NATION

PASSWORD

Autistic Discussion Thread

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

How has lockdown affected you?

I am Autistic and it has affected me positively
27%
I am Autistic and it has affected me negatively
41%
I am not autistic/I want to see the results
32%

Total votes : 37

Agarntrop
Powerbroker

Founded: May 14, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Agarntrop » Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:55 am

new poll

Interesting topic personally, I've seen some aspies on r/aspergers who have been positively affected by lockdown, but honestly I think it turns me into a hermit which does way more damage to my self esteem than the pressures of non-lockdown life. The unpredictability of it all isn't good either.
Labour Party (UK), Progressive Democrat (US)
Left Without Edge
Former Senator Barry Anderson (R-MO)

Governor Tara Misra (R-KY)

Representative John Atang (D-NY03)

Governor Max Smith (R-AZ)

State Senator Simon Hawkins (D-IA)

Join Land of Hope and Glory - a UK political RP project

Great Aletia
Spokesperson

Founded: Sep 18, 2018
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Great Aletia » Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:31 am

A preliminary assessment with a psychologist indicated I have enough autistic traits to do a full test. I'm booked in for the 14th. It's going to be looking primarily at aspergers. I'm 27, so if I so have it, there's not much that can be done now.

Greater Aletian Empire

Atheris
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 05, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Atheris » Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:51 am

Neurodivergent here and I'm unsure what to answer on the poll. Lockdown has certainly affected me negatively although I'm not autistic, but I do have a lot of autistic traits (it comes with ADHD lol).

In other news, I want to get an autism test ASAP.
Last edited by Atheris on Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
#FreeNSGRojava
Don't talk to Moderators. Don't associate with Moderators. Don't trust moderators. Moderators lie.
NEW VISAYAN ISLANDS SHOULD RESIGN! HOLD JANNIES ACCOUNTABLE!

SD_Film Artists
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 10, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby SD_Film Artists » Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:34 am

As an 'essential worker' I haven't really had lockdown; I've been unable to go to social groups and visit friends but otherwise it's had a pretty neutral effect on my life. My closest experience of lockdown was when I was in travel quarentine and my introvertedness helped since it was nice to have 2 weeks of me and my laptop with no work to do.
Last edited by SD_Film Artists on Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
Lurking NSG since 2005
Economic Left/Right: -2.62, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.67

When anybody preaches disunity, tries to pit one of us against each other through class warfare, race hatred, or religious intolerance, you know that person seeks to rob us of our freedom and destroy our very lives.

Stellar Colonies
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 27, 2017

Postby Stellar Colonies » Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:38 am

An interesting question, and although my answer spans both answers, I went with the second option.

Lockdown allows me to remain within my comfort zone more, because the remote option - when I am cloaked behind an inactive camera and microphone - is less...stressful? Exhausting?...than being in person, amongst other people. In my gut, I like it more.

However, letting me wallow in that comfort zone is decaying my social skills, since I am not forced to interact with other people as much unless I want to do so. They've always been lacking, but were really improving within the last few years, especially over the course of 2019. With the lockdowns across most of 2020, I haven't been forced as much to interact with other people as much, and remote calls are waaay easier than being in person. Interacting with people outside of my family is how I tend to improve my social skills (since my family is used to me being like this and engages with me on that basis), so I've had far more opportunities to basically slide back to my natural state, which involves limiting my interactions to people only in my own household.

*With the above, I am in no way trying to diminish the very real struggles faced by people under lockdown, including their incomes and very lives being thrown into chaos and ruin. I hate the fact that I am enjoying lockdown on any kind of basis while many people are suffering from it.
Floofybit wrote:Your desired society should be one where you are submissive and controlled
Primitive Communism wrote:What bodily autonomy do men need?
Techocracy101010 wrote:If she goes on a rampage those saggy wonders are as deadly as nunchucks
Parmistan wrote:It's not ALWAYS acceptable when we do it, but it's MORE acceptable when we do it.
Theodorable wrote:Jihad will win.
Distruzio wrote:All marriage outside the Church is gay marriage.
Khardsland wrote:Terrorism in its original definition is a good thing.
I try to be objective, but I do have some biases.

North Californian.
Stellar Colonies is a loose galactic confederacy.

The Confederacy & the WA.

Add 1200 years.

Agarntrop
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Agarntrop » Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:52 am

Stellar Colonies wrote:An interesting question, and although my answer spans both answers, I went with the second option.

Lockdown allows me to remain within my comfort zone more, because the remote option - when I am cloaked behind an inactive camera and microphone - is less...stressful? Exhausting?...than being in person, amongst other people. In my gut, I like it more.

However, letting me wallow in that comfort zone is decaying my social skills, since I am not forced to interact with other people as much unless I want to do so. They've always been lacking, but were really improving within the last few years, especially over the course of 2019. With the lockdowns across most of 2020, I haven't been forced as much to interact with other people as much, and remote calls are waaay easier than being in person. Interacting with people outside of my family is how I tend to improve my social skills (since my family is used to me being like this and engages with me on that basis), so I've had far more opportunities to basically slide back to my natural state, which involves limiting my interactions to people only in my own household.

*With the above, I am in no way trying to diminish the very real struggles faced by people under lockdown, including their incomes and very lives being thrown into chaos and ruin. I hate the fact that I am enjoying lockdown on any kind of basis while many people are suffering from it.

Yes exactly same here
Left Without Edge

Atheris
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Atheris » Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:54 am

Stellar Colonies wrote:An interesting question, and although my answer spans both answers, I went with the second option.

Lockdown's put me through a mental breakdown, huge episodes of RSD and depression, my near failing of the school year, and more self-doubt than I care to admit. Nothing about the last year has been positive for me.
#FreeNSGRojava
Don't talk to Moderators. Don't associate with Moderators. Don't trust moderators. Moderators lie.

Agarntrop
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Agarntrop » Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:55 am

Atheris wrote:

Lockdown's put me through a mental breakdown, huge episodes of RSD and depression, my near failing of the school year, and more self-doubt than I care to admit. Nothing about the last year has been positive for me.

Sorry to hear that
Left Without Edge

Stellar Colonies
Negotiator

Postby Stellar Colonies » Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:57 am

Atheris wrote:

I'm really sorry.

I hope 2021 will be better than last year...
Floofybit wrote:Your desired society should be one where you are submissive and controlled
Techocracy101010 wrote:If she goes on a rampage those saggy wonders are as deadly as nunchucks
Parmistan wrote:It's not ALWAYS acceptable when we do it, but it's MORE acceptable when we do it.

North Californian.

Add 1200 years.

Zemlyakavkaz
Secretary

Founded: Jan 13, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Zemlyakavkaz » Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:22 am

Has anybody else found lockdown to be really good?

Borderlands of Rojava
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 27, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Borderlands of Rojava » Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:29 am

Zemlyakavkaz wrote:Has anybody else found lockdown to be really good?

No. I feel like I'm wasting my life away .
Leftist, commie and Antifa Guy. Democratic Confederalist, Anti-racist

"The devil is out there. Hiding behind every corner and in every nook and cranny. In all of the dives, all over the city. Before you lays an entire world of enemies, and at day's end when the chips are down, we're a society of strangers. You cant walk by someone on the street anymore without crossing the road to get away from their stare. Welcome to the Twilight Zone. The land of plague and shadow. Nothing innocent survives this world. If it can't corrupt you, it'll kill you."

Nuroblav
Minister

Founded: Nov 13, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Nuroblav » Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:41 am

Nope. Boredom all round here. Feeling as if I'm constantly wasting my time etc.
Your NS mutualist(?), individualist, metalhead and all-round...err...human. TG if you have any questions about my political or musical views.

Economic Left/Right: -4.75, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -9.03

\m/ METAL IS BASED \m/

Atheris
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Atheris » Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:35 pm

Absolutely not. Lockdown has been nothing short of a personal hell.
#FreeNSGRojava

Echo Chamber Thought Police
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 25, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Echo Chamber Thought Police » Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:23 pm

Not at all.
Add circa 10,000 posts on to current account, founded May 14th 2018. Agarntrop is other account.
LOHG: A UK-based political RP
OCCUPY THE HEDGEFUNDS - INVEST IN GAMESTOP
Left-leaning Social Democrat
You Have No Authority Here, Jackie Weaver

Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Echo Chamber Thought Police » Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:29 pm

Honestly I am personally pretty tired of all the "autism is a superpower" bullshit that middle class mums like to put about to try and make them feel better about themselves. It borders on indigo child level of ridiculousness. It's called a disorder for a reason.

It dosen't make me feel better about myself at all either. Because I'm not dumb and know it's fake, so whenever its mentioned I actually feel worse about myself because people are resorting to saying stuff that I know is untrue bullshit to compliment me rather than actually focusing on my real strengths which transcend my Aspergers.
Add circa 10,000 posts on to current account, founded May 14th 2018. Agarntrop is other account.

Atheris
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Atheris » Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:16 pm

I hope nobody minds my asking, but has anybody reacted negatively to being diagnosed with autism or some other form of neurodiversity? I was diagnosed with ADHD in third grade, so I've never had the experience of being diagnosed later in life.

One of my headcanons is that one of the main characters in the Ace Attorney Franchise (Athena) is autistic, and I'm planning on writing a fic where she's diagnosed and reacts very negatively towards it due to the stigma around neurodiversity, especially autism. I know what it's like to be neurodivergent (and possibly autistic, although I don't want to say one way or the other until I actually get tested/diagnosed) but I have no clue what it's actually like to be diagnosed since I hardly remember it.

Thanks in advance, and feel free to move to TG's if you don't feel comfortable discussing it on the thread.
#FreeNSGRojava

Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Echo Chamber Thought Police » Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:15 am

Atheris wrote:I hope nobody minds my asking, but has anybody reacted negatively to being diagnosed with autism or some other form of neurodiversity? I was diagnosed with ADHD in third grade, so I've never had the experience of being diagnosed later in life.

One of my headcanons is that one of the main characters in the Ace Attorney Franchise (Athena) is autistic, and I'm planning on writing a fic where she's diagnosed and reacts very negatively towards it due to the stigma around neurodiversity, especially autism. I know what it's like to be neurodivergent (and possibly autistic, although I don't want to say one way or the other until I actually get tested/diagnosed) but I have no clue what it's actually like to be diagnosed since I hardly remember it.

Thanks in advance, and feel free to move to TG's if you don't feel comfortable discussing it on the thread.

i was a bit shocked, idk why

Stellar Colonies
Negotiator

Postby Stellar Colonies » Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:35 pm

Statement Regarding Recent Peer-reviewed Study Published in the Journal Autism Research (Yale School of Medicine)

Yale study on distress in autistic toddlers draws ethics concerns (Yale Daily News)

Hm...basically studying how autistic kids versus typie neurotypical kids respond to things such as a robotic spider, mechanical dinosaur with glowing red eyes, and female strangers wearing grotesque masks like vampires or Star Wars ones, amongst other such stimuli.

ok what

(this is from December, but still)
Last edited by Stellar Colonies on Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

North Californian.

Add 1200 years.

Borderlands of Rojava
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 27, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Borderlands of Rojava » Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:11 am

Echo Chamber Thought Police wrote:
Atheris wrote:I hope nobody minds my asking, but has anybody reacted negatively to being diagnosed with autism or some other form of neurodiversity? I was diagnosed with ADHD in third grade, so I've never had the experience of being diagnosed later in life.

I only told people I knew who have it too. Otherwise its a secret ill take to the grave considering all the fucked up shit I've heard people say over the years about people with autism.

It would be easier to come out as gay to these folks.
Leftist, commie and Antifa Guy. Democratic Confederalist, Anti-racist

"The devil is out there. Hiding behind every corner and in every nook and cranny. In all of the dives, all over the city. Before you lays an entire world of enemies, and at day's end when the chips are down, we're a society of strangers. You cant walk by someone on the street anymore without crossing the road to get away from their stare. Welcome to the Twilight Zone. The land of plague and shadow. Nothing innocent survives this world. If it can't corrupt you, it'll kill you."

Posadist-Communalists
Spokesperson

Founded: Jan 07, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Posadist-Communalists » Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:49 am

It's really sad to see how depressing this thread is. :(

I don't know a great deal about autism tbh, but my dad is a reiki practitoner who specialises in autism. I don't speak to him, so I don't know if what he does is helpful or bullshit, but if anyone has any experience with reiki and autism, I'd be interested to hear. Btw, I'm a sceptic with regards to all this "energy" stuff.
Last edited by Posadist-Communalists on Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Stellar Colonies
Negotiator

Postby Stellar Colonies » Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:47 pm

Posadist-Communalists wrote:It's really sad to see how depressing this thread is. :(

I don't know a great deal about autism tbh, but my dad is a reiki practitoner who specialises in autism. I don't speak to him, so I don't know if what he does is helpful or bullshit, but if anyone has any experience with reiki and autism, I'd be interested to hear. Btw, I'm a sceptic with regards to all this "energy" stuff.

I concur with you on being skeptical regarding it, although the placebo effect may offer a certain measure of help in certain situations.

North Californian.

Add 1200 years.

Xmara
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 31, 2014
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Xmara » Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:20 pm

Posadist-Communalists wrote:It's really sad to see how depressing this thread is. :(

Reiki is a pseudoscience, so probably not that effective.
/ˈzmaːrʌ/
Info
Our Leader
Status- Code Green- All clear
I mostly use NS stats, except for population and tax rates.
We are not Estonia.
A 16.8 civilization, according to this index.
Flag Waver

Support
Ukraine

Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Echo Chamber Thought Police » Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:30 am

I hadn't even heard of reiki until now

Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Echo Chamber Thought Police » Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:33 am

Borderlands of Rojava wrote:
Echo Chamber Thought Police wrote:

I only told people I knew who have it too. Otherwise its a secret ill take to the grave considering all the fucked up shit I've heard people say over the years about people with autism.

It would be easier to come out as gay to these folks.

I don't tell people I know either. I want to be accepted as normal, tbh.

I've been masking a lot over the past few months.

Stellar Colonies
Negotiator

Postby Stellar Colonies » Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:41 pm

North Californian.

Add 1200 years.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General