NATION

PASSWORD

UK Politics Thread XII: The Lockdown

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Should the UK Take a Harder Line Against Russia on the Basis of the ISC Report?

Yes
67%
No
17%
No *vote amended by GRU*
16%

Total votes : 83

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:15 am

Dumb Ideologies wrote:
The Blaatschapen wrote:A good public service. Without statues, bird poop would be everywhere.

If Bristol now turns into a giant ball of bird poop, we know the reason.

I'd make some snarky comment about it already being bird poop but alas I've not had the pleasure of visiting.

Barring the (now former) slaver statue, Bristol isn't that bad.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Kyapo
Envoy

Founded: Jul 16, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Kyapo » Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:41 am

Thanatttynia wrote:
Celritannia wrote:
TV did the same thing when protests were televised. The level of technology does not matter if the injustices have been seen and are then protested about. Yes, the internet is faster, but it seemed as if you were complaining about the online culture as a whole, rather than the speed in which these stories are received.

Again, the statue can be replaced if the council wants it to be, the lives of those lost by wrongful shootings cannot. It's a petty thing to argue about in the grand scheme of things tbh.

Again, the systematic racism in the UK as much as there is in the US. While it is not as prevalent in the UK, but it still happens and it should be targeted nonetheless. Whether is started in the US or not does not matter. What matters is that it is addressed.

And what about the Rebellion v Empire in Star Wars? That has a greater effect on people due to it's impact and wide following than any modern day YA novel.
That's just as silly as to say "video games cause violence".

I'm complaining about online culture as a whole, yes, an integral (and corrosive) part of which is its speed. This is not how we are meant to live. I've never known a world without the ubiquity of television so I can't really feel its effect as keenly as I can that of the internet, but it's a (vast) difference of degree rather than of kind, I agree.

I'm not sure why you're framing this as though we have to choose between the destruction of historic monuments and ending wrongful shootings? It's not an either/or. I entirely appreciate legitimate concerns with the justice system, I'm just rejecting this deranged religious revival movement.

Ofc systemic racism exists in the UK, but it's a nonsense to equate it with that experienced in America. My problem with the Americanisation of our national conversation isn't that I object to such issues being raised - it's based on the simple fact that American 'solutions' to American problems within their specific national context will do nothing to help people over here given that there is a different context, no matter how much people want to deny that. In fact, such ideology seems likely to me to exacerbate what racial tension there is in the UK and fuck up further our already strained communities which have already had to deal with so much.

Again I can only confidently speak to the effects of popular media on my generation. YA has had an appreciable effect from where I'm sitting; 'Star Wars' etc. is before our time. Also video games probably do contribute to violence but (allow me the Americanism) 'y'all ain't ready for that conversation.'

USA cultural colonialism has been erroding us for a while now. It's one of the reasons that leaving the EU was in my opinion a mistake. I don't believe that the UK will be strong enough to resist the corrosive pull of the USA. EU isn't great, the US isn't either, go it on our own yeah right that was never happening.

As for statues, will the British pull down ones of vikings who raped, murdered and enslaved whole parts of the UK? Or Roman statues,I mean they made 18thC slavery look like a bloody tea party.

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:50 am

Dumb Ideologies wrote:
The Blaatschapen wrote:
A good public service. Without statues, bird poop would be everywhere.

If Bristol now turns into a giant ball of bird poop, we know the reason.

I'd make some snarky comment about it already being bird poop but alas I've not had the pleasure of visiting.

I was setting it up for someone to make that snarky comment :blush:
The Blaatschapen should resign

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:00 am

Kyapo wrote:
Thanatttynia wrote:I'm complaining about online culture as a whole, yes, an integral (and corrosive) part of which is its speed. This is not how we are meant to live. I've never known a world without the ubiquity of television so I can't really feel its effect as keenly as I can that of the internet, but it's a (vast) difference of degree rather than of kind, I agree.

I'm not sure why you're framing this as though we have to choose between the destruction of historic monuments and ending wrongful shootings? It's not an either/or. I entirely appreciate legitimate concerns with the justice system, I'm just rejecting this deranged religious revival movement.

Ofc systemic racism exists in the UK, but it's a nonsense to equate it with that experienced in America. My problem with the Americanisation of our national conversation isn't that I object to such issues being raised - it's based on the simple fact that American 'solutions' to American problems within their specific national context will do nothing to help people over here given that there is a different context, no matter how much people want to deny that. In fact, such ideology seems likely to me to exacerbate what racial tension there is in the UK and fuck up further our already strained communities which have already had to deal with so much.

Again I can only confidently speak to the effects of popular media on my generation. YA has had an appreciable effect from where I'm sitting; 'Star Wars' etc. is before our time. Also video games probably do contribute to violence but (allow me the Americanism) 'y'all ain't ready for that conversation.'

USA cultural colonialism has been erroding us for a while now. It's one of the reasons that leaving the EU was in my opinion a mistake. I don't believe that the UK will be strong enough to resist the corrosive pull of the USA. EU isn't great, the US isn't either, go it on our own yeah right that was never happening.

As for statues, will the British pull down ones of vikings who raped, murdered and enslaved whole parts of the UK? Or Roman statues,I mean they made 18thC slavery look like a bloody tea party.

To be fair, tea parties, like statues, also tend to end up in the harbour.
The Blaatschapen should resign

Thanatttynia
Senator

Founded: Nov 10, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Thanatttynia » Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:04 am

Kyapo wrote:
Thanatttynia wrote:I'm complaining about online culture as a whole, yes, an integral (and corrosive) part of which is its speed. This is not how we are meant to live. I've never known a world without the ubiquity of television so I can't really feel its effect as keenly as I can that of the internet, but it's a (vast) difference of degree rather than of kind, I agree.

On the whole I agree re Brexit, but given that is just another front of the culture war I think we'd better accept it and move on. EU as a political project looks increasingly shaky every day so perhaps we really can forge a new close relationship with Europe outside of it, though that would require our political class refraining from sacrificing our interests on the altar of globalism and I'm not sure they can do such a thing.

Re statues you should prob get with the programme: world history began in 1619, Anglos are uniquely evil, nuance is the cardinal sin, etc., etc.
Syng I wolde, butt, alas! decendunt prospera grata.

Chan Island
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:06 am

Shamhnan Insir wrote:What good is there in destroying statues?
Through a modern lens we can of course say the actions of Colston were terrible, however tearing down a statue because it doesn't agree with our modern viewpoint seems wasteful, especially as nothing is being learned by it. Let's face it, how many people involved in that action even knew who the statue depicted was beyond being told on a twitter post? And after it was torn down, how many are really even going to read up on the history of Bristol, Colston or slavery?
And why throw it in a harbour? If they were that pissed off then why not have it melted down and made into something else, it's just stupid vandalism at this point.

We can't escape our history, it's written in blood and horrible deeds just as much as flowery poetry and tales of heroes. Scars of history must be borne or else we'll forget what caused them.

While I don't have any stake in this whole Bristol statue thing, this post needs to be addressed.

Statues are a symbol of both who has power and what values the society has, that's why we put them in prominent places. The Colston statue for example, from what I understand, was placed in the city centre, on a street also named after him to boot. Likewise destroying them is a symbol of rejecting that ideology. Would you say the same thing you are about when the Iraqis destroyed Saddam Hussein statues, or when the people of the Eastern bloc destroyed Lenin monuments?

There's a vast difference between knowing history and celebrating it. Having one up is an inherent celebration of those values, and it's still perfectly easy to learn history without them. I've never seen a statue of countless historical figures in my entire life yet know who they were; Mao, Chamberlain, Mother Theresa, Einstein, Mr Rogers, Hitler, Ghandi... We have innumerable other ways of learning about history and the personalities of those who affect it greatly.

I'd also take issue about the idea that nothing was learned from this. I had no idea who Colston was before this event, and I don't think I'm the only one in that camp. I'd be surprised if the answer wasn't at least in the thousands in fact. Not only that, it's caused me to learn all about Bristol's multiple local campaigns to remove it through proper means, including petitions that have garnered tens of thousands of signatures (in a city of 700k). This also leads me to think it's unlikely the protesters didn't know anything about the man when they tore it down too. Why do you think they targeted that one instead of the nearby statue of Neptune, or the one of 16th century theologian William Tyndale?

Oh, and this idea that somehow the mob could casually bring a smelter with them is beyond absurd. Again, throwing the thing into a harbour is a symbol of rejecting what he stood for, and a damn good photo-op to boot. And, again, there had been multiple peaceful campaigns to remove it before including petitions. Hell, even the mayor is saying he doesn't mind it going. It can always be fished out and melted down later.

History is messy and often horrible, yes. But that doesn't mean we should celebrate or literally put on a pedestal those who committed those acts. Nor does that mean that we should keep them there when we later find out their dark secrets. Britain has an enormous wealth of celebration-worthy characters in its fabulous history. We don't have to only choose between having statues of slave traders and no statues.

Not taking a particular stance here, just explaining you need better arguments.
Last edited by Chan Island on Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=513597&p=39401766#p39401766
Conserative Morality wrote:"It's not time yet" is a tactic used by reactionaries in every era. "It's not time for democracy, it's not time for capitalism, it's not time for emancipation." Of course it's not time. It's never time, not on its own. You make it time. If you're under fire in the no-man's land of WW1, you start digging a foxhole even if the ideal time would be when you *aren't* being bombarded, because once you wait for it to be 'time', other situations will need your attention, assuming you survive that long. If the fields aren't furrowed, plow them. If the iron is not hot, make it so. If society is not ready, change it.

Attancia
Attaché

Founded: May 01, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Attancia » Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:13 am

Hirota wrote:
South Odreria 2 wrote:Can someone tell me if Starmer is doing a good job so far?
Not bad so far. He's had a tough time with the party still deciding that the only opposition that really matters is the opposition in their own ranks, instead of uniting behind their leader. But he's being constructive with Covid-19 dominating everything.

Despite being a Conservative myself, I've seen Starmer masterfully defeat Boris during PMQs (amongst other things). While Boris himself is quite sharp, Kier often holds the edge over him.
"If I had a nickel for every time Attancia attempted to use the media to get the Furbish public on his side but backfired miserably I'd have two nickels...Which isn't a lot but it's weird that it happened twice" -Furbish Islands

"Attancia proved last night that he isn't a clown" -Furbish Islands

"Attancia is slightly less retarded now" -I forgot the name someone in TL discord once

Also...Attancia types too well to be 13, if I'm honest. Something doesn't add up. -Fluvannia

Kyapo
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Kyapo » Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:25 am

I'd say Starmer is doing well so far. I'm not a labour voter, but I can see that he is going to be better at holding the tory feet to the fire better than Corbyn. I hope to see him stopping Boris sneaking stuff past us while virus and protest takes our attention.

Celritannia
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 10, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Celritannia » Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:26 am

Thanatttynia wrote:
Celritannia wrote:
TV did the same thing when protests were televised. The level of technology does not matter if the injustices have been seen and are then protested about. Yes, the internet is faster, but it seemed as if you were complaining about the online culture as a whole, rather than the speed in which these stories are received.

Again, the statue can be replaced if the council wants it to be, the lives of those lost by wrongful shootings cannot. It's a petty thing to argue about in the grand scheme of things tbh.

Again, the systematic racism in the UK as much as there is in the US. While it is not as prevalent in the UK, but it still happens and it should be targeted nonetheless. Whether is started in the US or not does not matter. What matters is that it is addressed.

And what about the Rebellion v Empire in Star Wars? That has a greater effect on people due to it's impact and wide following than any modern day YA novel.
That's just as silly as to say "video games cause violence".

I'm complaining about online culture as a whole, yes, an integral (and corrosive) part of which is its speed. This is not how we are meant to live. I've never known a world without the ubiquity of television so I can't really feel its effect as keenly as I can that of the internet, but it's a (vast) difference of degree rather than of kind, I agree.

So are memes damaging to modern culture now?

I am also not commending nor condoning what the protesters did. What's done is done. It was one specific statue torn down due to the history of the individual. I highly doubt it will lead to further statues being pulled down, as you seem to think it will.

It's not about Americanisation, it's about the problems that have happened.
While it may be a situation in America, it's a concern people have over here as a way to show the US government that the British people are also against what the US is doing. Should all countries just remain in a little bubble?

Star Wars is still watched and enjoyed today, just because it was made years ago does not mean the impact of it is still seen.
Also, please provide evidence YA Novels have lead to an increase of people protesting, along with evidence to show video games do lead to violence.
Last edited by Celritannia on Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

My DeviantArt
Obey
When you annoy a Celritannian
U W0T M8?
Zirkagrad wrote:A person with a penchant for flying lions with long tongues, could possibly be a fan of Kiss. Maybe the classiest nation with a lion with its tongue hanging out. Enjoys only the finest tea.

Nakena wrote:NSG's Most Serene Salad
Citizen of Earth, Commonwealthian, European, British, Yorkshireman.
Atheist, Environmentalist

Agarntrop
Powerbroker

Founded: May 14, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Agarntrop » Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:32 am

Kyapo wrote:I'd say Starmer is doing well so far. I'm not a labour voter, but I can see that he is going to be better at holding the tory feet to the fire better than Corbyn. I hope to see him stopping Boris sneaking stuff past us while virus and protest takes our attention.

Let's hope today is the day labour begins to lead over the tories in polling (the gap has already narrowed quickly to 3%, its inevitable at this rate).

It would be quite ironic considering today is exactly 3 years since we kicked their arses.
Labour Party (UK), Progressive Democrat (US)
Left Without Edge
Former Senator Barry Anderson (R-MO)

Governor Tara Misra (R-KY)

Representative John Atang (D-NY03)

Governor Max Smith (R-AZ)

State Senator Simon Hawkins (D-IA)

Join Land of Hope and Glory - a UK political RP project

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:40 am

Celritannia wrote:So are memes damaging to modern culture now?

Yes.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

Wave on, wave on

Ifreann
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 07, 2005
Iron Fist Socialists

Postby Ifreann » Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:05 am

The Islands of Versilia wrote:
Lost Memories wrote:Talking about statues getting vandalized during black lives matter protests in the UK.
This happened today too:

(Image)

It happened in Westminster.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/h ... 53476.html

"Waah! Waah! A dead man’s racism offends me aaaaahh!"

Yeah, no shit, he was a gung-ho imperialist who burned Pakistani villages and despised Indians. Probably less well known than it ought to be, but honestly, I’m actually getting bloody annoyed at this nonsensical vandalism and protesting in the midst of a fucking pandemic. If people want to show support, they can do it online and waste their money abroad, rather than putting the rest of us in more danger.

Who is endangered by people writing true things on a statue of Churchill?

Shamhnan Insir wrote:What good is there in destroying statues?
Through a modern lens we can of course say the actions of Colston were terrible, however tearing down a statue because it doesn't agree with our modern viewpoint seems wasteful, especially as nothing is being learned by it. Let's face it, how many people involved in that action even knew who the statue depicted was beyond being told on a twitter post? And after it was torn down, how many are really even going to read up on the history of Bristol, Colston or slavery?

Well if people were ignorant about Colston before the statue was torn down then clearly the presence of the statue was not inspiring people to research the man. So the absence of the statue won't be any loss to the general knowledge of the people of Bristol.

And why throw it in a harbour? If they were that pissed off then why not have it melted down and made into something else, it's just stupid vandalism at this point.

I imagine they threw it in the harbour because that was a convenient way to express their disdain for the lionisation of a slave trader. Melting the statue down would have been very difficult, time-consuming, and extremely dangerous.

We can't escape our history, it's written in blood and horrible deeds just as much as flowery poetry and tales of heroes. Scars of history must be borne or else we'll forget what caused them.

It's very silly to think that Colston's statue was torn down and dumped in the harbour because people want to forget the past. Very obviously the opposite is true. People tore the statue down because they know full well his history and they are not willing to gloss over his involvement in a historical atrocity on the basis of his philanthropy.
He/Him

beating the devil
we never run from the devil
we never summon the devil
we never hide from from the devil
we never

The Islands of Versilia
Minister

Founded: Feb 21, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby The Islands of Versilia » Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:09 am

Ifreann wrote:
"Waah! Waah! A dead man’s racism offends me aaaaahh!"

Yeah, no shit, he was a gung-ho imperialist who burned Pakistani villages and despised Indians. Probably less well known than it ought to be, but honestly, I’m actually getting bloody annoyed at this nonsensical vandalism and protesting in the midst of a fucking pandemic. If people want to show support, they can do it online and waste their money abroad, rather than putting the rest of us in more danger.

Who is endangered by people writing true things on a statue of Churchill?

It’s vandalism, plain and simple. Thuggish mob shite.
STÓRRIKIT VÆRSLAND
FactbooksThemesThe User

Palaeolithic and Bronze Age-inspired FanT-MT civilization of humans and vampiresque hominins living peacefully together in a habitable Greenland presided over by a semi-elective phylarchic monarchy with an A S C E N D E D vampiric hominin from Georgia as queen.
Rate me as Prime Minister

Ifreann
Post Overlord

Iron Fist Socialists

Postby Ifreann » Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:15 am

Ifreann wrote:Who is endangered by people writing true things on a statue of Churchill?

But who is endangered by it? Are you going to die because someone wrote that Churchill is a racist on a statue of Churchill instead of writing it on Facebook?
He/Him

beating the devil
we never

The Islands of Versilia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Islands of Versilia » Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:17 am

Ifreann wrote:

But who is endangered by it? Are you going to die because someone wrote that Churchill is a racist on a statue of Churchill instead of writing it on Facebook?

It’s a waste of taxpayer money having to get people to clean them, thuggish behaviour to deface them in the first place, and damage to public property. It’s improper, in my view, for Britons to act so uncivilised.
STÓRRIKIT VÆRSLAND
FactbooksThemesThe User

Palaeolithic and Bronze Age-inspired FanT-MT civilization of humans and vampiresque hominins living peacefully together in a habitable Greenland presided over by a semi-elective phylarchic monarchy with an A S C E N D E D vampiric hominin from Georgia as queen.

An Alan Smithee Nation
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 18, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby An Alan Smithee Nation » Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:19 am

Ifreann wrote:Who is endangered by people writing true things on a statue of Churchill?

Member of the Bullingdon Club, Boris Johnson, complaining about people vandalising things is a bit rich.
Everything is intertwinkled

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:25 am

The Islands of Versilia wrote:It’s improper, in my view, for Britons to act so uncivilised.

Wave on, wave on

Thanatttynia
Senator

Founded: Nov 10, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Thanatttynia » Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:30 am

Celritannia wrote:

So are memes damaging to modern culture now?

I am also not commending nor condoning what the protesters did. What's done is done. It was one specific statue torn down due to the history of the individual. I highly doubt it will lead to further statues being pulled down, as you seem to think it will.

It's not about Americanisation, it's about the problems that have happened.
While it may be a situation in America, it's a concern people have over here as a way to show the US government that the British people are also against what the US is doing. Should all countries just remain in a little bubble?

Star Wars is still watched and enjoyed today, just because it was made years ago does not mean the impact of it is still seen.
Also, please provide evidence YA Novels have lead to an increase of people protesting, along with evidence to show video games do lead to violence.

A peaceful protest in solidarity with the victims of American police brutality? Fine. Severely injuring police officers and desecrating memorials based on a dangerous and false luxury ideology imported wholesale with no thought to the reality of life in this country is some ways off that.

No chance we're at the end of the line with these idiotic statue fights either. There's a Rhodes Must Fall protest occurring tomorrow in front of a statue of Rhodes at Oriel College, Oxford. We've seen what happened with the statue of Churchill in Parliament Square already.

Yes, (internet) memes are a damaging part of modern culture. The YA comment was an observation, I have no scientific studies on hand to back it up. Video games debate is off-topic; we'll agree to disagree.
Syng I wolde, butt, alas! decendunt prospera grata.

Ifreann
Post Overlord

Iron Fist Socialists

Postby Ifreann » Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:32 am

Ifreann wrote:But who is endangered by it? Are you going to die because someone wrote that Churchill is a racist on a statue of Churchill instead of writing it on Facebook?

It’s a waste of taxpayer money having to get people to clean them, thuggish behaviour to deface them in the first place, and damage to public property. It’s improper, in my view, for Britons to act so uncivilised.

But who is endangered by it?

Look, I'll save you some time. If you meant to only refer to the protests as endangering people, but you oppose vandalism for other reasons, then you can just say so. If you do really mean that vandalism somehow endangers people then just explain how instead of listing all the other things about vandalism that make you mad. I understand and accept that you think very little of vandals. Message received.
He/Him

beating the devil
we never

The Islands of Versilia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Islands of Versilia » Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:55 am

An Alan Smithee Nation wrote:

Member of the Bullingdon Club, Boris Johnson, complaining about people vandalising things is a bit rich.

I’ve no love for the Prime Minister. I personally despise him.

The New California Republic wrote:
The Islands of Versilia wrote:It’s improper, in my view, for Britons to act so uncivilised.

I admit I may expect too much from my kinsmen.

Ifreann wrote:

But who is endangered by it?

Look, I'll save you some time. If you meant to only refer to the protests as endangering people, but you oppose vandalism for other reasons, then you can just say so. If you do really mean that vandalism somehow endangers people then just explain how instead of listing all the other things about vandalism that make you mad. I understand and accept that you think very little of vandals. Message received.

I personally view the protests as endangering people because of the ongoing pandemic and the threat still posed by it. I oppose the vandalism for other reasons, principally because I view them as thuggish and uncivilised in general.
Last edited by The Islands of Versilia on Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
STÓRRIKIT VÆRSLAND
FactbooksThemesThe User

Lost Memories
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 29, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Lost Memories » Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:14 am

With that reasoning i guess you would have no objections to random people writing on your car and front door something inflamatory but true. It would be true, afterall.

Or for a more close example, a mob writing on the tombstone of your grandma (great-grandmother, if you are lucky enough to have your grandma still alive)
"Ifreann's grandma was a racist"

Who would get endangered there? True things written on a piece of stone, what's the harm there?
(but that example assumes, you did care even one bit about your grandma, it's hard to make examples of insensitivity to insensitive persons)

Hint, asking who gets endangered by vandalism is just shifting the point.
Art and books getting destroyed doesn't harm anyone physically. Is it reprehensible? Absolutely.

If instead your confusion was only about "rather than putting the rest of us in more danger."
It's cause we are in the middle of a pandemic, DUH. And the UK isn't shining there, to start with. (UK is very close now to get past Spain for total number of infections)

Not like it's really worth having this discussion about value of history and cultural identity here, not surprised at all some would try to defend that vandalism here, afterall, the mindset of those vandals isn't to far detached from the general mindset often seen in this forum. If you guys were less lazy you could have been out there with them, have some selfies, vandalize some statues of historical figures you know little about, and generally have a good time after some stressful and boring weeks caused by that virus pandemic limiting your access to getting an education and personal freedumbs.

All that said, i'm not even a briton, but seeing a statue of a very important historical figure like that getting trivialized (moreso than getting vandalized) is saddening. Really hope this new brand of American imported cultural shit won't spill over the rest of europe.
(elsewhere in europe there have been similar "protests", but at least the level doesn't seem to have stepped so low as to disrespect our own history and give up civilty, well aside Sweden, they had some looting during their protests there)
http://www.politicaltest.net/test/result/222881/

hmag

pagan american empireLiberalism is a LieWhat is Hell

"The whole is something else than the sum of its parts" -Kurt Koffka

A fox tried to reach some grapes hanging high on the vine, but was unable to.
As he went away, the fox remarked 'Oh, you aren't even ripe yet!'
As such are people who speak disparagingly of things that they cannot attain.
-The Fox and the Grapes

"Dictionaries don't decide what words mean. Prescriptivism is the ultimate form of elitism." -United Muscovite Nations
or subtle illiteracy, or lazy sidetracking. Just fucking follow the context. And ask when in doubt.

Not-asimov

We're all a bit stupid and ignorant, just be humble about it.

Auristania
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Auristania » Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:19 pm

The Blaatschapen wrote:
Kyapo wrote:
To be fair, tea parties, like statues, also tend to end up in the harbour.

:clap: :hug: :clap:

Kyapo
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Kyapo » Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:36 pm

Auristania wrote:
The Blaatschapen wrote:

:clap: :hug: :clap:

:lol: True, last time there was a tea party and a harbour we ended up with the USA, so not a great advert there :p

Questarian New Yorkshire
Minister

Founded: Nov 08, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Questarian New Yorkshire » Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:15 pm

Riots should be squashed by the authorities before there is any more criminal damage
REST IN PEACE RWDT & LWDT
I'm just a poor wayfaring stranger, traveling through this world below
There is no sickness, no toil, nor danger, in that bright land to which I go
I'm going there to see my Father, and all my loved ones who've gone on
I'm only going over Jordan, I'm only going over home

I know dark clouds will gather 'round me, I know my way is hard and steep
But beauteous fields arise before me, where God's redeemed, their vigils keep

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:18 pm

That's what they are doing already.

Wave on, wave on

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General