NATION

PASSWORD

Grid power discussion (solar, wind, nuclear, etc.)

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Which power generation method do you prefer?

Coal
2%
Natural gas
2%
Nuclear (uranium fission/thorium fission/fusion)
46%
Wind
7%
Solar
16%
Hydro
9%
Geothermal
6%
Oil
1%
Other
3%
David Hasselhoff
8%

Total votes : 123

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:55 am

Senkaku wrote:
Imperial Joseon wrote:Surprised to find people mostly preferring nuclear power. Hiroshima and Nagasaki 2.0.

i believe we're discussing reactors for power generation not the use of bombs for strategic-level wartime attacks lol

Yeah I noticed how weird that was too but I brushed it off.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

Founded: Oct 01, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:36 pm

Imperial Joseon wrote:
Grenartia wrote:
Ok, let me just take all of this head on.

First, no nuclear reactor has ever been able to be "Hiroshima and Nagasaki 2.0". Yes, that includes Chernobyl.

Second, Chernobyl was an outdated design without passive safety features that was being operated in a manner that was basically ASKING for a meltdown. Modern Gen 3 and 4 reactors are fail safe, and many Gen 4 designs are physically impossible to meltdown.

Fukushima incident, too.

I know you have changed your opinion but I want to clarify what happened there.

Fukushima got hit by a massive quake, one it was no designed to actually take (it was designed to take a less strong earthquake and keep producing electricity though the building itself was built to withstand the actual earthquake, and did). Due to the quake, the reactor properly started to shut down, but doing so meant that it was no longer producing electricity to cool the reaction (bad design there) and so of course switched to emergency power provided by diesel generators which worked until the plant got hit by a massive tsunami that the plant was also not designed for, taking out the backup generators. It was only after these backups where taken out that issues began to occur. When the tsunami flooded where the first set of generators were, they attempted to switch to a second set of backup generators that where higher up but those too had been flooded and so could not work, and due to the earthquake messing up roads and the such, backups from outside where delayed in reaching the plant. In essence, this powerplant had backups for the backups for the backups and they all failed due to the sheer severity of the quake and then tsunami as well as issues with the design.
If you want to call me by a nickname, call me Gon...or NS Batman.
Mod stuff: One Stop Rules Shop | Reppy's Sig Workshop | Getting Help Request
Just A Little though

Window Land
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 02, 2016
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Window Land » Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:18 pm

Neutraligon wrote:
Imperial Joseon wrote:
Fukushima incident, too.

I know you have changed your opinion but I want to clarify what happened there.

Fukushima got hit by a massive quake, one it was no designed to actually take (it was designed to take a less strong earthquake and keep producing electricity though the building itself was built to withstand the actual earthquake, and did). Due to the quake, the reactor properly started to shut down, but doing so meant that it was no longer producing electricity to cool the reaction (bad design there) and so of course switched to emergency power provided by diesel generators which worked until the plant got hit by a massive tsunami that the plant was also not designed for, taking out the backup generators. It was only after these backups where taken out that issues began to occur. When the tsunami flooded where the first set of generators were, they attempted to switch to a second set of backup generators that where higher up but those too had been flooded and so could not work, and due to the earthquake messing up roads and the such, backups from outside where delayed in reaching the plant. In essence, this powerplant had backups for the backups for the backups and they all failed due to the sheer severity of the quake and then tsunami as well as issues with the design.

You forgot the battery backups, they were able keep electric pumps running about a day after the diesel pumps went out.
Bored college student who is probably supposed to be doing something important.
Woodie Flowers wrote:If you’re anti-science, you’re pro-stupid.

Evelyn Beatrice Hall wrote:I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

Winston Churchill wrote:Democracy is the worst form of government – except for all the others that have been tried.

Randall Munroe wrote: I can't remember where I heard this, but someone once said that defending a position by citing free speech is sort of the ultimate concession; you're saying that the most compelling thing you can say for your position is that it's not literally illegal to express.
Free Speech

American Pere Housh
Senator

Founded: Jan 12, 2019
Father Knows Best State

Postby American Pere Housh » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:54 am

I can see why the U.S. is building new reactors.
Government Type: Militaristic Republic
Leader: President Alexander Jones
Prime Minister: Isabella Stuart-Jones
Secretary of Defense: Hitomi Izumi
Secretary of State: Eliza 'Vanny' Cortez
Time: 2023
Population: MT-450 million
Territory: All of North America, The Islands of the Caribbean and the Philippines

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:08 am

American Pere Housh wrote:I can see why the U.S. is building new reactors.

...care to expand on that? What you just did is equivalent to saying "you know what they say..." and then saying nothing after it...
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

Wave on, wave on

Prolets Isl
Lobbyist

Founded: Jan 31, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Prolets Isl » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:12 am

Molten Salt Nuclear Reactors seem promising.
https://www.popularmechanics.com/science/energy/a29112873/salt-reactors/
Personally I'm still waiting for Ocean Thermal Electric Generators to become more efficient.
Last edited by Prolets Isl on Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Imperial Joseon
Minister

Founded: Dec 13, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Imperial Joseon » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:12 am

American Pere Housh wrote:I can see why the U.S. is building new reactors.

Better for an environment.
Champions - Sporting World Cup 10 (U-18),

Earth Orbit
Bureaucrat

Founded: Oct 24, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Earth Orbit » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:03 am

Prolets Isl wrote:Molten Salt Nuclear Reactors seem promising.
Personally I'm still waiting for Ocean Thermal Electric Generators to become more efficient.

Just Googled those. Seems like a really interesting and clever concept - geothermal, but on water. I'm skeptical of its practicality, as the gradients in temperature aren't nearly at the level you see in geothermal, but it could hold some promise. (Nuclear would likely beat it out in terms of cost per unit hour, however, especially because sea platforms are painfully expensive to maintain.)
Last edited by Earth Orbit on Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
A 7/0/7 10.28 civilization according to this index.
I don't usually use NS Stats.
FNS HOMEPAGE | 11/23/2170 | BREAKING: VIOLETIST ATTACKS TAKING PLACE ACROSS FEDERATION, LUNA - STATE OF NATIONAL EMERGENCY DECLARED | 11/23/2170 | FNS HOMEPAGE
Ah yes, asteroid mining techno space-capitalism. I'll be boarding the rocket immediately. - Synne Industries
...I’ve never seen one [future nations] that’s an orbital country. That’s a really unique concept and I’m a fan of it to be honest. - Cantelo
---
FACTBOOKS | OVERVIEW (PORTAL) | MILITARY | TECH PORTAL | DIPLOMACY PORTAL | FICTION PORTAL
Bored 16-y/o conservative American guy with an addiction to hard SF and the Internet.
More...

UniversalCommons
Senator

Founded: Jan 24, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby UniversalCommons » Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:46 pm

Ocean thermal could be much more widespread than geothermal. So could tidal power. The problem with tidal and ocean thermal power is that the sea is a destructive place. A wave buoy can sink, there can be a tidal wave which destroys an ocean thermal installation.

There needs to be some changes though. Oil, gas, coal, and natural gas are increasingly becoming more likely to become stranded assets as nuclear power, wind power, hydropower, and solar power expand. There have been massive write downs in the oil industry. More money is being put into nuclear, solar, hydro, and wind as the fear of climate change happens. Also, electric vehicles are becoming more viable, not just cars, but also boats and trains and in the near future planes. Self driving cars change the potential from ownership to sharing with less cars on the road.

https://gimegatrends.com/articles/will- ... ed-assets/

Hfhbsd
Bureaucrat

Founded: Feb 03, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Hfhbsd » Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:53 pm

Earth Orbit wrote:
Prolets Isl wrote:Molten Salt Nuclear Reactors seem promising.

Just Googled those. Seems like a really interesting and clever concept - geothermal, but on water. I'm skeptical of its practicality, as the gradients in temperature aren't nearly at the level you see in geothermal, but it could hold some promise. (Nuclear would likely beat it out in terms of cost per unit hour, however, especially because sea platforms are painfully expensive to maintain.)

You'd probably also be interested in solar updraft power:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_updraft_tower
The great thing about these is that they produce power even at night (a bit less than during the day, of course) (which is a major drawback of photovoltaics), and that you can use the land under them for other things (such as photovoltic panels, or farming algae.)
Speaking of biofuels:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Azolla
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Azolla_event
Azolla is a very fast-growing aquatic fern. It can even nitrogen-fix due to a symbiotic relationship with a nitrogen-fixing bacterium.
Half of this nation is one big joke, and the other half resembles my beliefs. I'm not telling you which is which.
Sig in progress; please wait

Vetalia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 23, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Vetalia » Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:22 pm

Solar is my personal favorite as it is both becoming exponentially cheaper and becoming more efficient at operating under poorer conditions than ever before. After all, every other source of power aside from nuclear and geothermal is just a version of solar power in one way or another. I also like natural gas because it has significant potential to become a truly renewable source of energy, since after all it's pretty much just methane.

Solar/wind/tidal combined with a baseline grid of biogas, hydroelectric and geothermal power would be a sustainable and carbon-neutral power source with massive capacity for future expansion.
Economic Left/Right: 0.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.05

Neanderthaland
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 10, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Neanderthaland » Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:26 pm

The New California Republic wrote:
Senkaku wrote:i believe we're discussing reactors for power generation not the use of bombs for strategic-level wartime attacks lol

Yeah I noticed how weird that was too but I brushed it off.

Strategic-level wartime nuclear attacks are just another Tuesday for you, I'd imagine.
Ug make fire. Mod ban Ug.

Albrenia
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Albrenia » Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:31 pm

Still rather iffy about nuclear power myself, not for it being 'dirty' or 'dangerous' in normal settings, but for it being a rather large weakness in the event of a more conventional war.

When the tidal wave damaged the Fukushima plant, it sent waves of people fleeing from the area in panic. I can't help but think of how easily one could cripple a country if one blew some big holes in a few nuclear power plants and let the panic of the population do its work.

Senkaku
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 01, 2012
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Senkaku » Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:21 am

Albrenia wrote:Still rather iffy about nuclear power myself, not for it being 'dirty' or 'dangerous' in normal settings, but for it being a rather large weakness in the event of a more conventional war.

When the tidal wave damaged the Fukushima plant, it sent waves of people fleeing from the area in panic. I can't help but think of how easily one could cripple a country if one blew some big holes in a few nuclear power plants and let the panic of the population do its work.

Damn that’s true I guess we’ll just have to uhhhh avoid wars?? aha unless...?
Biden-Santos Thought cadre

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:17 am

Neanderthaland wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:Yeah I noticed how weird that was too but I brushed it off.

Strategic-level wartime nuclear attacks are just another Tuesday for you, I'd imagine.

There is a fallout forecast on the daily weather report. :p

Wave on, wave on

Grenartia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 14, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:54 am

Albrenia wrote:Still rather iffy about nuclear power myself, not for it being 'dirty' or 'dangerous' in normal settings, but for it being a rather large weakness in the event of a more conventional war.

Senkaku wrote:Damn that’s true I guess we’ll just have to uhhhh avoid wars?? aha unless...?

Alternatively, switch to the designs that physically cannot meltdown.
Lib-left. Antifascist, antitankie, anti-capitalist, anti-imperialist (including the imperialism of non-western countries). Christian (Unitarian Universalist). Background in physics.
Mostly a girl. She or they pronouns, please. Unrepentant transbian.
Reject tradition, embrace modernity.
People who call themselves based NEVER are.
The truth about kids transitioning.

Senkaku
Postmaster of the Fleet

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Senkaku » Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:48 pm

Grenartia wrote:

Senkaku wrote:Damn that’s true I guess we’ll just have to uhhhh avoid wars?? aha unless...?

Yeah I’m sure no problems would result if a bunker buster hit one of those and scattered fuel pebbles and radioactive dust across the countryside, you’re right no need to even try to avoid a global war against a peer adversary that can kinetically strike the homeland’s power grid

Broke: avoiding war because war is bad
Woke: avoiding war because you don’t want them to blow up your reactors
Bespoke: not avoiding war because you’re a warmonger
Master stroke: not avoiding war because your reactors are safe even if they take a direct hit so it doesn’t matter
Last edited by Senkaku on Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Albrenia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Albrenia » Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:20 pm

Hehehe.

My concerns would be much lessened if one could design a reactor able to be safe even if it has all of its shielding blasted away or the core itself damaged. I'm not sure if that's possible, but if it is, that's nice.

It's not so much the actual danger which causes the panic though, one would need to somehow convince the population that nothing's amiss when the word of the reactor getting hit gets out though.

Grenartia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 14, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:48 pm

Senkaku wrote:
Grenartia wrote:

Yeah I’m sure no problems would result if a bunker buster hit one of those and scattered fuel pebbles and radioactive dust across the countryside, you’re right no need to even try to avoid a global war against a peer adversary that can kinetically strike the homeland’s power grid

Broke: avoiding war because war is bad
Woke: avoiding war because you don’t want them to blow up your reactors
Bespoke: not avoiding war because you’re a warmonger
Master stroke: not avoiding war because your reactors are safe even if they take a direct hit so it doesn’t matter

Imagine actually believing that was the intent of my post.
Lib-left. Antifascist, antitankie, anti-capitalist, anti-imperialist (including the imperialism of non-western countries). Christian (Unitarian Universalist). Background in physics.
Mostly a girl. She or they pronouns, please. Unrepentant transbian.
Reject tradition, embrace modernity.
People who call themselves based NEVER are.
The truth about kids transitioning.

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 04, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:47 pm

Albrenia wrote:Hehehe.

My concerns would be much lessened if one could design a reactor able to be safe even if it has all of its shielding blasted away or the core itself damaged. I'm not sure if that's possible, but if it is, that's nice.

Fissionable fuel is always going to be rather nasty. Yes even with the thorium cycle.

If being attacked with rockets is a serious concern, I guess you'd minimize the amount of fuel in each one. Smaller reactors, less dirty fuel, strong containment. Maybe some anti-missile defenses.

There was a congressional enquiry after 9/11 and it concluded that a civilian airliner wouldn't breach a containment dome.

It's not so much the actual danger which causes the panic though, one would need to somehow convince the population that nothing's amiss when the word of the reactor getting hit gets out though.

Actually this is a de facto nuclear attack. The appropriate response would be to nuke them back.
That's state actors accounted for, now the only worry is terrorists with truck bombs or possibly small missiles.
I report offenses if and only if they are crimes.
No footwear industry: citizens cannot afford new shoes.
High rate of Nobel prizes and other academic achievements.

Senkaku
Postmaster of the Fleet

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Senkaku » Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:39 am

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:[

There was a congressional enquiry after 9/11 and it concluded that a civilian airliner wouldn't breach a containment dome.

so remember kids, all you need is two civilian airliners and a dream! :p

Albrenia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Albrenia » Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:59 am

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:Actually this is a de facto nuclear attack. The appropriate response would be to nuke them back.
That's state actors accounted for, now the only worry is terrorists with truck bombs or possibly small missiles.

Is it really though? Would a hit on a nuclear power plant really be responded to with a full MAD response?

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 04, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:10 am

Albrenia wrote:
Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:Actually this is a de facto nuclear attack. The appropriate response would be to nuke them back.

Is it really though? Would a hit on a nuclear power plant really be responded to with a full MAD response?

Interesting you mention MAD. It worked. Any state actor considering such a vicious attack would be aware of the possible response so they wouldn't do it.

Don't underestimate a truck bomb though.
I report offenses if and only if they are crimes.
No footwear industry: citizens cannot afford new shoes.
High rate of Nobel prizes and other academic achievements.

Albrenia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Albrenia » Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:18 am

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:
Albrenia wrote:

Interesting you mention MAD. It worked. Any state actor considering such a vicious attack would be aware of the possible response so they wouldn't do it.

MAD certainly did work, I'm not denying that. If each nation did consider that as the response to hitting a nuclear power plant, that would at least keep the war panic scenario a rare chance.

Imperial Joseon
Minister

Founded: Dec 13, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Imperial Joseon » Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:28 am

Albrenia wrote:
Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:

MAD certainly did work, I'm not denying that. If each nation did consider that as the response to hitting a nuclear power plant, that would at least keep the war panic scenario a rare chance.

Wind is the safest, all in all.
Champions - Sporting World Cup 10 (U-18),

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General