NATION

PASSWORD

Should people apologize for their opinions?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Cekoviu
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Cekoviu » Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:59 am

Satuga wrote:
Cekoviu wrote:The systematic European white patriarchy has created a system of oppression that to this day places women and people of color on the same level as dogs. The only real solution is to create a mandatory reeducation system for whites and men, because they are all complicit in this.

Cekoviu, I know you probably won't believe this, but this right here is both sexist and racist.

Obviously. I was making a point.
pro: women's rights
anti: men's rights

Kandorith
Minister

Founded: Aug 26, 2009
Capitalizt

Postby Kandorith » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:01 pm

Cekoviu wrote:
Czechoeuropa wrote:+1

The systematic European white patriarchy has created a system of oppression that to this day places women and people of color on the same level as dogs. The only real solution is to create a mandatory reeducation system for whites and men, because they are all complicit in this.

Whatever you are smoking or drinking, I want some too.
Great Empire of Kanyori | 大宮来国 | Arashi Kanyori Yokoku

Overview | Constitution | Anthem | Imperial Anthem | Armed Forces | Foreign Affairs | Emperor

Hikari Kyoyu Headlines:
BREAKING NEWS: LDP wins elections in landslide though Yoshiro Murakami will not return as prime minister they stated. | Latest technology showcased at the Empress Masumi Stadium as the January Tech Summit starts for the weekend | CDP claims LDP stole the election and will take legal steps against the election results

Satuga
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 27, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Satuga » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:01 pm

Cekoviu wrote:
Satuga wrote:Cekoviu, I know you probably won't believe this, but this right here is both sexist and racist.

Obviously. I was making a point.

Ah I see you were being facetious in order to reel someone into getting offended so you could point the whole "if the other party is offended/hurt/etc, that is their problem not the one holding said opinion." thing at em.

It was a little hard to tell over text.
Last edited by Satuga on Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alt-Acc: Kronotek.
Funny quotes:
Infected Mushroom wrote:I don’t like democracy. It’s messy, disorderly, unclean.

I much prefer uniforms, soldiers, clear lines of authority, order.
Tarsonis wrote:
Fartsniffage wrote:Can the pair of you go do it in one of the myriad American politics threads?

(Image)

So help me I will throw your tea into the harbor again

Sskiss
Diplomat

Founded: May 20, 2004
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Sskiss » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:02 pm

Satuga wrote:
Cekoviu wrote:The systematic European white patriarchy has created a system of oppression that to this day places women and people of color on the same level as dogs. The only real solution is to create a mandatory reeducation system for whites and men, because they are all complicit in this.

Cekoviu, I know you probably won't believe this, but this right here is both sexist and racist.

Yeah, it sure is Satuga! However, Cekoviu still has the right to that opinion regardless of how wrong headed it is.
"Eat or be Eaten"
"The first pain of life is to be driven from the creche to the harsh lands beyond.
The first joy of life is the crechemates you will meet there"
"Above the Isss' Raak is only the sky"
"Greenfood feeds redfood. Redfood feeds Sskiss"

"All is oneness/isness. All feed on death"
Sskiss Apothegms

Satuga
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 27, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Satuga » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:03 pm

Sskiss wrote:Yeah, it sure is Satuga! However, Cekoviu still has the right to that opinion regardless of how wrong headed it is.

If that was their proper view then yes they do, just as I have to the right to say "hey that's not cool". Also I was mostly pointing it out cause I've seen Cekoviu be pretty against racism and sexism so I thought they were being hypocritical when they were just being facetious :)
Alt-Acc: Kronotek.
Funny quotes:
Infected Mushroom wrote:I don’t like democracy. It’s messy, disorderly, unclean.

I much prefer uniforms, soldiers, clear lines of authority, order.
Tarsonis wrote:
Fartsniffage wrote:Can the pair of you go do it in one of the myriad American politics threads?

(Image)

So help me I will throw your tea into the harbor again

Portals
Lobbyist

Founded: Oct 03, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Portals » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:05 pm

No they shouldn't

If others are snowflakes so be it

Dragonisia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Antiquity
New York Times Democracy

Postby Dragonisia » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:09 pm

When we start policing opinions, we devolve into thought police. People may hold offensive opinions as long as they do not cause harm, which requires an act. Expressing an opinion that is harmful, or hateful, does not necessarily cause harm. A rational mind should be able to compensate for hateful or harmful words. The problem is when a recipient mind is compromised mental illness can turn words into a danger as solid as stone. Thus with humanity, it's hard to discern when voicing a hateful or harmful opinion will cause genuine harm, but it shouldn't abridge the right to self-expression. People who cannot cope need treatment and care and to avoid such confrontations where such views may be expressed.

When views perceived as hateful or harmful results in violent action on the behalf of the holder, that's when it becomes crime.

It is important to note that all opinions perceived as hateful or harmful, may not factually be, some go out of their way to seek to be offended. I consider those individuals who seek to be offended of the compromised mental class, they lack some part of Maslow's hierarchy and are seeking an unhelpful way to fill that void. That said, if a person holds a view you perceive as hateful and this individual has a reputation for being a kind entity, it may be important to clarify their views in the event there was miscommunication or a misconception.

For example I hold a complex religious view that many despise. I am a Christian who believes strongly that heterosexual relationships are the only righteous and holy path for a human to walk in terms of sexual/marital relationships based on religious doctrine and a combination of the belief that such is needed for procreation of the species as a shared responsibility. However, I will not condemn another person for embracing the other life-styles as I am tolerant and believe that if others wish to be wed by their own doctrines in their own holy places, so be it. Long as I am not required to participate or contribute, I will not chastise them, brow beat them, treat them any differently, we can even still be friends. They just have to realize I will never look favorably on that relationship. But we're not required to all share the same view point, so that shouldn't be a problem between rational minds. My religion teaches me that God gave us a choice to sin or not to sin, it's just if we wish to enter the Kingdom of Heaven, we must be obedient and not sin. That said the only sins I believe must be restrained by force of government law are those that cause direct, immediate harm to persons on a physical, financial, life-impacting level.

My view is complex. Some would say this means I am against Homosexuality.. some on the other side who believe homosexuality is something that should be persecuted would call me pro-homosexuality or lgbtq+ favoring/endorsing because I am not going out of my way to push my choices on others. Truth is in the middle though, I am against it, I don't condone it, but I'm also not going to be intolerant or hate others because they have embraced it. I am not going to try to meddle in their lives. I will just be me, and if they want to follow God and be like me, so be it. If not, their choice, as it has always been as it always should be.

But this is why cancel culture these days has become so toxic. If you do not immediately apologize for your opinions, for who you are in some instances as this is part of my Christian identity that I hold these beliefs, then based on a few sound bytes suddenly you are a social outcast. This is why many Christians who hold a similar view point to mine feel persecuted in the modern world, it's just that people no longer take sufficient time to understand each other as complex beings. Then again, there are those that also have taken Christ's mantle and warped it to their own personal agendas of hatred, those aren't doctrine abiding followers, but they get labeled as Christian because they claim the mantle smearing us all. Christians (literally Christian means follower of Christ.. so if you're not following, what are you?) act in love, never in hatred.. even towards our worst 'enemies'. Heck we try not to even have enemies other than sin itself. And hate doesn't fight sin, it emboldens it. Sin can only be fought through reasoning, logic, compassion, and being convincing.

But this is just one example of how "harm" is even a matter of subjectivity. Self-harm by not taking the time to understand what others are conveying is actually pretty common. People want a black/white.. a clean cut and easy understanding of reality. Problem is that the gross simplification of humanity undercuts its value and causes good people to get tossed in with the worst in our societies. There's a desire for a simple social paradigm of good people / bad people.. when almost everyone falls into complex shades of grey.

That said, the only time you should apologize for an opinion is when you know you have expressed it in hatred and with intent to cause harm. It's something we must all self-evaluate. Delivery of an opinion is almost as important as the opinion itself.

Blessings of my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ be upon you all.
Last edited by Dragonisia on Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:03 pm, edited 10 times in total.
APROUDMEMBEROF
THENEW PACIFICORDER

Personal Motto: L'État, c'est moi
Full Country Name: Dragonisia (PT), Dragonisia (MT), The Dragonisian Collective of Individual Personas(FT)
Demonym: Dragonisian
Rulers: Emperor Maelstrom Vortex, Empress Koudoawaia Vortex
Capital: Dragonisia
Government Type: Absolute Imperial with a representative democratic legislature. (PT/MT) Collective of DIstinct Minds (FT)
https://www.nationstates.net/nation=dragonisia/detail=factbook
Tech: Willing to play at any tech range and fiction class.
Foreign Policy: Unrestricted Diplomacy
Economic Left/Right: -4.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 1.64
More than you.
Likely, less than you. I've been inactive for a little while. This will likely change quickly.

Nuroblav
Minister

Founded: Nov 13, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Nuroblav » Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:39 pm

Satuga wrote:
Sskiss wrote:Yeah, it sure is Satuga! However, Cekoviu still has the right to that opinion regardless of how wrong headed it is.

If that was their proper view then yes they do, just as I have to the right to say "hey that's not cool". Also I was mostly pointing it out cause I've seen Cekoviu be pretty against racism and sexism so I thought they were being hypocritical when they were just being facetious :)

Damn. I didn't detect the sarcasm in what Cekoviu said, but I get that all fits now :clap:
Your NS mutualist(?), individualist, metalhead and all-round...err...human. TG if you have any questions about my political or musical views.

Economic Left/Right: -4.75, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -9.03

\m/ METAL IS BASED \m/

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015

Postby USS Monitor » Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:46 pm

Page wrote:But if you won't tell the truth about who you voted for to a person you're on a date with, that is a case in which your hesitation should cause you to rethink your views.

Or rethink who you're dating.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

DACOROMANIA
Envoy

Founded: Mar 02, 2014

Postby DACOROMANIA » Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:54 pm

I'm Christian and its principles are pro-life and anti-cannibalism.
If a majority of the world is converting against pro-life and legalize cannibalism, then should I apologize for my opinion just because the most of the world said the opposite?

It's the same case with the radical views promoting racial supremacy, genocide and antisemitism. Look at Hitler and Stalin. They had millions of people to their side. Who didn't had same opinions died.

Should I apologize for that my opinion is different of that of the majority? Never.

History is going again too close to repeat like in the 1939. Most of laws are not based on morality and laws could change any time.

If a large number of people may want dictatorship but I want democracy then what? Should I die? just because I want to be free?
Where's the free speech? Where's...
Leader of DACOROMANIA, Founder of Roman Byzantine Union.

I wish to save human race and to build a new nation-state, with ideals like human rights, peace and prosperity for all despite of any difference, avoiding the tyranny and preserving the liberty. To grow, to aid and save each other. Also going interstellar. Even if abandoned by family and nobody cares, I wish to do something important in life before to die, something that may really count.
I'm so alone on Earth and I see how the world may fall into chaos. All looks irrational and immoral. It's a pain to not be able to do anything and to be surrounded by barbarians.

Geneviev
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 03, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Geneviev » Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:09 pm

Czechoeuropa wrote:Should they apologize? No, only a spineless person would do so. Would I accept their apology? No, I would not accept the "apology" of a coward.

I wouldn't call someone who regrets something they said a coward. If they were only told to apologize and they don't mean it, that would actually be spineless.
"Above all, keep loving one another earnestly, since love covers a multitude of sins." 1 Peter 4:8

Bear Stearns
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 02, 2018
Capitalizt

Postby Bear Stearns » Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:17 pm

My opinion is to dropkick people in the nuts for fun. Should I apologize?
The Bear Stearns Companies, Inc. is a New York-based global investment bank, securities trading and brokerage firm. Its main business areas are capital markets, investment banking, wealth management and global clearing services. Bear Stearns was founded as an equity trading house on May Day 1923 by Joseph Ainslie Bear, Robert B. Stearns and Harold C. Mayer with $500,000 in capital.
383 Madison Ave,
New York, NY 10017
Vince Vaughn

Dragonisia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Antiquity
New York Times Democracy

Postby Dragonisia » Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:58 pm

Bear Stearns wrote:My opinion is to dropkick people in the nuts for fun. Should I apologize?

That would be assault, not an opinion.
APROUDMEMBEROF
THENEW PACIFICORDER

Personal Motto: L'État, c'est moi
Full Country Name: Dragonisia (PT), Dragonisia (MT), The Dragonisian Collective of Individual Personas(FT)
Demonym: Dragonisian
Rulers: Emperor Maelstrom Vortex, Empress Koudoawaia Vortex
Capital: Dragonisia
Government Type: Absolute Imperial with a representative democratic legislature. (PT/MT) Collective of DIstinct Minds (FT)
https://www.nationstates.net/nation=dragonisia/detail=factbook
Tech: Willing to play at any tech range and fiction class.
Foreign Policy: Unrestricted Diplomacy
Economic Left/Right: -4.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 1.64
More than you.
Likely, less than you. I've been inactive for a little while. This will likely change quickly.

Union of Sovereign States and Republics
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 16, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Union of Sovereign States and Republics » Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:30 pm

If they choose to. Free speech, and all that. I may not like an opinion, but that doesn't give me a reason to censor it (unless it's deliberately misleading - flat earth, anti-vaxx, etc).
Current IC Year: 2031
The Union of Sovereign States and Republics; USSR
In 1991, a plane carrying would-be conspirators of an armed coup crashed in the Crimean Peninsula. Without the coup, the Union of Sovereign States treaty was signed; and the USSR survived... Lore currently undergoing a rework.
Current Ruling Party: Second Forward Coalition (NPSU, Motherland, Agrarian League)
News: BREAKING NEWS: Unceremoniously, USSR officially departs from the European Union 2 years before schedule

Ethan Allen
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 25, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Ethan Allen » Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:00 pm

I would say that no opinion, thought, or idea should be apologized for unless someone truly feels sorry for it and wishes to apologize.
Prince of Vermont
Libertarian/Anarcho-Capitalist

Geneviev
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Geneviev » Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:28 pm

Union of Sovereign States and Republics wrote:If they choose to. Free speech, and all that. I may not like an opinion, but that doesn't give me a reason to censor it (unless it's deliberately misleading - flat earth, anti-vaxx, etc).

What about things like extremist religion?
"Above all, keep loving one another earnestly, since love covers a multitude of sins." 1 Peter 4:8

Union of Sovereign States and Republics
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 16, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Union of Sovereign States and Republics » Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:30 pm

Geneviev wrote:
Union of Sovereign States and Republics wrote:If they choose to. Free speech, and all that. I may not like an opinion, but that doesn't give me a reason to censor it (unless it's deliberately misleading - flat earth, anti-vaxx, etc).

Sadly. The first amendment was made to protect expression, speech, and religion. Being religious myself, it hurts to see places like Westboro. But we legally can't stop them from operating (though, in an ideal world, Westboro would be blasted off the face of the Earth).
Current IC Year: 2031
The Union of Sovereign States and Republics; USSR
In 1991, a plane carrying would-be conspirators of an armed coup crashed in the Crimean Peninsula. Without the coup, the Union of Sovereign States treaty was signed; and the USSR survived... Lore currently undergoing a rework.
Current Ruling Party: Second Forward Coalition (NPSU, Motherland, Agrarian League)
News: BREAKING NEWS: Unceremoniously, USSR officially departs from the European Union 2 years before schedule

Vetalia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 23, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Vetalia » Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:44 pm

Geneviev wrote:

Even that is no problem unless they are actively engaged in criminal activity. I don't think it should ever be the role of government to decide what constitutes "extremist" thought whether it relates to religion, politics, race, sexuality, or anything else.
Economic Left/Right: 0.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.05

Stylan
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 01, 2019
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Stylan » Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:50 pm

if you have to publicly apologize for your beliefs maybe reconsider them

ie nazism, fascism etc
[align=center]Christian.

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 06, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:52 pm

USS Monitor wrote:
Page wrote:But if you won't tell the truth about who you voted for to a person you're on a date with, that is a case in which your hesitation should cause you to rethink your views.

Or rethink who you're dating.

Thankfully most people in my generation aren't huge fans of trump or Clinton so we gucci

Unfortunately the cult of Obama lives on
Rojava Free State wrote:Listen yall. I'm only gonna say it once but I want you to remember it. This ain't a world fit for good men. It seems like you gotta be monstrous just to make it. Gotta have a little bit of darkness within you just to survive. You gotta stoop low everyday it seems like. Stoop all the way down to the devil in these times. And then one day you look in the mirror and you realize that you ain't you anymore. You're just another monster, and thanks to your actions, someone else will eventually become as warped and twisted as you. Never forget that the best of us are just the best of a bad lot. Being at the top of a pile of feces doesn't make you anything but shit like the rest. Never forget that.

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:52 pm

Cekoviu wrote:

The systematic European white patriarchy has created a system of oppression that to this day places women and people of color on the same level as dogs. The only real solution is to create a mandatory reeducation system for whites and men, because they are all complicit in this.

Step 1 in how to start a race war
Rojava Free State wrote:Listen yall. I'm only gonna say it once but I want you to remember it. This ain't a world fit for good men. It seems like you gotta be monstrous just to make it. Gotta have a little bit of darkness within you just to survive. You gotta stoop low everyday it seems like. Stoop all the way down to the devil in these times. And then one day you look in the mirror and you realize that you ain't you anymore. You're just another monster, and thanks to your actions, someone else will eventually become as warped and twisted as you. Never forget that the best of us are just the best of a bad lot. Being at the top of a pile of feces doesn't make you anything but shit like the rest. Never forget that.

Stylan
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 01, 2019
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Stylan » Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:54 pm

Cekoviu wrote:

A little extreme, but I think incorporating more accurate history into schools is a good idea. I.e removing the insane amounts of whitewashing in most history books, etc. etc.
[align=center]Christian.

Pancania
Political Columnist

Founded: May 03, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Pancania » Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:59 pm

Hm... Why should anyone apologize for his/her opinion?
It's ... Never.

Soviet Union tried also to fix this NS regular issue of free speech through a so-called "Perestroika", even if it was too late for that giant "autocrat" to survive.
And sure, who wasn't a pro-soviet regime was shot down later with his whole family into planned "accidents" by KGB agents... so it worked (very well) for a while.

There's no need for "sorry".

*Don't worry, the secret eyes watches you*

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:10 pm

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lQUURGS0OtQ

My feeling when someone gets offended by my opinions
Last edited by Rojava Free State on Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Geneviev
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Geneviev » Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:36 pm

Union of Sovereign States and Republics wrote:
Geneviev wrote:What about things like extremist religion?

Sadly. The first amendment was made to protect expression, speech, and religion. Being religious myself, it hurts to see places like Westboro. But we legally can't stop them from operating (though, in an ideal world, Westboro would be blasted off the face of the Earth).

You could stop them from saying the most extreme things, at least.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General