NATION

PASSWORD

Why the us should cut useless courses from college degrees.

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Founded: Feb 10, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:39 pm

The Republic of Fore wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
If your uni requires it, suck it up and do it. It didn’t add to my academic load or time of degree completion to take biology, physics and math.

I already did it. And I bet it. I needed 120 credits to graduate. 30 of those had nothing to do with my major. I could have saved an entire year. There's no reason to suck it up. It doesn't benefit me. People who want others to expand and explore can suck it up.

So this is ok because it doesn’t suit you but others can fuck off? No wonder we keep graduating illiterates, what with that mentality. Smh.
Slava Ukraini
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

Saiwania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Saiwania » Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:41 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:So this is ok because it doesn’t suit you but others can fuck off? No wonder we keep graduating illiterates, what with that mentality. Smh.

In the end, people primarily will only care about the money, and what will help them get to any end goals.
Sith Acolyte
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken!

The Republic of Fore
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 10, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby The Republic of Fore » Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:44 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
The Republic of Fore wrote:I already did it. And I bet it. I needed 120 credits to graduate. 30 of those had nothing to do with my major. I could have saved an entire year. There's no reason to suck it up. It doesn't benefit me. People who want others to expand and explore can suck it up.

So this is ok because it doesn’t suit you but others can fuck off? No wonder we keep graduating illiterates, what with that mentality. Smh.

It's okay because it doesn't suit a lot of students. Why do you care so much? How does it impact you if people aren't forced to take a class that they don't want to? Do you just really enjoy the idea of making people pretend to care long enough to pass a test? And sorry, but yes I am going to always work towards my best interest. Someone has to keep my benefit in mind. Might as well be me.
Last edited by The Republic of Fore on Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:47 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

It's okay because it doesn't suit a lot of students. Why do you care so much? How does it impact you if people aren't forced to take a class that they don't want to? Do you just really enjoy the idea of making people pretend to care long enough to pass a test? And sorry, but yes I am going to always work towards my best interest. Someone has to keep my benefit in mind. Might as well be me.

I care because I’d like to think that if my kids go to uni, their education is not a one track mind one. That their higher education is more well rounded. Why wouldn’t I care?
Slava Ukraini
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs

Saiwania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Saiwania » Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:51 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:I care because I’d like to think that if my kids go to uni, their education is not a one track mind one. That their higher education is more well rounded. Why wouldn’t I care?

Wouldn't you care more that they're making enough money for a stable living or better yet, more money than you and thus will be able to go farther than you got to? The benefit of not requiring being "well rounded" is that the education itself will take less time and cost less money to complete. Thus the student gets a better ROI if fewer courses are needed.
Last edited by Saiwania on Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Sith Acolyte
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken!

Kubra
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 15, 2006
Father Knows Best State

Postby Kubra » Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:51 pm

Daily reminder that engineering degrees are overrepresented in Right wing terrorist groups
Last edited by Kubra on Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Atomic war is inevitable. It will destroy half of humanity: it is going to destroy immense human riches. It is very possible. The atomic war is going to provoke a true inferno on Earth. But it will not impede Communism.”
Comrade J. Posadas

The Republic of Fore
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby The Republic of Fore » Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:32 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
The Republic of Fore wrote:It's okay because it doesn't suit a lot of students. Why do you care so much? How does it impact you if people aren't forced to take a class that they don't want to? Do you just really enjoy the idea of making people pretend to care long enough to pass a test? And sorry, but yes I am going to always work towards my best interest. Someone has to keep my benefit in mind. Might as well be me.

I care because I’d like to think that if my kids go to uni, their education is not a one track mind one. That their higher education is more well rounded. Why wouldn’t I care?

Then if that's what they want, they can chose to take a more well rounded education. Gee, what a concept. It's almost like courses don't have to be mandatory to be offered. Every single university in the US offers optional side courses.
Last edited by The Republic of Fore on Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

The Republic of Fore
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby The Republic of Fore » Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:39 pm

Saiwania wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:I care because I’d like to think that if my kids go to uni, their education is not a one track mind one. That their higher education is more well rounded. Why wouldn’t I care?

Wouldn't you care more that they're making enough money for a stable living or better yet, more money than you and thus will be able to go farther than you got to? The benefit of not requiring being "well rounded" is that the education itself will take less time and cost less money to complete. Thus the student gets a better ROI if fewer courses are needed.

Don't you understand? It's evil to want to make money! You should want an education for the purpose of learning useless facts you'll forget in a month anyway!

The Republic of Fore
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby The Republic of Fore » Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:41 pm

Kubra wrote:Daily reminder that engineering degrees are overrepresented in Right wing terrorist groups

Daily reminder that correlation doesn't equal causation. The number of women on the Harvard law review correlates to the amount of healthy bees in the United States.
Last edited by The Republic of Fore on Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:42 pm

Saiwania wrote:

Don't you understand? It's evil to want to make money! You should want an education for the purpose of learning useless facts you'll forget in a month anyway!

Nice strawman, bub. No one’s said it’s bad to make money but hey, if thinking that gives more credence to your side, knock yourself out.

This is precisely why we need certain classes, like reading comprehension. ^
Slava Ukraini

The Republic of Fore
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby The Republic of Fore » Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:47 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
The Republic of Fore wrote:Don't you understand? It's evil to want to make money! You should want an education for the purpose of learning useless facts you'll forget in a month anyway!

Nice strawman, bub. No one’s said it’s bad to make money but hey, if thinking that gives more credence to your side, knock yourself out.

This is precisely why we need certain classes, like reading comprehension. ^

Can learning how to understand hyperbole and when someone is telling a joke become a class? That might actually be pretty useful these days.

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ethel mermania » Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:47 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

Because a college education implies more than a vocational degree.
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

The Republic of Fore
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby The Republic of Fore » Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:50 pm

Ethel mermania wrote:
The Republic of Fore wrote:It's okay because it doesn't suit a lot of students. Why do you care so much? How does it impact you if people aren't forced to take a class that they don't want to? Do you just really enjoy the idea of making people pretend to care long enough to pass a test? And sorry, but yes I am going to always work towards my best interest. Someone has to keep my benefit in mind. Might as well be me.

Because a college education implies more than a vocational degree.

Yeah, that you can memorize facts long enough to pass a test. Woopity-do dah.

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 09, 2014

Postby Luminesa » Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:56 pm

Rojava Free State wrote:Multicultural children's literature. Big dumb my guy. I had to take that shit and a multicultural studies class in college and they fucking sucked. Had some older white lady telling us about the African roots of black American culture (I always felt black American culture was far more similar to white American culture than to Africa but whatever) and bringing up other accidentally stereotypical shit too, like why Muslim women in the near East don't dye their hair because they wear hijabs (not all Muslim women wear those btw and Arab women actually dye their hair alot) and why white Americans are complicit in racism (pretty sure most white folks aren't racists but yeah, why don't you blame your own race for that while I defend them).

That was Multicultural studies. Multicultural children's lit was all this stuff about African children and shit. Imagine goodnight moon but it's some Ugandan child and he's hunting lions and whatever the hell else he does (this was an actual story btw although to be serious it had nothing to do with good night moon). Not only were we being forced to read literature that came from cultures no one even heard of, but they were literally baby books. Like come on.

I'm totally for cutting any classes related to social justice. Most of them are absolutely meaningless. Your future jobs wants to see your qualifications and knowing alot about theories of power and oppression doesn't make you look smart. It does quite the opposite

And before anyone says "but people gotta learn tolerance," I just wanna say right now that a college class cannot teach you to not be a racist. Either you aren't one like most people or you are one and college won't stop that. I'm pretty sure that without these multicultural clssses, 90% of people could still treat a person of a different race respectfully and not start screaming racial slurs at them

I took Children's Lit as part of my major (Elementary Education), the teacher in my class was ALSO awful, but for different reasons. She had stuff happening in her life, but the class was disorganized to heck and crammed full of too many assignments. That being said, I enjoyed reading books from other cultures (we had to pick books from different categories, and one of them was multicultural lit). Where the Mountain Meets the Moon, for example, is a gorgeous novel about a Chinese girl going on a journey to seek the Old Man of the Moon, who can answer any question. Reading stories involving other cultures is a good way to come to understand their values, the way they see life, and how they tell stories. It's good for my major, especially when the point of education is to expand the experiences of children in an oftentimes very limited setting. I don't think the class should be cut, but your class and mine could have been better organized for a variety of stories and for more discussion.
Catholic, pro-life, and proud of it. I prefer my debates on religion, politics, and sports with some coffee and a little Aquinas and G.K. CHESTERTON here and there. :3
Unofficial #1 fan of the Who Dat Nation.
"I'm just a singer of simple songs, I'm not a real political man. I watch CNN, but I'm not sure I can tell you the difference in Iraq and Iran. But I know Jesus, and I talk to God, and I remember this from when I was young:
faith, hope and love are some good things He gave us...
and the greatest is love."
-Alan Jackson
Help the Ukrainian people, here's some sources!
Help bring home First Nation girls! Now with more ways to help!
Jesus loves all of His children in Eastern Europe - pray for peace.
Pray for Ukraine, Wear Sunflowers In Your Hair

United Dependencies
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 22, 2007

Postby United Dependencies » Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:57 pm

The Republic of Fore wrote:Okay, and what if I have no desire to do that? I have no desire to be well rounded. Will society collapse and die if I don't study useless subjects?

Then don't?

I'm not saying that every citizen has to go get a college education. However, I think it is good that colleges attempt to expose their students to areas of study beyond what the student wants to major in.
Alien Space Bats wrote:2012: The Year We Lost Contact (with Reality).

Cannot think of a name wrote:
Obamacult wrote:Maybe there is an economically sound and rational reason why there are no longer high paying jobs for qualified accountants, assembly line workers, glass blowers, blacksmiths, tanners, etc.

Maybe dragons took their jobs. Maybe unicorns only hid their jobs because unicorns are dicks. Maybe 'jobs' is only an illusion created by a drug addled infant pachyderm. Fuck dude, if we're in 'maybe' land, don't hold back.

This is Nationstates we're here to help

Are you a native or resident of North Carolina?

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Postby Luminesa » Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:57 pm

Kubra wrote:Daily reminder that engineering degrees are overrepresented in Right wing terrorist groups

Honestly, that's probably because engineering is such a highly-sought path, and so many people are taking it. Not because terrorists go into school saying, "Gee, Imma be an engineer!"
Catholic, pro-life, and proud of it. I prefer my debates on religion, politics, and sports with some coffee and a little Aquinas and G.K. CHESTERTON here and there. :3
"I'm just a singer of simple songs, I'm not a real political man. I watch CNN, but I'm not sure I can tell you the difference in Iraq and Iran. But I know Jesus, and I talk to God, and I remember this from when I was young:
-Alan Jackson

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:58 pm

United Dependencies wrote:
The Republic of Fore wrote:Okay, and what if I have no desire to do that? I have no desire to be well rounded. Will society collapse and die if I don't study useless subjects?

Then don't?

I'm not saying that every citizen has to go get a college education. However, I think it is good that colleges attempt to expose their students to areas of study beyond what the student wants to major in.

Precisely.
Slava Ukraini

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Postby Luminesa » Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:59 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
The Republic of Fore wrote:Who do you know that is only capable of learning things by studying them in college? We have this amazing invention called the internet. You can learn a lot on it.

Like I said, sure, only take courses related to your major and that’s it. There are also plenty of subjects that, with the guidance of a professor, are best learned but ok.

My curriculum in art history required I take biology, physics and math. Not sure what those classes had to do with my major but I took them. And guess what? They may not have been my favorite but I did learn in them. A lot.

I'll never teach college biology, but I took it twice (1001 and 1002), and I definitely came to appreciate it more. There's nothing wrong with being a well-rounded individual, and honestly we should push for more kids in higher AND lower grades to be well-rounded in a variety of topics.
-Alan Jackson

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ethel mermania » Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:59 pm

Ethel mermania wrote:Because a college education implies more than a vocational degree.

Yeah, that you can memorize facts long enough to pass a test. Woopity-do dah.

Well if I expect you to memorize facts to pass an in major subjecf test, why wouldnt I expect you to be able to memorize facts in a secondary subject's test?
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:02 pm

Luminesa wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Like I said, sure, only take courses related to your major and that’s it. There are also plenty of subjects that, with the guidance of a professor, are best learned but ok.

My curriculum in art history required I take biology, physics and math. Not sure what those classes had to do with my major but I took them. And guess what? They may not have been my favorite but I did learn in them. A lot.

I'll never teach college biology, but I took it twice (1001 and 1002), and I definitely came to appreciate it more. There's nothing wrong with being a well-rounded individual, and honestly we should push for more kids in higher AND lower grades to be well-rounded in a variety of topics.

Oh, absolutely. Which is why this opposition is starting look more like a temper tantrum than a valid reason to oppose such curriculum. But eh.
Slava Ukraini

Saiwania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Saiwania » Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:10 pm

Luminesa wrote:

Honestly, that's probably because engineering is such a highly-sought path, and so many people are taking it. Not because terrorists go into school saying, "Gee, Imma be an engineer!"

It is highly sought after because people can make a lot of money being an Engineer than would otherwise be the case. Liberals can insist that college should be more learning how to learn, but at the end of the day- the single biggest factor impacting someone's lifestyle is how much they can get in income.
Last edited by Saiwania on Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sith Acolyte

Krasny-Volny
Minister

Founded: Nov 20, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Krasny-Volny » Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:32 pm

If the point of obtaining a college degree is for the sole purpose of furthering one’s general education instead of obtaining future employment in one’s preferred field of study, why are we selling so many people on the idea that a college degree is necessary for a career?
Krastecexport. Cheap armaments for the budget minded, sold with discretion.

Cekoviu
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Cekoviu » Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:37 pm

Krasny-Volny wrote:If the point of obtaining a college degree is for the sole purpose of furthering one’s general education instead of obtaining future employment in one’s preferred field of study, why are we selling so many people on the idea that a college degree is necessary for a career?

Those aren't mutually exclusive nor binary. Want to try again?
pro: women's rights
anti: men's rights

Krasny-Volny
Minister

Founded: Nov 20, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Krasny-Volny » Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:43 pm

Cekoviu wrote:
Krasny-Volny wrote:If the point of obtaining a college degree is for the sole purpose of furthering one’s general education instead of obtaining future employment in one’s preferred field of study, why are we selling so many people on the idea that a college degree is necessary for a career?

Those aren't mutually exclusive nor binary. Want to try again?

I’m not sure I understand this answer.

Why are college degrees necessary in so many fields past a certain level if the point of college is not to prepare one for that particular career? Or is it?
Krastecexport. Cheap armaments for the budget minded, sold with discretion.

Cekoviu
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Cekoviu » Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:46 pm

Krasny-Volny wrote:
Cekoviu wrote:Those aren't mutually exclusive nor binary. Want to try again?

I’m not sure I understand this answer.

Why are college degrees necessary in so many fields past a certain level if the point of college is not to prepare one for that particular career? Or is it?

It is perfectly possible to both further general education and prepare students for their career, as is currently done. It's not one or the other.
pro: women's rights
anti: men's rights

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General