NATION

PASSWORD

Virginia declares emergency Militias threaten to seize Gov.

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Telconi
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Telconi » Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:12 pm

Nazeroth wrote:
Satuga wrote:"Neo-nazis" lmao

imagine being so brainwashed that you think a 30K+ people owning guns and being peaceful and asking for freedom of speech and firearms to be "neo-nazis"

I will say this, if the democrats win, we DESERVE whatever tyranny comes.

Implying it's possible to inflict tyranny upon Democrats.
-2.25 LEFT
-3.23 LIBERTARIAN

PRO:
-Weapons Rights
-Gender Equality
-LGBTQ Rights
-Racial Equality
-Religious Freedom
-Freedom of Speech
-Freedom of Association
-Life
-Limited Government
-Non Interventionism
-Labor Unions
-Environmental Protections
ANTI:
-Racism
-Sexism
-Bigotry In All Forms
-Government Overreach
-Government Surveillance
-Freedom For Security Social Transactions
-Unnecessary Taxes
-Excessively Specific Government Programs
-Foreign Entanglements
-Religious Extremism
-Fascists Masquerading as "Social Justice Warriors"

"The Constitution is NOT an instrument for the government to restrain the people,it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government-- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." ~ Patrick Henry

Nazeroth
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 16, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Nazeroth » Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:14 pm

Telconi wrote:
Nazeroth wrote:

imagine being so brainwashed that you think a 30K+ people owning guns and being peaceful and asking for freedom of speech and firearms to be "neo-nazis"

I will say this, if the democrats win, we DESERVE whatever tyranny comes.

Implying it's possible to inflict tyranny upon Democrats.

self-imposed tyranny

"STOP hate speech!"

"white people are nazis!", gets arrested " Wait..wait..what????"
Comically Evil Member of the Anti-Democracy League
Government: Tyrannical Feudal Despotism
"Crush your enemies, see them driven before you..."
"The meek will inherit nothing..."
"Behold and despair fools"
"We will sail to a billion worlds...we will sail until every light has been extinguished"

Dome Artan
Spokesperson

Founded: Dec 11, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Dome Artan » Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:15 pm

Nazeroth wrote:
Bienenhalde wrote:
How is threatening a democratically elected legislature by marching around with heavy weaponry not terrorism?

"democratically elected"

let me educate you on something: When your the governor of a province/state in a nation and then you completley go against your entire state/province just because a single city voted you in, your probably not doing your job well, not to mention.

When a party wins control of house, senate and governorship and then enacts what they campaigned on it sure seems like they're following the will of the voting populace.
Paddy O Fernature wrote:
Nazeroth wrote:
yeah, and they couldn't get away with attacking people this time either, a bit hard to show up to a 30K strong armed rally and attack conservatives.

2. Yeah, they were there in small amounts and only because they want weapons to overthrow capitalists.

Actually... despite initial reports, this may not actually be true.

Yeah most post event reporting has antifa not in attendance, mostly because the local groups didn't feel the event was remotely fascist.

Nazeroth
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Nazeroth » Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:16 pm

Dome Artan wrote:
Nazeroth wrote:
"democratically elected"

let me educate you on something: When your the governor of a province/state in a nation and then you completley go against your entire state/province just because a single city voted you in, your probably not doing your job well, not to mention.

When a party wins control of house, senate and governorship and then enacts what they campaigned on it sure seems like they're following the will of the voting populace.
Paddy O Fernature wrote:

Yeah most post event reporting has antifa not in attendance, mostly because the local groups didn't feel the event was remotely fascist.

well, when all your sherrifs are in open rebellion, maybe you had less support than you thought.

which then makes me question the legitamency of the election.
Last edited by Nazeroth on Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We will sail to a billion worlds...we will sail until every light has been extinguished"

Dome Artan
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Dome Artan » Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:29 pm

Nazeroth wrote:
Dome Artan wrote:When a party wins control of house, senate and governorship and then enacts what they campaigned on it sure seems like they're following the will of the voting populace.

well, when all your sherrifs are in open rebellion, maybe you had less support than you thought.

Well after all it was a very tight majority that Democrats received, especially in the Senate, but just because there's a narrow margin of support that doesn't make the election undemocratic which is the point I was trying to make. If people begin to take issue consistently with unfavourable election results than the fabric of a democratic nation will be eroded.

Besides, if the election actually was illegitimate I'm sure the Republican Party would be all over that.

The Emerald Legion
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 18, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby The Emerald Legion » Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:33 pm

Dome Artan wrote:
Nazeroth wrote:

Well after all it was a very tight majority that Democrats received, especially in the Senate, but just because there's a narrow margin of support that doesn't make the election undemocratic which is the point I was trying to make. If people begin to take issue consistently with unfavourable election results than the fabric of a democratic nation will be eroded.

Besides, if the election actually was illegitimate I'm sure the Republican Party would be all over that.

You act like there hasn't been moves to recall Northam for a fortnight.
"23.The unwise man is awake all night, and ponders everything over; when morning comes he is weary in mind, and all is a burden as ever." - Havamal

Nazeroth
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Nazeroth » Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:34 pm

Dome Artan wrote:
Nazeroth wrote:

If i pour shit tons of money into an election and win is that the "will of the people"? as long as it's done legally?

Telconi
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Telconi » Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:44 pm

Dome Artan wrote:
Nazeroth wrote:

That's what's happening.
-2.25 LEFT
-3.23 LIBERTARIAN

PRO:
-Weapons Rights
-Gender Equality
-LGBTQ Rights
-Racial Equality
-Religious Freedom
-Freedom of Speech
-Freedom of Association
-Life
-Limited Government
-Non Interventionism
-Labor Unions
ANTI:
-Racism
-Sexism
-Bigotry In All Forms
-Government Overreach
-Government Surveillance
-Unnecessary Taxes
-Foreign Entanglements
-Religious Extremism

"The Constitution is NOT an instrument for the government to restrain the people,it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government-- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." ~ Patrick Henry

Dome Artan
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Dome Artan » Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:59 pm

Nazeroth wrote:If i pour shit tons of money into an election and win is that the "will of the people"? as long as it's done legally?

Both sides pour money into elections unfortunately theres no way around it. Does more money mean more votes? Yeah most of the time it does, but what choice is there? At the end of the day people have to vote and if one sides voters don't show up in the same numbers simply because of lack of funds then that's on them.

The major problem is not overspending by parties but a lack of participation in the democratic process, which people have taken for granted for decades.
The Emerald Legion wrote:You act like there hasn't been moves to recall Northam for a fortnight.

What motivation do those supporting Northam have to speak out in the same way that people against him are? The voice of dissent is always louder than that of support. That being said I recognize Governor Northam has been heavy-handed with his response to the protest, and over zealous in his characterization of the bad actors involved. But the protest still was carried out (and carried out admirably as many on this thread have been so rightly proud to mention) and aided the public perception of the gun rights activists involved as many citizens of Richmond said.

Nazeroth
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Nazeroth » Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:02 pm

Dome Artan wrote:
Nazeroth wrote:If i pour shit tons of money into an election and win is that the "will of the people"? as long as it's done legally?

Both sides pour money into elections unfortunately theres no way around it. Does more money mean more votes? Yeah most of the time it does, but what choice is there? At the end of the day people have to vote and if one sides voters don't show up in the same numbers simply because of lack of funds then that's on them.

The major problem is not overspending by parties but a lack of participation in the democratic process, which people have taken for granted for decades.
The Emerald Legion wrote:You act like there hasn't been moves to recall Northam for a fortnight.

What motivation do those supporting Northam have to speak out in the same way that people against him are? The voice of dissent is always louder than that of support. That being said I recognize Governor Northam has been heavy-handed with his response to the protest, and over zealous in his characterization of the bad actors involved. But the protest still was carried out (and carried out admirably as many on this thread have been so rightly proud to mention) and aided the public perception of the gun rights activists involved as many citizens of Richmond said.

that dosn't change what I said

are they representing the actual "will of the people"?

if they were, why would such a MASSIVE amount of resistance come up?

Dome Artan
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Dome Artan » Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:15 pm

Nazeroth wrote:
Dome Artan wrote:Both sides pour money into elections unfortunately theres no way around it. Does more money mean more votes? Yeah most of the time it does, but what choice is there? At the end of the day people have to vote and if one sides voters don't show up in the same numbers simply because of lack of funds then that's on them.

The protest consisted of around 22,000 people according to the New York Times. The population of Virginia is over 8.5 million (5.6 million registered voters https://www.elections.virginia.gov/resu ... tatistics/). So while the protest was very large, I'm not sure if it offers any indication about the will of the people even if we allow that all 22,000 are Virginians (likely not).

As for the election results, its like I said originally. In a democratic country with voting rights pretty much universally extended, an election result should (and I would argue must) be considered the will of the people. And this course of action is included in that, after all the Democrats made it clear this was one of their goals so its not as if people are surprised they are pursuing this.

Nazeroth
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Nazeroth » Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:19 pm

Dome Artan wrote:
Nazeroth wrote:

The protest consisted of around 22,000 people according to the New York Times. The population of Virginia is over 8.5 million (5.6 million registered voters https://www.elections.virginia.gov/resu ... tatistics/). So while the protest was very large, I'm not sure if it offers any indication about the will of the people even if we allow that all 22,000 are Virginians (likely not).

As for the election results, its like I said originally. In a democratic country with voting rights pretty much universally extended, an election result should (and I would argue must) be considered the will of the people. And this course of action is included in that, after all the Democrats made it clear this was one of their goals so its not as if people are surprised they are pursuing this.

People WERE surprised by this, that's why the protest was so massive, nobody would have thought they would have jumped to such extremes, and then threaten to use the national guard, and then try to change the recall requirement, and then put a bill forward to criminalize protesting VA government.

Bear Stearns
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 02, 2018
Capitalizt

Postby Bear Stearns » Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:19 pm

Wow guys, I am too late for that totally NAZI and WHITE SUPREMACIST VIOLENT gun rally?
The Bear Stearns Companies, Inc. is a New York-based global investment bank, securities trading and brokerage firm. Its main business areas are capital markets, investment banking, wealth management and global clearing services. Bear Stearns was founded as an equity trading house on May Day 1923 by Joseph Ainslie Bear, Robert B. Stearns and Harold C. Mayer with $500,000 in capital.
383 Madison Ave,
New York, NY 10017
Vince Vaughn

Dome Artan
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Dome Artan » Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:52 pm

Nazeroth wrote:
Dome Artan wrote:The protest consisted of around 22,000 people according to the New York Times. The population of Virginia is over 8.5 million (5.6 million registered voters https://www.elections.virginia.gov/resu ... tatistics/). So while the protest was very large, I'm not sure if it offers any indication about the will of the people even if we allow that all 22,000 are Virginians (likely not).

People WERE surprised by this, that's why the protest was so massive, nobody would have thought they would have jumped to such extremes, and then threaten to use the national guard, and then try to change the recall requirement, and then put a bill forward to criminalize protesting VA government.

The point I've been trying to make is about denying election results. Not everyone is going to be thrilled with election results but calling free and open elections not the will of the people is very concerning to me as it subverts democracy into mob rule (of course there are those that would welcome mob rule but lets leave that for another time and a different thread).

That being said I actually agree with most of what you said, it was too much too quickly as far as gun control goes. However although I'm not entirely clear on what the Democrats promised specifically everyone did know gun control was on the docket. I've commented in a previous response on how poor of a job Northam did handling the situation: state of emergency, white supremacist claims and all so I'm with you on that.

And could I get a source on that last point? I was trying to find an article about a bill criminalizing protest but no such luck, I'm not doubting your veracity I'm just not great at internet navigation.

Nazeroth
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Nazeroth » Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:55 pm

Dome Artan wrote:
Nazeroth wrote:

The point I've been trying to make is about denying election results. Not everyone is going to be thrilled with election results but calling free and open elections not the will of the people is very concerning to me as it subverts democracy into mob rule (of course there are those that would welcome mob rule but lets leave that for another time and a different thread).

That being said I actually agree with most of what you said, it was too much too quickly as far as gun control goes. However although I'm not entirely clear on what the Democrats promised specifically everyone did know gun control was on the docket. I've commented in a previous response on how poor of a job Northam did handling the situation: state of emergency, white supremacist claims and all so I'm with you on that.

And could I get a source on that last point? I was trying to find an article about a bill criminalizing protest but no such luck, I'm not doubting your veracity I'm just not great at internet navigation.

I forgot the bill number, to be honest and am too tired/lazy to grab it(ill post it later, its on my phone)

the point im trying to make is that "free and fair elections" has been ruined.

if the people fairly and freely decide to throw all black people in jail, is that the right move? legal or not?
Last edited by Nazeroth on Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dome Artan
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Dome Artan » Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:22 pm

Nazeroth wrote:
Dome Artan wrote:The point I've been trying to make is about denying election results. Not everyone is going to be thrilled with election results but calling free and open elections not the will of the people is very concerning to me as it subverts democracy into mob rule (of course there are those that would welcome mob rule but lets leave that for another time and a different thread).

I forgot the bill number, to be honest and am too tired/lazy to grab it(ill post it later, its on my phone)

if the people fairly and freely decide to throw all black people in jail, is that the right move? legal or not?

No worries, I appreciate it.

And that is an interesting argument and part of the reason I've come around from being much more inclined towards gun control to more in the middle. The potential for illiberal democracy is always present of course but that doesn't change the fact that an election should be considered the will of the people. Even if the people are morally wrong (as in your scenario) an election like the US has still reflects their will. Faith has to be held in the voting population that they will not be so flagrantly wrong in the sense of your example.

Telconi
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Telconi » Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:24 pm

Dome Artan wrote:
Nazeroth wrote:

No worries, I appreciate it.

And that is an interesting argument and part of the reason I've come around from being much more inclined towards gun control to more in the middle. The potential for illiberal democracy is always present of course but that doesn't change the fact that an election should be considered the will of the people. Even if the people are morally wrong (as in your scenario) an election like the US has still reflects their will. Faith has to be held in the voting population that they will not be so flagrantly wrong in the sense of your example.

Faith contrary to fact is foolish.

Also it's worth noting, that especially in climates of strong opposition, elections result in the will of the majority of people. Any attempt to paint it as the will of "the people" as a single entity is inherently foolish. Millions of people didn't want Northam, and when Northam then makes laws specifically targeting the people who opposed him, it gets awfully sketchy.
Last edited by Telconi on Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-2.25 LEFT
-3.23 LIBERTARIAN

PRO:
-Weapons Rights
-Gender Equality
-LGBTQ Rights
-Racial Equality
-Religious Freedom
-Freedom of Speech
-Freedom of Association
-Life
-Limited Government
-Non Interventionism
-Labor Unions
ANTI:
-Racism
-Sexism
-Bigotry In All Forms
-Government Overreach
-Government Surveillance
-Unnecessary Taxes
-Foreign Entanglements
-Religious Extremism

Nazeroth
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Nazeroth » Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:45 pm

Telconi wrote:
Dome Artan wrote:No worries, I appreciate it.

Faith contrary to fact is foolish.

Also it's worth noting, that especially in climates of strong opposition, elections result in the will of the majority of people. Any attempt to paint it as the will of "the people" as a single entity is inherently foolish. Millions of people didn't want Northam, and when Northam then makes laws specifically targeting the people who opposed him, it gets awfully sketchy.

it turns into the debate of

Listen to the election: That means even evil things are A-OKAY as long as they are "stamped G2G" which would justify every tyrannical government's actions since they were all done "legally"

as far as I'm concerned, due to the tract record of governments and gun control in history, they are the last people i trust.

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:38 pm

Paddy O Fernature wrote:
Nazeroth wrote:
yeah, and they couldn't get away with attacking people this time either, a bit hard to show up to a 30K strong armed rally and attack conservatives.

2. Yeah, they were there in small amounts and only because they want weapons to overthrow capitalists.

Just when you thought they had grown some balls they go and cut em off
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Paddy O Fernature
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 30, 2010
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Paddy O Fernature » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:07 am

Thermodolia wrote:
Paddy O Fernature wrote:

Just when you thought they had grown some balls they go and cut em off

I'd say that's typical of the type that make up Antifa.

Also, in other news...

Say hello to HB 1627, which is the latest proposal in a long list of obvious targeted tyranny, where if passed will make it a criminal offense to criticize the Virginia Governor or his immediate cronies. It's almost like we predicted this earlier when we mentioned that other rights would be under attack following attacks on the 2a..

It's starting to look like Rally 2.0 is already needed as the thin skinned Gov didn't seem to get the memo that the people will not stand for his bullshit and was indeed hurt by people calling him out on his blackface.
Last edited by Paddy O Fernature on Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

Proud Co-Founder of The Axis Commonwealth - Would you like to know more?
SJW! Why? Some nobody on the internet who has never met me accused me of being one, so it absolutely MUST be true! *Nod Nod*

Grinning Dragon
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 16, 2011
Anarchy

Postby Grinning Dragon » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:25 am

Paddy O Fernature wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:Just when you thought they had grown some balls they go and cut em off

I'd say that's typical of the type that make up Antifa.

Also, in other news...

Say hello to HB 1627, which is the latest proposal in a long list of obvious targeted tyranny, where if passed will make it a criminal offense to criticize the Virginia Governor or his immediate cronies. It's almost like we predicted this earlier when we mentioned that other rights would be under attack following attacks on the 2a..

It's starting to look like Rally 2.0 is already needed as the thin skinned Gov didn't seem to get the memo that the people will not stand for his bullshit and was indeed hurt by people calling him out on his blackface.

Doesn't surprise me, after all there was one of those pussies who called the rally terrorism. I don't see how HB1627 is remotely constitutional as that is clearly a 1st Amendment infringement.
Virginia Dem: Gun-Rights Rally Was ‘Terrorism’
Their disdain for anything remotely enumerated is nearly complete.

Then there is this worthless cunt.
Lavin: The Threat Posed By the Richmond Gun Rights Marchers is Masked By Their Whiteness. Guess all of those brown and black toned people were also white, eh?

At this point, the fake news and lamestream media and other worthless pundit are trying their hardest to pain the rally as white supremacist/insurrectionist/terrorism, etc.
Lots of boot lickers out there that have a disdain for individual liberty and those who dare exercise their enumerated rights.
Last edited by Grinning Dragon on Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:35 am, edited 4 times in total.

Ifreann
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 07, 2005
Iron Fist Socialists

Postby Ifreann » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:44 am

Yeah, I bet their problem is things that are enumerated. Definitely. It's only logical that people who disagree with me have absurd, nonsensical reasoning behind their political positions. I am very smart.

Also male genitalia are good and represent strength and bravery and female genitalia are bad and represent weakness and cowardice and this is a very normal thing to believe.
He/Him

beating the devil
we never run from the devil
we never summon the devil
we never hide from from the devil
we never

Satuga
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 27, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Satuga » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:46 am

Ifreann wrote:Yeah, I bet their problem is things that are enumerated. Definitely. It's only logical that people who disagree with me have absurd, nonsensical reasoning behind their political positions. I am very smart.

Also male genitalia are good and represent strength and bravery and female genitalia are bad and represent weakness and cowardice and this is a very normal thing to believe.

Literally never heard of this analogy before.
Alt-Acc: Kronotek.
Funny quotes:
Infected Mushroom wrote:I don’t like democracy. It’s messy, disorderly, unclean.

I much prefer uniforms, soldiers, clear lines of authority, order.
Tarsonis wrote:
Fartsniffage wrote:Can the pair of you go do it in one of the myriad American politics threads?

(Image)

So help me I will throw your tea into the harbor again

Ifreann
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 07, 2005
Iron Fist Socialists

Postby Ifreann » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:53 am

Satuga wrote:
Ifreann wrote:Yeah, I bet their problem is things that are enumerated. Definitely. It's only logical that people who disagree with me have absurd, nonsensical reasoning behind their political positions. I am very smart.

Literally never heard of this analogy before.

It's probably something we shouldn't think about, definitely not reflective of sexist beliefs so deeply ingrained that people don't even recognise the sexism.
He/Him

beating the devil
we never run from the devil
we never summon the devil
we never hide from from the devil
we never

Satuga
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 27, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Satuga » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:56 am

Ifreann wrote:
Satuga wrote:Literally never heard of this analogy before.

It's probably something we shouldn't think about, definitely not reflective of sexist beliefs so deeply ingrained that people don't even recognise the sexism.

Like how men are supposed to have hearts of stone, or that men arent allowed to hit a woman back? Then again were getting a little off topic this is probably something for the femenist thread.
Alt-Acc: Kronotek.
Funny quotes:
Infected Mushroom wrote:I don’t like democracy. It’s messy, disorderly, unclean.

I much prefer uniforms, soldiers, clear lines of authority, order.
Tarsonis wrote:
Fartsniffage wrote:Can the pair of you go do it in one of the myriad American politics threads?

(Image)

So help me I will throw your tea into the harbor again

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General