NATION

PASSWORD

Right Wing Discussion Thread XIX

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Would you support a Chinese-Style lockdown in your country to contain the Coronavirus?

Yes
48%
No
38%
Unsure
14%

Total votes : 328

Diopolis
Post Marshal

Founded: May 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Diopolis » Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:45 am

The East Marches II wrote:
Diopolis wrote:Go ahead. A good portion of us are bored stuck at home anyways.

There is a common belief taught among the upper ranks in Turkey that America is effectively run by Jews. The easiest way to insure themselves is to keep good relations with Israel especially in regards to defense. This keeps the human rights brigades at bay. Even Mr. Erdogan won't halt defense cooperation. Having a big thonk!

Easy to see from the outside, isn't it?
Texas nationalist, right-wing technocrat, radical social conservative, post-liberal.

LiberNovusAmericae
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 10, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby LiberNovusAmericae » Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:45 am

North German Realm wrote:
Salus Maior wrote:
My ideal society would be a multicultural/racial one with a shared religion to maintain coherence and brotherhood.

I'm, ironically enough, the opposite. A monocultural country (not necessarily ethno-homogeneous) is a lot more coherent than a mono-religious one.

I think your ideal society would be more stable. Culture has a unifying effect.

The East Marches II
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 11, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby The East Marches II » Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:48 am

Diopolis wrote:
There is a common belief taught among the upper ranks in Turkey that America is effectively run by Jews. The easiest way to insure themselves is to keep good relations with Israel especially in regards to defense. This keeps the human rights brigades at bay. Even Mr. Erdogan won't halt defense cooperation. Having a big thonk!

Easy to see from the outside, isn't it?

This is my official statement.

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:49 am

Hanafuridake wrote:
Salus Maior wrote:
My ideal society would be a multicultural one with a shared religion.

Don't really see the appeal.

I appreciate other cultures *shrug*. Particularly the various Christian ones.
Traditionalist Catholic, Constitutional Monarchist, Habsburg Nostalgic, Distributist, Disillusioned Millennial.

"In any case we clearly see....That some opportune remedy must be found quickly for the misery and wretchedness pressing so unjustly on the majority of the working class...it has come to pass that working men have been surrendered, isolated and helpless, to the hardheartedness of employers and the greed of unchecked competition." -Pope Leo XIII, Rerum Novarum

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:49 am

LiberNovusAmericae wrote:
North German Realm wrote:I'm, ironically enough, the opposite. A monocultural country (not necessarily ethno-homogeneous) is a lot more coherent than a mono-religious one.

I think your ideal society would be more stable. Culture has a unifying effect.

Religion is also a form of culture.
Traditionalist Catholic, Constitutional Monarchist, Habsburg Nostalgic, Distributist, Disillusioned Millennial.

"In any case we clearly see....That some opportune remedy must be found quickly for the misery and wretchedness pressing so unjustly on the majority of the working class...it has come to pass that working men have been surrendered, isolated and helpless, to the hardheartedness of employers and the greed of unchecked competition." -Pope Leo XIII, Rerum Novarum

LiberNovusAmericae
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 10, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby LiberNovusAmericae » Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:51 am

Salus Maior wrote:
LiberNovusAmericae wrote:I think your ideal society would be more stable. Culture has a unifying effect.

True, but there is more to culture than just religion.

Imperium Romanum Sanctis
Envoy

Founded: Jun 19, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Imperium Romanum Sanctis » Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:57 am

Hanafuridake wrote:
Joohan wrote:Anyone care to share their xenophilial tendancies?

I've been delving into Song dynasty China because of my fondness for Song Neo-Confucianism. I'd like to buy some clothes based on the period to larp as a Confucian bureaucrat.

You might find the hats rather annoying.

You probably already know this, but they were designed to be intentionally long and uncomfortable, so that the emperor's court officials couldn't whisper into each others' ears and engage in gossip/typical eunuch stuff.

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:02 pm

LiberNovusAmericae wrote:
Salus Maior wrote:

True, but there is more to culture than just religion.

Indeed, but likewise religion as a form of culture can also have a unifying effect.

Imperium Romanum Sanctis
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Imperium Romanum Sanctis » Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:05 pm

Salus Maior wrote:
LiberNovusAmericae wrote:I think your ideal society would be more stable. Culture has a unifying effect.

In some cases, sure, but nowadays it's mostly a cultural component or complementary aspect of broader cultural groups.

The era when religion definitively was the defining aspect of one's culture/identity largely died (at least in the case of Europe/Western civilization) with the High Middle Ages and Early Modern Period.

The East Marches II
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The East Marches II » Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:05 pm

Salus Maior wrote:

My ideal society would be a multicultural/racial one with a shared religion to maintain coherence and brotherhood.

Der Ewige Hapsperger

Joohan
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 11, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Joohan » Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:05 pm

Imperium Romanum Sanctis wrote:
Hanafuridake wrote:
I've been delving into Song dynasty China because of my fondness for Song Neo-Confucianism. I'd like to buy some clothes based on the period to larp as a Confucian bureaucrat.

You probably already know this, but they were designed to be intentionally long and uncomfortable, so that the emperor's court officials couldn't whisper into each others' ears and engage in gossip/typical eunuch stuff.

i'm sorry... Hu-What?

Edit: Didn't really work out too well did it?
Last edited by Joohan on Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
If you need a witness look to yourself

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism!

Albennia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Feb 16, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Albennia » Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:05 pm

Japan, the Sakha, and the Malagasy.

Diopolis
Post Marshal

Founded: May 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Diopolis » Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:07 pm

Salus Maior wrote:

In some cases, sure, but nowadays it's mostly a cultural component or complementary aspect of broader cultural groups.

The era when religion definitively was the defining aspect of one's culture/identity largely died (at least in the case of Europe/Western civilization) with the High Middle Ages and Early Modern Period.

You may have noticed this, but he wants to go back to those days.
Texas nationalist, right-wing technocrat, radical social conservative, post-liberal.

Imperium Romanum Sanctis
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Imperium Romanum Sanctis » Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:08 pm

Joohan wrote:

i'm sorry... Hu-What?

Yeah, it was quite silly and short-sighted.

Then again, the Song were really just a discount version of the Tang Dynasty. Militarily they were never particularly strong, and their dynasty ultimately got wrecked by barbarian invaders.

Hanafuridake
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 09, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Hanafuridake » Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:08 pm

Hanafuridake wrote:

Ingenious.
Nation name in proper language: 花降岳|पुष्पद्वीप
Theravada Buddhist
李贽 wrote:There is nothing difficult about becoming a sage, and nothing false about transcending the world of appearances.
Suriyanakhon's alt, finally found my old account's password

Albennia
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Albennia » Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:09 pm

Salus Maior wrote:

indeed, it sort of stopped having the appeal when the people fucking Northumbria over were Christian Scots and Normans instead of Norse heathens.

The East Marches II
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The East Marches II » Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:09 pm

Daily Reminder: Bismarck did nothing wrong

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:10 pm

Salus Maior wrote:

Der Ewige Hapsperger

Yes.

Imperium Romanum Sanctis
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Imperium Romanum Sanctis » Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:12 pm

Diopolis wrote:

Oh... yes.

That's a fair point. Mea culpa.

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:12 pm

Diopolis wrote:

To a degree, I think many people are already in those days considering modern secularism has wedged itself into power. Lots of devout Christians are at odds with mainstream culture and are unable to identify with it, separating themselves into a subculture defined by their faith.

Albennia
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Albennia » Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:13 pm

Salus Maior wrote:
Diopolis wrote:You may have noticed this, but he wants to go back to those days.

To a degree, I think many people are already in those days considering modern secularism has wedged itself into power. Lots of devout Christians are at odds with mainstream culture and are unable to identify with it, separating themselves into a subculture defined by their faith.

Oh, you don't even know how much of a good idea you just gave me

Joohan
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 11, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Joohan » Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:14 pm

Joohan wrote:
i'm sorry... Hu-What?

Then again, the Song were really just a discount version of the Tang Dynasty. Militarily they were never particularly strong, and their dynasty ultimately got wrecked by barbarian invaders.

I will give it to the Chinese - they bounce back WAY better from barbarian invasions than the Romans ever did. The mongols of the Yuan dynasty seemed to be far more successful in their assimilation than what the Franks pretended to be in the Holy Roman Empire.

Edit: I know that there is a lot of nuisance to that, so no one crucify me.
Last edited by Joohan on Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you need a witness look to yourself

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism!

Wheatonleks
Secretary

Founded: Mar 22, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Wheatonleks » Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:17 pm

Bear Stearns wrote:I disagree with libertarians on a lot, but food deserts are bunk. Most poor people are overweight/obese because of their own decisions. Allow me to demonstrate with a quick, nonscientific example. I have the Ubereats page for McDonald's pulled up in front of me.

-Big Mac - $6.71 - 540 calories
-Southwest Salad - $5.99 - 220 calories

Which do you is more popular at the McDonald's in the ghetto?

For similar reasons, zero-calorie White Claw costs the same as your regular beers (Miller, Coors, Bud, etc.), yet the same people are gravitating towards Bud Light Cheladas and malt liquor.

The idea of poor-people eating out is so silly to me because that’s so much more expensive than just cooking up some of your own food, I think the whole “food desert” thing is just statist nonsense to justify wasting taxpayer dollars on programs like food stamps to stop the poor from working out of their situation

Imperium Romanum Sanctis
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Imperium Romanum Sanctis » Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:20 pm

Albennia wrote:

indeed, it sort of stopped having the appeal when the people fucking Northumbria over were Christian Scots and Normans instead of Norse heathens.

It was ultimately a by-product of the collapse of the Roman Empire.

The unifying Roman culture/civilization was gone, and something needed to fill the void. The invading barbarians' cultures weren't really an option, since they were a small minority in their newly conquered lands and their cultural practices left a lot to be desires; so the Church became the new unifier. Of course, the Church had very little in the way of a military, and needed to come to some sort of arrangement with the barbarian warlords.

Thus European feudalism was born.

It was far from ideal, but there wasn't much of an alternative; and the moment actual nation-states became viable once again in the Early Modern period the whole "religion as the mainstream form of identity" phenomenon largely died, along with Feudalism. The former did see a brief revival in some parts of Europe during the Protestant Reformation, but that was moreso a transition phase.

Imperium Romanum Sanctis
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Imperium Romanum Sanctis » Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:34 pm

Joohan wrote:

I will give it to the Chinese - they bounce back WAY better from barbarian invasions than the Romans ever did. The mongols of the Yuan dynasty seemed to be far more successful in their assimilation than what the Franks pretended to be in the Holy Roman Empire.

Edit: I know that there is a lot of nuisance to that, so no one crucify me.

Monoculturalism has its perks.

Trying to govern an empire where 90+% of your subjects are Han Chinese tends to result in the conquerors either assimilating into the dominant culture or eventually being overthrown. Granted, they can refuse to assimilate and stay in power for long periods of time (as was the case with the Qing, who remained Manchu and governed China for 260+ years), but in the end China always has a habit of reverting to Han Chinese rule.

Their big problem though is the Chinese obsession with perfection. Time and time again, China has been on the cusp of global dominance only for some stupid policy or mindset to ruin everything and set them back by centuries. A notable example would be in the early 1400's when the Ming Dynasty (which had just recently explored the East coast of Africa and had the potential to get a headstart on the Europeans in the colonial game) randomly decided to burn its exploration fleet and abandon all future voyages of discovery because China was "already perfect" and didn't need to explore the world. The idea was that China was already the center of global trade, and would forever remain so; thus there was no reason for China to explore or establish colonies overseas. The world would come to them.

Well centuries of stagnation followed, and the world did indeed eventually come to China. Except when it came, it brought vastly advanced ships and armaments that destroyed China's navy, routed its armies and brought the country to its knees.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General