NATION

PASSWORD

How lonely are you in your country?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Do you feel lonely?

YES
65%
NO
35%

Total votes : 118

The Republic Of Cassadia
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 03, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby The Republic Of Cassadia » Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:36 am

I don't know from where I read this (internet, TV, movies, video games IDK), but to quote it all the same.

One is never truly alone.
Last edited by The Republic Of Cassadia on Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regional Map Of Krillin
Embassy Exchange Program Of The Holy Kingdom Of Cassadia
“All men are NOT created equal! Some are born smarter, or more beautiful, or with parents of greater status. Some, by contrast, are born of weak body or mind, or with few, if any, talents. All men are different! Yes, the very existence of man is discriminatory. That’s why there is war, violence and unrest.” – Charles Von Peacecraft

LRON
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 20, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby LRON » Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:40 am

Oh not at all! I have my wife, my paramours, and occasionally my children to keep me company!
Ravenous, ridiculous, and rakish!
Political fixer turned novelist.
Upper Class Anglo-Indian.
Proud Tory, but no longer a member of the Conservative Party.
Enthusiastically eccentric.

Earthbound Immortal Squad
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 12, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Earthbound Immortal Squad » Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:45 am

Pangania wrote:I would like to know how many people are lonely.

I usually do. Especially in the USA I tend to find that developed countries are more lonely than undeveloped country. When I was in Cuba I was constantly socially interacting, but in USA I'm mostly by myself. Most interactions in real life in USA are through small talk or waving to someone across the street. Rarely any real relationships. The only true friendships I ever made were online, but they tend to die out.

So what's your country and are you lonely?

I quite like the question. At first, I thought it was about your NS nation. Me personally I try to get to know a person in person before I contact them online as despite how many people you can get in touch with online, you don't really know anything about them. For example I could very easily act completely differently here than face to face and no one would know the difference. On NS it is different slightly as you don't know the persons name or what they look like, etc so in this case online interaction isn't that much of a drawback so to speak. It is really sad that many parts of the world are having less personal interactions and I do think there will be a point where it will go back that way but not in the immediate future.

So in answer to your question I don't feel lonely but at the same time I could feel less isolated too.
Merry Christmas!

VoVoDoCo
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 07, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby VoVoDoCo » Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:00 am

https://www.immigroup.com/news/top-10-l ... countries-

https://www.therichest.com/poorest-list ... the-world/

Two main things to look at.

1. The “loneliest” two countries in the world also report high levels of happiness and economic strength. The rest on that list display mixed happiness And economic strength ratings.

2. Those two list that I gave display the same countries in the same order, more or less since one of them only have eight. However one describes it as lonely and the other one goes on to describe it more as independence And a consequence of economic growth. It’s all in how you look at it.

For example, I live in the US and live a very solitary life. I really only see my coworkers and my girlfriend. And I don’t even see her that often. But I am very happy with my social situation. If you are lonely, and you’re religious, join a church. If you are not religious, there’s probably an atheist America chapter near you. Join an activist group. Join a book club. Volunteer.
Last edited by VoVoDoCo on Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Are use voice to text, so accept some typos and Grammatical errors.
I'm a moderate free-market Libertarian boomer with a soft spot for Agorism. Also an Atheist.

I try not to do these or have those. Feel free to let me know if I come short.

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 06, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:45 am

The thing that's making me feel really lonely today is that me and two of my friends accidentally hurt another guy we know. I told him me and the one dude were hanging out and the guy, who I consider to be my closest friend, thought we intentionally excluded him. Then my other friend called him and asked if he wanted to go bowling along with me and darr and it made him feel worse. So now I'm just trying to get through to him so he understands I didn't mean for it to seem like that.

I realized yesterday that im not as alone as I thought, but that only makes me value each of my friends more. It just hurts me that I made anyone I know feel left out, because I've been there before and it's a terrible feeling. I just wanna make things right and I really regret not telling him sooner than we were getting together so I could see if he wanted to join in
Rojava Free State wrote:Listen yall. I'm only gonna say it once but I want you to remember it. This ain't a world fit for good men. It seems like you gotta be monstrous just to make it. Gotta have a little bit of darkness within you just to survive. You gotta stoop low everyday it seems like. Stoop all the way down to the devil in these times. And then one day you look in the mirror and you realize that you ain't you anymore. You're just another monster, and thanks to your actions, someone else will eventually become as warped and twisted as you. Never forget that the best of us are just the best of a bad lot. Being at the top of a pile of feces doesn't make you anything but shit like the rest. Never forget that.

Purgatio
Negotiator

Founded: May 18, 2018
Corporate Police State

Postby Purgatio » Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:48 am

Lonely? Why? I have family, I still regularly meet up with old friends from high school, from Oxford, from internships, from my brief time in the SAF. Maybe this is overly-simplistic but I can't help but feel like so-called 'loneliness' is simply the product of people failing to maintain friendships or keep in touch with friends over time.
Purgatio is an absolutist hereditary monarchy run as a one-party fascist dictatorship, which seized power in a sudden and abrupt coup d'état of 1987-1988, on an authoritarian eugenic and socially Darwinistic political philosophy and ideology, now ruled and dominated with a brutal iron fist under the watchful reign of Le Grand Roi Chalon-Arlay de la Fayette and La Grande Reine Geneviève de la Fayette (née Aumont) (i.e., the 'Founding Couple' or Le Couple Fondateur).

For a domestic Purgation 'propagandist' view of its role in the world, see: An Introduction to Purgatio.

And for a more 'objective' international perspective on Purgatio's history, culture, and politics, see: A Brief Overview of the History, Politics, and Culture of Le Royaume du Nettoyage de la Purgatio.

Valkalan
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 26, 2009
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Valkalan » Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:48 am

I'm pretty introverted. I know of no such thing as loneliness. Being on my own is peaceful and invigorating. Other people are mostly just business.
Last edited by Valkalan on Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
वज्रमात अस्ता रिजथम

The Directorate of Valkalan is a federation of autonomous city-states which operate a joint military and share uniform commercial and civil law and a common foreign policy, and which is characterized by wealth, intrigue, and advanced technology.

Unstoppable Empire of Doom
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 18, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Unstoppable Empire of Doom » Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:37 am

Lonely for sure. I find it difficult to be social sadly.
Whoever said "you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink" has clearly never drown a horse.

Bear Stearns
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 02, 2018
Capitalizt

Postby Bear Stearns » Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:43 am

I struggle with forming deep connections.

I tend to use people. Friends are just acquaintances who can give me access to something I want. Co-workers are either adversarial or transactional. Women are for sex. I've cheated on every girlfriend I've had. I've knowingly slept with married women. I've thrown people under the bus when it suited me. So far, I've done a pretty good job of being discrete about this, and so far haven't been caught for anything. But it feels like I have a mask. I simply do not care for most people and at the end of the day I only pursue status and personal pleasure.

If I died, people would attend my funeral, but I don't think it would matter.
The Bear Stearns Companies, Inc. is a New York-based global investment bank, securities trading and brokerage firm. Its main business areas are capital markets, investment banking, wealth management and global clearing services. Bear Stearns was founded as an equity trading house on May Day 1923 by Joseph Ainslie Bear, Robert B. Stearns and Harold C. Mayer with $500,000 in capital.
383 Madison Ave,
New York, NY 10017
Vince Vaughn

Saiwania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Saiwania » Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:46 am

Loneliness is for the weak. Do something about it or get past that need on your own. Whatever is easier to you.

Perhaps there is no real purpose to life, but that if you stay for long enough- you can still find plenty worthwhile about it.
Sith Acolyte
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken!

Noel
Attaché

Founded: Jul 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Noel » Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:05 pm

I don't have any friends, any good relationships with anyone, nothing like that for the last ten years, but I don't feel lonely. There were times, but they are very occasional, and I've found ways to cope out of it. :)

It's true that technology and urbanization isolates you if you don't take charge of the advantages of them, whereas a person in a less urban or technological society will have to socialize against their will. I can go out and walk in the city and be as obnoxious or unassuming as I'd like and the window of acceptable behavior is a lot wider. I can go buddy up with homeless people, have a chat with some dude that's willing to initiate it, whatever. Especially now online. Those small interactions afford you a lot more freedom to be nobody. If you live in a small town and you gain a certain reputation, well you're really screwed into it then until you leave.

Loneliness is for the weak. Do something about it or get past that need on your own. Whatever is easier to you.

Nerves and lack of experience usually prevent them from doing anything about it. It's a real problem and needs more than just get over it.

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:27 pm

Bear Stearns wrote:I struggle with forming deep connections.

I tend to use people. Friends are just acquaintances who can give me access to something I want. Co-workers are either adversarial or transactional. Women are for sex. I've cheated on every girlfriend I've had. I've knowingly slept with married women. I've thrown people under the bus when it suited me. So far, I've done a pretty good job of being discrete about this, and so far haven't been caught for anything. But it feels like I have a mask. I simply do not care for most people and at the end of the day I only pursue status and personal pleasure.

I have a feeling that if there is a hell, I'm gonna be seeing alot of people I know when I get there. I really don't know how to feel about this post since on one hand I like you bear Stearns, but on the other hand jesus christ you've got the symptoms of sociopathy in the first degree
Last edited by Rojava Free State on Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rojava Free State wrote:Listen yall. I'm only gonna say it once but I want you to remember it. This ain't a world fit for good men. It seems like you gotta be monstrous just to make it. Gotta have a little bit of darkness within you just to survive. You gotta stoop low everyday it seems like. Stoop all the way down to the devil in these times. And then one day you look in the mirror and you realize that you ain't you anymore. You're just another monster, and thanks to your actions, someone else will eventually become as warped and twisted as you. Never forget that the best of us are just the best of a bad lot. Being at the top of a pile of feces doesn't make you anything but shit like the rest. Never forget that.

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:10 pm

Its 3:09 and I still haven't heard from my best friend. I really messed things up

Veceria
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jul 12, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Veceria » Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:39 pm

Extremely. Living in a rural village in a country that is rather conservative unless they need to paint themselves as progressive. The only "friends" I regularly talk to live several countries away.
[FT]|Does not use NS stats.
Zeth Rekia wrote:You making Zeno horny.

DesAnges wrote:People don't deserve respect, they earn it.

10,000,000th post.
FoxTropica wrote:And then Hurdegaryp kissed Thafoo, Meanwhile Fox-Mary-"Sue"-Tropica saved TET from destruction and everyone happily forever.

Then suddenly fights broke out because hey, it's the internet.

Hurd is Hurd is Hurd.
Discord: Fenrisúlfr#3521
(send me a TG before sending me a friend request though)
I'm Austrian, if you need german translations, feel free to send me a TG.

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:41 pm

Sometimes I feel cursed being such an extrovert. I hate how I view everyone around me with such importance that I'm always scared of letting them down

Esternial
Retired Moderator

Founded: May 09, 2009
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Esternial » Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:23 pm

I live in a city, where all of my friends also live, so I can't complain :)

Though I wish I could muster up the effort to be a bit more organized so I stop losing contact with people. I can get quite absorbed with my work and little projects.

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:50 pm

Is there anyone else here who wants to be really open with their friends about their emotions, but doesn't know if they want to be because they're worried everyone would just think they were weird or were a pussy or something?

Shout if you have doubt

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Founded: Feb 10, 2008

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:08 pm

Very much so. I’m Spanish and where I live, the closest you get is Mexicans. There aren’t any Spaniards where I live. It’s culturally isolating and it makes me feel lonely.
Slava Ukraini
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:13 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:Very much so. I’m Spanish and where I live, the closest you get is Mexicans. There aren’t any Spaniards where I live. It’s culturally isolating and it makes me feel lonely.

I still don't understand why you moved down south. Spaniards are western Europeans and are far more socially liberal than the south. I can imagine you being caught in that one sketch from king of the hill where someone asks if you're from Mexico or if you're from Puerto rico, and when you say you're from Spain, they say "so are you Mexican or are you puerto rican?"
Last edited by Rojava Free State on Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Esternial
Retired Moderator

Founded: May 09, 2009

Postby Esternial » Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:14 pm

Rojava Free State wrote:I have a feeling that if there is a hell, I'm gonna be seeing alot of people I know when I get there. I really don't know how to feel about this post since on one hand I like you bear Stearns, but on the other hand jesus christ you've got the symptoms of sociopathy in the first degree

Maybe not call people sociopaths in the future.

I don't know you, but I think you're viewing yourself in an overly negative light.

We all make some decisions were not proud of, and - correct me if I'm wrong - you don't seem proud of it. That and your self-reflection on all that seems to tell me you've got more emotional depth than your description would suggest. So yes, perhaps you are wearing a mask. More than five years ago I felt similar, feeling like some of my actions were almost manipulative, using emotions as some sort of means to an end. Maybe you're painting yourself as a bad person and settling into that role?

I'd recommend talking to someone who can ask you the right questions so you can identify what is preventing you from lowering your barrier.

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:16 pm

Esternial wrote:
Rojava Free State wrote:I have a feeling that if there is a hell, I'm gonna be seeing alot of people I know when I get there. I really don't know how to feel about this post since on one hand I like you bear Stearns, but on the other hand jesus christ you've got the symptoms of sociopathy in the first degree

Maybe not call people sociopaths in the future.

I don't know you, but I think you're viewing yourself in an overly negative light.

We all make some decisions were not proud of, and - correct me if I'm wrong - you don't seem proud of it. That and your self-reflection on all that seems to tell me you've got more emotional depth than your description would suggest. So yes, perhaps you are wearing a mask. More than five years ago I felt similar, feeling like some of my actions were almost manipulative, using emotions as some sort of means to an end. Maybe you're painting yourself as a bad person and settling into that role?

I'd recommend talking to someone who can ask you the right questions so you can identify what is preventing you from lowering your barrier.

I didn't call him a sociopath. I said he shows some symptoms of it. I'm not a psychologist. I can't give an official diagnosis of anything nor am I condemning bear Stearns, because believe me there's alot people could condemn me for
Last edited by Rojava Free State on Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:18 pm

Rojava Free State wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:Very much so. I’m Spanish and where I live, the closest you get is Mexicans. There aren’t any Spaniards where I live. It’s culturally isolating and it makes me feel lonely.

I still don't understand why you moved down south. Spaniards are western Europeans and are far more socially liberal than the south. I can imagine you being caught in that one sketch from king of the hill where someone asks if you're from Mexico or if you're from Puerto rico, and when you say you're from Spain, they say "so are you Mexican or are you puerto rican?"

I’m not here by choice but because my husband lives here. We’re planning our move. Trust me, I don’t enjoy being South at all. I find it stifling.
Slava Ukraini
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:20 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Rojava Free State wrote:

I’m not here by choice but because my husband lives here. We’re planning our move. Trust me, I don’t enjoy being South at all. I find it stifling.

That's gotta be weird when you walk into a store and order something and people just look at you strange because you got an accent.

Everyone tells me I have a noticeable accent and I would say about 1/3 of people like it, 1/3 of people don't care and 1/3 of people look at me weird

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:22 pm

Rojava Free State wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

That's gotta be weird when you walk into a store and order something and people just look at you strange because you got an accent.

Everyone tells me I have a noticeable accent and I would say about 1/3 of people like it, 1/3 of people don't care and 1/3 of people look at me weird

According to my husband my accent is almost non-existent. I do get dirty looks when I speak in Spanish. And have been told “this is America, speak English” before. To which I just laugh, turn around and continue speaking in Spanish. Again, it’s the South. I don’t expect much. :lol2:
Slava Ukraini

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:23 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Rojava Free State wrote:

According to my husband my accent is almost non-existent. I do get dirty looks when I speak in Spanish. And have been told “this is America, speak English” before. To which I just laugh, turn around and continue speaking in Spanish. Again, it’s the South. I don’t expect much. :lol2:

Well you must speak better English than I do then. My English skills when writing are far better than when I speak. When I write I come across like Charles Dickens. When I talk I sound like Caribbean trump. That's why I am very reluctant to go south. That and their conservative views which differ from mine so much that if we drew a venn diagram of their views and mine, the circles would be on separate planets
Last edited by Rojava Free State on Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General