NATION

PASSWORD

UK Politics Thread XII: The Lockdown

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Should the UK Take a Harder Line Against Russia on the Basis of the ISC Report?

Yes
67%
No
17%
No *vote amended by GRU*
16%

Total votes : 83

Questarian New Yorkshire
Minister

Founded: Nov 08, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Questarian New Yorkshire » Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:16 am

The New California Republic wrote:Good, at least this thread hasn't been locked. Long live the UKPol thread.

Sorry, I woke up to the sight of the LWDT, another thread I'm OP of, permalocked and "GG no re."

The only reason UKPOL wasn't killed was because all the people who disagreed with the majority opinion on the thread left lol - and with them went all the posters that actually wanted to discuss or debate. The thread is now just an empty echochamber. It's a bit sad really. I was just the other day thinking back to how lively it was in 2016 when we had the Brexit debates
REST IN PEACE RWDT & LWDT
I'm just a poor wayfaring stranger, traveling through this world below
There is no sickness, no toil, nor danger, in that bright land to which I go
I'm going there to see my Father, and all my loved ones who've gone on
I'm only going over Jordan, I'm only going over home

I know dark clouds will gather 'round me, I know my way is hard and steep
But beauteous fields arise before me, where God's redeemed, their vigils keep

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:19 am

Questarian New Yorkshire wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:Good, at least this thread hasn't been locked. Long live the UKPol thread.

Sorry, I woke up to the sight of the LWDT, another thread I'm OP of, permalocked and "GG no re."

The only reason UKPOL wasn't killed was because all the people who disagreed with the majority opinion on the thread left lol - and with them went all the posters that actually wanted to discuss or debate. The thread is now just an empty echochamber. It's a bit sad really. I was just the other day thinking back to how lively it was in 2016 when we had the Brexit debates

You have a very strange definition of "echo chamber".
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

An Alan Smithee Nation
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 18, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby An Alan Smithee Nation » Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:19 am

I think raising this here was a fucking mistake.
Everything is intertwinkled

An Alan Smithee Nation
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby An Alan Smithee Nation » Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:22 am

The Free Joy State wrote:
An Alan Smithee Nation wrote:Not sure why the government is making such a song and a dance over reducing safe distancing to 1m. Pretty sure they are going to do it for economic reasons.

I think Hancock's insistence that the government has made all the right decisions deserves the Morecambe and Wise like response of just not necessarily at the right time or in the right order.

Pretty certain they are going to do it, yeah.

Their backbenchers have been pressing them. Of course, they have to be seen to be thinking about it, because only then can they do their "following the science" tap dance.

But I imagine their decision has been made for a while now, purely on economic grounds.

It's concerning to me that Germany has 1.5m distance and the past few days show the R rate is really starting to grow there, due to new clusters. And Germany seemed to have it very well controlled.

When our R rate is hovering dangerously close to 1 in some areas, the prospect of relaxing the distance seems foolhardy. Especially with an effective track and trace not in place or likely to be until September/October.

I would have trialled it before reopening pubs and non-essential shops to see what effect it had on the reinfection rate. But then I think they announced re-opening pubs to distract from Dominic Cummings.

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:24 am

An Alan Smithee Nation wrote:

Possibly, yeah.

Can we try and yank it back onto the thread of British politics. The locked threads and their merits or what-have-you have a thread dedicated to them in Moderation.

James Brokenshire says the situation in Germany is "concerning" and will inform the UK government's next moves.

Who's betting the distance will be shortened to 1m by next Monday?
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

My nation does not represent my beliefs or politics.

The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 04, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:24 am

Why what happened?
Irish Nationalist from Belfast / Leftwing / Atheist / Alliance Party voter
"I never thought in terms of being a leader, i thought very simply in terms of helping people" - John Hume 1937 - 2020

I like Miniature painting, Tanks, English Gals, Video games and most importantly Cheese.

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:26 am

The Free Joy State wrote:Pretty certain they are going to do it, yeah.

Their backbenchers have been pressing them. Of course, they have to be seen to be thinking about it, because only then can they do their "following the science" tap dance.

But I imagine their decision has been made for a while now, purely on economic grounds.

It's concerning to me that Germany has 1.5m distance and the past few days show the R rate is really starting to grow there, due to new clusters. And Germany seemed to have it very well controlled.

When our R rate is hovering dangerously close to 1 in some areas, the prospect of relaxing the distance seems foolhardy. Especially with an effective track and trace not in place or likely to be until September/October.

I would have trialled it before reopening pubs and non-essential shops to see what effect it had on the reinfection rate. But then I think they announced re-opening pubs to distract from Dominic Cummings.

Not just the pubs. We also got zoos, safari parks and theme parks.

They really wanted us to forget what a mess he'd made.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

My nation does not represent my beliefs or politics.

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:35 am

The Free Joy State wrote:

Not just the pubs. We also got zoos, safari parks and theme parks.

They really wanted us to forget what a mess he'd made.

Eventually they're going to run out of dead cats. Hopefully.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:35 am

I just raised it here because I'm OP of both of these threads, and I was genuinely concerned that this one was going to be put to the block too.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:40 am

I think the social distancing rule will be reduced to 1m, I doubt there is anything to stop it.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jun 14, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Ostroeuropa » Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:44 am

The Mighty Breakfast Baguette from Spar should be illegal.

I'm dead now. I've transitioned to my own version of purgatory.

Sat in my almost empty house on the laptop waiting to be picked up to go to my new house, but they shall only find a corpse, and it will be too heavy to move.

Who the fuck thought this was a breakfast baguette? I can barely move. Just sat here letting out cries of pain, the tv remote just out of reach so i'm forced to watch endless reruns of judge judy.

So much bacon, cheese, sausages, eggs, and potatoes.

In a baguette. Potatoes.

Do not send help, I'm afraid the responders will end up trapped in the room with me watching judge judy forever.

I guess it was a mighty baguette, it has bested me. I lay here slain.
Last edited by Ostroeuropa on Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ostro.MOV

There is an out of control trolley speeding towards Jeremy Bentham, who is tied to the track. You can pull the lever to cause the trolley to switch tracks, but on the other track is Immanuel Kant. Bentham is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Critique of Pure Reason. Kant is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Principles of Moral Legislation. Both men are shouting at you that they have recently started to reconsider their ethical stances.

Shamhnan Insir
Minister

Founded: Jul 08, 2013
Father Knows Best State

Postby Shamhnan Insir » Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:45 am

The New California Republic wrote:I think the social distancing rule will be reduced to 1m, I doubt there is anything to stop it.

Seems like poor handling again. Instead of sticking with a logical protocol and keeping things in step, they've gone with the lazy approach which only helps raise more exasperated questions than answers.
Call me Sham

-"Governments may think and say as they like, but force cannot be eliminated, and it is the only real and unanswerable power. We are told that the pen is mightier than the sword, but I know which of these weapons I would choose." Sir Adrian Paul Ghislain Carton de Wiart VC, KBE, CB, CMG, DSO.

Nationalism is an infantile disease, it is the measles of humanity.
Darwinish Brentsylvania wrote:Shamhnan Insir started this wonderful tranquility, ALL PRAISE THE SHEPHERD KING

The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:46 am

Ostroeuropa wrote:The Mighty Breakfast Baguette from Spar should be illegal.

Sat in my almost empty house on the laptop waiting to be picked up to go to my new house, but they shall only find a corpse, and it will be too heavy to move.

Who the fuck thought this was a breakfast baguette? I can barely move. Just sat here letting out cries of pain, the tv remote just out of reach so i'm forced to watch endless reruns of judge judy.

In a baguette. Potatoes.

Do not send help, I'm afraid the responders will end up trapped in the room with me watching judge judy forever.

You are now beyond breakfast.
"I never thought in terms of being a leader, i thought very simply in terms of helping people" - John Hume 1937 - 2020

I like Miniature painting, Tanks, English Gals, Video games and most importantly Cheese.

An Alan Smithee Nation
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby An Alan Smithee Nation » Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:48 am

In a baguette. Potatoes.

Cheese seems out of place in a breakfast.

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Postby Ostroeuropa » Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:50 am

The Huskar Social Union wrote:

In a baguette. Potatoes.

You are now beyond breakfast.

MAD MAX: BEYOND BREAKFAST

In a baguette. Potatoes.

Cheese seems out of place in a breakfast.

All of them on their own seem fine as ingredients. It seems like they were like "What if we put a full English in a baguette?" but left out the beans. The problem being it's absolutely dense as fuck, like they've used a car crusher to ram it all in there.

Oh, and no mushrooms. There was only one left, and I want to know who the fuckers are eating these things every day. Maybe it's always new victims.
Last edited by Ostroeuropa on Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ostro.MOV

There is an out of control trolley speeding towards Jeremy Bentham, who is tied to the track. You can pull the lever to cause the trolley to switch tracks, but on the other track is Immanuel Kant. Bentham is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Critique of Pure Reason. Kant is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Principles of Moral Legislation. Both men are shouting at you that they have recently started to reconsider their ethical stances.

The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:54 am

The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:58 am

Do you think England should have its own devolved government?

The Islands of Versilia
Minister

Founded: Feb 21, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby The Islands of Versilia » Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:00 am

The Huskar Social Union wrote:Do you think England should have its own devolved government?

I personally think so, being English myself, though I’m first and foremost a British unionist. Ideally the entirety of this United Kingdom would be treated equally under the British crown, so if Scotland and Wales are devolved then it only makes sense to devolve England as well. It shouldn’t be the centre of the UK but rather an equal nation within the nation.
STÓRRIKIT VÆRSLAND
FactbooksThemesThe User

Palaeolithic and Bronze Age-inspired FanT-MT civilization of humans and vampiresque hominins living peacefully together in a habitable Greenland presided over by a semi-elective phylarchic monarchy with an A S C E N D E D vampiric hominin from Georgia as queen.
Rate me as Prime Minister

An Alan Smithee Nation
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby An Alan Smithee Nation » Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:02 am

The Huskar Social Union wrote:Do you think England should have its own devolved government?

It's always seemed the logical, but very difficult, option if you are going to have devolved parliaments. Though the whole thing has always seemed a bit like adding in another layer of middle management to me.

Do you still keep an overarching UK parliament as well? It seems to me it would be necessary for things like war.
Last edited by An Alan Smithee Nation on Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:05 am, edited 2 times in total.

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Postby Ostroeuropa » Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:03 am

Meh.

I think they should have regional governments. But if they want a devolved one to the nation, that is their choice.
Ostro.MOV

Shamhnan Insir
Minister

Founded: Jul 08, 2013
Father Knows Best State

Postby Shamhnan Insir » Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:05 am

Nah, we've got 4 nations already full of politicians and all that has brought us is more unhappiness. So another parliament of yet more of them will only serve to make more sadness.
Call me Sham

-"Governments may think and say as they like, but force cannot be eliminated, and it is the only real and unanswerable power. We are told that the pen is mightier than the sword, but I know which of these weapons I would choose." Sir Adrian Paul Ghislain Carton de Wiart VC, KBE, CB, CMG, DSO.

Nationalism is an infantile disease, it is the measles of humanity.
Darwinish Brentsylvania wrote:Shamhnan Insir started this wonderful tranquility, ALL PRAISE THE SHEPHERD KING

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:08 am

It's always seemed the logical, but very difficult, option if you are going to have devolved parliaments. Though the whole thing has always seemed a bit like adding in another layer of middle management to me.

Do you still keep an overarching UK parliament as well? It seems to me it would be necessary for things like war.

It would be a bit like Belgium. Many of the stuff is devolved to lower governments. Military, foreign affairs, and a few other things are still a part their of the federal government.

Or not quite as decentralized, then you can take a look at Germany or USA. Though those two countries were "designed" as federations rather than evolved into one.
Last edited by The Blaatschapen on Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Blaatschapen should resign

An Alan Smithee Nation
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby An Alan Smithee Nation » Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:17 am

The Blaatschapen wrote:

It would be a bit like Belgium. Many of the stuff is devolved to lower governments. Military, foreign affairs, and a few other things are still a part their of the federal government.

Or not quite as decentralized, then you can take a look at Germany or USA. Though those two countries were "designed" as federations rather than evolved into one.

Being a bit like Belgium never sounds like a good idea.

The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:18 am

Yeah i dont see why the UK wouldnt keep the UK parliament, it would be necessary imo for things like war etc.

Ive no real opinion on the matter, i support devolved governments for NI, Scotland and Wales so if the English wana have a devolved government alongside the main UK parliament im sure they can work towards it in which case fair play to them, if not meh
Last edited by The Huskar Social Union on Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:18 am

The Blaatschapen wrote:

Being a bit like Belgium never sounds like a good idea.

get dunked on belgium

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General