NATION

PASSWORD

Why the us should cut useless courses from college degrees.

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Totenborg
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 23, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Totenborg » Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:17 pm

The Republic of Fore wrote:
Cannot think of a name wrote:You wanna back that one up, give it a consider and try again?

I'll give you a hint at where you might have gone wrong, just in case. The average walking speed is three miles an hour. Subtracting an eight our work day, that's sixteen hours left. I'll give you some time with those figures, you get back to us.

Yeah that's a math mistake on my part. But okay, even then. You can walk 48 miles in 16 hours. Why do you live 48 miles from your job? I'd be willing to bet the vast majority of people don't live half of that distance. Maybe 10 miles.

The largest employer in my area is a factory that is located close to thirty miles outside of the main town. It's close to sixty miles from my house. It's anecdotal, but I'm betting it's not uncommon. I think that if you spent some time living in rural area, your perspective would rapidly change.
Rabid anti-fascist.
Existential nihilist.
Lifer metalhead.
Unrepentant fan of birds.

The Republic of Fore
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 10, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby The Republic of Fore » Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:18 pm

Jebslund wrote:
The Republic of Fore wrote:Nurses and doctors haven't been filled or dried up. At least not stateside. There's a huge shortage of them. And people are still getting jobs with tech and engineering degrees. And the housing bubble is over. Even considering all of those, It's still their problem.

Depends on where you are stateside. As for people still getting jobs in tech and engineering, there are far less than there were before outsourcing became the status quo. The housing crisis may have passed, but that doesn't help the people who couldn't get decent jobs because they had invested in what showed few, if any, signs of slowing down and that meant job security and good pay.

As for it still being their problem, how the hell were they to know that, just before they graduated, their jobs would dry up? Your argument was that they were incompetent. Mine is that they were not.

My argument is that not everyone who wasted money on a degree is a victim of random chance. Some people just did make stupid choices. And sure, they weren't able to know it would happen. But that doesn't change that It's their problem. No one held a gun to their head and made them go.

Neu California
Senator

Founded: Jul 12, 2009
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Neu California » Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:18 pm

I don't know what they do (office work and the like, I assume) but a lot of people living here in San Bernardino commute to LA fifty someodd miles west of here.

My dad worked at an auto wrecker for much of his life, taking a fifty five mile commute to get there through LA's infamous traffic
"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little"-FDR
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a communist"-Dom Helder Camara
"When you're accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression"-Unknown
He/him
Aspie and proud
I'm a weak agnostic without atheistic or theistic leanings.
Endless sucker for romantic lesbian stuff

"During my research I interviewed a guy who said he was a libertarian until he did MDMA and realized that other people have feelings, and that was pretty much the best summary of libertarianism I've ever heard"

Imperial Joseon
Minister

Founded: Dec 13, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Imperial Joseon » Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:18 pm

Neu California wrote:If you're walking fifty miles each way to and from work, how long is is that timewise? Does that leave time for extracurricular activities, sleep, etc.?

Because I'm sure people don't want to live solely to work.

And not every place has a good mass transit network. Austin, iirc, is a large city that doesn't have one and the voters refuse to vote to implement one

Still sounds like their problem. What the hell do you do if you live 50 miles from work?

You should be responsible on getting a home close to your workplace or school, really.
Champions - Sporting World Cup 10 (U-18),

The Republic of Fore
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby The Republic of Fore » Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:19 pm

Totenborg wrote:
The Republic of Fore wrote:Yeah that's a math mistake on my part. But okay, even then. You can walk 48 miles in 16 hours. Why do you live 48 miles from your job? I'd be willing to bet the vast majority of people don't live half of that distance. Maybe 10 miles.

The largest employer in my area is a factory that is located close to thirty miles outside of the main town. It's close to sixty miles from my house. It's anecdotal, but I'm betting it's not uncommon. I think that if you spent some time living in rural area, your perspective would rapidly change.

And as I already said, the vast majority of Americans don't live in rural areas. Your experience doesn't apply to everyone else. And nobody forces people to live that far from employment.

Neu California
Senator

Postby Neu California » Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:20 pm

Imperial Joseon wrote:
The Republic of Fore wrote:Still sounds like their problem. What the hell do you do if you live 50 miles from work?

You should be responsible on getting a home close to your workplace or school, really.

And if you can't afford to, say because property prices get higher the closer you get?
"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little"-FDR
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a communist"-Dom Helder Camara
He/him
Aspie and proud

"During my research I interviewed a guy who said he was a libertarian until he did MDMA and realized that other people have feelings, and that was pretty much the best summary of libertarianism I've ever heard"

The Republic of Fore
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby The Republic of Fore » Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:20 pm

Neu California wrote:I don't know what they do (office work and the like, I assume) but a lot of people living here in San Bernardino commute to LA fifty someodd miles west of here.

My dad worked at an auto wrecker for much of his life, taking a fifty five mile commute to get there through LA's infamous traffic

And that's their choice to do so. I have negative sympathy for them.

The Republic of Fore
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby The Republic of Fore » Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:21 pm

Neu California wrote:
Imperial Joseon wrote:

And if you can't afford to, say because property prices get higher the closer you get?

See answer A. Your problem.

Kubra
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 15, 2006
Father Knows Best State

Postby Kubra » Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:21 pm

Totenborg wrote:The largest employer in my area is a factory that is located close to thirty miles outside of the main town. It's close to sixty miles from my house. It's anecdotal, but I'm betting it's not uncommon. I think that if you spent some time living in rural area, your perspective would rapidly change.

And as I already said, the vast majority of Americans don't live in rural areas. Your experience doesn't apply to everyone else. And nobody forces people to live that far from employment.
What do you think are the main factors involved in choosing ones domicile
“Atomic war is inevitable. It will destroy half of humanity: it is going to destroy immense human riches. It is very possible. The atomic war is going to provoke a true inferno on Earth. But it will not impede Communism.”
Comrade J. Posadas

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Cannot think of a name » Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:21 pm

Cannot think of a name wrote:You wanna back that one up, give it a consider and try again?

I'll give you a hint at where you might have gone wrong, just in case. The average walking speed is three miles an hour. Subtracting an eight our work day, that's sixteen hours left. I'll give you some time with those figures, you get back to us.

Yeah that's a math mistake on my part. But okay, even then. You can walk 48 miles in 16 hours. Why do you live 48 miles from your job? I'd be willing to bet the vast majority of people don't live half of that distance. Maybe 10 miles.

The average commute for an American is 16 miles. If don't need to be 'willing to bet' on things you can just look up.

As to why you live so far from your job...there are a number of reasons for that to happen.
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

Neu California
Senator

Postby Neu California » Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:22 pm

Neu California wrote:I don't know what they do (office work and the like, I assume) but a lot of people living here in San Bernardino commute to LA fifty someodd miles west of here.

And that's their choice to do so. I have negative sympathy for them.

And I don't care what sympathy you have for them. You asked who lives fifty miles from their place of work and multiple people provided examples
He/him
Aspie and proud

The Republic of Fore
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby The Republic of Fore » Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:22 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Kubra wrote:Still tho guys there might legit be some courses that could perhaps be trimmed without too much consternation.
I mean midwifery always seemed like a dubious bachelors degree to me, I mean it's not that it doesn't pay but as far as childbirth professionals go it's the one that strikes me as, well, kind of niche.

I can understand not asking a med student to take, say, philosophy of history, because they will more than likely not need it for their job. But there are certain courses that probably, for what I’ve seen, should be mandatory. Teach people to write coherently, to spell (because yes, there are college level students who can’t spell to save their lives), for example. Basic biology and physics too. And yes, a semester of philosophy wouldn’t hurt.

Okay, but what if some people don't need to be taught to spell? Make people who need writing and spelling courses take them. Don't waste everyone else's time.

Kubra
Post Marshal

Father Knows Best State

Postby Kubra » Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:23 pm

Cannot think of a name wrote:
The Republic of Fore wrote:Yeah that's a math mistake on my part. But okay, even then. You can walk 48 miles in 16 hours. Why do you live 48 miles from your job? I'd be willing to bet the vast majority of people don't live half of that distance. Maybe 10 miles.

The average commute for an American is 16 miles. If don't need to be 'willing to bet' on things you can just look up.

As to why you live so far from your job...there are a number of reasons for that to happen.
If only our dear friend had been forced to take more classes unrelated to his major, he would know how to access publicly available census data.
Last edited by Kubra on Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Atomic war is inevitable. It will destroy half of humanity: it is going to destroy immense human riches. It is very possible. The atomic war is going to provoke a true inferno on Earth. But it will not impede Communism.”
Comrade J. Posadas

The Republic of Fore
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby The Republic of Fore » Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:23 pm

Neu California wrote:
The Republic of Fore wrote:And that's their choice to do so. I have negative sympathy for them.

And I don't care what sympathy you have for them. You asked who lives fifty miles from their place of work and multiple people provided examples

Irrelevant examples that don't apply to the vast majority of cases. Exceptions don't disprove the rule. There's a former NFL player that's a neurosurgeon at Harvard's university hospital. Doesn't change that most athletes are morons.

Kubra
Post Marshal

Father Knows Best State

Postby Kubra » Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:24 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
I can understand not asking a med student to take, say, philosophy of history, because they will more than likely not need it for their job. But there are certain courses that probably, for what I’ve seen, should be mandatory. Teach people to write coherently, to spell (because yes, there are college level students who can’t spell to save their lives), for example. Basic biology and physics too. And yes, a semester of philosophy wouldn’t hurt.

Okay, but what if some people don't need to be taught to spell? Make people who need writing and spelling courses take them. Don't waste everyone else's time.
Riddle me this, batman: who in college does not need to be taught how to write?
Comrade J. Posadas

Imperial Joseon
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Imperial Joseon » Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:25 pm

Kubra wrote:Riddle me this, batman: who in college does not need to be taught how to write?

Not many college students know how to write, metaphorically speaking.

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Founded: Feb 10, 2008

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:25 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

Everyone has to be taught how to spell. Regardless of job, you should know how to spell. What a silly notion you have. The reason we can read you, nominally at least, is because you learned to both read, write and surprise surprise! Spell.
Slava Ukraini
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

Totenborg
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 23, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Totenborg » Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:26 pm

Totenborg wrote:The largest employer in my area is a factory that is located close to thirty miles outside of the main town. It's close to sixty miles from my house. It's anecdotal, but I'm betting it's not uncommon. I think that if you spent some time living in rural area, your perspective would rapidly change.

Yeah, you're talking from complete ignorance there if you genuinely believe that someone can't get stuck in a rural area. I'll try to help you understand, though. See, if you can't afford gas or a reliable vehicle to get to a job that's too far to walk, you can't afford to move away, either. So, yeah, you can get forced to live in a rural area. If you can't understand that, it's your problem.
Rabid anti-fascist.
Existential nihilist.
Lifer metalhead.
Unrepentant fan of birds.

Cisairse
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 17, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Cisairse » Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:26 pm

Katganistan wrote:
Cisairse wrote:
From a pragmatic point of view, no course should cost up to $30k.

Where is that course? Trump University?

Well, not anymore.
The details of the above post are subject to leftist infighting.

I officially endorse Fivey Fox for president of the United States.

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Founded: Antiquity

Postby Cannot think of a name » Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:28 pm

Kubra wrote:
The Republic of Fore wrote:Okay, but what if some people don't need to be taught to spell? Make people who need writing and spelling courses take them. Don't waste everyone else's time.
Riddle me this, batman: who in college does not need to be taught how to write?

A buddy of mine use to have a high paying job at Oracle overseeing engineers, had an English degree. He would joke that it was because he could actually communicate. It was only kind of a joke.
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

Kubra
Post Marshal

Father Knows Best State

Postby Kubra » Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:30 pm

Cannot think of a name wrote:
Kubra wrote: Riddle me this, batman: who in college does not need to be taught how to write?

A buddy of mine use to have a high paying job at Oracle overseeing engineers, had an English degree. He would joke that it was because he could actually communicate. It was only kind of a joke.
Oh shoot uh on second thought Fore's right, these guys don't really need any english education.
don't want em bringing down my market, you see.
Comrade J. Posadas

Jebslund
Minister

Founded: Sep 14, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Jebslund » Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:35 pm

The Republic of Fore wrote:And sure, they weren't able to know it would happen. But that doesn't change that It's their problem. No one held a gun to their head and made them go.

No, they just drilled it into them that the only way to make enough to provide for a family (or themselves) was to get a good job, which required getting a degree. And that if they chose the wrong degree, they were a failure. And that the right degree is the one that whoever's doing the most hiring at the time wants.

A firearm is not the only means of forcing someone to do something, nor are threats of physical violence.
Jebslund is a nation of kerbals ruled by Emperor Jebediah Kerman. We reject tyranny, believing that rights should be protected, though we also believe said rights end where the rights of others begin.
Shockingly, we *do* use NS stats, with the exception of lifespan.
Singular sapient: Jebslunder
Plural Sapient: Jebslunden
Singular/Plural nonsapient: Kermanic
Note: When a verb can logically only be done by the sapient using/piloting/holding the object in question, then the appropriate demonym for the number of sapients is used.

Capitalism, Socialism, and Communism are ECONOMIC SYSTEMS. Stop conflating them with political systems.

Imperial Joseon
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Imperial Joseon » Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:47 pm

Kubra wrote:Oh shoot uh on second thought Fore's right, these guys don't really need any english education.

Yeah, you can use Grammarly, and that solves your English problem. :lol:

Kubra
Post Marshal

Father Knows Best State

Postby Kubra » Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:48 pm

Imperial Joseon wrote:
Kubra wrote:Oh shoot uh on second thought Fore's right, these guys don't really need any english education.

grammarly don't give you style, and clarity often involves such.
n-not that they need it, of course.
Last edited by Kubra on Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Comrade J. Posadas

Imperial Joseon
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Imperial Joseon » Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:49 pm

Kubra wrote:
Imperial Joseon wrote:
grammarly don't give you style

It's not that effective, to be honest.