NATION

PASSWORD

The Chrome Wars

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

What is the best web browser?

Google Chrome
50%
Mozilla Firefox
27%
Opera
2%
Microsoft Edge
3%
Internet Explorer
3%
Safari
5%
Other
10%

Total votes : 143

Red Roja
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 21, 2020
Ex-Nation

The Chrome Wars

Postby Red Roja » Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:52 pm

So what is your favorite web browser to use and why?

By far, my favorite is Mozilla Firefox because it is light on RAM, fairly customizable with a lot of extensions, is opensource software, has strong privacy tools, is pretty fast, and they have no history of selling users' data to any third party groups. Of course, as a non-profit organization, Mozilla has very little incentive to do so.

Although Chrome is the most popular web browser, it is my least favorite. Although it is fairly customizable with a lot of extensions and is pretty fast, it is also heavy on RAM and Google has a troubling history of routinely selling their users' data to various third-parties (including shady ones) without their knowledge. Some people even go as far as to say that it is little more than spyware pretending to be a web browser. Also, when I tried Chrome it seemed kind of buggy compared to Firefox. Overall, I don't recommend it.

There are some good things to say about Opera such as their strong privacy tools, built-in VPN, and them not selling any of their users' information to third parties. However, Opera is a lot less customizable than Firefox and Chrome and it is slightly slower.

Microsoft Edge comes built in all Windows 10 PCs. Aside from a modest number of extensions, it has nothing really remarkable about it and it is kind of slow. Due to its lack of use and popularity among users, Microsoft is going to discontinue Edge later this year.

Internet Explorer was the reigning King of web browsers until about 10 years ago and is now among the least popular and least well-known. But, it still exists and it has actually improved in the past decade. It now has decent privacy tools, decent speed, and it is light on RAM.
I hate conservatism. But, I REALLY FUCKING HATE LIBERALISM!!!!!!

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:32 pm

Red Roja wrote:Microsoft Edge comes built in all Windows 10 PCs. Aside from a modest number of extensions, it has nothing really remarkable about it and it is kind of slow. Due to its lack of use and popularity among users, Microsoft is going to discontinue Edge later this year.

Source?
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Nuroblav
Minister

Founded: Nov 13, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Nuroblav » Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:34 pm

Chrome is the one I've always used so I guess I've stuck with it. Firefox is alright but I'm not a fan of Safari at all.
Your NS mutualist(?), individualist, metalhead and all-round...err...human. TG if you have any questions about my political or musical views.

Economic Left/Right: -4.75, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -9.03

\m/ METAL IS BASED \m/

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Founded: May 22, 2017
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:56 pm

I would use Firefox, but I think my phone's too old to download it. So I use DuckDuckGo.
The Internet killed gun control.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
They can’t stop the Signal
"The universe did never make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract."
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability
Suitability (.22LR for squirrels, bigger .22s for long range little things, and big-bore for legal hunting reasons, etc)
Ammunition supply-chain (6.5x55 Swede and .303 British, although available, isn't exactly everywhere)
If it's ugly, uncomfortable, and can't shoot straight, but it accomplishes the above, then it's either a Mosin or a Hi-Point."
-Hurtful Thoughts on stuff you want in a gun

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:59 pm

Pax Nerdvana wrote:I would use Firefox, but I think my phone's too old to download it. So I use DuckDuckGo.

Duck is a search engine rather than a web browser, is it not?
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

Wave on, wave on

Stellar Colonies
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 27, 2017
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Stellar Colonies » Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:03 pm

I use whatever's available (Safari on tablet and phone, etc.), but a relative of mine makes a point of using Waterfox.
Floofybit wrote:Your desired society should be one where you are submissive and controlled
Primitive Communism wrote:What bodily autonomy do men need?
Techocracy101010 wrote:If she goes on a rampage those saggy wonders are as deadly as nunchucks
Parmistan wrote:It's not ALWAYS acceptable when we do it, but it's MORE acceptable when we do it.
Theodorable wrote:Jihad will win.
Distruzio wrote:All marriage outside the Church is gay marriage.
Khardsland wrote:Terrorism in its original definition is a good thing.
I try to be objective, but I do have some biases.

North Californian.
Stellar Colonies is a loose galactic confederacy.

The Confederacy & the WA.

Add 1200 years.

Noel
Attaché

Founded: Jul 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Noel » Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:04 pm

It really depends on the context for me.
- Chrome is good because they have in-browser options to disable and whitelist javascript and images. That's really good if I'm visiting all kinds of websites and want faster page loads and not to be assaulted by gross images. (I know you can sort of do this with add-ons or extensions in firefox too [not as neatly], but I really hate having to deal with add-ons.)
-- On the other hand, I see them pulling an Apple and removing features for the sake of minimalism or ease of comprehension, which really bugs me, and makes me think I cannot rely on Chrome to always have the same features. (Compare the most recent settings menu with older ones, some functionality is gone or dumbed-down.)
- Firefox is good because they're the only big web browser developer that seem totally benevolent at the moment and willing to play nice with smaller browsers. I would feel a lot more comfortable about the future of the web if Firefox had the largest market share, so I pitch in and use it when it's most convenient. :)
- If I'm on Windows I like K-Meleon because it renders pages much more quickly than Firefox, Chrome/Edge, or IE do. Starting around 2015 it became almost impossible to comfortably browse the web on my machine, but K-Meleon makes it almost as fast as it is on Linux.

Unfortunately, in the last couple years many websites are explicitly dropping support for all but Chrome/Firefox/Edge, ESPECIALLY in the way recaptcha works now. So I feel a deep burning enmity for those big dominating bastards.
Last edited by Noel on Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Imperial Joseon
Minister

Founded: Dec 13, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Imperial Joseon » Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:07 pm

Firefox used to be the best, but now it lags for me. So, I don't use it anymore. Chrome wins!
Champions - Sporting World Cup 10 (U-18),

Saiwania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Saiwania » Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:24 pm

I use Mozilla Firefox primarily because of its customization/add ons that I wouldn't get from other mainstream browsers. I also need a browser that supports Adobe Flash until its End of Life date for this year. Mozilla does this with an Extended Support Release (ESR) version of its browser.

I find that it is usually worthwhile to have each browser with any substantial market share installed, because different websites will perform best with different browsers. But I only use one as my main for web surfing. If a browser has 1% or less of market share, it is niche and thus can be ignored in most cases.

I don't like Google Chrome, but I still have it in case I'll need it. Its logical anyways, if Chrome is at 69% usage globally speaking. Its too important for me to dismiss because, what if a certain website wants it?

The mainstream browsers that have major market share (as of 2020):
Chrome- 69%
Firefox- 9%
Safari- 8% (you won't get it unless you use Apple products)
Edge- 4%
IE- 4%
Opera- 2%

All of those together cover around 96% of the web with nearly everything else being niche or obscure.
Sith Acolyte
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken!

Imperial Joseon
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Imperial Joseon » Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:25 pm

Saiwania wrote:I use Mozilla Firefox primarily because of its customization/add ons that I wouldn't get from other mainstream browsers. I also need a browser that supports Adobe Flash until its End of Life date for this year. Mozilla does this with an Extended Support Release (ESR) version of its browser.

I find that it is usually worthwhile to have each browser with any substantial market share installed, because different websites will perform best with different browsers. But I only use one as my main for web surfing. If a browser has 1% or less of market share, it is niche and thus can be ignored in most cases.

I don't like Google Chrome, but I still have it in case I'll need it. Its logical anyways, if Chrome is at 69% usage globally speaking. Its too important for me to dismiss because, what if a certain website wants it?

The mainstream browsers that have major market share (as of 2020):
Chrome- 69%
Firefox- 9%
Safari- 8% (you won't get it unless you use Apple products)
Edge- 4%
IE- 4%
Opera- 2%

All of those together cover around 96% of the web with nearly everything else being niche or obscure.

Wow, there are people who actually use Edge.

Agend
Bureaucrat

Founded: Apr 24, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Agend » Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:43 pm

Tor, The Onion Browser.
Morality, justice, and honor are subjective.
Knowledge is power
Absolute Monarchist
16personalities.com- Assertive Logician- INTP-A
The True Human Beings are almost dead. However, almost dead is not dead.
History started when the Spanish Mustang met the above and the above met them.

Saiwania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Saiwania » Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:44 pm

Stellar Colonies wrote:I use whatever's available (Safari on tablet and phone, etc.), but a relative of mine makes a point of using Waterfox.

There is no point of using Waterfox anymore over Firefox (unless it has a major feature that distinguishes it). Mozilla Firefox is now 64-bit instead of just 32-bit.

The problem with using a fork or niche browser is that a lot of websites might break or not perform as well in practice, because most websites' source code will be expecting a mainstream browser and the web coding is typically designed to anticipate users of popular browsers more.
Sith Acolyte
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken!

Agend
Bureaucrat

Founded: Apr 24, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Agend » Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:46 pm

You should include tor as a poll option.
Morality, justice, and honor are subjective.
Knowledge is power
Absolute Monarchist
16personalities.com- Assertive Logician- INTP-A
The True Human Beings are almost dead. However, almost dead is not dead.
History started when the Spanish Mustang met the above and the above met them.

Cekoviu
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Cekoviu » Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:48 pm

I use Vivaldi. It being partially closed source is not ideal, but it's got some indispensable features and I love the customizability (that's a big deal for me - also why I use KDE).
The New California Republic wrote:
Pax Nerdvana wrote:I would use Firefox, but I think my phone's too old to download it. So I use DuckDuckGo.

Duck is a search engine rather than a web browser, is it not?

There's a DuckDuckGo mobile web browser. I don't think there's a desktop version.
pro: women's rights
anti: men's rights

Cekoviu
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Cekoviu » Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:49 pm

Agend wrote:Tor, The Onion Browser.

i.e. Firefox
pro: women's rights
anti: men's rights

Xmara
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 31, 2014
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Xmara » Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:51 pm

I use Safari when using my computer, phone, and tablet. If I’m using a Windows computer (which is generally at school), I use Chrome. I used to use Chrome on my MacBook, but it just drained the battery life from it.
/ˈzmaːrʌ/
Info
Our Leader
Status- Code Green- All clear
I mostly use NS stats, except for population and tax rates.
We are not Estonia.
A 16.8 civilization, according to this index.
Flag Waver

Support
Ukraine

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:52 pm

Cekoviu wrote:

i.e. Firefox

While it is Firefox based, I'd argue that its functionality is different enough to warrant distinguishing it.

Wave on, wave on

Saiwania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Saiwania » Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:54 pm

Tor isn't going to keep anyone anonymous if the intention is to do illegal stuff as opposed to something like evading bans or bypassing censorship. The police easily bust people with ISP help if they're cracking down on something. In countries with internet censorship, its not all that certain whether people can really use Tor to surf the internet as they want, and not get noticed.
Last edited by Saiwania on Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sith Acolyte

Trollzyn the Infinite
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 22, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Trollzyn the Infinite » Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:57 pm

I've used Firefox since it came out. Haven't had any reason to switch and I literally have zero complaints. It's the best.
☆ American Patriot ☆ Civic Nationalist ☆ Rocker & Metalhead ☆ Heretical Christian ☆
"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right."

Reminder that Donald J. Trump is officially a traitor to the United States of America as of January 6th, 2021
The Paradox of Tolerance
永远不会忘记1989年6月4日天安门广场大屠杀
Ես Արցախի կողքին եմ
Wanted Fugitive of the Chinese Communist Party
Unapologetic stan for Lana Beniko - #1 Sith Waifu

Stanier
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Aug 28, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Stanier » Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:59 pm

I personally use the Chromium-built Microsoft Edge after bouncing around for a while with every major browser. Chrome ate all my RAM and was slow as crap on my ten-year-old PC, Firefox gobbled up my dual-core CPU, though it was fast, it hung up rather frequently due to CPU over usage, I never liked Opera, and then there's the original EdgeHTML, which barely worked because it's, apparently, heavily reliant on a GPU, which I didn't have at the time. So when Microsoft released the first preview builds I gave it a shot because I had nothing to lose except looking for a non-mainstream browser that most of the time I wouldn't be able to sync with a mobile app. The new Edge is unironically fast and light on resources, syncs properly even with the shitty internet of Venezuela, collections is very useful when browsing around looking for YARR ARR stuff :p, and last but not least, Microsoft might collect some of my data, but with that tracking protection it doesn't let third-parties get a long whiff of it like Google does.

I am intentionally... Edgy, so to speak.
Call me Lima
Kako (Yes, she is her own person inside my head) and I are Jeff Lynne's No. 1 fans.
Italic text with mostly lower case letters = I'm joking.
Stanier is set in 2016 and it's stuck there 'till I can finish this lore.
NS stats are used, but policies aren't.
Slowly learning Italian

La Voce di Stanier, NULL NaN: Kako quote of the [INSERT DETERMINATE REFRESH PERIOD] "The floof does not discriminate, be it catto, doggo, birb, or bnnuy. All fluff was created equal"|New plan, minor worldbuilding, focus on the characters, sideline the leader. THE MEAT MUST BE IN THE BACKGROUND CHARACTERS!

Imperial Joseon
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Imperial Joseon » Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:00 pm

Trollzyn the Infinite wrote:I've used Firefox since it came out. Haven't had any reason to switch and I literally have zero complaints. It's the best.

I heard Chrome is the fastest for browsing things on Google.

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:07 pm

Saiwania wrote:

Tor isn't going to keep anyone anonymous if the intention is to do illegal stuff as opposed to something like evading bans or bypassing censorship. The police easily bust people with ISP help if they're cracking down on something.

Wrong. If used correctly then your ISP will not know what sites you have visited.

Wave on, wave on

Trollzyn the Infinite
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 22, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Trollzyn the Infinite » Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:12 pm

Imperial Joseon wrote:
Trollzyn the Infinite wrote:I've used Firefox since it came out. Haven't had any reason to switch and I literally have zero complaints. It's the best.

I heard Chrome is the fastest for browsing things on Google.

Yeah, well, I'm a gamer. I need that RAM for more important things - like patrolling the Mojave and wishing for a nuclear winter.
☆ American Patriot ☆ Civic Nationalist ☆ Rocker & Metalhead ☆ Heretical Christian ☆
"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right."

Reminder that Donald J. Trump is officially a traitor to the United States of America as of January 6th, 2021
The Paradox of Tolerance
永远不会忘记1989年6月4日天安门广场大屠杀
Ես Արցախի կողքին եմ
Wanted Fugitive of the Chinese Communist Party
Unapologetic stan for Lana Beniko - #1 Sith Waifu

Saiwania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Saiwania » Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:42 pm

The New California Republic wrote:Wrong. If used correctly then your ISP will not know what sites you have visited.

Anything that is downloaded can be traced to an approximate location if an ISP tries hard enough, assuming it went through their network. Much like how the phone company is going to have your phone records for a time, if the state really wants it and they comply.
Last edited by Saiwania on Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sith Acolyte

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:55 pm

Saiwania wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:Wrong. If used correctly then your ISP will not know what sites you have visited.

Anything that is downloaded can be traced to an approximate location if an ISP tries hard enough, assuming it went through their network. Much like how the phone company is going to have your phone records for a time, if the state really wants it and they comply.

It's end-to-end encrypted, so no.

Wave on, wave on

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General