NATION

PASSWORD

The 2019-2020 Coronavirus outbreak thread

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Bienenhalde
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 11, 2017
Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Bienenhalde » Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:36 pm

Catburg wrote:https://www.asiatimes.com/2019/10/article/you-can-never-be-chinas-friend-spengler/

China is amoral familist due to Confucianism. Note that such amoral familism could be corrected and is corrected in Taiwan, Hong Kong and Singapore.

Wouldn't Taiwan, Hong Kong, and Singapore be more strongly Confucian due to lack of communist influence? Your argument doesn't really make sense.

Catburg
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 27, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Catburg » Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:37 pm

https://mobile.twitter.com/V771UV2lZNbx ... 3494644736

Hubei Province has been pretty much quarantined by its neighbors. The amount of patients are probably about 200,000 throughout China.

Dragonisia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Antiquity
New York Times Democracy

Postby Dragonisia » Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:38 pm

Anyone pointed out yet that Patient 0 was id'd as originating from the fish market across the river from the PRC Bio Weapon's lab 20 miles away in Wuhan?

Lets do some math..

Bioweapons lab...

River.....

Fish.........

Person touched/bought fish from fish market that is next to the river.. and I think it's even down-stream...........................................................................

Rogue bioweapon? Weaponized corona?

Could be that, could be natural.. could be someone else pinning the blame on China.. but the thought this is NOT a natural virus, and how would you know if it's not?... very alarming. Could explain the death rate for its class of virus.

I can't help but getting this vision of some worker not taking the time to properly dispose of materials and it ending up in the rivers then someone picking out an infected fish.
Last edited by Dragonisia on Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:41 pm, edited 4 times in total.
APROUDMEMBEROF
THENEW PACIFICORDER

Personal Motto: L'État, c'est moi
Full Country Name: Dragonisia (PT), Dragonisia (MT), The Dragonisian Collective of Individual Personas(FT)
Demonym: Dragonisian
Rulers: Emperor Maelstrom Vortex, Empress Koudoawaia Vortex
Capital: Dragonisia
Government Type: Absolute Imperial with a representative democratic legislature. (PT/MT) Collective of DIstinct Minds (FT)
https://www.nationstates.net/nation=dragonisia/detail=factbook
Tech: Willing to play at any tech range and fiction class.
Foreign Policy: Unrestricted Diplomacy
Economic Left/Right: -4.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 1.64
More than you.
Likely, less than you. I've been inactive for a little while. This will likely change quickly.

Lord Dominator
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 22, 2016
Right-wing Utopia

Postby Lord Dominator » Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:14 pm

Catburg wrote:https://www.asiatimes.com/2019/10/article/you-can-never-be-chinas-friend-spengler/

China is amoral familist due to Confucianism. Note that such amoral familism could be corrected and is corrected in Taiwan, Hong Kong and Singapore.

Your source is one rather racist opinion article/interview. Not a great base of support.

Catburg
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Catburg » Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:38 pm

Lord Dominator wrote:

Your source is one rather racist opinion article/interview. Not a great base of support.

Lol what? It’s David Goldman. His views on China aren’t always correct but they are definitely a lot more accurate than that of most Westerners.

Amoral familism is a fucking social illness that needs to be cured and can be cured. That’s it.
Last edited by Catburg on Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Major-Tom
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 09, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Major-Tom » Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:40 pm

Catburg wrote:https://mobile.twitter.com/V771UV2lZNbxb7e/status/1220788213494644736

Hubei Province has been pretty much quarantined by its neighbors. The amount of patients are probably about 200,000 throughout China.

200,000? Horseshit haha.

Bienenhalde
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 11, 2017
Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Bienenhalde » Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:43 pm

Catburg wrote:
Lol what? It’s David Goldman. His views on China aren’t always correct but they are definitely a lot more accurate than that of most Westerners.

Goldman is an economist and business man, not a historian, a philosopher, or an anthropologist. He is not an expert in classical Chinese philosophy or Chinese history. Despite his personal experience in China, I don't get the impression that he has a very good idea of what China was like before the Communists took over. Besides, it does appear that his views are heavily colored by anti-Chinese racism.
Last edited by Bienenhalde on Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lord Dominator
Powerbroker

Right-wing Utopia

Postby Lord Dominator » Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:51 pm

Catburg wrote:
Lord Dominator wrote:Your source is one rather racist opinion article/interview. Not a great base of support.

And? As far as I can tell tell he's an economist, which doesn't at all translate to any of his claims on history (including some very basic errors) or the social nature of the Chinese being correct.
Amoral familism is a fucking social illness that needs to be cured and can be cured. That’s it.

Perhaps, but your only source of this being a thing in China is this one article, which isn't much convincing to myself or I think others here.

Edit: the post directly above said everything better than I could or did.
Last edited by Lord Dominator on Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lamenia
Spokesperson

Founded: Dec 21, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Lamenia » Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:51 pm

The virus has reached japan. I know this isn't news, but imagine.
>infected man flies to Toyko
>man coughs without covering on public transport
>8 people are now infected with the disease
>most of these people make their way to a city square
And now Toyko is, without a shadow of a doubt:
Fucked.
This could happen in any major city, BTW. Even my hometown of Boston. Some guy is gross on a train, and before you can blink, city's gone.
This is bad. Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeal effing bad.

Catburg
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Catburg » Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:59 pm

Lamenia wrote:The virus has reached japan. I know this isn't news, but imagine.
Fucked.
This could happen in any major city, BTW. Even my hometown of Boston. Some guy is gross on a train, and before you can blink, city's gone.

8? We need a source.

I have faith in Japan.
Last edited by Catburg on Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lamenia
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Lamenia » Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:01 pm

Catburg wrote:
Lamenia wrote:The virus has reached japan. I know this isn't news, but imagine.
Fucked.

8? We need a source.

This is a hypothetical. A very plausible one, for that matter.

Catburg
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Catburg » Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:03 pm

Lord Dominator wrote:
Catburg wrote:

And? As far as I can tell tell he's an economist, which doesn't at all translate to any of his claims on history (including some very basic errors) or the social nature of the Chinese being correct.

Perhaps, but your only source of this being a thing in China is this one article, which isn't much convincing to myself or I think others here.

He is surely not the only person talking along these lines. There are many folks in the online Chinese community who have similar views. The only thing unique about David Goldman is that he ISN’T Chinese and can still know China enough to have Chinese-level understanding.

Satuga
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 27, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Satuga » Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:06 pm

Lamenia wrote:This is a hypothetical. A very plausible one, for that matter.

Japan has the best health science and development in the world, even if a mass amount of people were infected their hospitals would be more than well equipped to handle it.
Alt-Acc: Kronotek.
Funny quotes:
Infected Mushroom wrote:I don’t like democracy. It’s messy, disorderly, unclean.

I much prefer uniforms, soldiers, clear lines of authority, order.
Tarsonis wrote:
Fartsniffage wrote:Can the pair of you go do it in one of the myriad American politics threads?

(Image)

So help me I will throw your tea into the harbor again

Catburg
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Catburg » Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:08 pm

Bienenhalde wrote:
Catburg wrote:

Goldman is an economist and business man, not a historian, a philosopher, or an anthropologist. He is not an expert in classical Chinese philosophy or Chinese history. Despite his personal experience in China, I don't get the impression that he has a very good idea of what China was like before the Communists took over. Besides, it does appear that his views are heavily colored by anti-Chinese racism.

I think his views are fair criticism that lots of Chinese people have made on China. When we say that the society in China is a 互害社会 we are exactly talking about the same issues he mentioned. These issues are real and you don’t need to hate Chinese people to recognize them.

We can take care of our own issues and don’t need your pity.
Last edited by Catburg on Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lamenia
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Lamenia » Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:09 pm

Satuga wrote:
Lamenia wrote:This is a hypothetical. A very plausible one, for that matter.

Japan has the best health science and development in the world, even if a mass amount of people were infected their hospitals would be more than well equipped to handle it.

Fair, but i said this could happen in pretty much any city with more than ~500,000 people.

Aureumterra
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 25, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Aureumterra » Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:09 pm

Vaccine work begins in the US

Let’s hope our cure gets to 100% before the virus infects all of humanity, including Greenland!
NS Parliament: Aditya Sriraam - Unity and Consolidation Party
Latin American Political RP
RightValues
Icelandic Civic Nationalist and proud
I’m your average Íslandic NS player
I DO NOT USE NS STATS!
A 12 civilization, according to this index.
Scary Right Wing Capitalist who thinks the current state of the world (before the pandemic) is the best it had been

Lamenia
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Lamenia » Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:12 pm

Aureumterra wrote:Vaccine work begins in the US

Let’s hope our cure gets to 100% before the virus infects all of humanity, including Greenland!

Aye. I'm scared how fast paced this epidemic is. This thread started 5 days ago, and the shit we're in has gotten so much deeper.

Satuga
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Satuga » Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:12 pm

Man this ain't plague inc, we're not about to go extinct because of this.
Funny quotes:
Infected Mushroom wrote:I don’t like democracy. It’s messy, disorderly, unclean.

Tarsonis wrote:
Fartsniffage wrote:Can the pair of you go do it in one of the myriad American politics threads?

(Image)

Lord Dominator
Powerbroker

Right-wing Utopia

Postby Lord Dominator » Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:16 pm

Catburg wrote:
Lord Dominator wrote:And? As far as I can tell tell he's an economist, which doesn't at all translate to any of his claims on history (including some very basic errors) or the social nature of the Chinese being correct.

He is surely not the only person talking along these lines. There are many folks in the online Chinese community who have similar views. The only thing unique about David Goldman is that he ISN’T Chinese and can still know China enough to have Chinese-level understanding.

Views that Chinese people (ie themselves, based on your phrasing) can't have true friends and are only attracted to power? Oddly I find that hard to believe.
We can take care of our own issues and don’t need your pity.

Why do you keep talking about them here then, if you don't think we should be talking about them?
Last edited by Lord Dominator on Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lamenia
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Lamenia » Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:16 pm

Satuga wrote:

Man this ain't plague inc, we're not about to go extinct because of this.

So far this is going exactly like a game of plague inc. I'm not saying it is but... Christ.

Aureumterra
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 25, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Aureumterra » Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:16 pm

Lamenia wrote:

Aye. I'm scared how fast paced this epidemic is. This thread started 5 days ago, and the shit we're in has gotten so much deeper.

It’s a coronavirus, your immume system can usually take care of it. You’re not at risk of death unless you already have severe respiratory or heart problems. Chill out
NS Parliament: Aditya Sriraam - Unity and Consolidation Party
Latin American Political RP
RightValues
Icelandic Civic Nationalist and proud
I’m your average Íslandic NS player
I DO NOT USE NS STATS!
A 12 civilization, according to this index.
Scary Right Wing Capitalist who thinks the current state of the world (before the pandemic) is the best it had been

Neanderthaland
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 10, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Neanderthaland » Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:17 pm

It's developed:
"Inovio was able to receive the sequence of the virus from the Chinese authorities and designed a new vaccine in about two hours"

But nobody's going to get it anytime soon:
"Inovio estimates the vaccine will be available for human testing by early summer."
Ug make fire. Mod ban Ug.

Lamenia
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Lamenia » Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:21 pm

Aureumterra wrote:
Lamenia wrote:Aye. I'm scared how fast paced this epidemic is. This thread started 5 days ago, and the shit we're in has gotten so much deeper.

It’s a coronavirus, your immume system can usually take care of it. You’re not at risk of death unless you already have severe respiratory or heart problems. Chill out

"chill out"? People are collapsing on the streets!
https://twitter.com/badiucao/status/1220374770308374528
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/10808633/ ... ombieland/

Satuga
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Satuga » Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:21 pm

Neanderthaland wrote:

It's developed:
"Inovio was able to receive the sequence of the virus from the Chinese authorities and designed a new vaccine in about two hours"

But nobody's going to get it anytime soon:
"Inovio estimates the vaccine will be available for human testing by early summer."

Well in terms of how long vaccines normally take to be tested and declared safe for human use, this is actually really fast. Not to mention as long as it doesn't spread to other medically low developed countries the deaths will be rather low.
Funny quotes:

Tarsonis wrote:

(Image)

Castelia
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 04, 2015
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Castelia » Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:21 pm

https://www.cnnphilippines.com/news/202 ... se-PH.html

Still no confirmed cases in the Philippines, my home country. I guess I should be thankful?
"They say I'm insane, but take a look at the world and tell me the pleasures of sanity."
My IRL politics are simple: anti-Chinese Communist Party. If a view is anti-CCP, no matter how bad it is, that's my view.

Welcome to the Casteliaverse! | Factbook Repository
A 10.125 civilization, according to this index, and a Class 1 Civilization according to this index.
I DO NOT USE NS STATS. This nation does not represent my IRL views.
This spoiler is a tribute to Vanquaria, whose level of based I aspire to achieve one day.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General