NATION

PASSWORD

UK Politics Thread XII: The Lockdown

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Should the UK Take a Harder Line Against Russia on the Basis of the ISC Report?

Yes
67%
No
17%
No *vote amended by GRU*
16%

Total votes : 83

Souseiseki
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 12, 2012
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Souseiseki » Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:48 pm

Agarntrop wrote:
Souseiseki wrote:what if we lie our asses off so that shetland votes to stay then leave the UK, join the EU, shout HAHAHA ONCE IN A GENERATION LOSERS at them if they ask for another vote then openly gloat about how hard it will be for them to leave scotland and the EU and try rejoin the UK once the deed has been done

that's a good idea right

remember when people posted all the stats about how brexit would make the UK measurable worse off for leave voting areas and they didn't give a shit lol

Shetland will be Scotland's Scotland in that case.

pretty fucked up that shetland would refuse to accept that scotland voted to leave the UK as one nation and refuse to get over it and move on imo
ask moderation about reading serious moderation candidates TGs without telling them about it until afterwards and/or apparently refusing to confirm/deny the exact timeline of TG reading ~~~ i hope you never sent any of the recent mods or the ones that got really close anything personal!

signature edit: confirmation has been received. they will explicitly do it before and without asking. they can look at TGs basically whenever they want so please keep this in mind when nominating people for moderator or TGing good posters/anyone!
T <---- THE INFAMOUS T

Agarntrop
Powerbroker

Founded: May 14, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Agarntrop » Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:48 pm

If scottish independence does happen, i know what will be flying in westminster...

Labour Party (UK), Progressive Democrat (US)
Left Without Edge
Former Senator Barry Anderson (R-MO)

Governor Tara Misra (R-KY)

Representative John Atang (D-NY03)

Governor Max Smith (R-AZ)

State Senator Simon Hawkins (D-IA)

Join Land of Hope and Glory - a UK political RP project

Nimzonia
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 27, 2004
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Nimzonia » Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:49 pm

Cue Brexiteers unironically sneering at Scottish nationalists for ignoring sensible economic reasons to remain in a union.

Agarntrop
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Agarntrop » Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:49 pm

Souseiseki wrote:
Agarntrop wrote:Shetland will be Scotland's Scotland in that case.

pretty fucked up that shetland would refuse to accept that scotland voted to leave the UK as one nation and refuse to get over it and move on imo

I mean you could argue

"pretty fucked up that scotland would refuse to accept that the uk voted to leave the eu as one nation and refuse to get over it and move on imo"

Bit hypocritical what you just said...
Left Without Edge

Souseiseki
Post Marshal

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Souseiseki » Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:50 pm

Agarntrop wrote:
Souseiseki wrote:

I mean you could argue

"pretty fucked up that scotland would refuse to accept that the uk voted to leave the eu as one nation and refuse to get over it and move on imo"

that is the joke yes
ask moderation about reading serious moderation candidates TGs without telling them about it until afterwards and/or apparently refusing to confirm/deny the exact timeline of TG reading ~~~ i hope you never sent any of the recent mods or the ones that got really close anything personal!

signature edit: confirmation has been received. they will explicitly do it before and without asking. they can look at TGs basically whenever they want so please keep this in mind when nominating people for moderator or TGing good posters/anyone!
T <---- THE INFAMOUS T

Definitely Not Trumptonium
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 13, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Definitely Not Trumptonium » Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:51 pm

The New California Republic wrote:
Definitely Not Trumptonium wrote:According to The Index of Social and Economic Wellbeing, since the Scottish devolution in 1998, Scotland has fallen sharply in key indicators of national wellbeing.

Scotland has suffered one of sharpest falls among developed countries in ranking of national wellbeing and is now on a par with Slovenia. It has fallen 5 places into the bottom half of OECD since achieving devolution, all this while having the highest per-capita government spending and a generous budget deficit in the UK nations.

Scotland now ranks bottom in the UK for health outcomes and life expectancy, with a life expectancy on par with Romania. The rest of the UK has beaten or stayed within the EU average in increasing life expectancy.

At 4.9/10 index, an independent Scotland would rank below Turkey and the Russian Federation on health outcomes of OECD Better Life Index.

https://oecdregionalwellbeing.org/UKM.html
http://www.oecdbetterlifeindex.org/topics/health/

It also has the worst drug problem in Europe to boot.

Illegal yeah, but I think Denmark is worse for legal drug abuse, mainly revolving around overconsumption of antidepressants. Same with Sweden.
I sexually identify as Michael Jackson and my preferred pronouns are He / Hee!

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:51 pm

Agarntrop wrote:
Souseiseki wrote:

I mean you could argue

But we didn't vote as one nation. Scotland and NI got dragged out against their will because England demanded it.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Agarntrop
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Agarntrop » Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:52 pm

Souseiseki wrote:
Agarntrop wrote:I mean you could argue

that is the joke yes

Oh
Left Without Edge

Albrenia
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Albrenia » Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:55 pm

So Brexit's done now? That took a fucking long time.

I doubt it was worth it, but only time will tell.

Souseiseki
Post Marshal

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Souseiseki » Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:56 pm

Albrenia wrote:So Brexit's done now? That took a fucking long time.

yes but also no

T <---- THE INFAMOUS T

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:59 pm

It won't really be "done" until January 1st 2021, the end of the transition period. I mean yes on paper we are not in the EU anymore, but most things will continue to function for the rest of the year.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Definitely Not Trumptonium » Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:59 pm

Vassenor wrote:
Agarntrop wrote:I mean you could argue

But we didn't vote as one nation. Scotland and NI got dragged out against their will because England demanded it.

Scotland is not a nation, it is an administrative division. Borders can change at any time, and Shetland can be pulled out at any time.

After all, Monmouthshire was only administratively 'passed' to Wales in 1974, and Wales as a whole was part of England until 1967. The UK government says so itself: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1978/30/schedule/2

Which makes sense, since the UK is a union of England [inclusive of Wales, part of England,] Scotland and Northern Ireland.

And soon, Shetlands.
Last edited by Definitely Not Trumptonium on Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Albrenia
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Albrenia » Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:00 pm

The New California Republic wrote:

It won't really be "done" until January 1st 2021, the end of the transition period. I mean yes on paper we are not in the EU anymore, but most things will continue to function for the rest of the year.

Well that must be annoying to all the anti-European folks, heh.

Souseiseki
Post Marshal

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Souseiseki » Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:00 pm

Definitely Not Trumptonium wrote:
Vassenor wrote:

Scotland is not a nation, it is an administrative division. Borders can change at any time, and Shetland can be pulled out at any time.

After all, Monmouthshire was only administratively 'passed' to Wales in 1974. The UK government says so itself: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1978/30/schedule/2

the people of scotland clearly disagree

sounds like a problem

T <---- THE INFAMOUS T

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:03 pm

Albrenia wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:It won't really be "done" until January 1st 2021, the end of the transition period. I mean yes on paper we are not in the EU anymore, but most things will continue to function for the rest of the year.

Well that must be annoying to all the anti-European folks, heh.

For example I'll still be able to go to Europe this summer on my UK passport (which incidentally says European Union on it until I get it renewed, whenever that will be) with no additional restrictions, and be able to use the EU passport desks.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Definitely Not Trumptonium » Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:04 pm

Souseiseki wrote:

After all, Monmouthshire was only administratively 'passed' to Wales in 1974. The UK government says so itself: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1978/30/schedule/2

sounds like a problem

As evidenced by .. voting against becoming a nation.

Souseiseki
Post Marshal

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Souseiseki » Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:06 pm

Souseiseki wrote:

sounds like a problem

As evidenced by .. voting against becoming a nation.

there is a difference between being a nation and being a sovereign state

i would have thought this would have been self-intuitive

T <---- THE INFAMOUS T

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:08 pm

I am getting reports of spontaneous jubilation on the streets of the UK. The football clubs seem to be out in force to shout down any pro remain crowds that their show their face.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Lower Nubia
Minister

Founded: Dec 22, 2017
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Lower Nubia » Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:11 pm

No. We’ve actually become what brexiteers believed we were in 2016: a state which takes EU regulations without a say on those regulations. That’s why it’s called the Transition period, not the final period.
Last edited by Lower Nubia on Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  1. Anglo-Catholic
    Anglican
  2. Socially Centre-Right
  3. Third Way Neoliberal
  4. Asperger
    Syndrome
  5. Graduated
    in Biochemistry
Her Region of Africa
Her Overview (WIP)
"These are they who are made like to God as far as possible, of their own free will, and by God's indwelling, and by His abiding grace. They are truly called gods, not by nature, but by participation; just as red-hot iron is called fire, not by nature, but by participation in the fire's action."
Signature Updated: 15th April, 2022

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:12 pm

Lower Nubia wrote:

No. We’ve actually become what brexiteers believed we were in 2016: a state which takes EU regulations without a say on those regulations. That’s why it’s called the Transition period, not the final period.

It is still possible to get a hard brexit if Boris Johnson calks up the negotiations.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Lower Nubia
Minister

Founded: Dec 22, 2017
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Lower Nubia » Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:13 pm

Greed and Death wrote:
Lower Nubia wrote:

It is still possible to get a hard brexit if Boris Johnson calks up the negotiations.

Yes. Which shows how stupid this all is.
  1. Anglo-Catholic
    Anglican
  2. Socially Centre-Right
  3. Third Way Neoliberal
  4. Asperger
    Syndrome
  5. Graduated
    in Biochemistry
Her Region of Africa
Her Overview (WIP)
"These are they who are made like to God as far as possible, of their own free will, and by God's indwelling, and by His abiding grace. They are truly called gods, not by nature, but by participation; just as red-hot iron is called fire, not by nature, but by participation in the fire's action."
Signature Updated: 15th April, 2022

The Nihilistic view
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 14, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Nihilistic view » Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:19 pm

Souseiseki wrote:johnson is a fucking coward that voted against may's deal, made it slightly worse then brought it back like it was the best shit ever

Hmmmm fruity!
Slava Ukraini

Celritannia
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 10, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Celritannia » Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:20 pm

The Nihilistic view wrote:
Souseiseki wrote:johnson is a fucking coward that voted against may's deal, made it slightly worse then brought it back like it was the best shit ever

Hmmmm fruity!

Johnson is a racist, homophobic, misogynistic uneducated dick who hates the poor.
Last edited by Celritannia on Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My DeviantArt
Obey
When you annoy a Celritannian
U W0T M8?
Zirkagrad wrote:A person with a penchant for flying lions with long tongues, could possibly be a fan of Kiss. Maybe the classiest nation with a lion with its tongue hanging out. Enjoys only the finest tea.

Nakena wrote:NSG's Most Serene Salad
Citizen of Earth, Commonwealthian, European, British, Yorkshireman.
Atheist, Environmentalist

The Nihilistic view
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 14, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Nihilistic view » Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:21 pm

New haven america wrote:

:lol:
Slava Ukraini

Agarntrop
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Agarntrop » Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:22 pm

Lower Nubia wrote:

should be called the pointless period
Left Without Edge

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General