NATION

PASSWORD

2020 US General Election Thread IV: The Battle Begins

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Who do you think will win South Carolina?

Sanders
59%
Warren
No votes
Biden
39%
Buttigieg
No votes
Klobuchar
2%
Steyer
No votes

Total votes : 46

Cisairse
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 17, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Cisairse » Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:54 pm

Aureumterra wrote:
Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:
Some states don't allow write-ins at all, and many others only count write-ins for people who registered for them.

New Hampshire is a write-in state (it's also easy to get on the ballot, hence so many) but even they don't record the write-ins unless there's a viable number. How they decide viable I forget.

I wonder if you can write yourself in…?

Mitt Romney famously voted for his wife in the 2016 presidential election.
The details of the above post are subject to leftist infighting.

I officially endorse Fivey Fox for president of the United States.

Arlenton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 16, 2012
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Arlenton » Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:10 pm

Anyone else think Warren is running for the VP spot?

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 04, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:24 pm

Arlenton wrote:Anyone else think Warren is running for the VP spot?

I don't. She's just hanging in on the chance her luck changes and polls of 12% turn to results of 15% plus.
I doubt she'll make it to Super Tuesday, then she'll go back to being a Senator.
Many nominees have a previous failed primary run on their resume, it's practice I think.
I report offenses if and only if they are crimes.
No footwear industry: citizens cannot afford new shoes.
High rate of Nobel prizes and other academic achievements.

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:26 pm

Saturna1ia wrote:
Aureumterra wrote:I wonder if you can write yourself in…?

Yes

But it won't necessarily be counted (except as "write in") and if it's not counted it's not published.

Imperial Joseon
Minister

Founded: Dec 13, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Imperial Joseon » Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:27 pm

Reminds me of Palin.
Champions - Sporting World Cup 10 (U-18),

Sougra
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 20, 2018
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Sougra » Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:28 pm

I think that's a strong possibility. However, it's dependent on who's VP. Bernie is questionable now, although she was almost guaranteed that previously, aside from a few other possibilities. Her focus on praising Klobuchar, to me, is signalling to the moderates that she'll be supportive of them, and still bring some of the progressives who support her along to grant them some legitimacy from them.
"Nobody here on NSG is sane, including me."

Just in case, often when I discuss something, it's under the pretense of the Socratic Method or the devil's advocate, so just know that I don't always advocate for what I'm saying. Thank you.

Also, I have a habit of editing posts soon after they're made to correct minor errors. Please be aware of that.

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:37 pm

Sougra wrote:

I think that's a strong possibility. However, it's dependent on who's VP. Bernie is questionable now, although she was almost guaranteed that previously, aside from a few other possibilities. Her focus on praising Klobuchar, to me, is signalling to the moderates that she'll be supportive of them, and still bring some of the progressives who support her along to grant them some legitimacy from them.

Interesting. I'd just assumed that Warren's supporters would go 80% or so to Sanders, if she dropped out and endorsed him. But if she endorsed Klobuchar instead then who knows?

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:38 pm

Imperial Joseon wrote:

Reminds me of Palin.

Why? They're very different.

Imperial Joseon
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Imperial Joseon » Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:39 pm

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:
Imperial Joseon wrote:
Reminds me of Palin.

Both have some similarities, although in different geographical areas.

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:48 pm

Imperial Joseon wrote:
Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:

Warren is a serving Senator, Palin was a resigned Alaska governor (quit before her term was up)
Warren is contesting the party nomination, Palin wasn't contesting anything
Warren is way smart and has a bunch of policies, Palin was thick as a brick and had no policies
Warren is from Massachusetts, Palin was from Alaska
Warren is medium/old, Palin was quite young (by standards of that level of politics)

Against what? They're both women?

Imperial Joseon
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Imperial Joseon » Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:50 pm

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:
Imperial Joseon wrote:

Warren is a serving Senator, Palin was a resigned Alaska governor (quit before her term was up)
Warren is way smart and has a bunch of policies, Palin was thick as a brick and had no policies
Warren is medium/old, Palin was quite young (by standards of that level of politics)

Yeah, both women was what I was trying to convey. Also, I stated they're from different areas.

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:03 pm

Imperial Joseon wrote:
Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:

Yeah, both women was what I was trying to convey. Also, I stated they're from different areas.

I'm less outraged than you might expect. Choosing a female running-mate might look like pandering.

Imperial Joseon
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Imperial Joseon » Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:03 pm

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:
I'm less outraged than you might expect. Choosing a female running-mate might look like pandering.

Didn't mean to outrage you. Sorry.

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:05 pm

My top issue is definitely healthcare with raising the minimum wage and protecting unions as a close second.

Bear Stearns
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 02, 2018
Capitalizt

Postby Bear Stearns » Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:06 pm

The World Capitalist Confederation wrote:
Bear Stearns wrote:My top issues in order of priority are:

1) Immigration (hard restrictionist)
2) Foreign policy (anti-war, non-interventionism)
3) Environment (I don't see this realistically being solved by either party)
4) Economy (I side with Democrats on economics)

What ideology are you exactly?

Nationalist
The Bear Stearns Companies, Inc. is a New York-based global investment bank, securities trading and brokerage firm. Its main business areas are capital markets, investment banking, wealth management and global clearing services. Bear Stearns was founded as an equity trading house on May Day 1923 by Joseph Ainslie Bear, Robert B. Stearns and Harold C. Mayer with $500,000 in capital.
383 Madison Ave,
New York, NY 10017
Vince Vaughn

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:08 pm

Bear Stearns wrote:
The World Capitalist Confederation wrote:What ideology are you exactly?

Nationalist

I've certainly seen worse nationalist ideologies.
Do you support conscription?? :D
Last edited by Genivaria on Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:13 pm

Imperial Joseon wrote:
Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:

Didn't mean to outrage you. Sorry.

Not much. If the Dems somehow choose a young nominee (ie Buttigieg) then an older woman might work.

Whether Warren would take the offer is another matter. Being from Massachusetts, she can keep the Senate seat while running and only has to give it up if she wins.

Sougra
Diplomat

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Sougra » Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:37 pm

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:
Sougra wrote:I think that's a strong possibility. However, it's dependent on who's VP. Bernie is questionable now, although she was almost guaranteed that previously, aside from a few other possibilities. Her focus on praising Klobuchar, to me, is signalling to the moderates that she'll be supportive of them, and still bring some of the progressives who support her along to grant them some legitimacy from them.

Interesting. I'd just assumed that Warren's supporters would go 80% or so to Sanders, if she dropped out and endorsed him. But if she endorsed Klobuchar instead then who knows?

Well, she's kind of burning some of the bridges she had with the Sanders crowd. The whole narrative of Sanders saying a woman can't win and her stating it's true, whether the story is true or not because we can't know, as well as her criticizing him far more openly (having her volunteers give arguments why people should support her and not Sanders (which is what she previously criticized him for and stated that as being an attack), that part of the debate where she subtly argued that Sanders takes PAC money, but she and Klobuchar don't through omission, and her supporting the Culinary Union) is not making friends of out of Bernie supporters or making her supporters have an affinity for Bernie.

Her supporters are generally split between the Buttigieg, Klobuchar, and Sanders groups, as far as I can tell. Although I believe a small majority of her supporters have Bernie as their second choice.

And whether you like her or not, or are a Sanders supporter or not, her repeated focus repeatedly is far more against Bernie than it was previously, and that's pretty apparent. Sanders on the other hand, hasn't said anything negative about her, other than that volunteer script from a while back, which has some doubt raised as to who made it or how involved Sanders was, whether you consider that valid or not.

She may endorse him or she may endorse Klobuchar. She's attempting to play this game of being the middle of progressives and moderates, and that can definitely work and is a valid strategy, but it's done in such a way where I feel many people who don't have her as her first choice feel like she's doing it for personal gain and not because she genuinely is that candidate. Then again, my reading of that could be totally wrong.

So, I think for her and her campaign, it's going to be a political calculation. Does she endorse a Klobuchar and have a way to play ball if there's a moderate nominee and be involved, while risking the support of progressives? Does she stick by her long time friend Bernie and potentially gain progressive support, even though he might lose and isn't popular among the establishment, which risks moderate voters? Or maybe she doesn't make an endorsement at all like in 2016?

Only time will tell what she decides if she gets out of the race.

Just in case, often when I discuss something, it's under the pretense of the Socratic Method or the devil's advocate, so just know that I don't always advocate for what I'm saying. Thank you.

Also, I have a habit of editing posts soon after they're made to correct minor errors. Please be aware of that.

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:00 pm

Trying to appeal to progressives and to moderates should be a good strategy, but Warren's numbers say it isn't working.

Progressives care about policy, but moderates are a bit afraid of it. They prefer vague statements which "feel" right, with policies there, but never put front and center. Policies are a means to an end, and shouldn't even be mentioned except in the context of achieving a goal (like health coverage for everyone).

So if she could start again, I'd tell Warren to have all those policies there on her website (for anyone who is interested, that is mainly progressives) but not to talk about them at every opportunity. She might have a chance of getting votes from both factions.

Or not. Maybe it's just not possible with factional entrenchment within the party. I will say the whole field have taken on some progressive policies ... like $15 minimum wage. Even Bloomberg has that.

Sougra
Diplomat

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Sougra » Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:13 pm

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:Trying to appeal to progressives and to moderates should be a good strategy, but Warren's numbers say it isn't working.

Progressives care about policy, but moderates are a bit afraid of it. They prefer vague statements which "feel" right, with policies there, but never put front and center. Policies are a means to an end, and shouldn't even be mentioned except in the context of achieving a goal (like health coverage for everyone).

So if she could start again, I'd tell Warren to have all those policies there on her website (for anyone who is interested, that is mainly progressives) but not to talk about them at every opportunity. She might have a chance of getting votes from both factions.

Or not. Maybe it's just not possible with factional entrenchment within the party. I will say the whole field have taken on some progressive policies ... like $15 minimum wage. Even Bloomberg has that.

That could work. The thing that Sanders does well that Warren doesn't, I think, is that Warren goes into the minutiae of "this is what we're going to do, and how," which is cool, but can be boring and make people see more holes in what you're presenting, while Sanders attacks the morality of what he's against in very passionate terms.

People are far more likely, in my eyes, to accept the "this is wrong, and this is why" argument, rather than the "this is how we fix this." Because people can disagree with your approach far more easily than why you oppose it.

So I'd say that I disagree as to the what you'd advise Warren to do, but you're not wrong in identifying what's wrong. (The coincidence of the statement above and this one matching was not intended, but are welcome)

And the field has largely gone for the progressive ideas, without question, because Bernie made it apparent that they're popular. The issue is whether said candidates will do anything about it.
Last edited by Sougra on Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Corrian
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 19, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Corrian » Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:02 pm

The Lone Alliance wrote:
Albrenia wrote:It's briefly amusing to consider a Bloomberg/Hillary team beating Trump, if just for the outrage it would cause among Trump and his loyalists.

Sadly, I'm not that invested in salt mining the opposition despite the costs.

Oh it gets better now people are saying that if Bloomberg doesn't get Hillary he should get Romney.... so according to these people the miracle way to defeat the 2020 Republican party would be to simply become the 2012 Republican party. :roll:

Sad that so many of the anti-Trump branch of the Republican party have decided to try and hijack the Democratic party.

Remember when Bernie was supposedly hijacking the party and they cared so much? We're hijacking the party way less than they're now trying to do. Hypocrites. Everyone's a bunch of hypocrites.
My Last.FM and RYM

Look on the bright side, one day you'll be dead~Street Sects

Corrian
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 19, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Corrian » Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:11 pm

Tarsonis wrote:
Corrian wrote:God no. I wouldn't vote President at all.

Not even a write in? I'm thinking of either Martin Sheen or Jimmy Smits

Maybe Vermin Supreme
My Last.FM and RYM

Look on the bright side, one day you'll be dead~Street Sects

The East Marches II
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 11, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby The East Marches II » Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:14 pm

The Lone Alliance wrote:
Albrenia wrote:It's briefly amusing to consider a Bloomberg/Hillary team beating Trump, if just for the outrage it would cause among Trump and his loyalists.

Oh it gets better now people are saying that if Bloomberg doesn't get Hillary he should get Romney.... so according to these people the miracle way to defeat the 2020 Republican party would be to simply become the 2012 Republican party. :roll:

Sad that so many of the anti-Trump branch of the Republican party have decided to try and hijack the Democratic party.

Am I alive right now?

Post War America
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 05, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Post War America » Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:18 pm

Corrian wrote:
Tarsonis wrote:
Not even a write in? I'm thinking of either Martin Sheen or Jimmy Smits

Maybe Vermin Supreme

Specifically my ticket would be "The Reanimated Corpse of Eugene V Debs".
Ceterum autem censeo Carthaginem delendam esse
Proudly Banned from the 10000 Islands
For those who care
A PMT Social Democratic Genepunk/Post Cyberpunk Nation the practices big (atomic) stick diplomacy
Not Post-Apocalyptic
Economic Left: -9.62
Social Libertarian: -6.00
Unrepentant New England Yankee
Gravlen wrote:The famous Bowling Green Massacre is yesterday's news. Today it's all about the Cricket Blue Carnage. Tomorrow it'll be about the Curling Yellow Annihilation.

LRON
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 20, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby LRON » Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:57 pm

The Lone Alliance wrote:

Why are you upset? I thought Americans long bemoaned their two party system, perhaps you obtain a three or four party system now. I think it is quite evident at this time that the Democrats will split after the Trump fiasco is over, whether it be through his defeat or reelection. The Republicans will probably hold on a bit longer but even then you can already see the coming divide and rupture. Isn't this the future American reformists wanted? Multiple parties, more voices, more diverse political opinions? Well, here you have it!
Last edited by LRON on Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ravenous, ridiculous, and rakish!
Political fixer turned novelist.
Upper Class Anglo-Indian.
Proud Tory, but no longer a member of the Conservative Party.
Enthusiastically eccentric.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General