NATION

PASSWORD

The 2019-2020 Coronavirus outbreak thread

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 13, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Bombadil » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:02 am

Wuhan, which probably has the closer to reality numbers, records a higher fatality rate, suggesting it might be higher than currently believed..

Unexpectedly, Wuhan, the provincial capital city where the virus first emerged, registerd a fatality rate of 4.06 per cent, came in second. It was topped by Tianmen, a nearby city, which has a death rate of 5.08 per cent, Caixin Global reported on Sunday (Feb 9).
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

十年

Valentine Z
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 08, 2015
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Valentine Z » Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:38 am

So... a few days back, Singapore escalated the DORSCON (Disease Outbreak Response System Condition) to Orange.

Straits Times news wrote:It is only the second time Singapore has activated code orange. The first was for swine flu (H1N1) in 2009. The coding system was set up after Sars (severe acute respiratory syndrome) in 2003. The outbreak then would also have been orange, had the classification existed.

So err.... we are not that completely boned, and I have to admit, some people are so kan cheong (paranoid and overly nervous) as to stock up on everything, and I mean everything. Rice packets, drinks, instant noodles, etc, etc.

Sure, my family and I have stocked up a few packets of rice and eggs for this, but that's just that! We are actually pretty normal folks with this sort of thing and we just take normal precautions, but the fact that people are buying everything and queuing for hours in supermarkets, means that if you are just one normal dude like me who wants to grab some snacks at the nearby market, you are shit out of luck.

So, it was quite a Domino Effect that I honestly would love to see it gone ASAP. Stocking maybe 3-4 packs of rice, along with a carton of eggs or so, and maybe a soap bottle or two, that is fine. But to buy like TWO to THREE shopping carts full of stuff? What the hell, man....

-----

On another topic of schools, I did my studies from home today because both my lessons got virtualized. The measure now is that if the class has more than 50 people, you will have to virtualize it. And also to minimise inter-school (even intra-school) activities and competitions.
Last edited by Valentine Z on Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Val's Stuff. ♡ ^_^ ♡ For You
If you are reading my sig, I want you to have the best day ever ! You are worth it, do not let anyone get you down !
Glory to De Geweldige Sierlijke Katachtige Utopia en Zijne Autonome Machten ov Valentine Z !
(✿◠‿◠) ☆ \(^_^)/ ☆

Issues Thread Photography Stuff Project: Save F7. Stats Analysis

The Sixty! Valentian Stories! Gwen's Adventures!

• Never trouble trouble until trouble troubles you.
• World Map is a cat playing with Australia.
Let Fate sort it out.

Lost Memories
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 29, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Lost Memories » Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:16 am

Valrifell wrote:
Gormwood wrote:Coronavirus trying hard to beat Spanish Flu on the Plague, Inc. leaderboard.

The deaths caused by the Spanish flu are an order of magnitude (or several, I haven't checked) greater than that of this virus, and again there were exceptional circumstances that lead to the spread of the Spanish flu and also it was 100 years ago.

I saw that someone tried to argue that last point by saying that, somehow, hygiene is still as bad in developed nations as it was 100 years ago but that is simply untrue. Like I don't know how to tell you this, but 100 years ago the entire concept of a virus was new and sanitation is self-evidently nowhere near comparable to today.

The hysterics over this, I mean really.

You should inform yourself more before talking
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Af6b_wyiwI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALQTdCYGISw

Bear Stearns wrote:As weird as it is to see it empty, the streets of China look remarkably first world.

Had the same impression, they looked like the suburbs of any european city.
Just imagine also the quality of the air right now, without all the traffic and apparently industrial complex shut down (at least in Wuhan).
Last edited by Lost Memories on Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.politicaltest.net/test/result/222881/

hmag

pagan american empireLiberalism is a LieWhat is Hell

"The whole is something else than the sum of its parts" -Kurt Koffka

A fox tried to reach some grapes hanging high on the vine, but was unable to.
As he went away, the fox remarked 'Oh, you aren't even ripe yet!'
As such are people who speak disparagingly of things that they cannot attain.
-The Fox and the Grapes

"Dictionaries don't decide what words mean. Prescriptivism is the ultimate form of elitism." -United Muscovite Nations
or subtle illiteracy, or lazy sidetracking. Just fucking follow the context. And ask when in doubt.

Not-asimov

We're all a bit stupid and ignorant, just be humble about it.

Lost Memories
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Lost Memories » Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:27 am

Bombadil wrote:Wuhan, which probably has the closer to reality numbers, records a higher fatality rate, suggesting it might be higher than currently believed..

Unexpectedly, Wuhan, the provincial capital city where the virus first emerged, registerd a fatality rate of 4.06 per cent, came in second. It was topped by Tianmen, a nearby city, which has a death rate of 5.08 per cent, Caixin Global reported on Sunday (Feb 9).

With any research coming out, making claims about mortality, be very wary of how many of their study cases are still hospitalized.

There was a recent (unreviewed) study released which had 1099 study cases, which claimed a mortality of 1.3%, but of those cases 1029 were all still hospitalized, only 9 recovered, 15 died, 55 discharged(??not recovered but discharged?).
By their own logic, if the mortality rate is 1.3%, then the recovery rate is 0.8%
Hospitalized cases can't be used for mortality calculations, the only conclusive data they had was 9 recovered(+55 discharged?) and 15 dead.

Same for many other "studies" coming out lately, they almost never mention in their summaries how many of their study cases were actually concluded, you have to read the full article for that crucial information.
Ignoring that information makes for misleading results and conclusions.
Last edited by Lost Memories on Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

hmag

-The Fox and the Grapes

"Dictionaries don't decide what words mean. Prescriptivism is the ultimate form of elitism." -United Muscovite Nations
or subtle illiteracy, or lazy sidetracking. Just fucking follow the context. And ask when in doubt.

Not-asimov

Novus America
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 02, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:35 am

Valrifell wrote:
Gormwood wrote:Which still leaves third world nations.

It's not been sighted in significant numbers in any country with poor healthcare. Besides, it's almost like there's an international organization that could easily help in those cases.

Healthcare in the PRC is not very good, unless you are rich.

And just because it has not happened yet does not mean it is not a potential problem.

I agree we should not panic, but we should not downplay it and do nothing (which caused the problem in the first place!).

And WHO? The corrupt mess they are will be very helpful either.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Zombie Ike/Teddy Roosevelt 2020.

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.
Think something like prewar Fallout, minus the bad stuff.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

Pilipinas and Malaya
Minister

Founded: Jun 23, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Pilipinas and Malaya » Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:39 am

Valentine Z wrote:So... a few days back, Singapore escalated the DORSCON (Disease Outbreak Response System Condition) to Orange.

Straits Times news wrote:It is only the second time Singapore has activated code orange. The first was for swine flu (H1N1) in 2009. The coding system was set up after Sars (severe acute respiratory syndrome) in 2003. The outbreak then would also have been orange, had the classification existed.

So err.... we are not that completely boned, and I have to admit, some people are so kan cheong (paranoid and overly nervous) as to stock up on everything, and I mean everything. Rice packets, drinks, instant noodles, etc, etc.

Sure, my family and I have stocked up a few packets of rice and eggs for this, but that's just that! We are actually pretty normal folks with this sort of thing and we just take normal precautions, but the fact that people are buying everything and queuing for hours in supermarkets, means that if you are just one normal dude like me who wants to grab some snacks at the nearby market, you are shit out of luck.

So, it was quite a Domino Effect that I honestly would love to see it gone ASAP. Stocking maybe 3-4 packs of rice, along with a carton of eggs or so, and maybe a soap bottle or two, that is fine. But to buy like TWO to THREE shopping carts full of stuff? What the hell, man....

-----

On another topic of schools, I did my studies from home today because both my lessons got virtualized. The measure now is that if the class has more than 50 people, you will have to virtualize it. And also to minimise inter-school (even intra-school) activities and competitions.

Sometimes people have been rather crazy about stuff like this, siao is the term for crazy in Singlish, right? (Yes, I had sort of lessons on Singlish while I was there on a trip) Here in the Philippines, the moment any Chinese person clears their throat audibly or coughs, people begin going at least 5 metres away from him/her/them. A friend of mine experienced it just this weekend.

Another friend's family went ahead and bought three whole packs of N95. She sort of has reason because family works at a hospital with cases under investigation.
Federative States of Pilipinas and Malaya
Member of Europe

Homepage (leads to other info dispatches)
Accursed, incomplete, self-made map collection of my universe
NS Stats invalid
Yes, my nation does represent a good chunk of my views
Finally got around to dealing with a bunch of canon stuff, expect them to be updated every once in a while. | *inhales copium* In Civ 7, maybe we'll finally get a Filipino civ? | STREAM SEVENTEEN'S FML, OUT NOW

Valentine Z
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 08, 2015
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Valentine Z » Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:01 am

Pilipinas and Malaya wrote:Sometimes people have been rather crazy about stuff like this, siao is the term for crazy in Singlish, right? (Yes, I had sort of lessons on Singlish while I was there on a trip) Here in the Philippines, the moment any Chinese person clears their throat audibly or coughs, people begin going at least 5 metres away from him/her/them. A friend of mine experienced it just this weekend.

Another friend's family went ahead and bought three whole packs of N95. She sort of has reason because family works at a hospital with cases under investigation.

Yep, "You siao arh!" basically means "You crazy man, eh?" / "Are you crazy?"... along perhaps other possible phrases.

Ahh yup! Just cough a little to clear the queue ahead. You didn't hear this from me! :P

Oh that, I understand. Sometimes, you need maybe 20-30 masks to keep it to yourself and your family, because surgical masks and N95 masks can go off. For N95, we have maybe 10-15 of them because they are a little on the heavier side. For surgical masks, it's good to have maybe 40-50 of them for a year in case of things like this. What I could not stand, however... are people that profited off from this. They made USD 100+ or even more selling these things because they bought all of them, and then have the gall to demand at a higher markup.

That's why if you go to a store now, they will only let you buy one box (25-50 surgical masks per box).
Val's Stuff. ♡ ^_^ ♡ For You
If you are reading my sig, I want you to have the best day ever ! You are worth it, do not let anyone get you down !
Glory to De Geweldige Sierlijke Katachtige Utopia en Zijne Autonome Machten ov Valentine Z !
(✿◠‿◠) ☆ \(^_^)/ ☆

Issues Thread Photography Stuff Project: Save F7. Stats Analysis

The Sixty! Valentian Stories! Gwen's Adventures!

• Never trouble trouble until trouble troubles you.
• World Map is a cat playing with Australia.
Let Fate sort it out.

A m e n r i a
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 08, 2017
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby A m e n r i a » Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:04 am

Lost Memories wrote:
Valrifell wrote:
The deaths caused by the Spanish flu are an order of magnitude (or several, I haven't checked) greater than that of this virus, and again there were exceptional circumstances that lead to the spread of the Spanish flu and also it was 100 years ago.

I saw that someone tried to argue that last point by saying that, somehow, hygiene is still as bad in developed nations as it was 100 years ago but that is simply untrue. Like I don't know how to tell you this, but 100 years ago the entire concept of a virus was new and sanitation is self-evidently nowhere near comparable to today.

The hysterics over this, I mean really.

You should inform yourself more before talking
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Af6b_wyiwI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALQTdCYGISw

Bear Stearns wrote:As weird as it is to see it empty, the streets of China look remarkably first world.

Had the same impression, they looked like the suburbs of any european city.
Just imagine also the quality of the air right now, without all the traffic and apparently industrial complex hut down (at least in Wuhan).

Streets in Shandong are empty too. Everyone's too scared to go out, and even if they do, there's nothing to do.
The Empire of Amenria (亚洲帝国)
Sinocentric Asian theocratic absolute monarchy. Set 28 years in the future. On-site factbooks are no longer canon. A 13.14 civilization, according to this index.
Your guide to Amenria, organized for your convenience

New Visayan Islands
Game Moderator

Founded: Jan 31, 2017
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby New Visayan Islands » Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:24 am

Pilipinas and Malaya wrote:
Valentine Z wrote:So... a few days back, Singapore escalated the DORSCON (Disease Outbreak Response System Condition) to Orange.

-----

Sometimes people have been rather crazy about stuff like this, siao is the term for crazy in Singlish, right? (Yes, I had sort of lessons on Singlish while I was there on a trip) Here in the Philippines, the moment any Chinese person clears their throat audibly or coughs, people begin going at least 5 metres away from him/her/them. A friend of mine experienced it just this weekend.

Lucky her, I'm considering an industrial-grade respirator if it comes to that.
Let "¡Viva la Libertad!" be a cry of Eternal Defiance to the Jackboot.
My TGs are NOT for Mod Stuff.

For details on the man behind NVI, click here.

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:28 am

There are now 8 cases in the UK.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Lost Memories
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Lost Memories » Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:10 am

A new study has been released by the Imperial College London, the study focuses on estimation of the mortality rate, and gives an overview of the current limits of estimations, given the shortage of reliable informations, by defining ranges of confidence around estimates.

The estimation on the death rate inside Hubei China (18% mortality (95% credible interval: 11-81%)) are based on their reported numbers, no further estimates were made on under reported deaths from china.
Mortality estimation outside mainland china: 1.2% (95% confidence interval: 0.9%-26%)
They also report estimates of mean delay for recovery and death since onset of sympthoms, to be similar, about 22.2days (95%, 18-83 days range)

hmag

-The Fox and the Grapes

Not-asimov

Dogmeat
Senator

Founded: Apr 01, 2018
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Dogmeat » Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:34 am

Novus America wrote:
Valrifell wrote:
It's not been sighted in significant numbers in any country with poor healthcare. Besides, it's almost like there's an international organization that could easily help in those cases.

And just because it has not happened yet does not mean it is not a potential problem.

I agree we should not panic, but we should not downplay it and do nothing (which caused the problem in the first place!).

If the doctors of WHO can fight the Daleks, they can fight a coronavirus.
Immortal God Dog
Hey boy, know any tricks?
天狗

The World Capitalist Confederation
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 07, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby The World Capitalist Confederation » Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:44 am

Dogmeat wrote:
Novus America wrote:

Dalek-Human transmission of 2019-nCov reported.
Please Watch
“We could manage to survive without the money changers and stockbrokers, but we would rather find it difficult to survive without miners, steel workers and those who cultivate the land.” - Nye Bevan, Minister of Health under Clement Attlee

“The mutual-aid tendency in man has so remote an origin, and is so deeply interwoven with all the past evolution of the human race, that is has been maintained by mankind up to the present time, notwithstanding all vicissitudes of history.” - Peter Krotopkin, evolutionary biologist and political writer.

Fartsniffage
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 19, 2005
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Fartsniffage » Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:20 am

Dogmeat wrote:
Novus America wrote:

Zixu
Envoy

Founded: Oct 13, 2019
Democratic Socialists

Postby Zixu » Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:58 pm

Report from the National Health Commission of the People's Republic of China

mainland China
until Feb. 10during Feb. 10
confirmed42638+2478 (2097 from Hubei)
cured3996+716 (427 from Hubei)
deaths1016+108 (103 from Hubei)
existing37626
severe7333
suspected21675
close contacts187728

Hong Kong, Macau, and Taiwan
confirmedcureddeaths
Hong Kong4201
Macau1010
Taiwan1810

Castelia
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 04, 2015
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Castelia » Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:58 pm

Zixu wrote:-snip-

I was about to believe those numbers until I saw that it was the PRC that released the info.

I'd be more willing to believe the crazies over at 4chan more than the PRC these days. Until this information has been verified by an independent third-party source (and I don't mean the WHO, considering how corrupt those people are), I'm not going to believe it's that low.
"They say I'm insane, but take a look at the world and tell me the pleasures of sanity."
My IRL politics are simple: anti-Chinese Communist Party. If a view is anti-CCP, no matter how bad it is, that's my view.

Welcome to the Casteliaverse! | Factbook Repository
A 10.125 civilization, according to this index, and a Class 1 Civilization according to this index.
I DO NOT USE NS STATS. This nation does not represent my IRL views.
This spoiler is a tribute to Vanquaria, whose level of based I aspire to achieve one day.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:00 pm

Lost Memories wrote:A new study has been released by the Imperial College London, the study focuses on estimation of the mortality rate, and gives an overview of the current limits of estimations, given the shortage of reliable informations, by defining ranges of confidence around estimates.
(Image)

The estimation on the death rate inside Hubei China (18% mortality (95% credible interval: 11-81%)) are based on their reported numbers, no further estimates were made on under reported deaths from china.
Mortality estimation outside mainland china: 1.2% (95% confidence interval: 0.9%-26%)
They also report estimates of mean delay for recovery and death since onset of sympthoms, to be similar, about 22.2days (95%, 18-83 days range)

That’s a crazy wide confidence interval.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Fartsniffage
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 19, 2005
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Fartsniffage » Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:15 pm

Galloism wrote:
Lost Memories wrote:A new study has been released by the Imperial College London, the study focuses on estimation of the mortality rate, and gives an overview of the current limits of estimations, given the shortage of reliable informations, by defining ranges of confidence around estimates.
(Image)

It's what you get when using numbers from China.

Senkaku
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 01, 2012
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Senkaku » Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:29 pm

Bombadil wrote:Wuhan, which probably has the closer to reality numbers, records a higher fatality rate, suggesting it might be higher than currently believed..

Wuhan is also so overwhelmed with cases that it's still hard to know how accurate those numbers are imo
Biden-Santos Thought cadre

Tuthina
Senator

Founded: Jun 14, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Tuthina » Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:04 am

Castelia wrote:
Zixu wrote:-snip-

I was about to believe those numbers until I saw that it was the PRC that released the info.

I'd be more willing to believe the crazies over at 4chan more than the PRC these days. Until this information has been verified by an independent third-party source (and I don't mean the WHO, considering how corrupt those people are), I'm not going to believe it's that low.

On one hand, Hong Kong's reported cases are accurate (probably because the numbers are public to begin with); on the other hand, case numbers are increasing quite fast to the point it already becomes outdated by the time PRC releases it, with Hong Kong currently having 47 confirmed case, and likely will exceed 50 by midnight.
Call me Reno.
14:54:02 <Lykens> Explain your definition of Reno.

11:47 <Swilatia> Good god, copy+paste is no way to build a country!

03:08 <Democratic Koyro> NSG senate is a glaring example of why no one in NSG should ever have a position of authority
Rated as Class A: Environmental Utopia by Namor People's Rating Department
Rated as Human Rights Haven (7/10) by Namor People's Rating Department
Rated as Partially Free (4/10) by Namor People's Rating Department
Rated as Post-Industrial Nation (48 000 thousands of metric tons of carbon annually) by Syleruian Carbon Output Index
Rated as Category B by Edenist Travel Advisory Guide

Pilipinas and Malaya
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Pilipinas and Malaya » Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:40 am

Valentine Z wrote:
Pilipinas and Malaya wrote:Sometimes people have been rather crazy about stuff like this, siao is the term for crazy in Singlish, right? (Yes, I had sort of lessons on Singlish while I was there on a trip) Here in the Philippines, the moment any Chinese person clears their throat audibly or coughs, people begin going at least 5 metres away from him/her/them. A friend of mine experienced it just this weekend.

Yep, "You siao arh!" basically means "You crazy man, eh?" / "Are you crazy?"... along perhaps other possible phrases.

Ahh yup! Just cough a little to clear the queue ahead. You didn't hear this from me! :P

Oh that, I understand. Sometimes, you need maybe 20-30 masks to keep it to yourself and your family, because surgical masks and N95 masks can go off. For N95, we have maybe 10-15 of them because they are a little on the heavier side. For surgical masks, it's good to have maybe 40-50 of them for a year in case of things like this. What I could not stand, however... are people that profited off from this. They made USD 100+ or even more selling these things because they bought all of them, and then have the gall to demand at a higher markup.

That's why if you go to a store now, they will only let you buy one box (25-50 surgical masks per box).

Pretty handy tip for lining up ngl. Really fun to scare the living hecc of people with one of the easiest sounds to make lmao.

I agree, however, one of my friend’s family members works in a hospital near San Lazaro, where the first coronavirus death outside the PRC was recorded. That hospital also has quite a few cases under investigation. About the price racket some greedy people are trying to do, it’s really stupid. Imagine profiteering of something that can kill you. I mean it’s been done in the past, but definitely a practice that’s only resurfaced here because of the paranoia.

New Visayan Islands wrote:
Pilipinas and Malaya wrote:

Lucky her, I'm considering an industrial-grade respirator if it comes to that.

Yeah, makes sense. If you’re facing something as threatening as that, may as well prepare as much as you can.
Member of Europe

NS Stats invalid
Finally got around to dealing with a bunch of canon stuff, expect them to be updated every once in a while. | *inhales copium* In Civ 7, maybe we'll finally get a Filipino civ? | STREAM SEVENTEEN'S FML, OUT NOW

Pilipinas and Malaya
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Pilipinas and Malaya » Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:42 am

Separating this so that it looks less cluttered. So this is the number I got earlier while browsing the news:

42,600 people are infected, while 3,000 have been cured. 1,016 people are reported dead however.
Member of Europe

NS Stats invalid

Valentian Elysium
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jul 13, 2019
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Valentian Elysium » Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:55 am

It seems as though cases are starting to drop in China.
But the number of new infections nationally was down almost 20% from the day before, from 3,062 to 2,478.

Hubei's health commission confirmed 2,097 new cases in the province on Monday, down from 2,618 the previous day.
I like turtles
Nooooooooooooooo wrote:We happily await the arrival of Mr. Durant and his fluffy cat.

Australian rePublic wrote:"Meow meow meow, mu mu mu meow, meow meow meeooowww!"

Port Ember wrote:Cats are legal to own freely without license or registration - thus we hope they climitise well and live happy lives here!

Calliana wrote:Ms. Solomon's furry companions will also most certainly be welcome on our shores

The Holy and Exalted Empire of Valentian Elysium

Do you wanna build a snowman an embassy?
Don't mind me, I'm just trying to get my taxation and corruption down...somehow. And wash them hands!

Phoenicaea
Ambassador

Founded: May 24, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Phoenicaea » Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:13 am

^i suggest: we have two kind of causes for discrepancies of cases you see. beforehand, scientific causes, regarding to features of the agent, medicine.

i would say secondarely, organization causes, sample given lazarettes in fleu province and not proper hospitals, eccetera eccetera.

what i wished to say? don t forget scientific discourse comes before.
Last edited by Phoenicaea on Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lost Memories
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Lost Memories » Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:31 am

Galloism wrote:
(Image)

That's just show how wide is the uncertainty, too little reliable informations released, even with apparently tens of thousands confirmed cases in china, over 1000 deaths, 4000 recovered, apparently no reliable information have been released about all those cases.
So the estimates have too little data to be based on.

It also shows that whichever study came out stating a clear cut mortality rate (2% for example) was full of shit, or they had informations kept away from public view. (or the studies had also stated confidence intervals, which were ignored by the media to make a bigger headline)
Last edited by Lost Memories on Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

hmag

-The Fox and the Grapes

Not-asimov

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General