NATION

PASSWORD

Why the us should cut useless courses from college degrees.

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Imperial Joseon
Minister

Founded: Dec 13, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Imperial Joseon » Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:21 pm

Valrifell wrote:
Chernoslavia wrote:
Do you ever think about the dumb shit you're about to say before you say them? Serious question. Also, children?

Children, people, potato potato (but pronounced differently).

Po-tah-to. :)
Champions - Sporting World Cup 10 (U-18),

Valrifell
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:24 pm

Imperial Joseon wrote:
Valrifell wrote:

I accept this solution.
HAVING AN ALL CAPS SIG MAKES ME FEEL SMART

Imperial Joseon
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Imperial Joseon » Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:25 pm

Valrifell wrote:
Imperial Joseon wrote:

I accept this solution.

Right on.

Cekoviu
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Cekoviu » Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:36 pm

Imperial Joseon wrote:
Valrifell wrote:

Kart-off-el.
pro: women's rights
anti: men's rights

Albennia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Feb 16, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Albennia » Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:41 pm

Reorganisieren Reichregierung wrote:A college degree is also a status symbol, one that says you are "edumacated" and not some simpleton. Liberals are oversocialized creatures, and as such they place a premium on status symbols. This is not something they will admit to or even realize. They tell you that because they sincerely believe that it's true and it partly is - not going to college is social suicide in social circles dominated by liberals.

As for humanities, that's to be expected. Academia is a stronghold of liberals and as they believe they are right, they will teach political dogmas as if they are objective truth.

Liberals this liberals that liberals the other

Proof

Cekoviu
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Cekoviu » Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:46 pm

Albennia wrote:
Reorganisieren Reichregierung wrote:A college degree is also a status symbol, one that says you are "edumacated" and not some simpleton. Liberals are oversocialized creatures, and as such they place a premium on status symbols. This is not something they will admit to or even realize. They tell you that because they sincerely believe that it's true and it partly is - not going to college is social suicide in social circles dominated by liberals.

As for humanities, that's to be expected. Academia is a stronghold of liberals and as they believe they are right, they will teach political dogmas as if they are objective truth.

Proof

Excellent work taking this down! This is going straight into my effortpost folder!
pro: women's rights
anti: men's rights

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 06, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:51 pm

Valrifell wrote:Also teaching children pure technical skills is just silly, and services to only teach them to be mindless industrial drones. So I guess that's a win for the capitalists, but I thought we preferred our population with deep critical thinking skills, social awareness, and empathetic nature. It's kinda hard to teach all of those through fucking tax forms.

I told you before men, we might be into this smart shit but a lot of people aint. You'll never change the lumpenproleteriat
Rojava Free State wrote:Listen yall. I'm only gonna say it once but I want you to remember it. This ain't a world fit for good men. It seems like you gotta be monstrous just to make it. Gotta have a little bit of darkness within you just to survive. You gotta stoop low everyday it seems like. Stoop all the way down to the devil in these times. And then one day you look in the mirror and you realize that you ain't you anymore. You're just another monster, and thanks to your actions, someone else will eventually become as warped and twisted as you. Never forget that the best of us are just the best of a bad lot. Being at the top of a pile of feces doesn't make you anything but shit like the rest. Never forget that.

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:56 pm

Cisairse wrote:
United Muscovite Nations wrote:Tbh you're a fool if you think automation will benefit anyone but the ruling class. Communism must come before automation.

It almost certainly will come after. The current social order won't survive ubiquitous unemployment. Nations can continue slapping larger and larger band-aids on the problem, but eventually machines will have taken enough people's bread away that it won't be feasible to keep them down on the street anymore.

EDIT:
I should mention that I believe UBI will actually fundamentally solve this problem.

Class war now
Rojava Free State wrote:Listen yall. I'm only gonna say it once but I want you to remember it. This ain't a world fit for good men. It seems like you gotta be monstrous just to make it. Gotta have a little bit of darkness within you just to survive. You gotta stoop low everyday it seems like. Stoop all the way down to the devil in these times. And then one day you look in the mirror and you realize that you ain't you anymore. You're just another monster, and thanks to your actions, someone else will eventually become as warped and twisted as you. Never forget that the best of us are just the best of a bad lot. Being at the top of a pile of feces doesn't make you anything but shit like the rest. Never forget that.

Valrifell
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:57 pm

Rojava Free State wrote:
Valrifell wrote:Also teaching children pure technical skills is just silly, and services to only teach them to be mindless industrial drones. So I guess that's a win for the capitalists, but I thought we preferred our population with deep critical thinking skills, social awareness, and empathetic nature. It's kinda hard to teach all of those through fucking tax forms.

I told you before men, we might be into this smart shit but a lot of people aint. You'll never change the lumpenproleteriat

Untrue and self-aggrandizing.
HAVING AN ALL CAPS SIG MAKES ME FEEL SMART

Imperial Joseon
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Imperial Joseon » Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:59 pm

Cekoviu wrote:
Imperial Joseon wrote:

Kart-off-el.

;)

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:00 pm

Valrifell wrote:
Rojava Free State wrote:

Yes it is true. You won't convince a guy who does nothing but snort coke and shoot dice that the class war must happen now

Trollzyn the Infinite
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 22, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Trollzyn the Infinite » Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:08 pm

Rojava Free State wrote:Multicultural children's literature. Big dumb my guy. I had to take that shit and a multicultural studies class in college and they fucking sucked. Had some older white lady telling us about the African roots of black American culture (I always felt black American culture was far more similar to white American culture than to Africa but whatever) and bringing up other accidentally stereotypical shit too, like why Muslim women in the near East don't dye their hair because they wear hijabs (not all Muslim women wear those btw and Arab women actually dye their hair alot) and why white Americans are complicit in racism (pretty sure most white folks aren't racists but yeah, why don't you blame your own race for that while I defend them).

That was Multicultural studies. Multicultural children's lit was all this stuff about African children and shit. Imagine goodnight moon but it's some Ugandan child and he's hunting lions and whatever the hell else he does (this was an actual story btw although to be serious it had nothing to do with good night moon). Not only were we being forced to read literature that came from cultures no one even heard of, but they were literally baby books. Like come on.

I'm totally for cutting any classes related to social justice. Most of them are absolutely meaningless. Your future jobs wants to see your qualifications and knowing alot about theories of power and oppression doesn't make you look smart. It does quite the opposite

And before anyone says "but people gotta learn tolerance," I just wanna say right now that a college class cannot teach you to not be a racist. Either you aren't one like most people or you are one and college won't stop that. I'm pretty sure that without these multicultural clssses, 90% of people could still treat a person of a different race respectfully and not start screaming racial slurs at them

Y I K E S
☆ American Patriot ☆ Civic Nationalist ☆ Rocker & Metalhead ☆ Heretical Christian ☆
"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right."

Reminder that Donald J. Trump is officially a traitor to the United States of America as of January 6th, 2021
The Paradox of Tolerance
永远不会忘记1989年6月4日天安门广场大屠杀
Ես Արցախի կողքին եմ
Wanted Fugitive of the Chinese Communist Party
Unapologetic stan for Lana Beniko - #1 Sith Waifu

Dagnia
Senator

Founded: Jul 27, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Dagnia » Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:09 pm

I kind of agree. I could have had my degree in two years instead of four if I didn't have to take bullshit like 12th century poetry. If I have to take those, then the English Literature majors should have to take some calculus or physics classes. The state of math education in the US is embarrassing from grade school to university anyway. Even at my Upstate New York college which still has some standards, the math course required for non-STEM majors is barely even classifiable as math (yet they still needed me to tutor them).
I find the idea that one should have to take courses way outside your field to be "well rounded" insulting. I did a semester of foreign study and when talking about university in our respective countries with some students from Europe, one (from Belgium if I remember correctly) made a confused face and said that's what high school is for. Also it implies I'm a boring person who would never leave my computer if I didn't have some aging hippie lecturing on the differences between Foucault and Derrida. The things unrelated to my degree that I was interested in anyway are things I've learned about before, during, and after my college education. All the English literature courses in the world did not make me interested in Beowulf, and if there is someone who is truly that boring that they only ever care about one subject going in, not much is going to change that, you're just fleecing them.
That said, the humanities are not totally useless (though in their current form, they often look that way). Without a firm definition of intelligence, something that belongs to the field of philosophy, we'll never get beyond the most rudimentary AI.
United Muscovite Nations wrote:The humanities are useful when you're interested in not being a complete dumbass. The idea that education should be purely about real-world application is a cancer upon education. Imo we'd be better off forcing STEM into trade schools where it belongs, though it won't matter, in thirty years, STEM majors will be replaced by computers.

Then who programs/maintains/builds new applications for the computers? Statements like these are a sign of a complete dumbass who has no clue what any of us do. Are you one of those people who believes mechanical engineers will be replaced by machines simply because... machines or something? We are not anywhere near a point yet where a computer itself can solve a problem by itself. A human still has to write the algorithm to solve the problem, and regardless of whatever trash tech publications say about it, the kind of technology that reproduces, invents, maintains, and improves upon itself is unlikely to happen in any of our lifetimes, as it actually requires imagination, something no one knows where to begin to engineer or program.
The fact that you don't have even the smallest grasp of this is not a sign of the humanities needing to be shut down (I don't believe that, perhaps purge some of the post-modernists and identity-obsessed people, but not shut down) but how badly they have failed their own defenders. We could get closer to that self-writing code or self-engineering machine with the help of the humanities because surprisingly enough, answers to questions like the definition of intelligence, imagination, and life can steer us in the right direction to developing it. This is also why the STEM fields belong in a liberal arts institution along side philosophy and other fields. Unfortunately, they're more interested in navel gazing, who's most oppressed, how many genders can we invent, and getting punked by the Grievance studies crew. The real cancer on academia is the pseudoscience coming out of the humanities. Without identity-obsessed people and postmodernists, there wouldn't be the perception that humanities are useless and that it would be better to cut them out in favor of entirely practical education.
Valrifell wrote:An engineer wrote this.

And? Tell me about all those engineering courses you took, Mr. Well-rounded.
Wait an hour, and it will be now again

Trollzyn the Infinite
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Trollzyn the Infinite » Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:10 pm

Rojava Free State wrote:
Valrifell wrote:

Yes it is true. You won't convince a guy who does nothing but snort coke and shoot dice that the class war must happen now

Never mind that class war shouldn't happen to begin with.
☆ American Patriot ☆ Civic Nationalist ☆ Rocker & Metalhead ☆ Heretical Christian ☆
"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right."

Reminder that Donald J. Trump is officially a traitor to the United States of America as of January 6th, 2021
The Paradox of Tolerance
永远不会忘记1989年6月4日天安门广场大屠杀
Ես Արցախի կողքին եմ

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:16 pm

Trollzyn the Infinite wrote:
Rojava Free State wrote:

Either the upper class has to do more to help the poor and to help the nation they're from or there will be a conflict. There will be a conflict if the government keeps using violence and intimidation against peaceful protesters on our soil

The point isn't even whether there must be a class war. Whether you want peaceful reform or violent revolution, you won't convince a drug dealer in the hood to get onboard with it

Unstoppable Empire of Doom
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 18, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Unstoppable Empire of Doom » Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:20 pm

I am the very model of a modern Major-General!
Whoever said "you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink" has clearly never drown a horse.

Albennia
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Albennia » Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:21 pm

Cekoviu wrote:
Albennia wrote:

Proof

Excellent work taking this down! This is going straight into my effortpost folder!

You don't need to put any effort into calling a load of nonsense a load of nonsense. Which is exactly what that is.

Trollzyn the Infinite
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Trollzyn the Infinite » Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:22 pm

Rojava Free State wrote:

Either the upper class has to do more to help the poor and to help the nation they're from or there will be a conflict. There will be a conflict if the government keeps using violence and intimidation against peaceful protesters on our soil

The point isn't even whether there must be a class war. Whether you want peaceful reform or violent revolution, you won't convince a drug dealer in the hood to get onboard with it

No, no. I agree completely. The rich and powerful are only going to end up shafting themselves if they keep it up. It seems the wealthy elite failed to learn from the October Revolution or the French Revolution. I haven't, which is why I very much oppose the violent revolution route because I know exactly where that leads and I don't want to see my country reduced to such a horrible state. Those presently in office/up for office need to shape up and soon or losing elections will soon be the least of their worries.

But yeah, some random dude selling weed to gangbangers in the ghetto doesn't give a shit. He's a lowlife.

The Paradox of Tolerance
永远不会忘记1989年6月4日天安门广场大屠杀
Ես Արցախի կողքին եմ

Trollzyn the Infinite
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Trollzyn the Infinite » Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:23 pm

Albennia wrote:
Cekoviu wrote:Excellent work taking this down! This is going straight into my effortpost folder!

You don't need to put any effort into calling a load of nonsense a load of nonsense. Which is exactly what that is.

To be fair, a Liberal Arts degree is fucking useless.

The Paradox of Tolerance
永远不会忘记1989年6月4日天安门广场大屠杀
Ես Արցախի կողքին եմ

Albennia
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Albennia » Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:27 pm

Albennia wrote:You don't need to put any effort into calling a load of nonsense a load of nonsense. Which is exactly what that is.

You should read this post

Luziyca
Post Czar

Founded: Nov 13, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Luziyca » Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:27 pm

One man's useless course is another's useful course.
|||The Kingdom of Rwizikuru|||
Your feeble attempts to change the very nature of how time itself has been organized by mankind shall fall on barren ground and bear no fruit
WikiFacebookKylaris: the best region for eight years runningAbout meYouTubePolitical compass

The Anarchical World Order
Lobbyist

Founded: Dec 14, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby The Anarchical World Order » Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:30 pm

I could get behind wider technical education. Society could also fund elite public schools for hyper intelligent children while allowing the others to take junior college courses while in high school without limitation or school permission. Homework should be banned to give students time to relax, which is important for mental health. Philosophy should be a course available to all high school students, but social justice related coursework should be cut.

Trollzyn the Infinite
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Trollzyn the Infinite » Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:31 pm

Albennia wrote:

You should read this post

Since when do they encompass so much? Because I could've sworn they didn't. Some of those I'm pretty sure fall under other categories as well.

And considering most of those are neither "Liberal" nor "Arts", why is it labelled as such? It's a misnomer.

The Paradox of Tolerance
永远不会忘记1989年6月4日天安门广场大屠杀
Ես Արցախի կողքին եմ

Czechostan
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 23, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Czechostan » Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:34 pm

Dagnia wrote:If I have to take those, then the English Literature majors should have to take some calculus or physics classes. The state of math education in the US is embarrassing from grade school to university anyway. Even at my Upstate New York college which still has some standards, the math course required for non-STEM majors is barely even classifiable as math (yet they still needed me to tutor them). [...] And? Tell me about all those engineering courses you took, Mr. Well-rounded.

I major in a philosophy, I attend a liberal arts school, and I wish my education was more well-rounded. I would have loved an opportunity to take an engineering course if one was available. Looking back on it, I wish I would have taken physics courses. In fact, I've found I've understood my major better by taking courses outside my discipline, because I am able to find the boundaries of it and see where it intersects with other disciplines, plus be exposed to different ways of thinking.

I've talked to STEM people who agree. They take science courses, but they don't get an opportunity to take English courses, so they don't know how to write good research papers, and their papers are riddled with grammatical errors or have no flow. They don't get to take history of philosophy courses, so they don't get a chance to learn about the history of science and its foundations. Etc.

If you go into a course with the mindset "I am a superior STEM major; the humanities are beneath me," or "I'm a humanities major; who needs math, when I have a calculator?" it's a self-fulfilling prophecy that you won't find anything of value. If you go into a course with a willingness to learn, or you're looking for intersections with your own major, then you might find some merit going outside your discipline. Sure, sometimes the course outside you happen to take is shitty. You get the philosophy professor who claims science is inherently flawed or the physics professor who claims science has solved all the problems of philosophy already. But that's no reason to dismiss taking courses outside your discipline.

Or you can stick to one discipline like some people do: the academic equivalent of a liberal refusing to talk to anyone but liberals/conservatives refusing to talk to anyone but conservatives. The whole "our discipline is superior, your discipline is worthless" thing just annoys me so much, and that's largely because people refuse to step outside of their comfort zone and face having to think another way.

Czechostan
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 23, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Czechostan » Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:39 pm

Since when do they encompass so much? Because I could've sworn they didn't. Some of those I'm pretty sure fall under other categories as well.

And considering most of those are neither "Liberal" nor "Arts", why is it labelled as such? It's a misnomer.

"Liberal arts" just means the skills that were essential for a free person to know.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberal_arts_education

It typically just means a broad education in a variety of subjects, with a concentration in a specific field.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General