NATION

PASSWORD

Grid power discussion (solar, wind, nuclear, etc.)

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Which power generation method do you prefer?

Coal
2%
Natural gas
2%
Nuclear (uranium fission/thorium fission/fusion)
46%
Wind
7%
Solar
16%
Hydro
9%
Geothermal
6%
Oil
1%
Other
3%
David Hasselhoff
8%

Total votes : 123

Imperial Joseon
Minister

Founded: Dec 13, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Imperial Joseon » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:25 am

The New California Republic wrote:
Imperial Joseon wrote:
Well, I oppose it because of the risks. That's what I'm saying. My opinion.

Again I repeat what I said.

Chernobyl is probably a better comparison.
Champions - Sporting World Cup 10 (U-18),

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:27 am

Imperial Joseon wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:Again I repeat what I said.

Ditto what I just said.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Grenartia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 14, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:30 am

Imperial Joseon wrote:

Ok, let me just take all of this head on.

First, no nuclear reactor has ever been able to be "Hiroshima and Nagasaki 2.0". Yes, that includes Chernobyl.

Second, Chernobyl was an outdated design without passive safety features that was being operated in a manner that was basically ASKING for a meltdown. Modern Gen 3 and 4 reactors are fail safe, and many Gen 4 designs are physically impossible to meltdown.
Lib-left. Antifascist, antitankie, anti-capitalist, anti-imperialist (including the imperialism of non-western countries). Christian (Unitarian Universalist). Background in physics.
Mostly a girl. She or they pronouns, please. Unrepentant transbian.
Reject tradition, embrace modernity.
People who call themselves based NEVER are.
The truth about kids transitioning.

Imperial Joseon
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Imperial Joseon » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:32 am

Grenartia wrote:
Imperial Joseon wrote:

First, no nuclear reactor has ever been able to be "Hiroshima and Nagasaki 2.0". Yes, that includes Chernobyl.

Second, Chernobyl was an outdated design without passive safety features that was being operated in a manner that was basically ASKING for a meltdown. Modern Gen 3 and 4 reactors are fail safe, and many Gen 4 designs are physically impossible to meltdown.

Fukushima incident, too.

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 04, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:33 am

Imperial Joseon wrote:

You could have saved with an observation that a reactor is needed to make fission weapons.

(It's not the same kind of reactor, weakens the point)
I report offenses if and only if they are crimes.
No footwear industry: citizens cannot afford new shoes.
High rate of Nobel prizes and other academic achievements.

Imperial Joseon
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Imperial Joseon » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:35 am

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:
Imperial Joseon wrote:

You could have saved with an observation that a reactor is needed to make fission weapons.

Okay, fair enough, but what about Fukushima?

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:35 am

Grenartia wrote:
Imperial Joseon wrote:

Chernobyl's issue was the control rods had moderators on the tips allowing the reactor to work with less fully enriched fuel. Hit Scram with all the control rods out and before you see a drop in power you see an increase in power.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:36 am

Imperial Joseon wrote:
Grenartia wrote:

Fukushima incident, too.

Fukushima reactors couldn't be shut down quickly and need a supply of cold water to keep from melting down.
Nobody here is proposing to build more of those, or any similar dangerous design.

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:36 am

Grenartia wrote:
Imperial Joseon wrote:

Yup. The RBMK was a cheap and shitty reactor design that aimed to get the maximum power from the smallest outlay by cutting corners. The retrofitted RBMK reactors still in operation are mostly fine but still fall far below current norms. Hence why they are being phased out.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

Wave on, wave on

Imperial Joseon
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Imperial Joseon » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:37 am

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:
Imperial Joseon wrote:
Fukushima incident, too.

Fukushima reactors couldn't be shut down quickly and need a supply of cold water to keep from melting down.
Nobody here is proposing to build more of those, or any similar dangerous design.

Ah, okay. I misunderstood about the nuclear reactors, then. I apologize. However, wouldn't it be great, if we were allowed ton control nuclear fusion?

Grenartia
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:39 am

Imperial Joseon wrote:
Grenartia wrote:

Fukushima incident, too.

Fukushima was a Gen 2 reactor.
Lib-left. Antifascist, antitankie, anti-capitalist, anti-imperialist (including the imperialism of non-western countries). Christian (Unitarian Universalist). Background in physics.

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:39 am

Grenartia wrote:

Yup. The RBMK was a cheap and shitty reactor design that aimed to get the maximum power from the smallest outlay by cutting corners. The retrofitted RBMK reactors still in operation are mostly fine but still fall far below current norms. Hence why they are being phased out.

The Russians use the old design on their floating nuclear power plants in the arctic.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:39 am

Imperial Joseon wrote:
Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:

Some of the same issues as the RBMK, shitty design, but also shitty placement in a tsunami risk area.

Wave on, wave on

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:39 am

Greed and Death wrote:
Grenartia wrote:

Chernobyl's issue was the control rods had moderators on the tips allowing the reactor to work with less fully enriched fuel. Hit Scram with all the control rods out and before you see a drop in power you see an increase in power.

This is correct. The moderated tips had to pass through the center most active region of the reactor before being withdrawn. The reactor was being operated in a very dangerous low power mode, for testing or some inadequate reason.

Imperial Joseon
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Imperial Joseon » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:41 am

Imperial Joseon wrote:

Some of the same issues as the RBMK, shitty design, but also shitty placement in a tsunami risk area.

All right; I won't complain about the newly-made nuclear reactors anymore.

Grenartia
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:42 am

Imperial Joseon wrote:

Well, to be entirely fair, the reactor survived the earthquake and tsunami perfectly fine. The backup generators for the coolant pumps were what got damaged by the tsunami.

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:44 am

Grenartia wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:Some of the same issues as the RBMK, shitty design, but also shitty placement in a tsunami risk area.

Well, to be entirely fair, the reactor survived the earthquake and tsunami perfectly fine. The backup generators for the coolant pumps were what got damaged by the tsunami.

The systems that were damaged were still vital to the functioning of the reactors, so it was still a catastrophic system failure caused by poor design and poor placement.

Wave on, wave on

Grenartia
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:50 am

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:
Greed and Death wrote:Chernobyl's issue was the control rods had moderators on the tips allowing the reactor to work with less fully enriched fuel. Hit Scram with all the control rods out and before you see a drop in power you see an increase in power.

This is correct. The moderated tips had to pass through the center most active region of the reactor before being withdrawn. The reactor was being operated in a very dangerous low power mode, for testing or some inadequate reason.

Which is basically what I said.

Grenartia wrote:

The systems that were damaged were still vital to the functioning of the reactors, so it was still a catastrophic system failure caused by poor design and poor placement.

Right, but it puts the implied blame of the failure on the reactor itself. Had the generators been located in a less vulnerable position, nobody outside the industry (and the area surrounding the plant) would know the name Fukushima.
Last edited by Grenartia on Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Imperial Joseon
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Imperial Joseon » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:51 am

Grenartia wrote:
Right, but it puts the implied blame of the failure on the reactor itself. Had the generators been located in a less vulnerable position, nobody outside the industry (and the area surrounding the plant) would know the name Fukushima.

Yeah, the place is full of radioactive waste now. Too dangerous to go there.

Grenartia
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:57 am

Imperial Joseon wrote:
Grenartia wrote:

Yeah, the place is full of radioactive waste now. Too dangerous to go there.

Personally, I can't wait for Pebble Bed Reactors, so we can finally put all this silly anti-nuclear paranoia to bed for good.

UniversalCommons
Senator

Founded: Jan 24, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby UniversalCommons » Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:49 am

The problem is that nuclear power is acting like a mature industry with limited innovation. They are building the old reactors and talking about the new reactors. Things like pebble bed reactors are sold as we can't fail which is a problem with the nuclear industry. Instead of we will plan for failure and know how to stop a melt down, have built in multiple redundancies to prevent meltdown, it is nothing ever breaks, we are perfectly safe, our new reactors will work exactly as planned. Nothing new works as planned. There will always be disasters of some kind or other. Because of this, no new reactors get built. The people living near the reactors don't like it.

Grenartia
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:14 am

UniversalCommons wrote:The problem is that nuclear power is acting like a mature industry with limited innovation. They are building the old reactors and talking about the new reactors.

Because there's not enough political support for the new reactors. Hell, there's not even much political support for the current reactors.

Things like pebble bed reactors are sold as we can't fail which is a problem with the nuclear industry. Instead of we will plan for failure and know how to stop a melt down, have built in multiple redundancies to prevent meltdown, it is nothing ever breaks, we are perfectly safe, our new reactors will work exactly as planned. Nothing new works as planned. There will always be disasters of some kind or other. Because of this, no new reactors get built. The people living near the reactors don't like it.

Nobody said PBRs "can't fail". However, it is physically impossible for them to meltdown. This isn't like saying the Titanic is unsinkable. This is like saying the Titanic cannot fly under its own power. It is a factual statement. A meltdown inherently requires reactor power to increase as reactor temperature goes up, in a positive feedback loop. That mode of operation is fundamentally impossible in a PBR, since reactor power goes down as reactor temperature goes up. It is self-limiting. Furthermore, it requires no coolant that can be irradiated, so if something *DOES* fail, there is no release of radioactive gases, and the reactor can cool itself through passive convection. This also allows the reactor to run hotter, which, by the fundamental laws of thermodynamics, means more efficient power generation. The simplified cooling system also reduces startup and maintenance costs, because you don't have to build and maintain a fuckton of pipes.

And the people living near the reactors "don't like it" because they've been fed propaganda saying nuclear is bad and inherently dangerous. I've said it before, and I'll say it until the day I die: I'd rather live 500ft from a nuclear power plant than 500 miles from a coal power plant.

Earth Orbit
Bureaucrat

Founded: Oct 24, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Earth Orbit » Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:50 am

Grenartia wrote:
UniversalCommons wrote:The problem is that nuclear power is acting like a mature industry with limited innovation. They are building the old reactors and talking about the new reactors.

Because there's not enough political support for the new reactors. Hell, there's not even much political support for the current reactors.

Things like pebble bed reactors are sold as we can't fail which is a problem with the nuclear industry. Instead of we will plan for failure and know how to stop a melt down, have built in multiple redundancies to prevent meltdown, it is nothing ever breaks, we are perfectly safe, our new reactors will work exactly as planned. Nothing new works as planned. There will always be disasters of some kind or other. Because of this, no new reactors get built. The people living near the reactors don't like it.

Nobody said PBRs "can't fail". However, it is physically impossible for them to meltdown. This isn't like saying the Titanic is unsinkable. This is like saying the Titanic cannot fly under its own power. It is a factual statement. A meltdown inherently requires reactor power to increase as reactor temperature goes up, in a positive feedback loop. That mode of operation is fundamentally impossible in a PBR, since reactor power goes down as reactor temperature goes up. It is self-limiting. Furthermore, it requires no coolant that can be irradiated, so if something *DOES* fail, there is no release of radioactive gases, and the reactor can cool itself through passive convection. This also allows the reactor to run hotter, which, by the fundamental laws of thermodynamics, means more efficient power generation. The simplified cooling system also reduces startup and maintenance costs, because you don't have to build and maintain a fuckton of pipes.

And the people living near the reactors "don't like it" because they've been fed propaganda saying nuclear is bad and inherently dangerous. I've said it before, and I'll say it until the day I die: I'd rather live 500ft from a nuclear power plant than 500 miles from a coal power plant.

I'm just going to add that PBRs HAVE been built and run successfully; China has an experimental 10Mw one at a university (the HTR-10, still in use) and have been building a 250 Mw one since 2015. There was also the German THTR-300 Throrium High Temperature reactor, which used pebble bed tech. It generated 300 Mw for the grid, but was shut down after only 16k operating hours due to an overly complex design that caused frequent issues and one very minor accident; all of these issues were actually predicted by physicists working on the design. Plans for similar reactors in the US do not have such issues with complexity, may I note.
A 7/0/7 10.28 civilization according to this index.
I don't usually use NS Stats.
FNS HOMEPAGE | 11/23/2170 | BREAKING: VIOLETIST ATTACKS TAKING PLACE ACROSS FEDERATION, LUNA - STATE OF NATIONAL EMERGENCY DECLARED | 11/23/2170 | FNS HOMEPAGE
Ah yes, asteroid mining techno space-capitalism. I'll be boarding the rocket immediately. - Synne Industries
...I’ve never seen one [future nations] that’s an orbital country. That’s a really unique concept and I’m a fan of it to be honest. - Cantelo
---
FACTBOOKS | OVERVIEW (PORTAL) | MILITARY | TECH PORTAL | DIPLOMACY PORTAL | FICTION PORTAL
Bored 16-y/o conservative American guy with an addiction to hard SF and the Internet.
More...

Novus America
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 02, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:39 am

Grenartia wrote:

The problem is public relations. The problem is the majority of the public has no understanding of nuclear power at all. Like how people are afraid to fly so drive instead, despite driving being far more dangerous.

What we really need is better education and awareness of the environmental and yes safety benefits of replacing fossil with nuclear.

Though one thing I always found interesting is Coronado and Point Loma in San Diego are extremely desirable areas, nobody cares about all the nuclear reactors there.

The issue is that the vast majority of opposition to nuclear power is completely irrational.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Zombie Ike/Teddy Roosevelt 2020.

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.
Think something like prewar Fallout, minus the bad stuff.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

Senkaku
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 01, 2012
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Senkaku » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:43 am

Imperial Joseon wrote:Surprised to find people mostly preferring nuclear power. Hiroshima and Nagasaki 2.0.

i believe we're discussing reactors for power generation not the use of bombs for strategic-level wartime attacks lol
Biden-Santos Thought cadre

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General