-Racism
-Sexism
-Bigotry In All Forms
-Government Overreach
-Government Surveillance
-Unnecessary Taxes
-Foreign Entanglements
-Religious Extremism

Albrenia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Albrenia » Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:17 pm

Telconi wrote:
Albrenia wrote:

I think the only way to achieve equal treatment would be to give both parents paid time off.

That sounds fair enough too.

Samadhi
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 24, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Samadhi » Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:10 am

Is slave document bigger now?

I have a feeling this is going to require a lot of antiquated law terminology.
18 and female
Voluntaryist.
Enjoys watching social democrats act like authoritarian hell states are that much worse than them.
It's all slavery baby.
Proud cat mum, I love Snowy and Hijinks.

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:30 am

Telconi wrote:
Albrenia wrote:

I thought we were already in agreement on that and were just trying to figure out the practicalities.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:36 am

Virginia, ever since becoming democratic is passing stupid laws.

Era isnt necessary, federal law
already prohibits discrimination on the basis of sex.

But no it doesnt count as passage did not meet the requirements of the amendment.
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:38 am

Ethel mermania wrote:Virginia, ever since becoming democratic is passing stupid laws.

But no it doesnt count as passage did not meet the requirements of the amendment.

Right now sex discrimination is based on the intermediate scrutiny standard. The ERA using the same wording as the 14th would arguably make sex discrimination based on strict scrutiny.
Barack Obama

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:18 am

Greed and Death wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:Virginia, ever since becoming democratic is passing stupid laws.

Right now sex discrimination is based on the intermediate scrutiny standard. The ERA using the same wording as the 14th would arguably make sex discrimination based on strict scrutiny.

Honestly, excepting title 9 type stuff, I think sex discrimination laws are about where they need be.

I do believe orientation should be protected as well, but that's a different conversation.
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General