NATION

PASSWORD

Christian Discussion Thread XI: Anicetus’ Revenge

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

What is your denomination?

Roman Catholic
38%
Eastern Orthodox
7%
Non-Chalcedonian (Oriental Orthodox, Church of the East, etc.)
1%
Anglican/Episcopalian
5%
Lutheran or Reformed (including Calvinist, Presbyterian, etc.)
10%
Methodist
2%
Baptist
9%
Other Evangelical Protestant (Pentecostal, Charismatic, etc.)
9%
Restorationist (LDS Movement, Jehovah's Witness, etc.)
5%
Other Christian
14%

Total votes : 695

Narland
Minister

Founded: Apr 19, 2013
Anarchy

Postby Narland » Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:57 pm

Lost Memories wrote:
The Archregimancy wrote:But I digress; what was the thread topic again?

Just your average chaos.

In the previous pages we had a long discussion over the maternity age of Mary.
Then some linguistic curiosity about the categorization of the catholic church.
The daily reminder that pedophilia isn't socially acceptable. As if that needs to be stated.

I personally contributed with: the spiritual state of childs. But that could not be of much interest.

Oh, since we are only one day away, what about talking about the new year?
I'm personally going to try to find something to say thanks for to God, in the about to end year. In my opinion that's more useful than making empty new year wishes or goals. As I'm thinking, the best new year wish or goal, is to have many things happening over the year, for which to say thanks, at the end of it.

Is it January 13th already? :) (jkng, Gregorian Calendar User)

I am thankful to God for a few good friends, a hard working family, and a good church community in which to fellowship.
Last edited by Narland on Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sundiata
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 27, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Sundiata » Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:03 pm

Benuty wrote:I will say this, the hadith's don't go out to make Muhammad a decent husband. I don't recall Joseph ever knocking the royal hell out of Mary because she was displeased with his other wives.

:blink:
"Don't say, 'That person bothers me.' Think: 'That person sanctifies me.'"
-St. Josemaria Escriva

Sundiata
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Sundiata » Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:04 pm

The Blaatschapen wrote:
Sundiata wrote:Wives are also pretty great too. :p

Men are mostly built by women, but they are typically gendered male.

:lol2:
-St. Josemaria Escriva

Sundiata
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Sundiata » Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:06 pm

The Reformed American Republic wrote:
Salus Maior wrote:
Yes, it's really unfortunate and atrocious.

However, it's a mistake to think that these are uniquely Catholic problems. This is not true.

It's not true that this is even an issue with traditionally hierarchical organizations. The SBC also had a very wide number of covered up abuses and scandals that were parallel with Catholic scandals.

That's not me playing apologetics for scandal and atrocities, of course. But it's just not true that these things are uniquely Catholic.

I agree. It's inherent I think in any religious group that has gained too much power or thinks they can get away with things. That's why I'm extremely secular. If you want to be a Catholic, that's fine, but the Church shouldn't have the power to make laws nor be the national religion, and should be forced to observe the law. Same goes for all other religions. People who violate other's rights should go to prison.

The church should have distinct roles but they shouldn't be separate, especially in moral respects.
-St. Josemaria Escriva

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:20 pm

Sundiata wrote:Guess who we're celebrating tomorrow you guys. Jan 1st! :bow:

The Germans call the 31st Silvester.

After this particular dude: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pope_Sylvester_I
The Blaatschapen should resign

Sundiata
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Sundiata » Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:22 pm

The Blaatschapen wrote:
Sundiata wrote:Guess who we're celebrating tomorrow you guys. Jan 1st! :bow:

The Germans call the 31st Silvester.

After this particular dude: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pope_Sylvester_I

I'm dumb for that. :lol:
-St. Josemaria Escriva

Benuty
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 21, 2013
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:49 pm

Sundiata wrote:
Benuty wrote:I will say this, the hadith's don't go out to make Muhammad a decent husband. I don't recall Joseph ever knocking the royal hell out of Mary because she was displeased with his other wives.

:blink:

https://muflihun.com/muslim/4/2127

It's from Sahih Muslim, basically, Aisha finds out Muhammad is spending marital relations with other wives, and after Aisha gets caught being out of breath upon Muhammad's return...she decides to be honest, and he hits her. This one is relatively tame compared to some of the others, and that's saying something.

I'd suggest taking this to the other thread lest we divulge from the topic that this thread is for, however.
Last edited by Benuty on Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Last edited by Hashem 13.8 billion years ago
King of Madness in the Right Wing Discussion Thread. Winner of 2016 Posters Award for Insanity. Please be aware my posts in NSG, and P2TM are separate.

The Reformed American Republic
Powerbroker

Founded: May 23, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby The Reformed American Republic » Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:56 pm

Sundiata wrote:
The Reformed American Republic wrote:I agree. It's inherent I think in any religious group that has gained too much power or thinks they can get away with things. That's why I'm extremely secular. If you want to be a Catholic, that's fine, but the Church shouldn't have the power to make laws nor be the national religion, and should be forced to observe the law. Same goes for all other religions. People who violate other's rights should go to prison.

The church should have distinct roles but they shouldn't be separate, especially in moral respects.

Yes they should, as the "aspects" of "morality" often promoted included abuse in your organization's case.
"It's called 'the American Dream' 'cause you have to be asleep to believe it." - George Carlin
"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right." - Carl Schurz
Older posts do not reflect my positions.

Holocene Extinction

Sundiata
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Sundiata » Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:02 pm

Sundiata wrote:The church should have distinct roles but they shouldn't be separate, especially in moral respects.

Yes they should, as the "aspects" of "morality" often promoted included abuse in your organization's case.

No, no. Predators exploit the weak and vulnerable and seek positions of power in order to do so. There's nothing inherently abusive about Catholic Social Teaching.
-St. Josemaria Escriva

Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby The Reformed American Republic » Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:08 pm

Sundiata wrote:
The Reformed American Republic wrote:Yes they should, as the "aspects" of "morality" often promoted included abuse in your organization's case.

No, no. Predators exploit the weak and vulnerable and seek positions of power in order to do so. There's nothing inherently abusive about Catholic Social Teaching.

That's irrelevant. Your church is fighting to protect predators to this very day. Therefore, the state should remain out of its influence.
"It's called 'the American Dream' 'cause you have to be asleep to believe it." - George Carlin
"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right." - Carl Schurz

Holocene Extinction

Sundiata
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Sundiata » Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:20 pm

Sundiata wrote:No, no. Predators exploit the weak and vulnerable and seek positions of power in order to do so. There's nothing inherently abusive about Catholic Social Teaching.

That's irrelevant. Your church is fighting to protect predators to this very day. Therefore, the state should remain out of its influence.
No, no. Catholic Social Teaching is relevant because that's what the morality of the state should be based upon.

I'm not talking about President Priests or Papal Prime Ministers. With that said, you're absolutely right that there are predators who do abuse their positions of power and its inexcusable to be frank.
-St. Josemaria Escriva

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 09, 2014
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Luminesa » Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:46 pm

Sundiata wrote:No, no. Predators exploit the weak and vulnerable and seek positions of power in order to do so. There's nothing inherently abusive about Catholic Social Teaching.

The Church has slowly started work against predators within its ranks. Though the state also has a big problem with pedophiles. *Points to Epstein.*

We hope and pray that one day our problem will be solved, though. :/
Catholic, pro-life, and proud of it. I prefer my debates on religion, politics, and sports with some coffee and a little Aquinas and G.K. CHESTERTON here and there. :3
Unofficial #1 fan of the Who Dat Nation.
"I'm just a singer of simple songs, I'm not a real political man. I watch CNN, but I'm not sure I can tell you the difference in Iraq and Iran. But I know Jesus, and I talk to God, and I remember this from when I was young:
faith, hope and love are some good things He gave us...
and the greatest is love."
-Alan Jackson
Help the Ukrainian people, here's some sources!
Help bring home First Nation girls! Now with more ways to help!
Jesus loves all of His children in Eastern Europe - pray for peace.
Pray for Ukraine, Wear Sunflowers In Your Hair

Sundiata
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Sundiata » Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:45 pm

What have you guys done to maintain a constant conversation with God? I personally would like to get to the point where I don't break that off at any point in the day. Essentially, being a more loyal follower of Christ.

When Jesus faced challenge he prayed habitually. He fixed his gaze upon his father before engaging in public ministry. He then proceeded to spend 40 days and nights inside of the desert praying.

Forgive me for emphasizing this, but our Messiah showed us the path that leads to his father. How do we maintain that supernatural sense with respect to all actions?

We all have times where we need intimate conversations with God. We all want to be close with him and to know him. It's easy to focus on everything Christ did and how he did them.

Before raising Lazarus from the dead why did Jesus pray? After he did, he thanked his father. Was the message there to just base everything on prayer or is there a deeper meaning that I don't understand?
Last edited by Sundiata on Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:24 pm, edited 6 times in total.
-St. Josemaria Escriva

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 23, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:21 pm

Salus Maior wrote:
The Reformed American Republic wrote:I just read about some of the abuses conducted by the Catholic Church, especially in Ireland. I find most Catholic organizations to be grotesque as a result, and it shows why there shouldn't be that much religious influence over the state.

However, it's a mistake to think that these are uniquely Catholic problems. This is not true.

It's not true that this is even an issue with traditionally hierarchical organizations. The SBC also had a very wide number of covered up abuses and scandals that were parallel with Catholic scandals.

That's not me playing apologetics for scandal and atrocities, of course. But it's just not true that these things are uniquely Catholic.

Correct, the problems are not uniquely Catholic- but they are consistently Catholic. As Sundiata said the Catholic Church "remained solid as a rock" for about 2000 years - and for 2000 years it has been a hotbed of abuse. The "changes" implemented now are mostly token and cosmetic; there is no great overhaul or redesign.

Still "solid as a rock".
Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.
- Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

Lost Memories
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 29, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Lost Memories » Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:43 am

The Alma Mater wrote:Correct, the problems are not uniquely Catholic- but they are consistently Catholic.

Can you people get an hint?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Child_sex ... rnal_links

The church is the tip of the iceberg, the canary in the mine.
If you get issues into your local or national clergy, then you have an issue in your society at large.

Where do people think the priests come from?
Do priests sprout from the ground like potatoes?
Is it the same stork which brings babies, to also bring priests?
Do priests come from a secret cloning facility under the vatican?

Or maybe, priests come from their local community? No?

If you people are truly worried for the safety of kids getting abused, then stop scapegoating the church for it, or using that tragedy for the same century old english smear tactics against political opponents.
http://www.politicaltest.net/test/result/222881/

hmag

pagan american empireLiberalism is a LieWhat is Hell

"The whole is something else than the sum of its parts" -Kurt Koffka

A fox tried to reach some grapes hanging high on the vine, but was unable to.
As he went away, the fox remarked 'Oh, you aren't even ripe yet!'
As such are people who speak disparagingly of things that they cannot attain.
-The Fox and the Grapes

"Dictionaries don't decide what words mean. Prescriptivism is the ultimate form of elitism." -United Muscovite Nations
or subtle illiteracy, or lazy sidetracking. Just fucking follow the context. And ask when in doubt.

Not-asimov

We're all a bit stupid and ignorant, just be humble about it.

Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby The Reformed American Republic » Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:27 am

I'm not saying the church is the only one to have this problem, but what pisses me off, is that the Church goes to absurd lengths to protect those predators and silence whistleblowers.

Holocene Extinction

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:49 am

The Alma Mater wrote:
Salus Maior wrote:

Correct, the problems are not uniquely Catholic- but they are consistently Catholic. As Sundiata said the Catholic Church "remained solid as a rock" for about 2000 years - and for 2000 years it has been a hotbed of abuse. The "changes" implemented now are mostly token and cosmetic; there is no great overhaul or redesign.

Still "solid as a rock".

You and I both know there's no way of verifying whether abuse was a constant in the Catholic Church over 2000 years. It would be incredible if anyone could get that kind of sociological information in any society over the course of 2000 years.

Secondly, everyone here takes the scandals in the Church incredibly seriously.
Traditionalist Catholic, Constitutional Monarchist, Habsburg Nostalgic, Distributist, Disillusioned Millennial.

"In any case we clearly see....That some opportune remedy must be found quickly for the misery and wretchedness pressing so unjustly on the majority of the working class...it has come to pass that working men have been surrendered, isolated and helpless, to the hardheartedness of employers and the greed of unchecked competition." -Pope Leo XIII, Rerum Novarum

San Kalungsod Saludong
Envoy

Founded: Mar 04, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby San Kalungsod Saludong » Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:49 am

The Reformed American Republic wrote:I'm not saying the church is the only one to have this problem, but what pisses me off, is that the Church goes to absurd lengths to protect those predators and silence whistleblowers.

How many times do I have to repeat this? Public School Teachers have higher rates of sexual abuse of children than priests and yet priests are the ones scapegoated.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/has-media- ... in-school/
Last edited by San Kalungsod Saludong on Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
....☀️....
FACTBOOK

San Kalungsod Saludong: A Sovereign Male Military Order
Nation Ideology: Aescetical, Spiritual, Educational and Militaristic
Personal Politics: Alt Lite, Dark Enlightenment, Conservative Millenial.
Interest: Gym, MMA, Computers, Graphics Design and Finance

The Marlborough
Minister

Founded: May 27, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby The Marlborough » Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:43 pm

If any institution were to be toppled and destroyed because of abuses, then we'd have no institutions left. I believe there is an old anecdote about Napoleon threatening the Church with destruction and the cardinals laughing at him and saying something like "If we haven't been able to destroy it ourselves (as in the clergy) in eighteen hundred years, what makes you think you will?".
How could the Irish potato famine happen if they were surrounded by fish?
Support the Lil Red Dress Project to bring awareness to MMIWG.
Bless our neon cyberpunk future.

Knica Eas
Lobbyist

Founded: Aug 20, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Knica Eas » Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:51 pm

I have a general question :

What is / are the role(s) of Egypt within Christian scripture?

Sundiata
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Sundiata » Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:53 pm

Knica Eas wrote:I have a general question :

Egypt is pretty significant. For example, are you familiar with the story of Joseph in the Old Testament?
-St. Josemaria Escriva

Kowani
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 01, 2018
Democratic Socialists

Postby Kowani » Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:00 pm

villain, mostly
American History and Historiography; Political and Labour History, Urbanism, Political Parties, Congressional Procedure, Elections.

Servant of The Democracy since 1896.

Historian, of sorts.

Effortposts can be found here!

The Archregimancy
Game Moderator

Founded: Aug 01, 2005
Democratic Socialists

Postby The Archregimancy » Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:10 pm

Kowani wrote:

villain, mostly

And a historically inaccurate one for the most part, too; at least in the Old Testament.

On the New Testament front, though... when I was living in Cairo, I had the opportunity to visit the church on the site of where, according to Coptic tradition, the Holy Family sheltered while in Egypt.

Here you go: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saints_Se ... (Abu_Serga)

By coincidence, my Arabic teacher was a Copt who worked as a tour guide at the church in her spare time. Lovely young woman.

Though the well that Coptic tradition holds that they used is ... I write this with all due reverence ... perhaps slightly tackier than it might be. I've found a picture:

Last edited by The Archregimancy on Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Fri Jan 01, 2021 7:14 am

The Archregimancy wrote:
Kowani wrote:villain, mostly

And a historically inaccurate one for the most part, too; at least in the Old Testament.

On the New Testament front, though... when I was living in Cairo, I had the opportunity to visit the church on the site of where, according to Coptic tradition, the Holy Family sheltered while in Egypt.

Here you go: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saints_Se ... (Abu_Serga)

By coincidence, my Arabic teacher was a Copt who worked as a tour guide at the church in her spare time. Lovely young woman.

Though the well that Coptic tradition holds that they used is ... I write this with all due reverence ... perhaps slightly tackier than it might be. I've found a picture:

Yeah, using modern day English makes it incredibly tacky. Like, tourist central.
The Blaatschapen should resign

Knica Eas
Lobbyist

Founded: Aug 20, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Knica Eas » Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:03 am

Sundiata wrote:

Egypt is pretty significant. For example, are you familiar with the story of Joseph in the Old Testament?

No, I am not yet familiar with the details. I know that Joseph was appointed to an important position within the Egyptian court, but don't understand the significance of that fact.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General