NATION

PASSWORD

R.I.P.

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Grenartia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 14, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:47 am

Ethel mermania wrote:
Grenartia wrote:
Ok, so, a quick question, and I genuinely mean this. Where's the anti-semitic part? I honestly don't see it.

A fair question.

Because it stigmatizes the hasidic jews as not participating and being offended by standard custom, in a particularly sensitive area. It goes to further define their otherness from mainstream society. "Eww look at what those icky jews do. I say may he rest in peace in sympathy and they get all offended" Particularly when the practice is something they in fact do.

Alright, yeah, I can see the logic there.
Lib-left. Antifascist, antitankie, anti-capitalist, anti-imperialist (including the imperialism of non-western countries). Christian (Unitarian Universalist). Background in physics.
Mostly a girl. She or they pronouns, please. Unrepentant transbian.
Reject tradition, embrace modernity.
People who call themselves based NEVER are.
The truth about kids transitioning.

Purpelia
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:48 am

Great Nortend wrote:
Purpelia wrote:Guess I was wrong. Now that you have me intrigued however I must ask is it a commonly used phrase in common speech like RIP is?
If so it does make you wonder if the two are actually related given that the phrase seems to have jumped to english but skipped German and a couple others.

Ruhe in Frieden.

That's a literal translation yes. But I have newer heard it spoken by anyone outside of literally translating something from english.
Purpelia does not reflect my actual world views. In fact, the vast majority of Purpelian cannon is meant to shock and thus deliberately insane. I just like playing with the idea of a country of madmen utterly convinced that everyone else are the barbarians. So play along or not but don't ever think it's for real.

The above post contains hyperbole, metaphoric language, embellishment and exaggeration. It may also include badly translated figures of speech and misused idioms. Analyze accordingly.

The South Rim
Lobbyist

Founded: Jan 03, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby The South Rim » Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:23 pm

Ethel mermania wrote:
Grenartia wrote:
Ok, so, a quick question, and I genuinely mean this. Where's the anti-semitic part? I honestly don't see it.

A fair question.

Because it stigmatizes the hasidic jews as not participating and being offended by standard custom, in a particularly sensitive area. It goes to further define their otherness from mainstream society. "Eww look at what those icky jews do. I say may he rest in peace in sympathy and they get all offended" Particularly when the practice is something they in fact do.

That's...I clearly stated in my post asking for people to understand that I observed this argument elsewhere and just wanted to see where people stood. I ask that you stop this behavior, it's disrespectful and unnecessary. I am not an anti-semite, and I never will be. This is an absurd topic of 'discussion' I do not wish to continue, and especially not if you are going to behave like you have in your last two posts.

Anyways, it seems like the vote here is pretty unanimous and I've successfully confused the hell out of a majority of the repliers and angered a good few too. If anyone wants, I could log onto Omonros and request a thread lock, but you're all more than welcome to keep the thread alive if you want.
Last edited by The South Rim on Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOUTH RIM REAVERS
THE FIRES THAT BURN WORLDS START WITH A SINGLE MATCH
The Underground | New  ⁞
We are in the 7429th day of the month of Darkmoon.

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 06, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:40 pm

Ethel mermania wrote:
Grenartia wrote:

A fair question.

Is it really antisemitic though? Most Jews aren't hasidic, and most people know that
Rojava Free State wrote:Listen yall. I'm only gonna say it once but I want you to remember it. This ain't a world fit for good men. It seems like you gotta be monstrous just to make it. Gotta have a little bit of darkness within you just to survive. You gotta stoop low everyday it seems like. Stoop all the way down to the devil in these times. And then one day you look in the mirror and you realize that you ain't you anymore. You're just another monster, and thanks to your actions, someone else will eventually become as warped and twisted as you. Never forget that the best of us are just the best of a bad lot. Being at the top of a pile of feces doesn't make you anything but shit like the rest. Never forget that.

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ethel mermania » Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:58 am

Rojava Free State wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:A fair question.

Is it really antisemitic though? Most Jews aren't hasidic, and most people know that

Hasid's are jews, and the public eye most easily identifiable ones. "Ultra jews, in fact" They are being ostracized for a supposedly jewish practice. What else would you call it?
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 23, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:04 am

Ethel mermania wrote:
Rojava Free State wrote:

Hasid's are jews, and the public eye most easily identifiable ones. "Ultra jews, in fact" They are being ostracized for a supposedly jewish practice. What else would you call it?

Do people know it is a Jewish practice ?
Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.
- Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ethel mermania » Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:05 am

The South Rim wrote:

That's...I clearly stated in my post asking for people to understand that I observed this argument elsewhere and just wanted to see where people stood. I ask that you stop this behavior, it's disrespectful and unnecessary. I am not an anti-semite, and I never will be. This is an absurd topic of 'discussion' I do not wish to continue, and especially not if you are going to behave like you have in your last two posts.

Anyways, it seems like the vote here is pretty unanimous and I've successfully confused the hell out of a majority of the repliers and angered a good few too. If anyone wants, I could log onto Omonros and request a thread lock, but you're all more than welcome to keep the thread alive if you want.

You posted lying anti semitic crap as fact and said "discuss".

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:44 am

I don't think they're being "icky" or anything. I just get the sense that they're being stuck up.

If I had been through some tragedy and a Muslim was kind enough to give me condolences in their own tradition, I wouldn't be like "ackshually I don't like that, say something else", I would appreciate the fact that they're trying to reach out and be kind to me. To do otherwise is just petty and self-important.
Last edited by Salus Maior on Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Traditionalist Catholic, Constitutional Monarchist, Habsburg Nostalgic, Distributist, Disillusioned Millennial.

"In any case we clearly see....That some opportune remedy must be found quickly for the misery and wretchedness pressing so unjustly on the majority of the working class...it has come to pass that working men have been surrendered, isolated and helpless, to the hardheartedness of employers and the greed of unchecked competition." -Pope Leo XIII, Rerum Novarum

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ethel mermania » Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:39 am

Salus Maior wrote:

I don't think they're being "icky" or anything. I just get the sense that they're being stuck up.

If I had been through some tragedy and a Muslim was kind enough to give me condolences in their own tradition, I wouldn't be like "ackshually I don't like that, say something else", I would appreciate the fact that they're trying to reach out and be kind to me. To do otherwise is just petty and self-important.

THEY DONT DO IT.

--S. Huntington

--H. Kissenger

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General