NATION

PASSWORD

The health and fitness thread 2: 2020 or bust

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Asle Leopolka
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 18, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Asle Leopolka » Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:26 am

Red Roja wrote:I have a fast metabolism. I eat more than most other people I know and yet I am still in good shape. I am 6 ft 1 and 176 pounds.

As for exercise, well as a blue collar worker I got all the exercise I need on days I work.

No resolutions for me.

Enjoy it while you can. It will slow by the time you hit your mid-30s, so try to curb your bad habits well before then.
W̵̲͔͇͒̌̉̆̇͛̋ͅa̸̢̼̺̅̉̊͝l̶̟͈̳̗͒͜l̷̫͝ ̶̱̱̘͖̙̬͖̈́̏̕͘ō̴̼̭̥͔̮̟͒̒͒ͅn̴̖̦͎̯͕̈́̿͘͠ ̸̞̼͉͙́͐̏͝ẗ̴̮͕̰̫̖͉̩̍͆̂͛͝h̵̖̋̉̾̎͆e̸̞̩̳̲͙͎͑ ̴̩̈̽̈́͑S̵̯̮̟͈͎̭͠t̸͍̗̹̬͉̙̓͆̔̿r̸̡̤̺̱̹͈̦͑̈́̅ẹ̶̮͔̳̆͆̄̏̔e̴̢̺͚̠̟͕̋̄̂̓̽͘t̴̢̡̩͙̫̼̚,̸̩̖͌̈́͐̇ ̷̨͐͆P̵̳̦͗r̶̹̪̯͕̬̰̍̓͆o̷̠̱͙̠͔̗̫̽f̶̱͙͇̼̬̮̻̊͌̋į̸̯̩̖͇̍͋̓̾́̏̽ͅt̴͇̬͍̗̺̀̈́̈́͗͊ ̴̧̯̼̩͑̓̒͗i̷̪̲̜̮̼̲̎͑͊̂̕n̶͍̂ ̴͓̻̤̬͎̫̹̎͌̈́́̕͝t̸̺͚͍̕h̷͖͎̙͍̬̫̰̍̀̃̿̓e̷̛̩̔̑̌̾͊ ̵̤̖͎͔͖̂͘͝S̴̳͖̩̪͕̒͒̌͌͝h̷̝͇̱̝̻̓̓͂͑̒ȅ̶̛̞̱̮̏͐͜ḕ̷͙͉̄͜ť̸̫̩̟s̴̲̲̏̑̏̇͆͂͘͜

ᛖᚷᛟ ᛋᚢᛗ ᛒᛖᛋᛏᛁᚨ ᛖᚷᛟ ᚲᚢᛚᛏᚢᛋ
Personality: Chaotic Good | ENTJ | Math dominant | Pro business
Politically: Classical liberal | Pro 2A | Pro Choice | Behavioral economist

Red Roja
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 21, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Red Roja » Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:27 am

Asle Leopolka wrote:
Red Roja wrote:I have a fast metabolism. I eat more than most other people I know and yet I am still in good shape. I am 6 ft 1 and 176 pounds.

As for exercise, well as a blue collar worker I got all the exercise I need on days I work.

No resolutions for me.

Enjoy it while you can. It will slow by the time you hit your mid-30s, so try to curb your bad habits well before then.

Well, I am 31 now and going to be 32 in a couple months.
I hate conservatism. But, I REALLY FUCKING HATE LIBERALISM!!!!!!

Major-Tom
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 09, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Major-Tom » Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:35 am

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:
Rojava Free State wrote:
It also requires someone to be able to swim. I am an expert at the opposite of swimming, which is drowning

A paddle board will get you good leg exercise. The floatation ahead of you make it easy to keep your head above water.

For someone like me who can swim, kicking with a paddle board is unbelievably slow but I do it to try to improve my kicking. I think it's the worst part of my freestyle stroke though for some reason it's a good part of my backstroke.

I can't do butterfly, no-one ever taught me and I go into drown mode.

Ah, but butterfly is such fun once you ignore the agony of it.

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 06, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:50 pm

Asle Leopolka wrote:

No resolutions for me.

I've recently added fish to my diet and finally found a way to maintain my weight without yo yo dieting.
Rojava Free State wrote:Listen yall. I'm only gonna say it once but I want you to remember it. This ain't a world fit for good men. It seems like you gotta be monstrous just to make it. Gotta have a little bit of darkness within you just to survive. You gotta stoop low everyday it seems like. Stoop all the way down to the devil in these times. And then one day you look in the mirror and you realize that you ain't you anymore. You're just another monster, and thanks to your actions, someone else will eventually become as warped and twisted as you. Never forget that the best of us are just the best of a bad lot. Being at the top of a pile of feces doesn't make you anything but shit like the rest. Never forget that.

Phoenicaea
Ambassador

Founded: May 24, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Phoenicaea » Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:37 am

in europe, some and part of me somewhat, we believe in prejudice americans to have less of healthy food avaible, hence wider misery of people at work.

in europe we don t believe in having less misery, yet it fills some towns with unemployement and where poor immigrants live, not citizens if they work.

because of sold food and hospitals in better, so treshold is not high despite prices being higher. please say if you find we see it well.

since thread is said about health, i find it appropriate as well. this couples other prejudice, of america being better for chances, and less familism.
Last edited by Phoenicaea on Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:43 am, edited 6 times in total.

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:09 am

Pax Nerdvana wrote:I want to try to eat healthier, I suppose, and actually try to get some upper body strength. Can anyone give me tips on that? Thanks! Unfortunately for my health, I love food. I think there's a direct correlation between how good something tastes and how bad it is for you. Since last year, what I've done in terms of cardio during the winter is to use the bike down at the gym every other day, so I suppose I'll continue that. Once it warms up, I'll bike outside on my actual bike.

With food, first log for a week what you eat and when. (include waking up and sleeping times too)

Then more specific plans can be made.

In general, cut down on carbs. Especially refined sugars. Replace soft drinks with water. But those are "one size fits all" advices, so ymmv.
The Blaatschapen should resign

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:43 pm

The Blaatschapen wrote:
Pax Nerdvana wrote:I want to try to eat healthier, I suppose, and actually try to get some upper body strength. Can anyone give me tips on that? Thanks! Unfortunately for my health, I love food. I think there's a direct correlation between how good something tastes and how bad it is for you. Since last year, what I've done in terms of cardio during the winter is to use the bike down at the gym every other day, so I suppose I'll continue that. Once it warms up, I'll bike outside on my actual bike.

With food, first log for a week what you eat and when. (include waking up and sleeping times too)

In general, cut down on carbs. Especially refined sugars. Replace soft drinks with water. But those are "one size fits all" advices, so ymmv.

Fish is the best go to if you wanna maintain/lose weight. Low in calories but high in protein

Is it good for you? yes
Does it taste bad? Maybe? idk, I hated tilapia at first but overtime I've acquired a taste for it
Last edited by Rojava Free State on Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rojava Free State wrote:Listen yall. I'm only gonna say it once but I want you to remember it. This ain't a world fit for good men. It seems like you gotta be monstrous just to make it. Gotta have a little bit of darkness within you just to survive. You gotta stoop low everyday it seems like. Stoop all the way down to the devil in these times. And then one day you look in the mirror and you realize that you ain't you anymore. You're just another monster, and thanks to your actions, someone else will eventually become as warped and twisted as you. Never forget that the best of us are just the best of a bad lot. Being at the top of a pile of feces doesn't make you anything but shit like the rest. Never forget that.

Cisairse
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 17, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Cisairse » Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:01 pm

Rojava Free State wrote:
The Blaatschapen wrote:

Fish is the best go to if you wanna maintain/lose weight. Low in calories but high in protein

Is it good for you? yes
Does it taste bad? Maybe? idk, I hated tilapia at first but overtime I've acquired a taste for it

Salmon is great. If you have access to a Costco or BJ's, you can get piles of great-tasting easy-to-cook fish for dirt cheap.
The details of the above post are subject to leftist infighting.

I officially endorse Fivey Fox for president of the United States.

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:13 pm

Cisairse wrote:
Rojava Free State wrote:

Is it good for you? yes

Salmon is great. If you have access to a Costco or BJ's, you can get piles of great-tasting easy-to-cook fish for dirt cheap.

Well shit, there's a costcos right by my job

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Founded: May 22, 2017
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:13 am

Cisairse wrote:
Rojava Free State wrote:

Is it good for you? yes

Salmon is good. We had some for dinner last night.
The Internet killed gun control.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
They can’t stop the Signal
"The universe did never make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract."
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability
Suitability (.22LR for squirrels, bigger .22s for long range little things, and big-bore for legal hunting reasons, etc)
Ammunition supply-chain (6.5x55 Swede and .303 British, although available, isn't exactly everywhere)
If it's ugly, uncomfortable, and can't shoot straight, but it accomplishes the above, then it's either a Mosin or a Hi-Point."
-Hurtful Thoughts on stuff you want in a gun

Novus America
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 02, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:18 am

A lot depends on what you goals are. Getting reasonably fit and getting totally cut are different goals (and actually very low body fat, required to look really cut can lead to issues).

I am just trying to get more fit, not completely cut. So I focus more on managing amounts than only eating low fat foods. I only eat one meal a day, so that way I can eat more what I want, (within reason) without gaining weight. Of course this is not ideal to really look cut, but I am okay with just being moderately fit (able to run, climb and carry heavy things) rather than the look.

But this might not work for everyone.

It really depends what you goal is.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Zombie Ike/Teddy Roosevelt 2020.

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.
Think something like prewar Fallout, minus the bad stuff.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:48 am

Novus America wrote:A lot depends on what you goals are. Getting reasonably fit and getting totally cut are different goals (and actually very low body fat, required to look really cut can lead to issues).

I am just trying to get more fit, not completely cut. So I focus more on managing amounts than only eating low fat foods. I only eat one meal a day, so that way I can eat more what I want, (within reason) without gaining weight. Of course this is not ideal to really look cut, but I am okay with just being moderately fit (able to run, climb and carry heavy things) rather than the look.

The fully ripped cutting body can't be perfectly maintained for more than maybe a week at best. It's hard to keep off all the bodyfat

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:11 am

Rojava Free State wrote:
Novus America wrote:A lot depends on what you goals are. Getting reasonably fit and getting totally cut are different goals (and actually very low body fat, required to look really cut can lead to issues).

The fully ripped cutting body can't be perfectly maintained for more than maybe a week at best. It's hard to keep off all the bodyfat

True. From what I need men should have minimum of 5% body fat, women around 15%.

Which may be too much to really look super cut, drop below that for long and you can have a lot of health problems.

So it is not what I am going for. My goal is to better be able to run, lift, climb etc, I am okay with some of body fat, so long as it is not enough to weigh me down. I am okay with around 15%. Definitely not more than 20% though.

The real trick is abs. Getting good abs is hard without really low body fat.
But I am okay with the fact I will not have great looking ones.

But that might not be okay with everyone. It really depends on the goals.
15 to 20% is too high for a lot of people to get the look they want.

Also my curse is a like beef and pasta.

Although I do not eat large amounts, all the time, the food I like makes getting much below 15% unlikely, even if I eat it in moderation.

Which I guess is a good question, what body fat to people aim for?
Last edited by Novus America on Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:22 am

Novus America wrote:
Rojava Free State wrote:

True. From what I need men should have minimum of 5% body fat, women around 15%.

Which may be too much to really look super cut, drop below that for long and you can have a lot of health problems.

So it is not what I am going for. My goal is to better be able to run, lift, climb etc, I am okay with some of body fat, so long as it is not enough to weigh me down. I am okay with around 15%. Definitely not more than 20% though.

Although I do not eat large amounts, all the time, the food I like makes getting much below 15% unlikely, even if I eat it in moderation.

My goal is to not look like a fucking pear. I'm trying to get my weight down to around 155 or 160 and keep it there, and right now I'm at 170. I'm gonna really start dieting again in May and hope that by June I can lose most of this weight before I vacation

Goldstandardstan
Lobbyist

Founded: Jan 26, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Goldstandardstan » Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:04 pm

My goals for this year is reaching some lifting weights; 200kg deadlift, 160kg squat and 120kg bench. Current PRs are 160, 140 and 100kg respectively.

Novus America wrote:
Rojava Free State wrote:

I don't really aim for a certain % of bodyfat. I usually dingle around 11 to 15%. Fine with me. I don't want/need to look ripped, I'm on a permabulk anyway.
Last edited by Goldstandardstan on Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Male, 23, Yuropean, Powerlifter AKA powerfatty.
PRO: Gold standard, libertarianism, private schooling, private property, legalization of all drugs, government out of marriage, equality to the law
AGAINST: Socialism and Communism, Fascism, (positive) discrimination laws

Las Islas de Metanoia
Envoy

Founded: Jan 10, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Las Islas de Metanoia » Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:03 pm

Dang it my previous nation was deleted. But nevamind. I can still participate here. Ive visited my former MMA gym recently they replaced it with another gym named after my Nation States Country lol.

https://i.imgur.com/UJpFDGK.jpg

Who here would like to link up IRL social media?

Las Islas de Metanoia
Envoy

Founded: Jan 10, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Las Islas de Metanoia » Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:09 pm

My Samsung Health App said I burned 600 calories while walking and I also burned a total of 1200 Calories after my jog. Is this significant?

https://i.imgur.com/oGIo8fe.jpg

What if I intend to Co take my MMA and weight lifting will it destroy any muscle gains?

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:11 pm

Las Islas de Metanoia wrote:My Samsung Health App said I burned 600 calories while walking and I also burned a total of 1200 Calories after my jog. Is this significant?

What if I intend to Co take my MMA and weight lifting will it destroy any muscle gains?

It'll only destroy your muscle gains if you're consuming less calories than you burn. If you burn 1800 calories a day exercising and you already burn 2000 when resting, it means you burn a total of 3800 calories, so you gotta consume like 4000 calories a day. My suggestion is if all else fails to add up, make yourself some pasta with a whole box, and that'll give you like 1600 extra calories

United Muscovite Nations
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Feb 01, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby United Muscovite Nations » Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:32 pm

I have lost 30 lbs in the last few months.
Grumpy Grandpa of the LWDT and RWDT
Kantian with panentheist and Christian beliefs. Rawlsian Socialist. Just completed studies in History and International Relations. Asexual with sex-revulsion.
The world is grey, the mountains old, the forges fire is ashen cold. No harp is wrung, no hammer falls, the darkness dwells in Durin's halls...
Formerly United Marxist Nations, Dec 02, 2011- Feb 01, 2017. +33,837 posts
Borderline Personality Disorder, currently in treatment. I apologize if I blow up at you. TG me for info, can't discuss publicly because the mods support stigma on mental illness.

Cisairse
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 17, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Cisairse » Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:35 pm

Lately I've been in this bizarro world where I've gained like twenty pounds in a couple months but am on average way hungrier than I feel like I was in past years.
The details of the above post are subject to leftist infighting.

I officially endorse Fivey Fox for president of the United States.

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:35 pm

Las Islas de Metanoia wrote:My Samsung Health App said I burned 600 calories while walking and I also burned a total of 1200 Calories after my jog. Is this significant?

Although lifting will only help so much with MMA where speed and agility are more important than sheer muscle mass.

Most MMA guys are not huge, because too much muscle actually slows you down.

MMA is more a focus on overall fitness, speed and agility and the ability to master your own body weight over huge muscles or big benching big numbers.

So although some lifting helps, too much weight lifting would actually be detrimental.

As far as calories go just make sure to eat enough to offset those you burn.
It is true if your calorie intake is too low, you will lose muscle mass.
Last edited by Novus America on Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:44 pm

Novus America wrote:

Although lifting will only help so much with MMA were speed and agility are more important than sheer muscle mass.

Most MMA guys are not huge, because too much muscle actually slows you down.

MMA is more a focus on overall fitness, speed and agility and the ability to master your own body weight over huge muscles or big benching big numbers.

So although some lifting helps, too much weight lifting would actually be detrimental.

As far as calories go just make sure to eat enough to offset those you burn.
It is true if your calorie intake is too low, you will lose muscle mass.

The body has to make up for a calorie deficit somehow, and if you eat too little one day it may go for fat stores, but after a few days of a calorie defecit, it targets the muscle tissue

Also, as Novus said, if you're trying to be on top of your game in MMA, you don't need to be super big. I've seen small guys take down really big dudes in fights before (not MMA, I mean like real, teeth knocked out, nose broken fights) so it's really more about your skill than your size

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:45 pm

United Muscovite Nations wrote:I have lost 30 lbs in the last few months.

How? Do you mean like "I've been dieting and working out and losing weight" lost 30 pounds or "I'm sick/starving and losing weight in a real bad way" lost 30 pounds?
Last edited by Rojava Free State on Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

United Muscovite Nations
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Feb 01, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby United Muscovite Nations » Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:06 pm

Rojava Free State wrote:
United Muscovite Nations wrote:I have lost 30 lbs in the last few months.

How? Do you mean like "I've been dieting and working out and losing weight" lost 30 pounds or "I'm sick/starving and losing weight in a real bad way" lost 30 pounds?

The former.
Grumpy Grandpa of the LWDT and RWDT
Kantian with panentheist and Christian beliefs. Rawlsian Socialist. Just completed studies in History and International Relations. Asexual with sex-revulsion.
The world is grey, the mountains old, the forges fire is ashen cold. No harp is wrung, no hammer falls, the darkness dwells in Durin's halls...
Formerly United Marxist Nations, Dec 02, 2011- Feb 01, 2017. +33,837 posts
Borderline Personality Disorder, currently in treatment. I apologize if I blow up at you. TG me for info, can't discuss publicly because the mods support stigma on mental illness.

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:09 pm

United Muscovite Nations wrote:
Rojava Free State wrote:

The former.

In that case congratulations.
What specific dietary changes and work outs have you been doing if I may ask?
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General