NATION

PASSWORD

Slashing old age benefits; an accidental carbon tax?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Should we let Trump slash social security and/or medicare?

Yes, and I support a carbon tax.
6%
Yes, but I do not support a carbon tax.
24%
No, despite my support for a carbon tax. (Please explain.)
48%
No, and I do not support a carbon tax either.
22%

Total votes : 54

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Black Forrest » Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:44 am

Greater vakolicci haven wrote:
Chernoslavia wrote:
I know it’s a metaphor. I’m just telling you no one is forcing you or mandating that you work for anyone.

No, but these people want to come for my property, my wealth, and my right to produce my own goods and sell them.

Because it’s what gets us goods and services to live and to enjoy life. You’re not entitled to other people’s goods, it’s not the job of the toothbrush factory to make sure you have a free toothbrush, the people running the toothbrush invest time money and resources to produce those toothbrushes to get something off of it too. This phone Im using to talk to you, exists because people like Steve Jobs invest their wealth into R&D to make it. Like it or not, wealthy business people made life a bit easier.

Exactly the point.

If there is no welfare, people might die. However, it's not the fault of 'society' that they do, it's on them for not getting work to pay the bills.

Kind of hard to do when the one percenters own most of the national income. In the US; trump gift to those that don’t need help are up to 60% of the nation income now (read it somewhere; can’t find the article now).

Your views are rather similar to the French aristocracy.....
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

Purgatio
Negotiator

Founded: May 18, 2018
Corporate Police State

Postby Purgatio » Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:13 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:
Greater vakolicci haven wrote:Exactly the point.

If there is no welfare, people might die. However, it's not the fault of 'society' that they do, it's on them for not getting work to pay the bills.

Kind of hard to do when the one percenters own most of the national income. In the US; trump gift to those that don’t need help are up to 60% of the nation income now (read it somewhere; can’t find the article now).

The French aristocracy was exempt from a lot of important taxes, hence the poor ended up paying more in taxes than the nobility. In contrast, the 1% pays 39% of all income tax revenue (https://www.forbes.com/sites/michaeldurkheimer/2018/03/01/0-001-percent-one-percent/#129ee9b2cf21), yet we constantly have to put up with defamatory slurs about being 'hoarders' or 'pilfers', while in reality contributing far more than our share to support and maintain the national economy (in particular, forced by law to support the lifestyles and indulgences of the less economically productive sections of the population). I've yet to hear any in the non-1% show any gratitude, just complaints and general whining (founded largely on class envy).
Purgatio is an absolutist hereditary monarchy run as a one-party fascist dictatorship, which seized power in a sudden and abrupt coup d'état of 1987-1988, on an authoritarian eugenic and socially Darwinistic political philosophy and ideology, now ruled and dominated with a brutal iron fist under the watchful reign of Le Grand Roi Chalon-Arlay de la Fayette and La Grande Reine Geneviève de la Fayette (née Aumont) (i.e., the 'Founding Couple' or Le Couple Fondateur).

For a domestic Purgation 'propagandist' view of its role in the world, see: An Introduction to Purgatio.

And for a more 'objective' international perspective on Purgatio's history, culture, and politics, see: A Brief Overview of the History, Politics, and Culture of Le Royaume du Nettoyage de la Purgatio.

Celritannia
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 10, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Celritannia » Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:20 am

Purgatio wrote:
The Black Forrest wrote:

The French aristocracy was exempt from a lot of important taxes, hence the poor ended up paying more in taxes than the nobility. In contrast, the 1% pays 39% of all income tax revenue (https://www.forbes.com/sites/michaeldurkheimer/2018/03/01/0-001-percent-one-percent/#129ee9b2cf21), yet we constantly have to put up with defamatory slurs about being 'hoarders' or 'pilfers', while in reality contributing far more than our share to support and maintain the national economy (in particular, forced by law to support the lifestyles and indulgences of the less economically productive sections of the population). I've yet to hear any in the non-1% show any gratitude, just complaints and general whining (founded largely on class envy).

IT's nothing to do with class envy.
But when the 1% store their money in offshore bank accounts, or have their businesses evade tax, or get tax breaks from the right wing government, that's when there is a problem.
When the people are starving they rise up, which is what happened in the French Revolution. Had the aristocracy actually listened to the please of the Third Estate, then the revolution may not have happened.

Also, asking the 99% to "show Gratitude" is the very self-righteous entitlement behaviour of the the 1% that the rest of the people despise greatly.
The 1% are not owned anything except to pay their taxes and stop hoarding it in offshore bank accounts.
Last edited by Celritannia on Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

My DeviantArt
Obey
When you annoy a Celritannian
U W0T M8?
Zirkagrad wrote:A person with a penchant for flying lions with long tongues, could possibly be a fan of Kiss. Maybe the classiest nation with a lion with its tongue hanging out. Enjoys only the finest tea.

Nakena wrote:NSG's Most Serene Salad
Citizen of Earth, Commonwealthian, European, British, Yorkshireman.
Atheist, Environmentalist

Gun Manufacturers
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 23, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Gun Manufacturers » Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:38 pm

Purgatio wrote:Preferably, the Trump administration should slash Medicare and Social Security entirely, get rid of it all. The idea that younger working taxpayers should have to fund the proclivities and lifestyles of a retired generation that could have saved up for their retirement and stupidly chose not to is an injustice worst than any other I can begin to imagine. Get rid of both of these insane, utterly morally indefensible and reprehensible programs now.

I have been saving for my eventual retirement, BY PAYING INTO SOCIAL SECURITY (It isn't the ONLY leg of my retirement though). So don't act like people collecting Social Security are asking to get free money by leaching off of younger working taxpayers.
Gun control is like trying to solve drunk driving by making it harder for sober people to own cars.

Any accident you can walk away from is one I can laugh at.

DOJ's interpretation of the 2nd Amendment: http://www.justice.gov/sites/default/fi ... -p0126.pdf

Natapoc wrote:...You should post more in here so I don't seem like the extremist...

Auraelius wrote:If you take the the TITANIC, and remove the letters T, T, and one of the I's, and add the letters C,O,S,P,R, and Y you get CONSPIRACY. oOooOooooOOOooooOOOOOOoooooooo

Maineiacs wrote:Give a man a fish and he eats for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll sit in a boat and get drunk all day.

Luw wrote:Politics is like having two handfuls of shit - one that smells bad and one that looks bad - and having to decide which one to put in your mouth.

Previous

Return to General