NATION

PASSWORD

Autistic Discussion Thread

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

How has lockdown affected you?

I am Autistic and it has affected me positively
27%
I am Autistic and it has affected me negatively
41%
I am not autistic/I want to see the results
32%

Total votes : 37

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 06, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:06 pm

Thepeopl wrote:
Rojava Free State wrote:
That mens number has to be underreported. It's probably very similar to the female stats but guys feel they gotta hide their emotions.

Possible, but women can suffer from postpartum depression (due to hormonal imbalances), I don't think men can.
And men might express "depression" differently than women, by substance abuse. Which makes it "not depressive behaviour " in the stats.

I just don't think it's only 7% of men.
Rojava Free State wrote:Listen yall. I'm only gonna say it once but I want you to remember it. This ain't a world fit for good men. It seems like you gotta be monstrous just to make it. Gotta have a little bit of darkness within you just to survive. You gotta stoop low everyday it seems like. Stoop all the way down to the devil in these times. And then one day you look in the mirror and you realize that you ain't you anymore. You're just another monster, and thanks to your actions, someone else will eventually become as warped and twisted as you. Never forget that the best of us are just the best of a bad lot. Being at the top of a pile of feces doesn't make you anything but shit like the rest. Never forget that.

Costa Fierro
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Fierro » Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:14 pm

"Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist." - George Carlin

Nuroblav
Minister

Founded: Nov 13, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Nuroblav » Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:08 am

Not surprised to be honest, given how exploitative it seems - "oh look at these people who are different to us; let's see how they have relationships!". It seems that they are focusing too much on the autistic side rather than anything else.

'Patronising' is putting it too lightly.
Your NS mutualist(?), individualist, metalhead and all-round...err...human. TG if you have any questions about my political or musical views.

Economic Left/Right: -4.75, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -9.03

\m/ METAL IS BASED \m/

Agarntrop
Powerbroker

Founded: May 14, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Agarntrop » Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:16 am

Oooh, I'm subscribed to that sub.

Nuroblav wrote:

Not surprised to be honest, given how exploitative it seems - "oh look at these people who are different to us; let's see how they have relationships!". It seems that they are focusing too much on the autistic side rather than anything else.

'Patronising' is putting it too lightly.

This ^
Labour Party (UK), Progressive Democrat (US)
Left Without Edge
Former Senator Barry Anderson (R-MO)

Governor Tara Misra (R-KY)

Representative John Atang (D-NY03)

Governor Max Smith (R-AZ)

State Senator Simon Hawkins (D-IA)

Join Land of Hope and Glory - a UK political RP project

Thepeopl
Minister

Founded: Feb 24, 2019
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Thepeopl » Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:49 pm

https://neurosciencenews.com/genetics-d ... ess-16691/

A bit of hope for those who suffer from depression. A better treatment, better diagnostics and better health seems to be coming soon.

Great Aletia
Spokesperson

Founded: Sep 18, 2018
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Great Aletia » Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:18 pm

My psychiatrist is pretty sure I have Asperger's. She was going to refer me to a psychologist for an assessment but dropped off the radar two months ago. I've sent emails but heard absolutely nothing. I might have to go elsewhere.

Greater Aletian Empire

Costa Fierro
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Fierro » Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:07 am

Agarntrop wrote:Oooh, I'm subscribed to that sub.

I post in there on occasion.
"Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist." - George Carlin

Thepeopl
Minister

Founded: Feb 24, 2019
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Thepeopl » Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:11 am

https://www.psychiatryadvisor.com/home/ ... epression/

Tl;dr. You could add probiotica to your menu. Bifida bacteria reduces cortisol levels.

Nuroblav
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Nuroblav » Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:25 am

How's the lockdown and all that's been going on been for everyone? Round here it's been alright, although being stuck at home with your family has it's downsides :p
Your NS mutualist(?), individualist, metalhead and all-round...err...human. TG if you have any questions about my political or musical views.

\m/ METAL IS BASED \m/

Borderlands of Rojava
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 27, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Borderlands of Rojava » Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:59 am

Nuroblav wrote:How's the lockdown and all that's been going on been for everyone? Round here it's been alright, although being stuck at home with your family has it's downsides :p

We aren't really locked down in my state anymore but the economy is a Rollercoaster and it's crazy.
Leftist, commie and Antifa Guy. Democratic Confederalist, Anti-racist

"The devil is out there. Hiding behind every corner and in every nook and cranny. In all of the dives, all over the city. Before you lays an entire world of enemies, and at day's end when the chips are down, we're a society of strangers. You cant walk by someone on the street anymore without crossing the road to get away from their stare. Welcome to the Twilight Zone. The land of plague and shadow. Nothing innocent survives this world. If it can't corrupt you, it'll kill you."

Nuroblav
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Nuroblav » Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:27 am

Borderlands of Rojava wrote:We aren't really locked down in my state anymore but the economy is a Rollercoaster and it's crazy.

Where I am we've been starting to come out of it for a while (depending on much constitutes as 'a while')

\m/ METAL IS BASED \m/

Agarntrop
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Agarntrop » Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:50 am

"ABA is not comparable to conversion therapy!!!!!"

ABA: https://youtu.be/JxLyX23L-lY
Last edited by Agarntrop on Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Left Without Edge

Borderlands of Rojava
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Borderlands of Rojava » Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:56 am

Agarntrop wrote:"ABA is not comparable to conversion therapy!!!!!"

Wish people were prejudiced against me for my ethnicity and not for both my ethnicity and this. I guess the thing is I can hide that I was diagnosed with autism pretty well, like I don't gotta try, but it's impossible for me to hide my ethnicity. Even if I try to speak like Brian from Family Guy, I'm visibly foreign, so I guess there's that. I feel for the people who are visibly autistic in some kind of way and can't hide it.
Last edited by Borderlands of Rojava on Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

"The devil is out there. Hiding behind every corner and in every nook and cranny. In all of the dives, all over the city. Before you lays an entire world of enemies, and at day's end when the chips are down, we're a society of strangers. You cant walk by someone on the street anymore without crossing the road to get away from their stare. Welcome to the Twilight Zone. The land of plague and shadow. Nothing innocent survives this world. If it can't corrupt you, it'll kill you."

Nuroblav
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Nuroblav » Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:14 am

Agarntrop wrote:"ABA is not comparable to conversion therapy!!!!!"

Even just noticing the title of the channel and I can tell this'll be fun.

\m/ METAL IS BASED \m/

SD_Film Artists
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 10, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby SD_Film Artists » Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:03 am

Great Aletia wrote:My psychiatrist is pretty sure I have Asperger's. She was going to refer me to a psychologist for an assessment but dropped off the radar two months ago. I've sent emails but heard absolutely nothing. I might have to go elsewhere.

Glad to hear, as at least on paper it's a rarer thing now so we need as many as we can get.
Lurking NSG since 2005
Economic Left/Right: -2.62, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.67

When anybody preaches disunity, tries to pit one of us against each other through class warfare, race hatred, or religious intolerance, you know that person seeks to rob us of our freedom and destroy our very lives.

Agarntrop
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Agarntrop » Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:45 pm

Can I make it clear that I have now rescinded my support for the concept of 'neurodiversity' and other affiliated things.

Autism and Aspergers are disorders and they disadvantage people who have them. That is simply the truth that we should not hide from.

However I still believe that people with Asperger's especially can live fullfilling lives in spite of our disorder that we share and that it is nothing to be ashamed of.
Left Without Edge

Borderlands of Rojava
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Borderlands of Rojava » Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:51 pm

Agarntrop wrote:Can I make it clear that I have now rescinded my support for the concept of 'neurodiversity' and other affiliated things.

Autism and Aspergers are disorders and they disadvantage people who have them. That is simply the truth that we should not hide from.

However I still believe that people with Asperger's especially can live fullfilling lives in spite of our disorder that we share and that it is nothing to be ashamed of.

I only feel disadvantaged by how society would treat me over a label I was given. I dont have trouble doing things in everyday life.

Stellar Colonies
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 27, 2017

Postby Stellar Colonies » Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:43 pm

Agarntrop wrote:Can I make it clear that I have now rescinded my support for the concept of 'neurodiversity' and other affiliated things.

Autism introduces challenges for me with social interactions, which has forced me to practice with them and also made social functions like parties, school rallies (I really hated those rallies), etc. more difficult for me to endure than I would otherwise. I've improved significantly since I was young in this regard, although it still heavily influences my personality and behavior. Perhaps predictably, it has also resulted in me not investing much effort into going out and intentionally forming new friendships (most of the friendships I do have were either initiated by someone else or developed from me needing to interact with that person for one reason or another) and relationships (haven't tried doing this at all). However, it has also enabled me to focus individually on topics and activities which I find fascinating, especially science and history. I'm not sure whether that interest would be as strong if I were 'normal', but if wouldn't be, it is a trade-off with which I am reasonably happy. Many of the times I have been most content were when I was working with something on my own, although I also enjoy spending time with people in the right settings and situations.

I have no clue what my personality, life, and future plans would be like if I were 'normal' (all three would most likely be very different), or if I would be happier that way, but looking at myself from the perspective I currently have, I am also relatively content with living with that disorder (easier and more natural social skills would be useful though).

*Reviewing this post after typing it has made me realize that this is probably a textbook example of someone rationalizing something unavoidable or unfixable as 'good' when it has objectively negatively impacted them (such as someone who was circumcised as an infant insists they are better off and happier that way). Although even with this in mind, I think I would still be very hesitant to take and would likely refuse a hypothetical 'cure' for autism which was made available to me.
Last edited by Stellar Colonies on Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Floofybit wrote:Your desired society should be one where you are submissive and controlled
Primitive Communism wrote:What bodily autonomy do men need?
Techocracy101010 wrote:If she goes on a rampage those saggy wonders are as deadly as nunchucks
Parmistan wrote:It's not ALWAYS acceptable when we do it, but it's MORE acceptable when we do it.
Theodorable wrote:Jihad will win.
Distruzio wrote:All marriage outside the Church is gay marriage.
Khardsland wrote:Terrorism in its original definition is a good thing.
I try to be objective, but I do have some biases.

North Californian.
Stellar Colonies is a loose galactic confederacy.

The Confederacy & the WA.

Add 1200 years.

Borderlands of Rojava
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Borderlands of Rojava » Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:47 pm

As the Jews say, "birth is a beginning, and life is a journey." I view my life as a journey in many respects and my aspergers has been a part of that. Much of my life has just been devoted to me trying to fit in and be like everyone else. It kinda worked but in many ways I just chose Samet Dijani damnation (inside reference, I'll explain only if someone asks what it is).
Last edited by Borderlands of Rojava on Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Papriotho
Lobbyist

Founded: Aug 27, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Papriotho » Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:49 pm

I see a lot of people on this thread who were diagnosed later in life. I wonder what that's like? I was diagnosed after my first few months of kindergarten. I can remember the day in question as a matter of fact. My mother and 2 of my 3 siblings are also autistic.
I’m back to this site again. This nation represents my political beliefs.

For: Capitalism, morality, republicanism, American exceptionalism, Trump, law & order, Christianity, constitutionalism

Against: Communism, moral relativism, social justice, anarchy, apathy, hedonism, cultural marxism, authoritarianism

Copy and paste this into your sig if you think we should colonize other planets

Borderlands of Rojava
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Borderlands of Rojava » Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:51 pm

Papriotho wrote:I see a lot of people on this thread who were diagnosed later in life. I wonder what that's like? I was diagnosed after my first few months of kindergarten. I can remember the day in question as a matter of fact. My mother and 2 of my 3 siblings are also autistic.

I was diagnosed at 4 but wasn't told till I was a teen. I was devastated when I found out.

Papriotho
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Papriotho » Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:12 pm

Borderlands of Rojava wrote:
Papriotho wrote:I see a lot of people on this thread who were diagnosed later in life. I wonder what that's like? I was diagnosed after my first few months of kindergarten. I can remember the day in question as a matter of fact. My mother and 2 of my 3 siblings are also autistic.

I was diagnosed at 4 but wasn't told till I was a teen. I was devastated when I found out.

What did you know about it at the time you were told? Tons of people I've talked to who find out I'm autistic say the same thing to me, "Really? You are? You're so smart and articulate though! You're sure you're autistic?" It's honestly kind of disheartening to see so many people are still in the dark about this disorder. I've felt the negative side of that stereotype plenty of times in my life. I don't mean to imply anything, but for a long time as a kid and well into teenage years, I didn't quite fully understand what it meant in its entirety. I'm still learning new things about myself to this day.

"I guess stupidity and ignorance will never go out of style." - Carth Onasi

For: Capitalism, morality, republicanism, American exceptionalism, Trump, law & order, Christianity, constitutionalism

Against: Communism, moral relativism, social justice, anarchy, apathy, hedonism, cultural marxism, authoritarianism

Xmara
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 31, 2014
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Xmara » Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:13 pm

I have an idea for a new poll. Since we already had "favorite famous autistic person" and "favorite famous suspected autistic person," why not "favorite autistic fictional character" or "favorite character suspected to be on the spectrum?"
/ˈzmaːrʌ/
Info
Our Leader
Status- Code Green- All clear
I mostly use NS stats, except for population and tax rates.
We are not Estonia.
A 16.8 civilization, according to this index.
Flag Waver

Support
Ukraine

Papriotho
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Papriotho » Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:23 pm

Xmara wrote:I have an idea for a new poll. Since we already had "favorite famous autistic person" and "favorite famous suspected autistic person," why not "favorite autistic fictional character" or "favorite character suspected to be on the spectrum?"

I second that. We should definitely work together to contribute characters to that list.

One character that comes to mind for me is Peridot from Steven Universe. She reminds me so much of me as a kid, it's almost scary. I think she's a great representation of autism in a positive light, even if she's technically not on the spectrum. Y'know, being an alien and all that. Anyone else?
Last edited by Papriotho on Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rusozak
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 14, 2015

Postby Rusozak » Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:00 pm

Borderlands of Rojava wrote:

I was diagnosed at 9 or 10 with Aspergers, which I guess is just called autism now because Dr. Asperger was a Nazi or something like that. I don't remember being too phased by it. But it's kind of messed up you were lied to.
NOTE: This nation's government style, policies, and opinions in roleplay or forum 7 does not represent my true beliefs. It is purely for the enjoyment of the game.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General