NATION

PASSWORD

Grid power discussion (solar, wind, nuclear, etc.)

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Which power generation method do you prefer?

Coal
2%
Natural gas
2%
Nuclear (uranium fission/thorium fission/fusion)
46%
Wind
7%
Solar
16%
Hydro
9%
Geothermal
6%
Oil
1%
Other
3%
David Hasselhoff
8%

Total votes : 123

Imperial Joseon
Minister

Founded: Dec 13, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Imperial Joseon » Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:00 am

Grenartia wrote:Use reactors that can't meltdown.

Doesn't meltdown have the possibility to occur in every nuclear plant?
Champions - Sporting World Cup 10 (U-18),

The of Korea
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 29, 2019
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The of Korea » Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:02 am

Imperial Joseon wrote:
Grenartia wrote:Use reactors that can't meltdown.

no, only in reactors with a positive void coefficient.

Imperial Joseon
Minister

Founded: Dec 13, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Imperial Joseon » Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:05 am

The of Korea wrote:
Imperial Joseon wrote:

no, only in reactors with a positive void coefficient.

Ah, okay.
Champions - Sporting World Cup 10 (U-18),

Novus America
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 02, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:19 am

Imperial Joseon wrote:
The of Korea wrote:no, only in reactors with a positive void coefficient.

Ah, okay.

A reactor with a positive void coefficient produces more energy the hotter it gets (all else being equal), and the more energy it produces the hotter it gets.
This can rarely produce a runaway feed back loop, (it keeps getting hotter and hotter) or a melt down.

However many reactors have a NEGATIVE void coefficient. As they get hotter they produce less energy, thus making a melt down literally impossible.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Zombie Ike/Teddy Roosevelt 2020.

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.
Think something like prewar Fallout, minus the bad stuff.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

Grenartia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 14, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:34 am

Novus America wrote:
Imperial Joseon wrote:
Ah, okay.

A reactor with a positive void coefficient produces more energy the hotter it gets (all else being equal), and the more energy it produces the hotter it gets.
This can rarely produce a runaway feed back loop, (it keeps getting hotter and hotter) or a melt down.

However many reactors have a NEGATIVE void coefficient. As they get hotter they produce less energy, thus making a melt down literally impossible.

I believe I made the comparison before, its not possible in the same way the Titanic was unsinkable, its not possible in the same way the Titanic couldn't fly from London to New York.
Lib-left. Antifascist, antitankie, anti-capitalist, anti-imperialist (including the imperialism of non-western countries). Christian (Unitarian Universalist). Background in physics.
Mostly a girl. She or they pronouns, please. Unrepentant transbian.
Reject tradition, embrace modernity.
People who call themselves based NEVER are.
The truth about kids transitioning.

UniversalCommons
Senator

Founded: Jan 24, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby UniversalCommons » Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:00 pm

Since nobody has brought this up, I will throw it in. It is still not there yet. What do you think of plasma converters? Plasma arc technology. This is not quite the same as incinerators. They run a lot hotter.

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:04 pm

UniversalCommons wrote:Since nobody has brought this up, I will throw it in. It is still not there yet. What do you think of plasma converters? Plasma arc technology. This is not quite the same as incinerators. They run a lot hotter.

If one of the offshoots of the technology is plasma rifles then I'm all for it. :p
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

UniversalCommons
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby UniversalCommons » Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:25 pm

The New California Republic wrote:
UniversalCommons wrote:Since nobody has brought this up, I will throw it in. It is still not there yet. What do you think of plasma converters? Plasma arc technology. This is not quite the same as incinerators. They run a lot hotter.

If one of the offshoots of the technology is plasma rifles then I'm all for it. :p

I created a ridiculous idea, superfission, a plasma arc converter that was powered by nuclear fission. A kind of crazed early attempt at a matter converter by a mad scientist. It ran hot enough that there was no residue when you threw junk into it. A fantasy that will never happen... Everyone has these moments sometimes.

Grenartia
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:29 am

UniversalCommons wrote:Since nobody has brought this up, I will throw it in. It is still not there yet. What do you think of plasma converters?

What, like direct energy converters?

Plasma arc technology. This is not quite the same as incinerators. They run a lot hotter.

You mean plasma gasification. I have a few concerns. First, at best, the gas produced is only carbon neutral, not carbon zero or even carbon negative. Second, it seems like you get less energy out of the gas than you use to produce it in the first place. That means it isn't an energy source, its just an energy transport system (just like hydrogen, except hydrogen has the benefit of being carbon zero). Don't get me wrong, its great for waste management, I just wouldn't use it as an energy source.

UniversalCommons wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:If one of the offshoots of the technology is plasma rifles then I'm all for it. :p

I created a ridiculous idea, superfission, a plasma arc converter that was powered by nuclear fission.

Name sounds highly misleading. Makes it sound like a variant of the nuclear fission process, rather than an use case for power generation from it.

A kind of crazed early attempt at a matter converter

All chemical reactions are "matter converters". They convert one or more kinds of matter into one or more kinds of different matter. You yourself are a matter converter.

by a mad scientist. It ran hot enough that there was no residue when you threw junk into it. A fantasy that will never happen... Everyone has these moments sometimes.

Ummm ok.
Lib-left. Antifascist, antitankie, anti-capitalist, anti-imperialist (including the imperialism of non-western countries). Christian (Unitarian Universalist). Background in physics.

UniversalCommons
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby UniversalCommons » Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:38 pm

Speaking of Nuclear Power. Something like this is the right kind of nuclear power plant. Not the giant ones.
https://news.yahoo.com/worlds-tiniest-n ... 00256.html

Waldoven
Spokesperson

Founded: Jan 07, 2020
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Waldoven » Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:32 am

UniversalCommons wrote:Speaking of Nuclear Power. Something like this is the right kind of nuclear power plant. Not the giant ones.

Wow, that's a cool nuclear powerplant! It looks very futuristic, that's what all nuclear power plants should be like!
United Federation of Waldoven

"Curiosity drives Waldoven forwards!"
Home page | Region
Waldoven, home to the Waldovian species. United in 1970 WT (2,217,130 AD), Waldovians have come far ever since the first humans crashed onto the planet, now taking their first steps to becoming an interplanetary civilization.
A nation that represents about 80% of my political views
Current year: 2,217,130 AD | 1990 WT

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 04, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:55 am

Waldoven wrote:
UniversalCommons wrote:Speaking of Nuclear Power. Something like this is the right kind of nuclear power plant. Not the giant ones.

Wow, that's a cool nuclear powerplant! It looks very futuristic, that's what all nuclear power plants should be like!

Looking at the surrounds, I'm pretty sure the whole pic is a simulation.

What do you expect it to look like, a rectangular concrete block with no windows, some rusty drums out the back and the skyline ruined with electricity poles?
I report offenses if and only if they are crimes.
No footwear industry: citizens cannot afford new shoes.
High rate of Nobel prizes and other academic achievements.

Waldoven
Spokesperson

Founded: Jan 07, 2020
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Waldoven » Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:21 am

.....maybe?
United Federation of Waldoven

"Curiosity drives Waldoven forwards!"
Home page | Region
Waldoven, home to the Waldovian species. United in 1970 WT (2,217,130 AD), Waldovians have come far ever since the first humans crashed onto the planet, now taking their first steps to becoming an interplanetary civilization.
A nation that represents about 80% of my political views
Current year: 2,217,130 AD | 1990 WT

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 04, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:37 am

Waldoven wrote:.....maybe?

Just my personal aesthetic. Buildings should look like what they are.

Rectangular concrete building. No windows (because minimal staff). A road and a parking lot (for the staff). A fence around it.

Not that I'm opposed to the idea itself. If they can find a way to generate electricity from nuclear waste, while keeping it safely sub-critical, then good luck to them.

My respect for aesthetics went out the window, watching the pretty blue boxes at Fukushima fuck up. They should have spent the money on better backup generators but they spent it on aesthetics.
I report offenses if and only if they are crimes.
No footwear industry: citizens cannot afford new shoes.
High rate of Nobel prizes and other academic achievements.

Grenartia
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:54 pm

I'm...skeptical. The general rule for nuclear power is the smaller your reactor, the faster the fuel is used up, and the more often it needs to be replenished. This is why cars and tanks designed to be powered by internal reactors never got moving (pun intended).

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:09 am

Definitely worth looking into, although large ones have benefits as well. I do not think it is a one size fits all thing, the size and type should be optimized for what it is being used for.

Although small, modular reactors are not new, the navy has been using them over 60 years.
Without a single serious accident I might add.

They are ideal for ships obviously, small islands, and small islands, other more isolated communities, large building/schools/industrial complexes though,

And should be used for those. Perfect for military bases, the White House and Capital compex, etc.

Not so good for say NYC.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:31 am

Novus America wrote:

Definitely worth looking into, although large ones have benefits as well. I do not think it is a one size fits all thing, the size and type should be optimized for what it is being used for.

Although small, modular reactors are not new, the navy has been using them over 60 years.

They are ideal for ships obviously, small islands, and small islands, other more isolated communities, large building/schools/industrial complexes though,

And should be used for those. Perfect for military bases, the White House and Capital compex, etc.

Not so good for say NYC.

I've always wondered whether any government bunkers have their own reactors for power similar to the naval ones, that could last decades or more without refuelling. Then the only time limit on habitability would be food, as water could be drawn from underground water sources and purified, and filtered air pumped around almost indefinitely. But unfortunately it's one of those things we are never likely to find out.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:33 am

The New California Republic wrote:
Novus America wrote:

Not so good for say NYC.

I've always wondered whether any government bunkers have their own reactors for power similar to the naval ones, that could last decades or more without refuelling. Then the only time limit on habitability would be food, as water could be drawn from underground water sources and purified, and filtered air pumped around almost indefinitely. But unfortunately it's one of those things we are never likely to find out.

True, it is possible mount weather and the like has one.
But we know the Capitol power plant runs on gas. And most military bases run on fossil.
Something that could be easily fixed via installing ship reactors on land.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Satuga
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 27, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Satuga » Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:37 am

I'm still saying thorium is our future main power source, which will probably last us much longer than most people think.
Alt-Acc: Kronotek.
Funny quotes:
Infected Mushroom wrote:I don’t like democracy. It’s messy, disorderly, unclean.

I much prefer uniforms, soldiers, clear lines of authority, order.
Tarsonis wrote:
Fartsniffage wrote:Can the pair of you go do it in one of the myriad American politics threads?

(Image)

So help me I will throw your tea into the harbor again

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:45 am

Satuga wrote:I'm still saying thorium is our future main power source, which will probably last us much longer than most people think.

Definitely, although because we do not have a working Thorium plant yet, we need to build more Uranium plants, and continue to research Thorium. My plan would be to replace peaking fossil plants with solar and hydroelectric, all baseload fossil with nuclear.
Start with Uranium but with a long term plan to transition to Thorium and then Hydrogen (fusion).
We have enough Uranium, with reprocessing to lay us centuries, with Thorium that gives us a few thousand extra years to get fusion up and running.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Satuga
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 27, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Satuga » Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:12 am

Novus America wrote:
Satuga wrote:I'm still saying thorium is our future main power source, which will probably last us much longer than most people think.

Definitely, although because we do not have a working Thorium plant yet, we need to build more Uranium plants, and continue to research Thorium. My plan would be to replace peaking fossil plants with solar and hydroelectric, all baseload fossil with nuclear.
Start with Uranium but with a long term plan to transition to Thorium and then Hydrogen (fusion).
We have enough Uranium, with reprocessing to lay us centuries, with Thorium that gives us a few thousand extra years to get fusion up and running.

It would also allow us to control the effects of the use of fossil fuels, coal, etc, as thorium would barely produces waste materials. So all in all thorium is just the best thing we have for power. I hope humanity lives long enough and prosperous enough to be able to build a fully functional Dyson sphere.
Alt-Acc: Kronotek.
Funny quotes:
Infected Mushroom wrote:I don’t like democracy. It’s messy, disorderly, unclean.

I much prefer uniforms, soldiers, clear lines of authority, order.
Tarsonis wrote:
Fartsniffage wrote:Can the pair of you go do it in one of the myriad American politics threads?

(Image)

So help me I will throw your tea into the harbor again

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General