NATION

PASSWORD

UK Politics Thread XII: The Lockdown

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Should the UK Take a Harder Line Against Russia on the Basis of the ISC Report?

Yes
67%
No
17%
No *vote amended by GRU*
16%

Total votes : 83

Souseiseki
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 12, 2012
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Souseiseki » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:43 pm

Ostroeuropa wrote:Just because the left asserts it's a neo-Nazi thing to avoid engaging with the idea doesn't mean the right has to treat that assertion as valid.

Cultural Marxism is a shorthand description of intersectional identity politics that doubles up with comparing it to the Marxist class struggle and oppressor-oppressed dynamic, and an implication of this being divisive, negative, and so on. That's how plenty of people use it, and they're not Nazis.

You may as well claim globalism is by definition anti-Semitic as a term because Nazis mean Jews when they say it.

As far as i'm concerned this is a TERF issue. If cultural Marxists don't like the term, they should supply their own one to describe themselves rather than pretending they don't exist as a distinct group separate from others they pretend to be the same as.

the problem is that TERF is a real thing. they are trans-exclusive and they are radical feminists. putting aside all the people that aren't actually feminist but jumped on the bandwagon to have a socially acceptable excuse to shit on transpeople they just claim to be mad about it because it sounds bad. cultural marxism, on the other hand, has never been an ideology in the way that these people use it. all the stuff you've just said is "people who don't understand marxism". you shouldn't be doing anything except saying "no that's not how marxism works" and be done with it.

e: and consequently there are no cultural marxists to not like the term, because they do not exist.

e2: and yes having members of your government chatting shit about a conspiracy theory invented by nazis that does not exist is worrying!
Last edited by Souseiseki on Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ask moderation about reading serious moderation candidates TGs without telling them about it until afterwards and/or apparently refusing to confirm/deny the exact timeline of TG reading ~~~ i hope you never sent any of the recent mods or the ones that got really close anything personal!

signature edit: confirmation has been received. they will explicitly do it before and without asking. they can look at TGs basically whenever they want so please keep this in mind when nominating people for moderator or TGing good posters/anyone!
T <---- THE INFAMOUS T

Druing
Spokesperson

Founded: Jan 16, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Druing » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:45 pm

Salandriagado wrote:
Druing wrote:earlier, you supported the clear implication that because these people with these beliefs support this thing, this thing is then associated with those beliefs:

TIL I'm Cerinda.

a bit of a strawman there since that's not what i was getting at, i should have made that clearer; but as it turns out, i was wrong in what i said anyway, since it's evident you didn't support that earlier in the conversation contrary to what i said. sorry:

Druing wrote:
Cerinda wrote:This is also comes with the fact that Boris Johnson's government has the support of far-right nationalists like Tommy Robinson and Katie Hopkins, along with Britain First who are actual fascists.

...guilt by association?

Druing wrote:
Vassenor wrote:Pointing out that the party is actively courting the support of the far right is guilt by association?

it isn't but that's not what was being 'pointed out' nor is that the case. it's literally a case of them being like "i support this" and them (the tory party) not having a response to it

Druing wrote:
Vassenor wrote:So it's just a massive coincidence that the party has the support of notable far right groups and MPs spouting anti-semitic conspiracies.

yes.

Salandriagado wrote:
Druing wrote:yes.

It stops being a coincidence when you give them a job and invite them to cabinet meetings.

Salandriagado wrote:
Druing wrote:
not being bothered who does and doesn't support you doesn't automatically lead to that.

I never said it did. I said that Johnson did do that.

Salandriagado wrote:
i'm under the impression that the original accusation was not that it was antisemitic, but rather more an accusation of jrm courting a conspiracy theory, in particular, the very fictional illuminati and that he accused his fellows of being members of them, in which i believe we resolved earlier that it was an accusation of conspiracy using the name as part of an expression.

An antisemitic conspiracy theory.

am i understanding the accusation wrong then, and that instead the case is, jrm is antisemitic for reason being; he opposed people's actions as MPs and the nature of the antisemitism is that the specific people being opposed in this instance practice judaism?

or am i wrong here as well?

We're accusing him of being antisemitic because he's propagating an antisemitic conspiracy theory. This is not rocket science.

it definitely seems like it right now, because i am very lost.
| Incredible Inputs from Druing (Nation correlates with IRL views but there's also some banter so do what you will with that)
Former President of The Union of Democratic States, Founder & Magistrate Maximus of the Legislative Complex of Grand Magistrates - (Posts are not typically the official position of either region)
Radical Far Left Extremist, English, Against Big Government, Against Big Corporations, Anti-EU
Economic Left/Right: +0.25 ¦ Social-Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.44

Hirota
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 22, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Hirota » Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:29 pm

Thornberry is out of the race.

Probably for the best, she might have done a decent job in opposition, but people will remember her the same as Gordon Brown; sneering at the working class. She wouldn't have got Labours core voters back.
When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger - Confucius
Known to trigger Grammar Nazis, Spelling Nazis, Actual Nazis, the emotionally stunted and pedants.
Those affected by the views, opinions or general demeanour of this poster should review this puppy picture. Those affected by puppy pictures should consider investing in an isolation tank.

Economic Left/Right: -3.25, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.03
Isn't it curious how people will claim they are against tribalism, then pigeonhole themselves into tribes?

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
I use obviously in italics to emphasise the conveying of sarcasm. If I've put excessive obviously's into a post that means I'm being sarcastic

Salandriagado
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 03, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Salandriagado » Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:55 pm

Druing wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:
TIL I'm Cerinda.

a bit of a strawman there since that's not what i was getting at, i should have made that clearer;

You claimed that I said a thing, and your evidence to support this was Cerinda saying that thing. Pointing out that I'm not Cerinda in such a situation is not even remotely a strawman.

but as it turns out, i was wrong in what i said anyway, since it's evident you didn't support that earlier in the conversation contrary to what i said. sorry:

Druing wrote:
...guilt by association?

Druing wrote:
it isn't but that's not what was being 'pointed out' nor is that the case. it's literally a case of them being like "i support this" and them (the tory party) not having a response to it

Druing wrote:
yes.

Salandriagado wrote:
It stops being a coincidence when you give them a job and invite them to cabinet meetings.

Salandriagado wrote:
I never said it did. I said that Johnson did do that.

Salandriagado wrote:An antisemitic conspiracy theory.

We're accusing him of being antisemitic because he's propagating an antisemitic conspiracy theory. This is not rocket science.

He spouted a "jews secretly control the world" conspiracy theory. That's antisemitic. What's not to get?
Last edited by Salandriagado on Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cosara wrote:
Anachronous Rex wrote:Good thing most a majority of people aren't so small-minded, and frightened of other's sexuality.

Over 40% (including me), are, so I fixed the post for accuracy.

Vilatania wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:
Notice that the link is to the notes from a university course on probability. You clearly have nothing beyond the most absurdly simplistic understanding of the subject.
By choosing 1, you no longer have 0 probability of choosing 1. End of subject.

(read up the quote stack)

Deal. £3000 do?[/quote]

Of course.[/quote]

Druing
Spokesperson

Founded: Jan 16, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Druing » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:09 pm

Salandriagado wrote:
Druing wrote:
a bit of a strawman there since that's not what i was getting at, i should have made that clearer;

You claimed that I said a thing, and your evidence to support this was Cerinda saying that thing. Pointing out that I'm not Cerinda in such a situation is not even remotely a strawman.

...no. that's not what i was doing. i was trying to call back to your earlier participation in the discussion by using the initial quote that we were responding to.

Salandriagado wrote:
Druing wrote:

He spouted a "jews secretly control the world" conspiracy theory. That's antisemitic. What's not to get?

when?
Last edited by Druing on Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
| Incredible Inputs from Druing (Nation correlates with IRL views but there's also some banter so do what you will with that)
Former President of The Union of Democratic States, Founder & Magistrate Maximus of the Legislative Complex of Grand Magistrates - (Posts are not typically the official position of either region)
Radical Far Left Extremist, English, Against Big Government, Against Big Corporations, Anti-EU
Economic Left/Right: +0.25 ¦ Social-Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.44

Purgatio
Negotiator

Founded: May 18, 2018
Corporate Police State

Postby Purgatio » Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:04 am

Hirota wrote:Thornberry is out of the race.

Probably for the best, she might have done a decent job in opposition, but people will remember her the same as Gordon Brown; sneering at the working class. She wouldn't have got Labours core voters back.

If many prominent British politicians keep sneering at the British working-class, its because the British working-class keeps doing and saying and engaging in behaviour that attracts such sneering in the first place. A truly dignified bunch of people wouldn't even attract the sneering contempt of those in power in the first place.
Purgatio is an absolutist hereditary monarchy run as a one-party fascist dictatorship, which seized power in a sudden and abrupt coup d'état of 1987-1988, on an authoritarian eugenic and socially Darwinistic political philosophy and ideology, now ruled and dominated with a brutal iron fist under the watchful reign of Le Grand Roi Chalon-Arlay de la Fayette and La Grande Reine Geneviève de la Fayette (née Aumont) (i.e., the 'Founding Couple' or Le Couple Fondateur).

For a domestic Purgation 'propagandist' view of its role in the world, see: An Introduction to Purgatio.

And for a more 'objective' international perspective on Purgatio's history, culture, and politics, see: A Brief Overview of the History, Politics, and Culture of Le Royaume du Nettoyage de la Purgatio.

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:43 am

Purgatio wrote:

If many prominent British politicians keep sneering at the British working-class, its because the British working-class keeps doing and saying and engaging in behaviour that attracts such sneering in the first place. A truly dignified bunch of people wouldn't even attract the sneering contempt of those in power in the first place.

Oh, yes. All those commons, daring to be poor, daring to have poor educations from those dreadful "sink schools", schools in working class areas that have been underfunded for generations. All those horrid people deserve sneering at (*sigh*) -- so horribly poor and with such frightfully low aspirations, after being so repulsive as to graduate from said underfunded schools with few, if any, qualifications.

How dare they grow up housed -- well, warehoused, really -- in used office blocks and not be dignified enough to be grateful, perky Cockney types from 1940s movies.

Poverty breeds antisocial behaviour.

But that's not the fault of governments that have not built housing, preferring to cram families into converted containers. Oh no. It's nothing to do with the governments that have underfunded education. No-no. It's nothing to do with governments that have let child poverty grow to above 50% in 10 UK constituencies, with more than 4 in 10 children being below the poverty line in a further 27 local councils. Couldn't be.

It's just that those poors are so... undignified. :eyebrow:
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:57 am, edited 3 times in total.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

My nation does not represent my beliefs or politics.

Albrenia
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Albrenia » Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:04 am

Purgatio wrote:

I'm hoping this is sarcasm.

Purgatio
Negotiator

Corporate Police State

Postby Purgatio » Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:06 am

The Free Joy State wrote:
Purgatio wrote:

Oh, yes. All those commons, daring to be poor, daring to have poor educations from those dreadful "sink schools", schools in working class areas that have been underfunded for generations. All those horrid people deserve sneering at (*sigh*) -- so horribly poor and with such frightfully low aspirations, after being so repulsive as to graduate from said underfunded schools with few, if any, qualifications.

How dare they grow up housed -- well, warehoused, really -- in used office blocks and not be dignified enough to be grateful, perky Cockney types from 1940s movies.

But that's not the fault of governments that have not built housing, preferring to cram families into converted containers. Oh no. It's nothing to do with the governments that have underfunded education. No-no. It's nothing to do with governments that have let child poverty grow to above 50% in 10 UK constituencies, with more than 4 in 10 children being below the poverty line in a further 27 local councils. Couldn't be.

How is that any of that society's problem, hmm?
Purgatio is an absolutist hereditary monarchy run as a one-party fascist dictatorship, which seized power in a sudden and abrupt coup d'état of 1987-1988, on an authoritarian eugenic and socially Darwinistic political philosophy and ideology, now ruled and dominated with a brutal iron fist under the watchful reign of Le Grand Roi Chalon-Arlay de la Fayette and La Grande Reine Geneviève de la Fayette (née Aumont) (i.e., the 'Founding Couple' or Le Couple Fondateur).

For a domestic Purgation 'propagandist' view of its role in the world, see: An Introduction to Purgatio.

And for a more 'objective' international perspective on Purgatio's history, culture, and politics, see: A Brief Overview of the History, Politics, and Culture of Le Royaume du Nettoyage de la Purgatio.

Purgatio
Negotiator

Corporate Police State

Postby Purgatio » Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:08 am

Albrenia wrote:
Purgatio wrote:

Why would it be? Do you see British politicians getting accused of hating the rich and upper class, or insulting the upper-middle class, or sneering at the middle-class?

No, its always endless whining about how this politician hates the working-class or that politician has contempt for the working-class. Bah, whatever. I'm so tired of this talking point. Maybe if so many politicians dislike the working-class, ever wonder if maybe the politicians aren't the problem? That its the working-class thats behaving in ways that attract such contempt in the first place?
Last edited by Purgatio on Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Albrenia
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Albrenia » Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:11 am

Purgatio wrote:
Albrenia wrote:

Why would it be? Do you see British politicians getting accused of hating the rich and upper class, or insulting the upper-middle class, or sneering at the middle-class?

No, its always endless whining about how this politician hates the working-class or that politician has contempt for the working-class. Bah, whatever. I'm so tired of this talking point. Maybe if so many politicians dislike the working-class, ever wonder if maybe the politicians aren't the problem? That its the working-class thats behaving in ways that attract such contempt in the first place?

Oh boy.

Yes, obviously when people arbitrarily decide that millions of people are collectively scum due to their income level, it is the millions of people who are at fault and not the person making the over-generalisation.

By the way, that was sarcasm.

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:15 am

Purgatio wrote:
The Free Joy State wrote:Oh, yes. All those commons, daring to be poor, daring to have poor educations from those dreadful "sink schools", schools in working class areas that have been underfunded for generations. All those horrid people deserve sneering at (*sigh*) -- so horribly poor and with such frightfully low aspirations, after being so repulsive as to graduate from said underfunded schools with few, if any, qualifications.

Times like this, I would love the facepalm smiley.

Poverty breeds antisocial behaviour. Uneducated people are four times more likely to be unemployed. Ignoring the moral social imperative of caring for the elderly, the sick and the vulnerable, it is in society's best interest to prevent poverty -- which will prevent antisocial behaviour and crime; and in society's best interest to provide a good education for all, which will reduce unemployment.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

My nation does not represent my beliefs or politics.

Gormwood
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 25, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Gormwood » Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:22 am

Purgatio wrote:

You're talking to someone who fancies himself a Dickens character turning up his nose at the scruffy underclass and street urchins.
Bloodthirsty savages who call for violence against the Right while simultaneously being unarmed defenseless sissies who will get slaughtered by the gun-toting Right in a civil war.
Breath So Bad, It Actually Drives People Mad

Philjia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 15, 2014
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Philjia » Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:08 am

Actual misogynist white supremacist and eugenics advocate Andrew Sabisky hired as advisor for No 10. https://twitter.com/ianbirrell/status/1 ... 42369?s=19
Last edited by Philjia on Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

⚧ Trans rights. ⚧
Pragmatic ethical utopian socialist, IE I'm for whatever kind of socialism is the most moral and practical. Pro LGBT rights and gay marriage, pro gay adoption, generally internationalist, ambivalent on the EU, atheist, pro free speech and expression, pro legalisation of prostitution and soft drugs, and pro choice. Anti authoritarian, anti Marxist. White cishet male.

Hydesland
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 28, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Hydesland » Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:20 am

Philjia wrote:Actual misogynist white supremacist and eugenics advocate Andrew Sabisky hired as advisor for No 10. https://twitter.com/ianbirrell/status/1 ... 42369?s=19

How long until he's sacked? I think it depends; if the controversy and outrage continues for another day or two he'll probably be gone by Tuesday. Alternatively the whole thing could blow over due to (social) media amnesia or some new controversy and he stays on permanently.

True Refuge
Senator

Founded: Jul 14, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby True Refuge » Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:29 am

Purgatio wrote:
The Free Joy State wrote:Oh, yes. All those commons, daring to be poor, daring to have poor educations from those dreadful "sink schools", schools in working class areas that have been underfunded for generations. All those horrid people deserve sneering at (*sigh*) -- so horribly poor and with such frightfully low aspirations, after being so repulsive as to graduate from said underfunded schools with few, if any, qualifications.

The rich can't siphon off surplus value if the squalor stops the unwashed poors from making value.
COMMUNIST
"If we have food, he will eat. If we have air, he will breathe. If we have fuel, he will fly." - Becky Chambers, Record of a Spaceborn Few
"One does not need to be surprised then, when 26 years later the outrageous slogan is repeated, which we Marxists burned all bridges with: to “pick up” the banner of the bourgeoisie. - International Communist Party, Dialogue with Stalin.

ML, anarchism, co-operativism (known incorrectly as "Market Socialism"), Proudhonism, radical liberalism, utopianism, social democracy, national capitalism, Maoism, etc. are not communist tendencies. Read a book already.

Philjia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 15, 2014
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Philjia » Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:30 am

Hydesland wrote:
Philjia wrote:Actual misogynist white supremacist and eugenics advocate Andrew Sabisky hired as advisor for No 10. https://twitter.com/ianbirrell/status/1 ... 42369?s=19

How long until he's sacked? I think it depends; if the controversy and outrage continues for another day or two he'll probably be gone by Tuesday. Alternatively the whole thing could blow over due to (social) media amnesia or some new controversy and he stays on permanently.

I think the latter is more likely.

⚧ Trans rights. ⚧
Pragmatic ethical utopian socialist, IE I'm for whatever kind of socialism is the most moral and practical. Pro LGBT rights and gay marriage, pro gay adoption, generally internationalist, ambivalent on the EU, atheist, pro free speech and expression, pro legalisation of prostitution and soft drugs, and pro choice. Anti authoritarian, anti Marxist. White cishet male.

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:32 am

And now Richard Dawkins is shilling for eugenics as well.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jun 14, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Ostroeuropa » Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:40 am

Nothing about that quote in particular is egregious or inaccurate. That is indeed the definition of Eugenics and the parts about intelligence are also true. I'd need to see more before concluding he's actually in favor of Eugenics. The selection of positive traits by Eugenics as a goal can be acknowledged before being criticized.

"Intelligence is largely inherited" is the bit that is troublesome. The study of heritability of intelligence would back him up, suggesting most of your intelligence is heritable. However, the way heritable is used in the field of genetics is not how we would use it in common parlance, because environments are also heritable. When they mean genetic, they say genetic. Heritable simply means you can trace it down family lines for one reason or another.

There's a few possibilities as to what he meant and why he said it.
Last edited by Ostroeuropa on Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ostro.MOV

There is an out of control trolley speeding towards Jeremy Bentham, who is tied to the track. You can pull the lever to cause the trolley to switch tracks, but on the other track is Immanuel Kant. Bentham is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Critique of Pure Reason. Kant is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Principles of Moral Legislation. Both men are shouting at you that they have recently started to reconsider their ethical stances.

The World Capitalist Confederation
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 07, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby The World Capitalist Confederation » Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:40 am

Souseiseki wrote:
Ostroeuropa wrote:Just because the left asserts it's a neo-Nazi thing to avoid engaging with the idea doesn't mean the right has to treat that assertion as valid.

Cultural Marxism is a shorthand description of intersectional identity politics that doubles up with comparing it to the Marxist class struggle and oppressor-oppressed dynamic, and an implication of this being divisive, negative, and so on. That's how plenty of people use it, and they're not Nazis.

You may as well claim globalism is by definition anti-Semitic as a term because Nazis mean Jews when they say it.

As far as i'm concerned this is a TERF issue. If cultural Marxists don't like the term, they should supply their own one to describe themselves rather than pretending they don't exist as a distinct group separate from others they pretend to be the same as.

the problem is that TERF is a real thing. they are trans-exclusive and they are radical feminists. putting aside all the people that aren't actually feminist but jumped on the bandwagon to have a socially acceptable excuse to shit on transpeople they just claim to be mad about it because it sounds bad. cultural marxism, on the other hand, has never been an ideology in the way that these people use it. all the stuff you've just said is "people who don't understand marxism". you shouldn't be doing anything except saying "no that's not how marxism works" and be done with it.

e: and consequently there are no cultural marxists to not like the term, because they do not exist.

e2: and yes having members of your government chatting shit about a conspiracy theory invented by nazis that does not exist is worrying!

They do exist. I'm a supporter of the theory myself. Cultural Marxism isn't a conspiracy theory, it's the belief that capitalism controls culture, and that all national identities will eventually become subsumed in consumerism or become consumerism itself, like the United States has today.

It's just that Neo-Nazis somehow think we're all Orwellian Jews sucking off some non-existent ultra-tankie Jewish Stalin.
Please Watch
“We could manage to survive without the money changers and stockbrokers, but we would rather find it difficult to survive without miners, steel workers and those who cultivate the land.” - Nye Bevan, Minister of Health under Clement Attlee

“The mutual-aid tendency in man has so remote an origin, and is so deeply interwoven with all the past evolution of the human race, that is has been maintained by mankind up to the present time, notwithstanding all vicissitudes of history.” - Peter Krotopkin, evolutionary biologist and political writer.

Hydesland
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Hydesland » Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:44 am

Ostroeuropa wrote:

Nothing about that quote in particular is egregious or inaccurate. That is indeed the definition of Eugenics and the parts about intelligence are also true. I'd need to see more before concluding he's actually in favor of Eugenics. The selection of positive traits by Eugenics as a goal can be acknowledged before being criticized.

It's not just that one quote though, people have managed to dig up dozens of worse statements, there's some in that thread.

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jun 14, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Ostroeuropa » Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:46 am

Hydesland wrote:
Ostroeuropa wrote:

It's not just that one quote though, people have managed to dig up dozens of worse statements, there's some in that thread.

His other statements incline me toward thinking he's not a eugenicist, just a bit of a heartless min-maxer. His support for transhumanesque drug regimes for children to boost their intelligence and minimize their need for sleep at the cost of some of them dying strikes me less in terms of classical genetics style eugenicism and more in terms of a kind of sociological eugenics, where he's prepared to impose a policy to improve the species performance overall at the cost of some deaths. That is not all that different from political policy in general when you get right down to it.

It's feasibly something I could support if there were cost-benefit analysis put into it and projections of how much the drug regime would benefit us in terms of economy and so on and whether those outweigh the costs of the deaths. (Much like we accept higher speed limits despite knowing they cause deaths.).

He's also noted some sociological factors in poor outcomes for children, especially poorer children, noting that expanding hours in the classroom could greatly benefit the most vulnerable as well as improve our overall intelligence as a nation. That strongly suggests he does not view things as rigidly determined by genetics and so on.

Which statements specifically are you opposed to?
Last edited by Ostroeuropa on Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:53 am, edited 3 times in total.
Ostro.MOV

There is an out of control trolley speeding towards Jeremy Bentham, who is tied to the track. You can pull the lever to cause the trolley to switch tracks, but on the other track is Immanuel Kant. Bentham is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Critique of Pure Reason. Kant is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Principles of Moral Legislation. Both men are shouting at you that they have recently started to reconsider their ethical stances.

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:55 am

Purgatio wrote:How is that any of that society's problem, hmm?

Times like this, I would love the facepalm smiley.

Poverty breeds antisocial behaviour. Uneducated people are four times more likely to be unemployed. Ignoring the moral social imperative of caring for the elderly, the sick and the vulnerable, it is in society's best interest to prevent poverty -- which will prevent antisocial behaviour and crime; and in society's best interest to provide a good education for all, which will reduce unemployment.

Shall I lobby for it to be reinstated? :p
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Eastfield Lodge
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 23, 2008
Democratic Socialists

Postby Eastfield Lodge » Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:58 am

Ostroeuropa wrote:
Hydesland wrote:

His other statements incline me toward thinking he's not a eugenicist, just a bit of a heartless min-maxer. His support for transhumanesque drug regimes for children to boost their intelligence and minimize their need for sleep at the cost of some of them dying strikes me less in terms of classical genetics style eugenicism and more in terms of a kind of sociological eugenics, where he's prepared to impose a policy to improve the species performance overall at the cost of some deaths. That is not all that different from political policy in general when you get right down to it.

It's feasibly something I could support if there were cost-benefit analysis put into it and projections of how much the drug regime would benefit us in terms of economy and so on and whether those outweigh the costs of the deaths. (Much like we accept higher speed limits despite knowing they cause deaths.).

He's also noted some sociological factors in poor outcomes for children, especially poorer children, noting that expanding hours in the classroom could greatly benefit the most vulnerable as well as improve our overall intelligence as a nation. That strongly suggests he does not view things as rigidly determined by genetics and so on.

Which statements specifically are you opposed to?

How about his comments that long-term contraception should be mandatory at puberty in order to stop unplanned pregnancies creating an underclass population?
Economic Left/Right: -5.01 (formerly -5.88)
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.31 (formerly 2.36)
ISideWith UK
My motto translates to: "All Eat Fish and Chips!"
First person to post the 10,000th reply to a thread on these forums.
International Geese Brigade - Celebrating 0 Radiation and 3rd Place!
info to be added
stuff to be added
This nation partially represents my political, social and economic views.

Hydesland
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Hydesland » Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:02 am

Ostroeuropa wrote:Which statements specifically are you opposed to?

Do you think it's politically sustainable for the government to employ an advisor who publicly writes about how a 'far greater percentage of blacks' have 'mild mental retardation'? Or who publicly ponders about whether women should be forced to take the pill to prevent working class women from breeding too much? Regardless of whether you agree with those positions, how is Downing Street going to explain what they need his advice on exactly?

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General