NATION

PASSWORD

2020 US General Election Thread IV: The Battle Begins

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Who do you think will win South Carolina?

Sanders
59%
Warren
No votes
Biden
39%
Buttigieg
No votes
Klobuchar
2%
Steyer
No votes

Total votes : 46

Ism
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 14, 2011
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Ism » Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:19 pm

The East Marches II wrote:
The Lone Alliance wrote:Oh it gets better now people are saying that if Bloomberg doesn't get Hillary he should get Romney.... so according to these people the miracle way to defeat the 2020 Republican party would be to simply become the 2012 Republican party. :roll:

Sad that so many of the anti-Trump branch of the Republican party have decided to try and hijack the Democratic party.

Am I alive right now?

Now now TEM, you're not in hell until they win.

Imperial Joseon
Minister

Founded: Dec 13, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Imperial Joseon » Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:10 am

Ism wrote:
The East Marches II wrote:
Am I alive right now?

Now now TEM, you're not in hell until they win.

Or purgatory.
Champions - Sporting World Cup 10 (U-18),

The Sherpa Empire
Minister

Founded: Jan 15, 2018
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Sherpa Empire » Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:14 am

Arlenton wrote:Anyone else think Warren is running for the VP spot?

No.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།
Following new legislation in The Sherpa Empire, life is short but human kindness is endless.
Alternate IC names: Sherpaland, Pharak

Imperial Joseon
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Imperial Joseon » Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:19 am

The Sherpa Empire wrote:
Arlenton wrote:Anyone else think Warren is running for the VP spot?

No.

Just a senator, in my opinion.

Cisairse
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 17, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Cisairse » Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:24 am

LRON wrote:
The Lone Alliance wrote:Oh it gets better now people are saying that if Bloomberg doesn't get Hillary he should get Romney.... so according to these people the miracle way to defeat the 2020 Republican party would be to simply become the 2012 Republican party. :roll:

Sad that so many of the anti-Trump branch of the Republican party have decided to try and hijack the Democratic party.

Why are you upset? I thought Americans long bemoaned their two party system, perhaps you obtain a three or four party system now. I think it is quite evident at this time that the Democrats will split after the Trump fiasco is over, whether it be through his defeat or reelection. The Republicans will probably hold on a bit longer but even then you can already see the coming divide and rupture. Isn't this the future American reformists wanted? Multiple parties, more voices, more diverse political opinions? Well, here you have it!

The current system of party being the primary decider of policy alignment is new. From roughly President Eisenhower through President Carter, both parties had liberal, moderate, and conservative wings. The current party system has mostly aligned liberals in the Democratic Party, conservatives in the Republican Party, and moderates in either one, but this is a recent phenomena characterized by the Sixth Party System.

What we're seeing in the Democratic Party is the results of 2016 demonstrating that the 6th's playbook doesn't work any more. If the reaction required to regain power is to abandon ideological conformity and the New Democrat paradigm, then they'll eventually end up there.

This isn't a breakdown of the 2-party system. This is just a realignment of the two parties, which has happened a number of times already.
The details of the above post are subject to leftist infighting.

I officially endorse Fivey Fox for president of the United States.

Cisairse
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 17, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Cisairse » Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:29 am

New York Times: Have Zombies Eaten Bloomberg’s and Buttigieg’s Brains?

For those of you who can't read it, the article details two "zombie ideas" that they say should disqualify the centrist candidates from winning the nomination unless they disavow them: Bloomberg's embrace of a debunked racist conspiracy theory which claims that anti-discrimination laws caused the great recession, and Buttigieg's obsession with the federal deficit.
Last edited by Cisairse on Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
The details of the above post are subject to leftist infighting.

I officially endorse Fivey Fox for president of the United States.

The Sherpa Empire
Minister

Founded: Jan 15, 2018
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Sherpa Empire » Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:38 am

Cisairse wrote:New York Times: Have Zombies Eaten Bloomberg’s and Buttigieg’s Brains?

For those of you who can't read it, the article details two "zombie ideas" that they say should disqualify the centrist candidates from winning the nomination unless they disavow them: Bloomberg's embrace of a debunked racist conspiracy theory which claims that anti-discrimination laws caused the great recession, and Buttigieg's obsession with the federal deficit.

Bloomberg's racial baggage is really disturbing. I'm hoping once the other candidates get a shot at him in the next debate, it will take him down a peg.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།
Following new legislation in The Sherpa Empire, life is short but human kindness is endless.
Alternate IC names: Sherpaland, Pharak

The East Marches II
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 11, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby The East Marches II » Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:50 am

Cisairse wrote:New York Times: Have Zombies Eaten Bloomberg’s and Buttigieg’s Brains?

Honestly if Paul Krugman thinks something is a bad idea, it's generally good :^)

His article may have made me supporters of both :^)))

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 04, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:37 am

At the same time that Bloomberg is being called out on his housing bubble zombie, Pete Buttigieg is facing justified criticism for buying into another zombie idea — the obsession with government debt. That obsession did much to hobble recovery from the financial crisis.

Krugman dreaming of what could have been, so sad
I report offenses if and only if they are crimes.
No footwear industry: citizens cannot afford new shoes.
High rate of Nobel prizes and other academic achievements.

Sougra
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 20, 2018
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Sougra » Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:07 am

Ok, so maybe I've been left out of the loop here, but why is having a heavy focus on the national debt a seemingly bad thing? I understand the whole problem with it being used to justify cutting social services and things that are beneficial to people, which is definitely a problem that needs to be acknowledged. However, I feel like there's more than just that and I've missed the memo quite significantly.
"Nobody here on NSG is sane, including me."

Just in case, often when I discuss something, it's under the pretense of the Socratic Method or the devil's advocate, so just know that I don't always advocate for what I'm saying. Thank you.

Also, I have a habit of editing posts soon after they're made to correct minor errors. Please be aware of that.

The Greater Ohio Valley
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 19, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Greater Ohio Valley » Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:12 am

Which means Bloomberg buys into a very Southern-centric conspiracy, which isn’t even remotely good in the slightest.
Occasionally the Neo-American States
"Choke on the ashes of your hate."
- Free speech
- Weapons rights
- Democracy
- LGBTQ+ rights
- Racial equality
- Gender/sexual equality
- Voting rights
- Universal healthcare
- Workers rights
- Drug decriminalization
- Cannabis legalization
- Due process
- Rehabilitative justice
- Religious freedom
- Choice
- Environmental protections
- Secularism
ANTI
- Fascism/Nazism
- Conservatism
- Nationalism
- Authoritarianism/Totalitarianism
- Traditionalism
- Ethnic/racial supremacy
- Racism
- Sexism
- Transphobia
- Homophobia
- Religious extremism
- Laissez-faire capitalism
- Warmongering
- Accelerationism
- Isolationism
- Theocracy
- Anti-intellectualism
- Climate change denialism

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Founded: May 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:14 am

Sougra wrote:

Ok, so maybe I've been left out of the loop here, but why is having a heavy focus on the national debt a seemingly bad thing? I understand the whole problem with it being used to justify cutting social services and things that are beneficial to people, which is definitely a problem that needs to be acknowledged. However, I feel like there's more than just that and I've missed the memo quite significantly.

Idk, I don't get it. He'd be a one-term president, but the greatest president in American history would be the one who dealt with the national debt by getting rid of medicare, Medicaid, social security, food stamps, etc.
Join the rejected realms and never fear rejection again
NSG virtual happy hour this Saturday: join us on zoom, what could possibly go wrong?
“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.” - Thomas Jefferson
“Silent acquiescence in the face of tyranny is no better than outright agreement." - C.J. Redwine
“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." - Jeff Cooper

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:15 am

The Greater Ohio Valley wrote:

Which means Bloomberg buys into a very Southern-centric conspiracy, which isn’t even remotely good in the slightest.

As rubbish as the conspiracy theory is, forcing anybody to lend money to somebody that they don't want to lend it to is wrong.
NSG virtual happy hour this Saturday: join us on zoom, what could possibly go wrong?
“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.” - Thomas Jefferson
“Silent acquiescence in the face of tyranny is no better than outright agreement." - C.J. Redwine
“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." - Jeff Cooper

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:18 am

Sougra wrote:

Krugman loves debt. Here I'll quote a bit:

At this point, however, the debt obsession has been thoroughly debunked by both economic research and experience. We live in a world awash in private savings looking for someplace to go, with investors willing to lend money to governments at incredibly low interest rates. It’s actually irresponsible not to put this money to work investing in the future, both by building physical infrastructure and through programs that help children develop their potential.

Now, the Trump administration is doing it wrong — borrowing large sums, but squandering the money on tax cuts for corporations and the wealthy. But even bad deficit spending boosts the economy to some extent, and it is the reason America is still growing reasonably fast while Europe, still in the grip of austerity ideology, is stagnating.

I mostly agree with him, except I'd say that tax cuts are a legitimate way to spend deficit money.

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:20 am

Greater vakolicci haven wrote:
The Greater Ohio Valley wrote:Which means Bloomberg buys into a very Southern-centric conspiracy, which isn’t even remotely good in the slightest.

As rubbish as the conspiracy theory is, forcing anybody to lend money to somebody that they don't want to lend it to is wrong.

Be that as it may, it is also wrong to treat that subprime debt as solid debt and build financial securities on the back of it.
It wasn't the government's wrong (as you see it) which caused a bubble and collapse. It was bank policy.

Sougra
Diplomat

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Sougra » Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:21 am

Sougra wrote:Ok, so maybe I've been left out of the loop here, but why is having a heavy focus on the national debt a seemingly bad thing? I understand the whole problem with it being used to justify cutting social services and things that are beneficial to people, which is definitely a problem that needs to be acknowledged. However, I feel like there's more than just that and I've missed the memo quite significantly.

Idk, I don't get it. He'd be a one-term president, but the greatest president in American history would be the one who dealt with the national debt by getting rid of medicare, Medicaid, social security, food stamps, etc.

Not sure if that's a joke or not, to be honest. But hey, people will figure it out. :p

Just in case, often when I discuss something, it's under the pretense of the Socratic Method or the devil's advocate, so just know that I don't always advocate for what I'm saying. Thank you.

Also, I have a habit of editing posts soon after they're made to correct minor errors. Please be aware of that.

Imperial Joseon
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Imperial Joseon » Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:26 am

However, hey, it's better than someone pointing fingers and colluding with an enemy nation to secure his presidency.

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:27 am

Sougra wrote:
Greater vakolicci haven wrote:Idk, I don't get it. He'd be a one-term president, but the greatest president in American history would be the one who dealt with the national debt by getting rid of medicare, Medicaid, social security, food stamps, etc.

Not sure if that's a joke or not, to be honest. But hey, people will figure it out. :p

Nah, not a fan of any welfare programme honestly. My money is mine, not poor peoples.

Imperial Joseon
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Imperial Joseon » Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:29 am

Sougra wrote:Not sure if that's a joke or not, to be honest. But hey, people will figure it out. :p

Nah, not a fan of any welfare programme honestly. My money is mine, not poor peoples.

Welfare nets you money when you're old.

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:31 am

Imperial Joseon wrote:
Greater vakolicci haven wrote:Nah, not a fan of any welfare programme honestly. My money is mine, not poor peoples.

Apparently a lot of young people don't believe that. They think it will have collapsed before then.

Imperial Joseon
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Imperial Joseon » Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:32 am

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:
Imperial Joseon wrote:

Apparently a lot of young people don't believe that. They think it will have collapsed before then.

Work is of utmost concern, since that's the factor going in for your welfare.

Sougra
Diplomat

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Sougra » Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:35 am

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:
Sougra wrote:Ok, so maybe I've been left out of the loop here, but why is having a heavy focus on the national debt a seemingly bad thing? I understand the whole problem with it being used to justify cutting social services and things that are beneficial to people, which is definitely a problem that needs to be acknowledged. However, I feel like there's more than just that and I've missed the memo quite significantly.

Krugman loves debt. Here I'll quote a bit:

At this point, however, the debt obsession has been thoroughly debunked by both economic research and experience. We live in a world awash in private savings looking for someplace to go, with investors willing to lend money to governments at incredibly low interest rates. It’s actually irresponsible not to put this money to work investing in the future, both by building physical infrastructure and through programs that help children develop their potential.

Now, the Trump administration is doing it wrong — borrowing large sums, but squandering the money on tax cuts for corporations and the wealthy. But even bad deficit spending boosts the economy to some extent, and it is the reason America is still growing reasonably fast while Europe, still in the grip of austerity ideology, is stagnating.

I mostly agree with him, except I'd say that tax cuts are a legitimate way to spend deficit money.

Thank you. So it's the whole idea regarding deficit spending being better for the economy, then?

As for tax cuts being a legitimate way to spend money, I agree, however, I personally question how effective they generally are other than as a thing that wins elections.

However, the investors part has me a bit confused. I'm not well versed in the economics of government, so I don't understand why investors are giving money to the government itself, and not parties or lobbyists.

Albrenia
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Albrenia » Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:36 am

Would cutting down on welfare really 'balance the budget'? I'm not aware of the numbers, but with the enormous debt that the US is constantly building I'm not certain it would.

I'm personally a fan of welfare, and think everyone paying a little more to prevent some truly awful human suffering from happening is worth it even if it isn't 'fair', as such.

Blargoblarg
Minister

Founded: Sep 06, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Blargoblarg » Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:36 am

Bloomberg has qualified for the next Democratic debate

I want to see Sanders and the other candidates criticize him for his racist, sexist, and anti-poor people record to his face.
Claudia De la Cruz 2024 Article about her here
Democrats and Republicans are both right-wing capitalists owned by the rich and the big corporations. Major media in the US is also owned by the rich and big corporations.
Major study finds that America is an oligarchy, not a democracy
"Workers of the world, unite!" -Marx and Engels
You can read The State and Revolution by Lenin for free here
My 8values results My leftvalues results
I am autistic.

Imperial Joseon
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Imperial Joseon » Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:36 am

Sougra wrote:Thank you. So it's the whole idea regarding deficit spending being better for the economy, then?

As for tax cuts being a legitimate way to spend money, I agree, however, I personally question how effective they generally are other than as a thing that wins elections.

However, the investors part has me a bit confused. I'm not well versed in the economics of government, so I don't understand why investors are giving money to the government itself, and not parties or lobbyists.

I mean, America can always take out a national debt.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General