NATION

PASSWORD

The 2019-2020 Coronavirus outbreak thread

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Samudera Darussalam
Senator

Founded: Aug 05, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Samudera Darussalam » Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:13 pm

Luminesa wrote:
Shrillland wrote:
I have to agree. In this extraordinary situation, economic slump, even to the point of a depression, is preferable to leaving things as they are and unnecessarily killing millions worldwide.

And ultimately, if we do what we're supposed to, we'll come out fine. Help your neighbor. Be mindful of people going hungry. Take care of the people in your home. When we show charity for our fellow man, we can do wonders.

Ay, this is my favourite quote in this thread.

Nakena
Post Marshal

Founded: May 06, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Nakena » Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:14 pm

Fartsniffage wrote:Social distancing martial arts.

https://imgur.com/gallery/quaUp9K

I luled.

The South Falls
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby The South Falls » Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:15 pm

Luminesa wrote:
Shrillland wrote:
I have to agree. In this extraordinary situation, economic slump, even to the point of a depression, is preferable to leaving things as they are and unnecessarily killing millions worldwide.

And ultimately, if we do what we're supposed to, we'll come out fine. Help your neighbor. Be mindful of people going hungry. Take care of the people in your home. When we show charity for our fellow man, we can do wonders.

We can't be thinkin of everyone as potential virus carriers, we're all humans at heart.
This is an MT nation that reflects some of my beliefs, trade deals and debate always welcome! Call me TeaSF. A level 8, according to This Index.

Political Compass Results:

Economic: -5.5
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.51
I make dumb jokes. I'm really serious about that.

Nakena
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Nakena » Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:16 pm

Luminesa wrote:
Shrillland wrote:

Agreed and quoted. :hug:

Dept of Unauthorized Forestry
Political Columnist

Founded: Jan 07, 2020
Ex-Nation

The definition of "essential" needs to be defined, and quick

Postby Dept of Unauthorized Forestry » Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:16 pm

Businesses are bending beyond rational logic to justify their dangerous policies and behavior at a time of national emergency.

For instance, I have word from employees that the CEO of Michael's just released a statement to all of their stores that they define themselves as an "essential business" because 1) they offer UPS Access point (more under spoiler if you're not familiar) and 2) They sell 'essential business supplies'. What constitutes "essential business supply" at Michael's Arts and Crafts?... paint for artists? Do they know galleries are all closed? Glitter and glue for craft shows? Those are all surely canceled. San Francisco gave a last minute exemption to Michael's because they sell "educational purpose" items. My sources could not name a single item in store that is necessary for education outside of art study. You may love art, but that isn't essential to anyone's survival. Besides, Amazon is still fulfilling pencils, eventually, and they still have an online store they could be selling these "educational" items out through.

UPS Access Point is...
only a drop off and pickup spot for UPS packages. Which... should be delivered to their doorstep since everyone is in quarantine? Or, it could just be delivered to a UPS Store. Those exist! Why should a rather large building full customers and staff be allowed to remain open for the convenience of another company's customer base???

Michael's Arts and Crafts are allowing employees to stay home if they so choose, but only at the discretion of their store management. We all know how lower management works, and that's not good enough. It should be no questions asked. My source has it their boss was laughing at jokes of the "Chinese virus", claiming that it was a hoax, and their entire store staff are miserable and anxious. Their staff are mostly older ladies who are high risk, or have household members who are high risk, and they're all too afraid to cross their immediate store manager in fear of their jobs. Many are afraid of not getting that next paycheck. Michael's has the resources to pull a move like Bed,Bath & Beyond until the government steps in, but they don't have the leadership or human decency to enact it. :mad:

Let's see if they still hold those kids classes and events tomorrow like they did last Saturday! :eyebrow:
Last edited by Dept of Unauthorized Forestry on Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vetalia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 23, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Vetalia » Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:16 pm

Luminesa wrote:
Shrillland wrote:

I think you're right...if we could survive the Black Plague and Spanish flu with the technology and medical knowledge available then, we'll make it through this. Just be smart about your personal well being and altruistic towards others.
Last edited by Vetalia on Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Economic Left/Right: 0.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.05

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 09, 2014
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Luminesa » Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:19 pm

The South Falls wrote:
Luminesa wrote:And ultimately, if we do what we're supposed to, we'll come out fine. Help your neighbor. Be mindful of people going hungry. Take care of the people in your home. When we show charity for our fellow man, we can do wonders.

We can't be thinkin of everyone as potential virus carriers, we're all humans at heart.

Well, the problem is we COULD all carry this virus, but we STILL have to take care of each other. We might not be able to go out, but by staying home, we're making sure our elderly and sick people can't get sicker.

But just in case, always be aware of your food banks and any place where you can give goods to care for people.

And plz don't hoard toilet paper. There's people who need it.
Catholic, pro-life, and proud of it. I prefer my debates on religion, politics, and sports with some coffee and a little Aquinas and G.K. CHESTERTON here and there. :3
Unofficial #1 fan of the Who Dat Nation.
"I'm just a singer of simple songs, I'm not a real political man. I watch CNN, but I'm not sure I can tell you the difference in Iraq and Iran. But I know Jesus, and I talk to God, and I remember this from when I was young:
faith, hope and love are some good things He gave us...
and the greatest is love."
-Alan Jackson
Help the Ukrainian people, here's some sources!
Help bring home First Nation girls! Now with more ways to help!
Jesus loves all of His children in Eastern Europe - pray for peace.
Pray for Ukraine, Wear Sunflowers In Your Hair

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Postby Luminesa » Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:19 pm

Nakena wrote:
Luminesa wrote:And ultimately, if we do what we're supposed to, we'll come out fine. Help your neighbor. Be mindful of people going hungry. Take care of the people in your home. When we show charity for our fellow man, we can do wonders.

Agreed and quoted. :hug:

Awwwwww, thank you! :hug:
Catholic, pro-life, and proud of it. I prefer my debates on religion, politics, and sports with some coffee and a little Aquinas and G.K. CHESTERTON here and there. :3
"I'm just a singer of simple songs, I'm not a real political man. I watch CNN, but I'm not sure I can tell you the difference in Iraq and Iran. But I know Jesus, and I talk to God, and I remember this from when I was young:
-Alan Jackson

Nakena
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Nakena » Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:19 pm

Vetalia wrote:

I think you're right...if we could survive the Black Plague and Spanish flu with the technology and medical knowledge available then, we'll make it through this. Just be smart about your personal well being and altruistic towards others.

Well our species survied them. But european High Middle Ages civilization got severely devastated by the black death.

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ethel mermania » Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:19 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:
Not sure what your second sentence means.

Wasn’t that what he wanted is tax cut initiative to be called?

Sounded good yet when it arrived we weren’t sure it give us much. Had to look on line at for previous stubs to compare.

Ok, iget it now. Thanks
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Aravea
Senator

Founded: Oct 31, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Aravea » Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:19 pm

Saiwania wrote:The last time there was an economic collapse, there were no paychecks for doing nothing? What is different about this time?

We have better tech and better systems in place to offset economic hardship whereas we didn't during the last economic collapse.
Proud Deputy Speaker of the INTERNATIONAL FREEDOM COALITION!
★★★Proud Intelligence Minister of the United Monarchist Alliance★★★
Note: Currently in the process of overhauling the Aravean factbooks/canon.

Samudera Darussalam
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Samudera Darussalam » Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:19 pm

Vetalia wrote:

I think you're right...if we could survive the Black Plague and Spanish flu with the technology and medical knowledge available then, we'll make it through this.

I think a more optimistic approach, to help lessen the panic that is caused by all the irresponsibilities that led to this pandemic in the first place should be more encouraged. We can't know what will come out of this, but at the time being we should support each other. We are together in this crisis.

Nakena
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Nakena » Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:21 pm

Aravea wrote:
Saiwania wrote:The last time there was an economic collapse, there were no paychecks for doing nothing? What is different about this time?

We have better tech and better systems in place to offset economic hardship whereas we didn't during the last economic collapse.

I dont think its going to be a collapse. But a severe GDP setback, that might be undo next year. Supposing Covid doesnt kills people in the millions.

Cisairse
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 17, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Cisairse » Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:21 pm

Saiwania wrote:If the political fringes in the US clashed it out, my thinking is that there is no way the far Left will ever take over that country given the US' anti-worker history and long legacy of plutocracy and corporatism. The far right will be a shoe in to take over if democracy got abandoned. It wouldn't be like Greece with Syriza.

There are already a relatively large number of elected state officials in the south, midwest, and Rocky Mountains that are explicitly theocratic and have been preparing for a collapse event to replace the United States government with a theocratic oligarchy which murders nonbelievers.
Last edited by Cisairse on Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The details of the above post are subject to leftist infighting.

I officially endorse Fivey Fox for president of the United States.

The South Falls
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The South Falls » Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:22 pm

Vetalia wrote:

This virus will linger for months, but we can live through it. I think it'll be bad, but not to a degree where a large percentage of our population would die.
This is an MT nation that reflects some of my beliefs, trade deals and debate always welcome! Call me TeaSF. A level 8, according to This Index.

Samudera Darussalam
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Samudera Darussalam » Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:22 pm

Cisairse wrote:
Saiwania wrote:If the political fringes in the US clashed it out, my thinking is that there is no way the far Left will ever take over that country given the US' anti-worker history and long legacy of plutocracy and corporatism. The far right will be a shoe in to take over if democracy got abandoned. It wouldn't be like Greece with Syriza.

There are already a relatively large number of elected state officials in the south, midwest, and Rocky Mountains that are explicitly theocratic and have been preparing for a collapse event to replace the United States government with a theocratic oligarchy which murders nonbelievers.

Umm, page not found?

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Postby Luminesa » Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:22 pm

Dept of Unauthorized Forestry wrote:Businesses are bending beyond rational logic to justify their dangerous policies and behavior at a time of national emergency.

For instance, I have word from employees that the CEO of Michael's just released a statement to all of their stores that they define themselves as an "essential business" because 1) they offer UPS Access point (more under spoiler if you're not familiar) and 2) They sell 'essential business supplies'. What constitutes "essential business supply" at Michael's Arts and Crafts?... paint for artists? Do they know galleries are all closed? Glitter and glue for craft shows? Those are all surely canceled. San Francisco gave a last minute exemption to Michael's because they sell "educational purpose" items. My sources could not name a single item in store that is necessary for education outside of art study. You may love art, but that isn't essential to anyone's survival. Besides, Amazon is still fulfilling pencils, eventually, and they still have an online store they could be selling these "educational" items out through.

UPS Access Point is...
only a drop off and pickup spot for UPS packages. Which... should be delivered to their doorstep since everyone is in quarantine? Or, could just be delivered to a UPS Store. Those exist! Why should a rather large building full customers and staff be allowed to remain open for the convenience of another company's customer base???

Michael's Arts and Crafts are allowing employees to stay home if they so choose, but only at the discretion of their store management. We all know how lower management works, and that's not good enough. It should be no questions asked. My source has it that their boss was laughing at jokes of the "Chinese virus", claiming that it was a hoax, and their entire store staff miserable and anxious. Their staff are mostly older ladies who are high risk, or have household members who are high risk, and they're all too afraid to cross their immediate store manager in fear for their jobs. Many are afraid of not getting that next paycheck. Michael's has the resources to pull a move like Bed,Bath,&Beyond until the government steps in, but they don't have the leadership or human decency to enact it. :mad:

Let's see if they still hold kids classes and events tomorrow like they did last Saturday. :eyebrow:

I mean...a lot of people are staying in and doing things like art, knitting, and pottery. Gotta have something to do.

What they should be doing, however, is allowing older workers to stay home. They should give them sick leave and pay for their time off. The managers need to be considerate and intelligent, and to care for their workers. And if they wait for the state to step in, they're not gonna have any business at all. So they should take care of their workers.
-Alan Jackson

Nakena
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Nakena » Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:22 pm

Cisairse wrote:

Yeah Sons of Jacobs tier groups need to be dealt with harshly.

Vetalia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 23, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Vetalia » Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:23 pm

Luminesa wrote:
The South Falls wrote:We can't be thinkin of everyone as potential virus carriers, we're all humans at heart.

Well, the problem is we COULD all carry this virus, but we STILL have to take care of each other. We might not be able to go out, but by staying home, we're making sure our elderly and sick people can't get sicker.

But just in case, always be aware of your food banks and any place where you can give goods to care for people.

Or anything else. It is infuriating to me that people are clearing out the shelves for fresh food when I know damn well the vast majority of it will be wasted.
Economic Left/Right: 0.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.05

Ifreann
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 07, 2005
Iron Fist Socialists

Postby Ifreann » Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:23 pm

Cannot think of a name wrote:From the notes of positivity because honestly as shitty as things have gotten some of the beautiful parts of human nature are on display as well.

Don't have the article, but there are people who put back/plugged back in their Christmas lights to bring a little joy back to the bleakness.

I was forced outside ironically by the crisis. I already work from home and have my groceries delivered but couldn't so I had to venture into the world. In it I have had conversations with people, joking around, who would not normally talk to me at all.

The ex sent me a link to the Social Distancing Festival, a place that's hosting video of performance and art events that have been canceled due to the pandemic.

I watched someone's social network come together to help a friend's mom who is isolated and at risk in Hollywood when her daughter is in San Jose.

A friend started using Zoom to host Jackbox game nights. I was there for a pregnancy announcement of a stranger.

Tonight a movie premiere will be turned into a live stream.

Friends are setting up RPG sessions via various conferencing tools.

People have been checking in with each other and keeping each other's spirits up. I don't know what's happening in your circles but in mine while people are taking the situation seriously and have all appropriate levels of worry, they have taken that energy and directed it at reaching out to each other. If it weren't surrounded by tragedy, it'd be kind of beautiful.

Checked in with my brother who had to close his store today by order of the governor. He'll be giving online lessons for the foreseeable future, and he has an online sales presence, the sister-in-law works at a bank so she'll be working right up until it's time to put spikes on old football pads.

Dispensaries will remain open as an essential service. So we'll have that going on. My work is already remote and said if we need to generate more, go ahead. Basically limited by my output now. If I could stop checking in with you lot...

Anyway. People are awesome. If you don't agree, meet better people. Not now, though. Now is a shitty time to go out and meet people. For next time. If your group is shitty, when we're allowed in the sun again, go find better people.

It's true what they say. California is full of hippies.
He/Him

beating the devil
we never run from the devil
we never summon the devil
we never hide from from the devil
we never

Nakena
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Nakena » Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:23 pm

Samudera Darussalam wrote:
Cisairse wrote:

Umm, page not found?

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/23/us/m ... emism.html

Cisairse
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 17, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Cisairse » Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:24 pm

Samudera Darussalam wrote:
Cisairse wrote:

Umm, page not found?

Sorry about that, it was a typo. Should be fixed now.
The details of the above post are subject to leftist infighting.

I officially endorse Fivey Fox for president of the United States.

Fartsniffage
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 19, 2005
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Fartsniffage » Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:24 pm

Ifreann wrote:
Cannot think of a name wrote:From the notes of positivity because honestly as shitty as things have gotten some of the beautiful parts of human nature are on display as well.

Don't have the article, but there are people who put back/plugged back in their Christmas lights to bring a little joy back to the bleakness.

I was forced outside ironically by the crisis. I already work from home and have my groceries delivered but couldn't so I had to venture into the world. In it I have had conversations with people, joking around, who would not normally talk to me at all.

The ex sent me a link to the Social Distancing Festival, a place that's hosting video of performance and art events that have been canceled due to the pandemic.

I watched someone's social network come together to help a friend's mom who is isolated and at risk in Hollywood when her daughter is in San Jose.

A friend started using Zoom to host Jackbox game nights. I was there for a pregnancy announcement of a stranger.

Tonight a movie premiere will be turned into a live stream.

Friends are setting up RPG sessions via various conferencing tools.

People have been checking in with each other and keeping each other's spirits up. I don't know what's happening in your circles but in mine while people are taking the situation seriously and have all appropriate levels of worry, they have taken that energy and directed it at reaching out to each other. If it weren't surrounded by tragedy, it'd be kind of beautiful.

Checked in with my brother who had to close his store today by order of the governor. He'll be giving online lessons for the foreseeable future, and he has an online sales presence, the sister-in-law works at a bank so she'll be working right up until it's time to put spikes on old football pads.

Dispensaries will remain open as an essential service. So we'll have that going on. My work is already remote and said if we need to generate more, go ahead. Basically limited by my output now. If I could stop checking in with you lot...

Anyway. People are awesome. If you don't agree, meet better people. Not now, though. Now is a shitty time to go out and meet people. For next time. If your group is shitty, when we're allowed in the sun again, go find better people.

It's true what they say. California is full of hippies.

None a bigger hippy than Walrus.

Samudera Darussalam
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Samudera Darussalam » Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:25 pm

Nakena wrote:
Samudera Darussalam wrote:Umm, page not found?

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/23/us/m ... emism.html

Oh, that one. Thanks Nak.

Cisairse wrote:
Samudera Darussalam wrote:Umm, page not found?

Sorry about that, it was a typo. Should be fixed now.

Eh, it's alright. Thank tho.

The South Falls
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The South Falls » Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:25 pm

Luminesa wrote:
The South Falls wrote:We can't be thinkin of everyone as potential virus carriers, we're all humans at heart.

You've got good things to say during this trying time, and I respect that.

Thank you.

Also I want to wipe my ass in peace. I shouldn't have to take a fat shit on the floor of a supermarket, then wipe my ass with the mop and water they would have used to clean it up. Don't hoard toilet paper, people.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General