NATION

PASSWORD

UK Politics Thread XII: The Lockdown

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Should the UK Take a Harder Line Against Russia on the Basis of the ISC Report?

Yes
67%
No
17%
No *vote amended by GRU*
16%

Total votes : 83

An Alan Smithee Nation
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 18, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby An Alan Smithee Nation » Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:18 am

Agarntrop wrote:
An Alan Smithee Nation wrote:Looks like my city is going to have to go back into lockdown. >:(

You are in Leicester?

Yes. Not sure what a local lockdown will look like.
Everything is intertwinkled

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Founded: May 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:28 am

An Alan Smithee Nation wrote:
Agarntrop wrote:You are in Leicester?

tyranny
Join the rejected realms and never fear rejection again
NSG virtual happy hour this Saturday: join us on zoom, what could possibly go wrong?
“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.” - Thomas Jefferson
“Silent acquiescence in the face of tyranny is no better than outright agreement." - C.J. Redwine
“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." - Jeff Cooper

Agarntrop
Powerbroker

Founded: May 14, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Agarntrop » Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:30 am

Greater vakolicci haven wrote:

tyranny

Stopping people from spreading the virus and therefore preventing deaths is tyranny but taking over women's bodies isn't, apparently :roll:
Labour Party (UK), Progressive Democrat (US)
Left Without Edge
Former Senator Barry Anderson (R-MO)

Governor Tara Misra (R-KY)

Representative John Atang (D-NY03)

Governor Max Smith (R-AZ)

State Senator Simon Hawkins (D-IA)

Join Land of Hope and Glory - a UK political RP project

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:32 am

Agarntrop wrote:
Greater vakolicci haven wrote:tyranny

Stopping people from spreading the virus and therefore preventing deaths is tyranny but taking over women's bodies isn't, apparently :roll:

The unborn are tyrants? That's a hot take.

There is no need to prevent every death and we shouldn't be sacrificing freedoms to do it.
NSG virtual happy hour this Saturday: join us on zoom, what could possibly go wrong?
“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.” - Thomas Jefferson
“Silent acquiescence in the face of tyranny is no better than outright agreement." - C.J. Redwine
“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." - Jeff Cooper

The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 04, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:36 am

tyranny

You have never experienced Tyranny lmao

You have no clue what it looks like.
Last edited by The Huskar Social Union on Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Irish Nationalist from Belfast / Leftwing / Atheist / Alliance Party voter
"I never thought in terms of being a leader, i thought very simply in terms of helping people" - John Hume 1937 - 2020

I like Miniature painting, Tanks, English Gals, Video games and most importantly Cheese.

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:38 am

The Huskar Social Union wrote:
Greater vakolicci haven wrote:tyranny

You have never experienced Tyranny lmao

Go for it. What does it look like?

The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:41 am

The Huskar Social Union wrote:You have never experienced Tyranny lmao

Go for it. What does it look like?

Oh you know, something like in Hong Kong for example? Somewhere with an actual attempt at suppressing opinions and freedoms with a violent crackdown on people at the hands of an authoritarian government?

A lockdown to prevent more people from dying in a fucking pandemic is not Tyranny, especially when from the looks of it a second wave is about to hit europe and the British government have done a shit job at coping with the first wave.
"I never thought in terms of being a leader, i thought very simply in terms of helping people" - John Hume 1937 - 2020

I like Miniature painting, Tanks, English Gals, Video games and most importantly Cheese.

The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:45 am

If someone told you you couldnt walk down the sidewalk because of construction work you would cry Tyranny.

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:45 am

Greater vakolicci haven wrote:Go for it. What does it look like?

Oh you know, something like in Hong Kong for example? Somewhere with an actual attempt at suppressing opinions and freedoms with a violent crackdown on people at the hands of an authoritarian government?

A lockdown to prevent more people from dying in a fucking pandemic is not Tyranny, especially when from the looks of it a second wave is about to hit europe and the British government have done a shit job at coping with the first wave.

So freedom of movement is not being suppressed? The government isn't pressuring companies to remove covid-19 conspiracy theories? Freedom of assembly (except, of course, the assembly they like) hasn't been abolished? People are not losing their livelyhoods as they can't run their businesses due to draconian rules? This looks a lot like tyranny to me.
Having the population be as free as is physically possible should be the end goal for any society, and when we rush to kneejerk reactions just because a few more people might die if we don't we hurt our progress towards that.

Andsed
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 24, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Andsed » Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:53 am

tyranny

Nah. Taking sensible actions to prevent a crisis is not tyranny. The lockdown will end once the pandemic is over and these freedoms will be restored. And once that happens you will see just how stupid it is to complain about temporary restrictions like this.
Last edited by Andsed on Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
I do be tired

LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Andsed
Postmaster-General

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Andsed » Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:09 am

The Huskar Social Union wrote:Oh you know, something like in Hong Kong for example? Somewhere with an actual attempt at suppressing opinions and freedoms with a violent crackdown on people at the hands of an authoritarian government?

So freedom of movement is not being suppressed? The government isn't pressuring companies to remove covid-19 conspiracy theories? Freedom of assembly (except, of course, the assembly they like) hasn't been abolished? People are not losing their livelyhoods as they can't run their businesses due to draconian rules? This looks a lot like tyranny to me.
Having the population be as free as is physically possible should be the end goal for any society, and when we rush to kneejerk reactions just because a few more people might die if we don't we hurt our progress towards that.

Then you have no clue what tyranny looks like. This would tyranny if the pandemic was not a real crisis. But it is one. And to claim taking action to deal with it is tyranny is just dumb and shows a lack of understanding about what tyranny is.
I do be tired

LOVEWHOYOUARE~

The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:09 am

The Huskar Social Union wrote:Oh you know, something like in Hong Kong for example? Somewhere with an actual attempt at suppressing opinions and freedoms with a violent crackdown on people at the hands of an authoritarian government?

So freedom of movement is not being suppressed?
Nope because essential movement is still allowed, to go to work, to get groceries, medicine and everything else that people need in order to live. And if you have not paid attention over the months those rules have been relaxed, allowing people to go out and exercise and congregate in small groups. So no its not being suppressed, it was still there, there were guidelines in place to stop people from spreading the pandemic and getting more people killed through transmission.

The government isn't pressuring companies to remove covid-19 conspiracy theories?
...and what the fuck is wrong with getting companies to take down literal fake news and conspiracy theories about a pandemic, that only serve to get more people killed and sick through lies, maliciousness and stupidity? What you think we should let all the Karens on facebook rant about how Masks are suffocating you and preventing you from getting Gods Air(TM) and its all a sin so do whatever the fuck you want with no concern?

Freedom of assembly (except, of course, the assembly they like) hasn't been abolished?

No because Freedom of Assembly is still in place, you can meet up with smaller groups of people, and the amount of people allowed to meet up has been increased as time has went on. You seriously think that precautions to stop the transmission of a virus to prevent more people from dying is the same as actively suppressing a group of peoples right to assemble because of political representation or to suppress human rights? Course you do, because you are talking out your hole.

People are not losing their livelyhoods as they can't run their businesses due to draconian rules? This looks a lot like tyranny to me.
More people would lose their livelihoods if no precautions were taken. Because you wana know what would happen if no precautions were taken? The death toll would skyrocket, the NHS would be overwhelmed and not be able to cope with the pandemic in any capacity. The economy would begin to collapse and a lot of fucking people would die. Now see if some people have to lose their jobs to save tens of thousands of others from dying, so be it, as bad as it is. But at the end of the day these are not "Draconian laws" these are sensible precautions and steps necessary to prevent the complete fucking collapse of society and tonnes of deaths.

Also a lot of the people losing their jobs is down to corporations or companies axing them because they dont want to pay their wages which they could easily afford, such as Wetherspoons who refused to pay thousands of staff? Which they could have easily afforded?
Biggest sinlge piece of bullshit in this whole bullshit post by you right here. You dont give a toss about any of this in the slightest. You are mad because you were inconvenienced and had to take other people into account. You dont give a damn about anyone other than yourself (which everyone here knows by the way because of your long history of posting absolute detached bollocks on every topic on this forum)

You are mad other people came before you, thats it. You dont give a damn about freedom or security, or prosperity or the end goal of society, its all "I wana do what i wanna do, fuck everyone else" and thats the root of the issue. "Few people might die"? No mate millions would die but you dont care because its not you, so you call sensible precautions to stave off the death of millions as Tyranny because you live an entitled life free of any actual problems and had to finally put someone before yourself.

Taking action to save lives is not Tyranny, you have no clue what you are talking about, but thats the norm for you anyway.
Last edited by The Huskar Social Union on Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:12 am

People literally being murdered for daring to exist and for wanting freedom and equal rights all around the world and facing actual persecution and Tyranny.

GVH: "Buy guys im also oppressed, i also suffer Tyranny, because they told me to stay in doors and my social life was inconvenienced for a few months in an attempt to try and stop the spread of a fucking virus. Trust me, i know what Tyranny looks like"
Last edited by The Huskar Social Union on Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Andsed
Postmaster-General

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Andsed » Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:18 am

The Huskar Social Union wrote:People literally being murdered for daring to exist and for wanting freedom and equal rights all around the world and facing actual persecution and Tyranny.

GVH: "Buy guys im also oppressed, i also suffer Tyranny, because they told me to stay in doors and my social life was inconvenienced for a few months in an attempt to try and stop the spread of a fucking virus. Trust me, i know what Tyranny looks like"

¨an oppressive, harsh, or unjust act : a tyrannical act¨ is one of the definition used by Merriam Webster for tyranny. The lockdown is not this. It is a sensible and just act to deal with a very real crisis. Calling it tyranny is an insult to those who have actually lived under tyrannical governments.
I do be tired

LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:25 am

Greater vakolicci haven wrote:So freedom of movement is not being suppressed?
Nope because essential movement is still allowed, to go to work, to get groceries, medicine and everything else that people need in order to live. And if you have not paid attention over the months those rules have been relaxed, allowing people to go out and exercise and congregate in small groups. So no its not being suppressed, it was still there, there were guidelines in place to stop people from spreading the pandemic and getting more people killed through transmission.

The government isn't pressuring companies to remove covid-19 conspiracy theories?
...and what the fuck is wrong with getting companies to take down literal fake news and conspiracy theories about a pandemic, that only serve to get more people killed and sick through lies, maliciousness and stupidity? What you think we should let all the Karens on facebook rant about how Masks are suffocating you and preventing you from getting Gods Air(TM) and its all a sin so do whatever the fuck you want with no concern?

Freedom of assembly (except, of course, the assembly they like) hasn't been abolished?

No because Freedom of Assembly is still in place, you can meet up with smaller groups of people, and the amount of people allowed to meet up has been increased as time has went on. You seriously think that precautions to stop the transmission of a virus to prevent more people from dying is the same as actively suppressing a group of peoples right to assemble because of political representation or to suppress human rights? Course you do, because you are talking out your hole.

People are not losing their livelyhoods as they can't run their businesses due to draconian rules? This looks a lot like tyranny to me.
More people would lose their livelihoods if no precautions were taken. Because you wana know what would happen if no precautions were taken? The death toll would skyrocket, the NHS would be overwhelmed and not be able to cope with the pandemic in any capacity. The economy would begin to collapse and a lot of fucking people would die. Now see if some people have to lose their jobs to save tens of thousands of others from dying, so be it, as bad as it is. But at the end of the day these are not "Draconian laws" these are sensible precautions and steps necessary to prevent the complete fucking collapse of society and tonnes of deaths.

Also a lot of the people losing their jobs is down to corporations or companies axing them because they dont want to pay their wages which they could easily afford, such as Wetherspoons who refused to pay thousands of staff? Which they could have easily afforded?
Biggest sinlge piece of bullshit in this whole bullshit post by you right here. You dont give a toss about any of this in the slightest. You are mad because you were inconvenienced and had to take other people into account. You dont give a damn about anyone other than yourself (which everyone here knows by the way because of your long history of posting absolute detached bollocks on every topic on this forum)

You are mad other people came before you, thats it. You dont give a damn about freedom or security, or prosperity or the end goal of society, its all "I wana do what i wanna do, fuck everyone else" and thats the root of the issue. "Few people might die"? No mate millions would die but you dont care because its not you, so you call sensible precautions to stave off the death of millions as Tyranny because you live an entitled life free of any actual problems and had to finally put someone before yourself.

Taking action to save lives is not Tyranny, you have no clue what you are talking about, but thats the norm for you anyway.

I don't see why saving as many lives as possible, which is a truly ridiculous aim, should take priority over allowing for the maximum levels of freedom possible. If we had gone for herd immunity, it was estimated that 250k people would die, which made the government shit themselves and decide that actually we're not a free country after all; even though the majority of the people who died would have been elderly or at deaths door anyway.

Andsed
Postmaster-General

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Andsed » Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:28 am

The Huskar Social Union wrote:Nope because essential movement is still allowed, to go to work, to get groceries, medicine and everything else that people need in order to live. And if you have not paid attention over the months those rules have been relaxed, allowing people to go out and exercise and congregate in small groups. So no its not being suppressed, it was still there, there were guidelines in place to stop people from spreading the pandemic and getting more people killed through transmission.

I don't see why saving as many lives as possible, which is a truly ridiculous aim, should take priority over allowing for the maximum levels of freedom possible. If we had gone for herd immunity, it was estimated that 250k people would die, which made the government shit themselves and decide that actually we're not a free country after all; even though the majority of the people who died would have been elderly or at deaths door anyway.

Because freedoms can be restored, a human life cannot. Sacrificing hundreds of thousands of people just so you can have ¨a free country¨ is far more immoral than a lockdown. This is not tyranny. The fact you think it is shows how little you understand about what it actually is.
Last edited by Andsed on Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
I do be tired

LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Dumb Ideologies
Post Czar

Founded: Sep 30, 2007
Mother Knows Best State

Postby Dumb Ideologies » Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:28 am

The fact that the woke revolution eats its own children is secondary to the fact that it is a social bad.

The focus on microaggresions is very damaging because it loses a sense of perspective. People become less resilient and social integration becomes more difficult as everyone is brittle and on edge. People are unwilling to leave unchallenged people's narratives and fantasies of the world and instead demand that only their story is to be told. If every small perceived slight places you in the position of victim and other people in turn feel slighted by out of proportion responses then everything takes on an air of must-be-addressed emergency, which in turn means that more fundamentally destructive iniquities get less attention.
Are these "human rights" in the room with us right now?
★彡 Professional pessimist. Reactionary socialist and gamer liberationist. Coffee addict. Fun at parties 彡★
Freedom is when people agree with you, and the more people you can force to act like they agree the freer society is
You are the trolley problem's conductor. You could stop the train in time but you do not. Nobody knows you're part of the equation. You satisfy your bloodlust and get away with it every time

The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:29 am

The Huskar Social Union wrote:Nope because essential movement is still allowed, to go to work, to get groceries, medicine and everything else that people need in order to live. And if you have not paid attention over the months those rules have been relaxed, allowing people to go out and exercise and congregate in small groups. So no its not being suppressed, it was still there, there were guidelines in place to stop people from spreading the pandemic and getting more people killed through transmission.

I don't see why saving as many lives as possible, which is a truly ridiculous aim, should take priority over allowing for the maximum levels of freedom possible.
Course you dont.

If we had gone for herd immunity, it was estimated that 250k people would die, which made the government shit themselves and decide that actually we're not a free country after all
Herd immunity was a stupid idea and 250k people dying when you can take steps to prevent that is not acceptable. And yes the UK is a free country, taking sensible steps to prevent deaths is not taking away freedom, but its easy to see why you dont understand that when you had to be slightly inconvenienced for a short period of your life.

even though the majority of the people who died would have been elderly or at deaths door anyway.
Or suffer from pre existing conditions which weaken their immune system making them more susceptible to infection and thus death. Like my mother, or my father for a period after having his heart attack, or my sister and one of my nieces.

Your utter callousness is demonstrated once again and just shows how pathetically out of touch and self centred you really are.
Last edited by The Huskar Social Union on Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:30 am

Andsed wrote:
Greater vakolicci haven wrote:I don't see why saving as many lives as possible, which is a truly ridiculous aim, should take priority over allowing for the maximum levels of freedom possible. If we had gone for herd immunity, it was estimated that 250k people would die, which made the government shit themselves and decide that actually we're not a free country after all; even though the majority of the people who died would have been elderly or at deaths door anyway.

Because freedoms can be restored, a human life cannot. Sacrificing hundreds of thousands of people just so you can have ¨a free country¨ is far more immoral than a lockdown. This is not tyranny. The fact you think it is shows how little you understand about what it actually is.

I just put very little value on human life I guess. What I don't understand is why most people don't share that view.

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:31 am

Greater vakolicci haven wrote:I don't see why saving as many lives as possible, which is a truly ridiculous aim, should take priority over allowing for the maximum levels of freedom possible.
Course you dont.

If we had gone for herd immunity, it was estimated that 250k people would die, which made the government shit themselves and decide that actually we're not a free country after all
Herd immunity was a stupid idea and 250k people dying when you can take steps to prevent that is not acceptable. And yes the UK is a free country, taking sensible steps to prevent deaths is not taking away freedom, but its easy to see why you dont understand that when you had to be slightly inconvenienced for a short period of your life.

even though the majority of the people who died would have been elderly or at deaths door anyway.
Or suffer from pre existing conditions which weaken their immune system making them more susceptible to infection and thus death. Like my mother, or my father for a period after having his heart attack, or my sister and one of my nieces.

Your utter callousness is demonstrated once again and just shows how pathetically out of touch and self centred you really are.

Do you mean like my mother, father and grandmother? Two of them are shielding, one has diabetes. Well...supposed to be shielding I guess.

The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:31 am

Andsed wrote:Because freedoms can be restored, a human life cannot. Sacrificing hundreds of thousands of people just so you can have ¨a free country¨ is far more immoral than a lockdown. This is not tyranny. The fact you think it is shows how little you understand about what it actually is.

I just put very little value on human life I guess. What I don't understand is why most people don't share that view.

Because most people are not like you thankfully, and i would call you what i really wana call you but im not in the mood for another ban at the moment.

The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:32 am

The Huskar Social Union wrote:Course you dont.

Do you mean like my mother, father and grandmother? Two of them are shielding, one has diabetes. Well...supposed to be shielding I guess.

And there is the cherry on top, that members of your own family could die from this and you dont care in the slightest.

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:33 am

Greater vakolicci haven wrote:Do you mean like my mother, father and grandmother? Two of them are shielding, one has diabetes. Well...supposed to be shielding I guess.

And there is the cherry on top, that members of your own family could die from this and you dont care in the slightest.

Oh I'd be very sad, however I don't think my own feelings should be the reason people aren't free, that'd be very selfish of me.

Andsed
Postmaster-General

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Andsed » Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:34 am

Andsed wrote:Because freedoms can be restored, a human life cannot. Sacrificing hundreds of thousands of people just so you can have ¨a free country¨ is far more immoral than a lockdown. This is not tyranny. The fact you think it is shows how little you understand about what it actually is.

Because we have something called basic fucking empathy and actually give a damm about those around us instead of acting like a edgy 13 year old and going on dumb tangents about how there is no real value to human life. Honestly man is it really so hard to understand that most people actually put value in the lives of others?
Last edited by Andsed on Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
I do be tired

LOVEWHOYOUARE~

The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:36 am

The Huskar Social Union wrote:And there is the cherry on top, that members of your own family could die from this and you dont care in the slightest.

Oh I'd be very sad, however I don't think my own feelings should be the reason people aren't free, that'd be very selfish of me.

No you lacking basic empathy and thinking only about yourself is very selfish of you. Cut the act jim bob its not fooling anyone, you dont care about freedom, you dont care about people living their lives, you care about yourself and you would be more than happy to have other peoples rights curtailed if it didnt effect you at all. Just look at you view on abortion for example and how you want to deny women the right to choose. You want people to be free, but wait no not that freedom, thats a bad one how dare you

So cut the shit.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General