NATION

PASSWORD

Christian Discussion Thread XI: Anicetus’ Revenge

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

What is your denomination?

Roman Catholic
221
39%
Eastern Orthodox
41
7%
Non-Chalcedonian (Oriental Orthodox, Church of the East, etc.)
3
1%
Anglican/Episcopalian
31
5%
Lutheran or Reformed (including Calvinist, Presbyterian, etc.)
61
11%
Methodist
11
2%
Baptist
54
9%
Other Evangelical Protestant (Pentecostal, Charismatic, etc.)
46
8%
Restorationist (LDS Movement, Jehovah's Witness, etc.)
25
4%
Other Christian
80
14%
 
Total votes : 573

User avatar
Luminesa
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 56840
Founded: Dec 09, 2014
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Luminesa » Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:50 pm

United Hemand Insia wrote:I have a question. Would the song "Hallelujah" be considered as a Christian song as it talks about David and Solomon?

Leonard Cohen (may he Rest in Peace) was Jewish, one of the last members of the Cohen priestly family as well. He had a very good understanding of Biblical tropes, however, both old and new. While it's more of a folk song, it certainly does have Christian and Jewish elements. It can almost be called a "secular" hymn, if such a thing exists.
Catholic, pro-life, and proud of it. I prefer my debates on religion, politics, and sports with some coffee and a little Aquinas and G.K. CHESTERTON here and there. :3
Unofficial #1 fan of the Who Dat Nation.
"I'm just a singer of simple songs, I'm not a real political man. I watch CNN, but I'm not sure I can tell you the difference in Iraq and Iran. But I know Jesus, and I talk to God, and I remember this from when I was young:
faith, hope and love are some good things He gave us...
and the greatest is love."
-Alan Jackson
King Alfred's Prayer
Help bring home First Nation girls! Now with more ways to help!
Be safe, wear your mask outside the home, pray for peace, mercy, and justice to reign in our world. God bless you!

User avatar
Luminesa
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 56840
Founded: Dec 09, 2014
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Luminesa » Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:57 pm

Turelisa- wrote:
Tarsonis wrote:Bullshit, you said "The Bible tells us to 'put away evil from among you' by inflicting the death penalty" and then went on a nice rant about why putting these people to death is for their own benefit. It's right there. We can read it over and over again..


Woman, I suggest you read it over and over again if that what it takes to see what I really wrote -

Turelisa- wrote:The Bible tells us to 'put away evil from among you' by inflicting the death penalty upon people who commit the most heinous crimes - murder, adultery, incest, paedophilia, criminal insanity and certain unnatural sexual acts.


The fact is you didn't read it properly in the first place, and, having realised your mistake after you denounced me, refuse to admit it. You're frustrated, and aggression is the only defence which you have left. That's why you're getting angry and using profanity, and stonewalling, which isn't very Christian.

I...I'm pretty sure that Tars is a guy. I'm a girl though!

The death penalty is a complicated matter in the OT. For some, it's believed the rules of Leviticus and Deuteronomy were meant primarily for the priests of Levi (hence the name 'Leviticus'). It could imply all of the Jewish people, however, but the priests of Levi were held to very high standards. However, since Christ has superceded such ceremonial laws by becoming the ultimate high priest, we do not need to look back and to support the death penalty any longer. Christ has opened the gates for us, and has asked for us to love one another. The death penalty has no place among us anymore, as Christ Himself did not let the people stone an adultress in John 8. We should not call for it on such Biblical grounds.
Catholic, pro-life, and proud of it. I prefer my debates on religion, politics, and sports with some coffee and a little Aquinas and G.K. CHESTERTON here and there. :3
Unofficial #1 fan of the Who Dat Nation.
"I'm just a singer of simple songs, I'm not a real political man. I watch CNN, but I'm not sure I can tell you the difference in Iraq and Iran. But I know Jesus, and I talk to God, and I remember this from when I was young:
faith, hope and love are some good things He gave us...
and the greatest is love."
-Alan Jackson
King Alfred's Prayer
Help bring home First Nation girls! Now with more ways to help!
Be safe, wear your mask outside the home, pray for peace, mercy, and justice to reign in our world. God bless you!

User avatar
The Blaatschapen
Retired Moderator
 
Posts: 58045
Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:03 pm

On a musical note, I adore Johnny Cash. Now, I do not listen often to his gospel albums, but damn, do I like his version of God's Gonna Cut You Down.

(also, I like the ballad of Ira Hayes, but that would be off topic)
Forumer mod, now a rocker mocker. Thank you Ringo
Five blank lines will now follow





This is the 8th line. If your sig is longer than mine, it is too long.

User avatar
The New California Republic
Post Czar
 
Posts: 32658
Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:33 pm

Tarsonis wrote:
Turelisa- wrote:The Bible tells us to 'put away evil from among you' by inflicting the death penalty upon people who commit the most heinous crimes - murder, adultery, incest, paedophilia, criminal insanity and certain unnatural sexual acts.
People who commit these crimes are depraved, and can't be saved. They haven't the Holy Spirit working in them. They are the worst of reprobates.They're outside of God's grace, and must be killed judicially to spare the rest of society their corrupting influence. An evil person is never happy, and death is a release from the suffering which they inflict upon themselves. What is kinder than that? If you spare the reprobate criminal's life, and give him his freedom, you are, in effect, protracting his suffering and eventual self-destruction and guaranteeing the destruction of future victims of his depravity.
If they were in God's grace, they would either be intimidated by the rule of law sufficiently to refrain from temptation to do these unholy acts or, having the Holy Spirit working in them, would be regenerated from that natural depravity whence springs all Evil.
The Blaatschapen wrote:What are these unnatural sexual acts?


He's talking about the LGBs

Tbh this is not the first time that Turelisa has advocated that the likes of LGBT people be killed, so it's no surprise.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

User avatar
Turelisa-
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 178
Founded: Sep 25, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Turelisa- » Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:47 pm

Tarsonis wrote:
Turelisa- wrote:I might have sworn that in a previous interaction you implied you were a woman. My mistake. I was wrong.
That's a politicians defense. "I might have sworn that I might have, on this one occasion, maybe misunderstood something that was said to me, and it's possible this misunderstanding may have grown and manifested into me having an incorrect perception. It's not that I fell back on personal biases and accidentally said the quiet part out loud. "


Why else would I call you 'woman?' I vaguely remember discussing abortion with you sometime ago, and getting the, wrong, impression from your ambiguous reply to my point about married women that you yourself were a woman.
Your argument that I thought you were a woman based on your belief that correcting my lie that I hadn't implied or explicity stated the faithless to be worthy of death was typical of a woman and therefore jumped right to the conclusion you were a woman is utter nonsense in itself. And it also a lie - I described quite explicitly without equivocation the crimes that the Bible states are to be punished by death.

Tarsonis wrote:
I've had to disabuse you twice, now, yet still you refuse to acknowledge or admit your glaring misnotions, instead making desperate recourse to aggressive disingenuousness.
That would be because your disabuse is disingenuous, and in truth, I read your post very closely


Correcting your erroneous and non-literal interpretation of a post is disingenuous, is it? That's easy to say, given that's neither verifiable nor falsifiable.


Tarsonis wrote: Now, you're claiming that you clearly didn't mean all the faithless, just Muderers(sic), Adulterers, people who have sex with family members, people who have sex with children, the criminally insane, and well, we all know "Certain unnatural sexual acts" is code for Gays. Because those are all clearly, equally offensive and equally worthy of death. (Nevermind, that scripture doesn't say that (quite the opposite really) and that you're trying to distill the entirety of the Law into a single idiom so devoid of context and meaning that it becomes completely wrong.)


I'm not claiming that, chum. The proof is in the post, which I copy here, with the relevant passage higlighted in bold and italics so you can make them out. Do you see the phrase 'the faithless' included in it ? Do you?

Turelisa- wrote:The Bible tells us to 'put away evil from among you' by inflicting the death penalty upon people who commit the most heinous crimes - murder, adultery, incest, paedophilia, criminal insanity and certain unnatural sexual acts.
People who commit these crimes are depraved, and can't be saved. They haven't the Holy Spirit working in them. They are the worst of reprobates.They're outside of God's grace, and must be killed judicially to spare the rest of society their corrupting influence. An evil person is never happy, and death is a release from the suffering which they inflict upon themselves. What is kinder than that? If you spare the reprobate criminal's life, and give him his freedom, you are, in effect, protracting his suffering and eventual self-destruction and guaranteeing the destruction of future victims of his depravity.
If they were in God's grace, they would either be intimidated by the rule of law sufficiently to refrain from temptation to do these unholy acts or, having the Holy Spirit working in them, would be regenerated from that natural depravity whence springs all Evil.



Tarsonis wrote: You then proceed to give a somewhat cogent reasoning, at least cogent in that it echoes traditional justifications for capital punishment:Lex Taliones and all that. Though let it not go unnoticed that you're saying Gays need to be put to death to save them from corrupting society.



I didn't say gays need to be put to death. I said individuals who commit certain unnatural sexual acts are worthy of death. You're wrong, once again.


Tarsonis wrote: But then you go quite into the realm of vaudevillian villain, (I assume you're a fan of Vaudeville given your use of an outdated syntax in an attempt to make yourself sound smarter than you actually are.):




Outdated syntax to impress you? I write the way I do because I'm an old fashioned fellow. You and what you think about it don't come into it.

Tarsonis wrote: Hell replace "reprobate criminal" with "Jew" and you could headline Nuremberg, 1934.


Oh, dear. This is beyond desperation.

Tarsonis wrote: But then you give the game away:


Oh? :o

Tarsonis wrote: But of course. They do these things because humans are naturally evil, and only the Holy Spirit, keeps them from going full Reaver. Thus, anyone who commits these crimes means they have no connection to the Holy Spirit. And by your reasoning, they must be killed to protect society from their corrupting influence, but also "future victims of their depravity." Because without the Holy Spirit they really just can't help themselves.So in effect, you've argued for the termination of the faithless.


Er, no. Only the people in the post.
You know, the one I quoted above several time because you have trouble understanding it. -


The Bible tells us to 'put away evil from among you' by inflicting the death penalty upon people who commit the most heinous crimes - murder, adultery, incest, paedophilia, criminal insanity and certain unnatural sexual acts.

Tarsonis wrote: Because by Calvin's own definition, the Faithless are faithless specifically because they don't have the Holy Spirit working in them, they weren't elect. And since without the Holy Spirit, they really can't help themselves from yielding to these depravities, then it's only a matter of time before they do. Thus, in order to protect society all the faithless should be killed, otherwise you're "guaranteeing the destruction of future victims of his depravity."


Excellent! You've managed to grasp Calvinist theology! :clap:


Tarsonis wrote: And if that weren't vile enough, you have the gall to put God's decree on it.


It's not vile. It's God's will.

Tarsonis wrote: Coming from you, I'll take that as a compliment.


But it's true, nonetheless. Your reactionary behaviour - lying, disingenuousness, and vulgar language has been unChristian.

Tarsonis wrote: But if I did that then we'd both be liars.



Only you and God know whether you're a liar. A God who I worder whether you really believe in, given your deceit.

User avatar
Turelisa-
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 178
Founded: Sep 25, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Turelisa- » Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:56 pm

The New California Republic wrote:
Tarsonis wrote:
He's talking about the LGBs

Tbh this is not the first time that Turelisa has advocated that the likes of LGBT people be killed, so it's no surprise.


Snakes are not welcome in this thread, nor is the poison that they pour into the ears of those who will listen tolerated.

User avatar
Tarsonis
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 15561
Founded: Sep 20, 2017
Democratic Socialists

Postby Tarsonis » Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:57 pm

Turelisa- wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:Tbh this is not the first time that Turelisa has advocated that the likes of LGBT people be killed, so it's no surprise.


Snakes are not welcome in this thread, nor is the poison that they pour into the ears of those who will listen tolerated.


And yet, here you are.
NS Keyboard Warrior since 2005. Rightful winner of 2020 Presidential Election.
Ecclesiastes 1:18 "For in much wisdom is much vexation, and those who increase knowledge increase sorrow"
Galatians 6:7 " Do not be deceived; God is not mocked, for you reap whatever you sow."
1 Corinthians 5:12 What business is it of mine to judge those outside the church? Are you not to judge those inside?
T. Stevens: "I don't hold with equality in all things, but I believe in equality under the Law."
James I of Aragon "Have you ever considered that our position is Idolatry to the Rabbi?"
Debating Christian Theology with Non-Christians pretty much anybody be like

User avatar
Benuty
Post Czar
 
Posts: 36465
Founded: Jan 21, 2013
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:59 pm

Tarsonis wrote:
Turelisa- wrote:
Snakes are not welcome in this thread, nor is the poison that they pour into the ears of those who will listen tolerated.


And yet, here you are.

Well, this is perhaps the greatest example of a burn I have seen in a while. I would recommend some immediate third-degree burn surgery at the hospital.
Last edited by Hashem 13.8 billion years ago
King of Madness in the Right Wing Discussion Thread. Winner of 2016 Posters Award for Insanity.
Please be aware my posts in NSG, and P2TM are separate.

User avatar
Senkaku
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 20824
Founded: Sep 01, 2012
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Senkaku » Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:01 pm

Turelisa- wrote:

Tarsonis wrote: You then proceed to give a somewhat cogent reasoning, at least cogent in that it echoes traditional justifications for capital punishment:Lex Taliones and all that. Though let it not go unnoticed that you're saying Gays need to be put to death to save them from corrupting society.



I didn't say gays need to be put to death. I said individuals who commit certain unnatural sexual acts are worthy of death. You're wrong, once again.

Perhaps you should clarify the distinction between these statements for everyone
Last edited by Senkaku on Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
haters will see you growing on a finite planet and say you can't grow infinitely

User avatar
Trollzyn the Infinite
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5022
Founded: Aug 22, 2018
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Trollzyn the Infinite » Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:13 pm

Tarsonis wrote:
Turelisa- wrote:
Snakes are not welcome in this thread, nor is the poison that they pour into the ears of those who will listen tolerated.


And yet, here you are.


This isn't just a burn, it's an Old Testament burn. :p
☆ American Patriot ☆ Civic Nationalist ☆ Rocker & Metalhead ☆ Heretical Christian ☆
"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right."

Reminder that Donald J. Trump is officially a traitor to the United States of America as of January 6th, 2021
The Paradox of Tolerance
永远不会忘记1989年6月4日天安门广场大屠杀
Ես Արցախի կողքին եմ
Wanted Fugitive of the Chinese Communist Party

User avatar
Tarsonis
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 15561
Founded: Sep 20, 2017
Democratic Socialists

Postby Tarsonis » Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:21 pm

Turelisa- wrote:
Tarsonis wrote:That's a politicians defense. "I might have sworn that I might have, on this one occasion, maybe misunderstood something that was said to me, and it's possible this misunderstanding may have grown and manifested into me having an incorrect perception. It's not that I fell back on personal biases and accidentally said the quiet part out loud. "


Why else would I call you 'woman?' I vaguely remember discussing abortion with you sometime ago, and getting the, wrong, impression from your ambiguous reply to my point about married women that you yourself were a woman.
Your argument that I thought you were a woman based on your belief that correcting my lie that I hadn't implied or explicity stated the faithless to be worthy of death was typical of a woman and therefore jumped right to the conclusion you were a woman is utter nonsense in itself. And it also a lie - I described quite explicitly without equivocation the crimes that the Bible states are to be punished by death.

You quite explicitly ignored half the scriptures to peddle your bigoted nonsense. Because the grand total of crimes the bible, taken in its totality, states are to be punishable by death is Zero.

Tarsonis wrote: That would be because your disabuse is disingenuous, and in truth, I read your post very closely


Correcting your erroneous and non-literal interpretation of a post is disingenuous, is it? That's easy to say, given that's neither verifiable nor falsifiable.

Much like you trying to claim you meant one thing, while saying another. What you, and so many of your ilk fail to recognize is that literalism, in and of itself, is a fallacious method of interpretation. Nothing is devoid of context, everything you say is contextualized by your personal idiom. You use literalism as a shield for when someone calls bullshit on your carefully worded statement, you can feign innocence. Not only are your beliefs abhorrent and contrary to the Gospel, and not only do you lack the good sense to abandon them, you lack the spine to defend them honestly.



Tarsonis wrote: Now, you're claiming that you clearly didn't mean all the faithless, just Muderers(sic), Adulterers, people who have sex with family members, people who have sex with children, the criminally insane, and well, we all know "Certain unnatural sexual acts" is code for Gays. Because those are all clearly, equally offensive and equally worthy of death. (Nevermind, that scripture doesn't say that (quite the opposite really) and that you're trying to distill the entirety of the Law into a single idiom so devoid of context and meaning that it becomes completely wrong.)


I'm not claiming that, chum. The proof is in the post, which I copy here, with the relevant passage higlighted in bold and italics so you can make them out. Do you see the phrase 'the faithless' included in it ? Do you?
Oh but you are. As I demonstrated. You want to continue to play coy, and that's you're prerogative. Mines to make sure nobody mistakes your insipid lies for honesty.

Turelisa- wrote:The Bible tells us to 'put away evil from among you' by inflicting the death penalty upon people who commit the most heinous crimes - murder, adultery, incest, paedophilia, criminal insanity and certain unnatural sexual acts.
People who commit these crimes are depraved, and can't be saved. They haven't the Holy Spirit working in them. They are the worst of reprobates.They're outside of God's grace, and must be killed judicially to spare the rest of society their corrupting influence. An evil person is never happy, and death is a release from the suffering which they inflict upon themselves. What is kinder than that? If you spare the reprobate criminal's life, and give him his freedom, you are, in effect, protracting his suffering and eventual self-destruction and guaranteeing the destruction of future victims of his depravity.
If they were in God's grace, they would either be intimidated by the rule of law sufficiently to refrain from temptation to do these unholy acts or, having the Holy Spirit working in them, would be regenerated from that natural depravity whence springs all Evil.



Tarsonis wrote: You then proceed to give a somewhat cogent reasoning, at least cogent in that it echoes traditional justifications for capital punishment:Lex Taliones and all that. Though let it not go unnoticed that you're saying Gays need to be put to death to save them from corrupting society.



I didn't say gays need to be put to death. I said individuals who commit certain unnatural sexual acts are worthy of death. You're wrong, once again.


Yeah, we know what coded language is. We know "certin unnatural sexual acts" means. Which is why you use that euphemistic phrase instead of being specific.

"26 Because of this, God gave them over to shameful lusts. Even their women exchanged natural sexual relations for unnatural ones. 27 In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed shameful acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their error."

FFS, you're not even good at this.

Tarsonis wrote: But then you go quite into the realm of vaudevillian villain, (I assume you're a fan of Vaudeville given your use of an outdated syntax in an attempt to make yourself sound smarter than you actually are.):


Outdated syntax to impress you? I write the way I do because I'm an old fashioned fellow. You and what you think about it don't come into it.

You speak this way, because you've concocted a fantasy that this somehow makes you interesting or cool. Honestly, I could empathize with someone trying to match wits above his station, but instead you somehow found a worse option and decided to declare yourself a hipster.

Tarsonis wrote: Hell replace "reprobate criminal" with "Jew" and you could headline Nuremberg, 1934.


Oh, dear. This is beyond desperation.

That's not a denial. The fact that your theology is completely indistinguishable from Nazi ideology beyond the group there in mentioned is an issue for you, not for me. (Though Imagine for you those groups overlap.)


Tarsonis wrote: But then you give the game away:


Oh? :o

Tarsonis wrote: But of course. They do these things because humans are naturally evil, and only the Holy Spirit, keeps them from going full Reaver. Thus, anyone who commits these crimes means they have no connection to the Holy Spirit. And by your reasoning, they must be killed to protect society from their corrupting influence, but also "future victims of their depravity." Because without the Holy Spirit they really just can't help themselves.So in effect, you've argued for the termination of the faithless.


Er, no. Only the people in the post.
You know, the one I quoted above several time because you have trouble understanding it. -

Yes, You've lied repeatedly, that is apparent.

The Bible tells us to 'put away evil from among you' by inflicting the death penalty upon people who commit the most heinous crimes - murder, adultery, incest, paedophilia, criminal insanity and certain unnatural sexual acts.

Tarsonis wrote: Because by Calvin's own definition, the Faithless are faithless specifically because they don't have the Holy Spirit working in them, they weren't elect. And since without the Holy Spirit, they really can't help themselves from yielding to these depravities, then it's only a matter of time before they do. Thus, in order to protect society all the faithless should be killed, otherwise you're "guaranteeing the destruction of future victims of his depravity."


Excellent! You've managed to grasp Calvinist theology! :clap:


A six year old can grasp the totality of his blasphemy. It's neither novel or clever.


Tarsonis wrote: And if that weren't vile enough, you have the gall to put God's decree on it.


It's not vile. It's God's will.


No, it's your will. It's your insipid bigotry. Bigotry which you have twisted the scriptures to suit.

Tarsonis wrote: Coming from you, I'll take that as a compliment.


But it's true, nonetheless. Your reactionary behaviour - lying, disingenuousness, and vulgar language has been unChristian.


Once again, vulgar language isn't a thing, and nothing here is reactionary. Christ didn't guard his tongue when chastizing the scribes and pharisess, so I certainly won't guard my tongue with the likes of you. And you can toss your smears all you want, but your inability to read the room, is palpable, as nobody here has bought what you're selling. Thank, God. You might be a lost cause, but they aren't. And the proof really is available who the liar is, by the simple fact is that I've fully demonstrated what you said, and you didn't even have the sense to deny it. No counter argument, no treatise on why I might be misinterpreted Calvin. No poking holes in the logion fleshing out the implications of your beliefs. No your only response was to scoff and wax sarcastic.

Tarsonis wrote: But if I did that then we'd both be liars.



Only you and God know whether you're a liar. A God who I worder whether you really believe in, given your deceit.


See, now that is desperate.
Last edited by Tarsonis on Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:04 pm, edited 5 times in total.
NS Keyboard Warrior since 2005. Rightful winner of 2020 Presidential Election.
Ecclesiastes 1:18 "For in much wisdom is much vexation, and those who increase knowledge increase sorrow"
Galatians 6:7 " Do not be deceived; God is not mocked, for you reap whatever you sow."
1 Corinthians 5:12 What business is it of mine to judge those outside the church? Are you not to judge those inside?
T. Stevens: "I don't hold with equality in all things, but I believe in equality under the Law."
James I of Aragon "Have you ever considered that our position is Idolatry to the Rabbi?"
Debating Christian Theology with Non-Christians pretty much anybody be like

User avatar
Trollzyn the Infinite
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5022
Founded: Aug 22, 2018
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Trollzyn the Infinite » Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:30 pm

Turelisa- wrote:The Bible tells us to 'put away evil from among you' by inflicting the death penalty upon people who commit the most heinous crimes - murder, adultery, incest, paedophilia, criminal insanity and certain unnatural sexual acts.

Tarsonis wrote: Because by Calvin's own definition, the Faithless are faithless specifically because they don't have the Holy Spirit working in them, they weren't elect. And since without the Holy Spirit, they really can't help themselves from yielding to these depravities, then it's only a matter of time before they do. Thus, in order to protect society all the faithless should be killed, otherwise you're "guaranteeing the destruction of future victims of his depravity."


Excellent! You've managed to grasp Calvinist theology! :clap:


Tarsonis wrote:A six year old can understand the grasp the totality of his blasphemy. It's neither novel or clever.


Wait, is that what Calvinists actually believe? That adulterers, gays, pedophiles, the incestuous, murderers, and whatever-the-fuck "criminally insane" is supposed mean should be executed? Like, this is actually what John Calvin himself preached? Because that's pretty monstrous.
☆ American Patriot ☆ Civic Nationalist ☆ Rocker & Metalhead ☆ Heretical Christian ☆
"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right."

Reminder that Donald J. Trump is officially a traitor to the United States of America as of January 6th, 2021
The Paradox of Tolerance
永远不会忘记1989年6月4日天安门广场大屠杀
Ես Արցախի կողքին եմ
Wanted Fugitive of the Chinese Communist Party

User avatar
Tarsonis
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 15561
Founded: Sep 20, 2017
Democratic Socialists

Postby Tarsonis » Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:35 pm

Trollzyn the Infinite wrote:
Turelisa- wrote:The Bible tells us to 'put away evil from among you' by inflicting the death penalty upon people who commit the most heinous crimes - murder, adultery, incest, paedophilia, criminal insanity and certain unnatural sexual acts.



Excellent! You've managed to grasp Calvinist theology! :clap:


Tarsonis wrote:A six year old can understand the grasp the totality of his blasphemy. It's neither novel or clever.


Wait, is that what Calvinists actually believe? That adulterers, gays, pedophiles, the incestuous, murderers, and whatever-the-fuck "criminally insane" is supposed mean should be executed? Like, this is actually what John Calvin himself preached? Because that's pretty monstrous.

Turelisa is taking Calvin's view to the extreme, though Calvin wasn't above killing people he didn't think were elect.
NS Keyboard Warrior since 2005. Rightful winner of 2020 Presidential Election.
Ecclesiastes 1:18 "For in much wisdom is much vexation, and those who increase knowledge increase sorrow"
Galatians 6:7 " Do not be deceived; God is not mocked, for you reap whatever you sow."
1 Corinthians 5:12 What business is it of mine to judge those outside the church? Are you not to judge those inside?
T. Stevens: "I don't hold with equality in all things, but I believe in equality under the Law."
James I of Aragon "Have you ever considered that our position is Idolatry to the Rabbi?"
Debating Christian Theology with Non-Christians pretty much anybody be like

User avatar
Trollzyn the Infinite
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5022
Founded: Aug 22, 2018
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Trollzyn the Infinite » Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:56 pm

Tarsonis wrote:
Trollzyn the Infinite wrote:


Wait, is that what Calvinists actually believe? That adulterers, gays, pedophiles, the incestuous, murderers, and whatever-the-fuck "criminally insane" is supposed mean should be executed? Like, this is actually what John Calvin himself preached? Because that's pretty monstrous.

Turelisa is taking Calvin's view to the extreme, though Calvin wasn't above killing people he didn't think were elect.


Define "elect".
☆ American Patriot ☆ Civic Nationalist ☆ Rocker & Metalhead ☆ Heretical Christian ☆
"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right."

Reminder that Donald J. Trump is officially a traitor to the United States of America as of January 6th, 2021
The Paradox of Tolerance
永远不会忘记1989年6月4日天安门广场大屠杀
Ես Արցախի կողքին եմ
Wanted Fugitive of the Chinese Communist Party

User avatar
Punished UMN
Minister
 
Posts: 2875
Founded: Jul 05, 2020
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Punished UMN » Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:58 pm

Trollzyn the Infinite wrote:
Tarsonis wrote:Turelisa is taking Calvin's view to the extreme, though Calvin wasn't above killing people he didn't think were elect.


Define "elect".

So, in Calvinism, the elect are those chosen before all time to be saved. Technically, in all of Christianity, that's true, but in Christianity, the elect includes all of humanity, one has to decide to reject your election to eternal life by God. Calvin says that those who are damned were chosen by God before all time to be damned.
Still lurking in the community, but don't expect much engagement.
Rawlsian socialist and Constitutional Monarchist. Absolute pacifist. Proud member of the Napoleon Bonaparte fandom.
I have borderline personality disorder, if I overreact to something, try to approach me after the fact and I'll apologize

User avatar
Tarsonis
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 15561
Founded: Sep 20, 2017
Democratic Socialists

Postby Tarsonis » Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:00 pm

Punished UMN wrote:
Trollzyn the Infinite wrote:
Define "elect".

So, in Calvinism, the elect are those chosen before all time to be saved. Technically, in all of Christianity, that's true, but in Christianity, the elect includes all of humanity, one has to decide to reject your election to eternal life by God. Calvin says that those who are damned were chosen by God before all time to be damned.


Eh to be fair, double election is a criticism of Calvin's theology, and not one he overtly espoused. Though the fact that he didn't think the implications through of what he was saying is telling.
NS Keyboard Warrior since 2005. Rightful winner of 2020 Presidential Election.
Ecclesiastes 1:18 "For in much wisdom is much vexation, and those who increase knowledge increase sorrow"
Galatians 6:7 " Do not be deceived; God is not mocked, for you reap whatever you sow."
1 Corinthians 5:12 What business is it of mine to judge those outside the church? Are you not to judge those inside?
T. Stevens: "I don't hold with equality in all things, but I believe in equality under the Law."
James I of Aragon "Have you ever considered that our position is Idolatry to the Rabbi?"
Debating Christian Theology with Non-Christians pretty much anybody be like

User avatar
Luminesa
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 56840
Founded: Dec 09, 2014
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Luminesa » Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:34 pm

Turelisa- wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:Tbh this is not the first time that Turelisa has advocated that the likes of LGBT people be killed, so it's no surprise.


Snakes are not welcome in this thread, nor is the poison that they pour into the ears of those who will listen tolerated.

Anyone is allowed to come talk in this thread as long as they want to contribute something positive, or any sort of conversation. NCR and some of us may have our disagreements, but he hasn't made toxic statements twisting the Bible to say killing gay people is okay. We've had far better Calvinists in this thread who haven't come to poison the well. I don't like what I've seen from you. Please leave.
Catholic, pro-life, and proud of it. I prefer my debates on religion, politics, and sports with some coffee and a little Aquinas and G.K. CHESTERTON here and there. :3
Unofficial #1 fan of the Who Dat Nation.
"I'm just a singer of simple songs, I'm not a real political man. I watch CNN, but I'm not sure I can tell you the difference in Iraq and Iran. But I know Jesus, and I talk to God, and I remember this from when I was young:
faith, hope and love are some good things He gave us...
and the greatest is love."
-Alan Jackson
King Alfred's Prayer
Help bring home First Nation girls! Now with more ways to help!
Be safe, wear your mask outside the home, pray for peace, mercy, and justice to reign in our world. God bless you!

User avatar
Tarsonis
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 15561
Founded: Sep 20, 2017
Democratic Socialists

Postby Tarsonis » Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:45 pm

Luminesa wrote:
Turelisa- wrote:
Snakes are not welcome in this thread, nor is the poison that they pour into the ears of those who will listen tolerated.

Anyone is allowed to come talk in this thread as long as they want to contribute something positive, or any sort of conversation. NCR and some of us may have our disagreements, but he hasn't made toxic statements twisting the Bible to say killing gay people is okay. We've had far better Calvinists in this thread who haven't come to poison the well. I don't like what I've seen from you. Please leave.


Not gonna lie, you're such a delightful person that there is something absolutely blood chilling when you get stern.
NS Keyboard Warrior since 2005. Rightful winner of 2020 Presidential Election.
Ecclesiastes 1:18 "For in much wisdom is much vexation, and those who increase knowledge increase sorrow"
Galatians 6:7 " Do not be deceived; God is not mocked, for you reap whatever you sow."
1 Corinthians 5:12 What business is it of mine to judge those outside the church? Are you not to judge those inside?
T. Stevens: "I don't hold with equality in all things, but I believe in equality under the Law."
James I of Aragon "Have you ever considered that our position is Idolatry to the Rabbi?"
Debating Christian Theology with Non-Christians pretty much anybody be like

User avatar
Luminesa
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 56840
Founded: Dec 09, 2014
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Luminesa » Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:53 pm

Tarsonis wrote:
Luminesa wrote:Anyone is allowed to come talk in this thread as long as they want to contribute something positive, or any sort of conversation. NCR and some of us may have our disagreements, but he hasn't made toxic statements twisting the Bible to say killing gay people is okay. We've had far better Calvinists in this thread who haven't come to poison the well. I don't like what I've seen from you. Please leave.


Not gonna lie, you're such a delightful person that there is something absolutely blood chilling when you get stern.

There was a Tumblr text post once that said, "I want children to think I'm a fairy but I want grown men to fear me," and I always thought, "Gee, you know that's not the worst goal." :rofl:
Catholic, pro-life, and proud of it. I prefer my debates on religion, politics, and sports with some coffee and a little Aquinas and G.K. CHESTERTON here and there. :3
Unofficial #1 fan of the Who Dat Nation.
"I'm just a singer of simple songs, I'm not a real political man. I watch CNN, but I'm not sure I can tell you the difference in Iraq and Iran. But I know Jesus, and I talk to God, and I remember this from when I was young:
faith, hope and love are some good things He gave us...
and the greatest is love."
-Alan Jackson
King Alfred's Prayer
Help bring home First Nation girls! Now with more ways to help!
Be safe, wear your mask outside the home, pray for peace, mercy, and justice to reign in our world. God bless you!

User avatar
Aeritai
Minister
 
Posts: 2074
Founded: Oct 25, 2018
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Aeritai » Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:00 pm

You know things get serious when Lumi gets angry.

Anyway, to stay on topic I have a question for you guys. Should Church sermons be comfortable or uncomfortable? What I mean by this is that should a sermon be lighthearted or should it tug at your heart strings to make you feel guilty for what you have done that might've upset God?
This is the main nation of the user behind Area 6-Z
Note: If my replies to you in F7 are low-effort or I made a mistake please let know! I want to better myself when it comes to responding to others!
I am a Human Male

User avatar
Luminesa
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 56840
Founded: Dec 09, 2014
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Luminesa » Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:09 pm

Aeritai wrote:You know things get serious when Lumi gets angry.

Anyway, to stay on topic I have a question for you guys. Should Church sermons be comfortable or uncomfortable? What I mean by this is that should a sermon be lighthearted or should it tug at your heart strings to make you feel guilty for what you have done that might've upset God?

I think it's fine to shake-up a congregation a little, as long as it's not solely for the purpose of shock. Some flocks are very lax and should be told what's up. Some who DO know what's up probably need something that will help them to continue their growth. It really comes down to knowing your congregation and their spiritual needs. I have heard my pastor give some incredibly heart-wrenching sermons, and some very funny ones, and some quieter ones. It's definitely a skill that requires a pretty good understanding of your audience, which is often very vast and diverse.
Catholic, pro-life, and proud of it. I prefer my debates on religion, politics, and sports with some coffee and a little Aquinas and G.K. CHESTERTON here and there. :3
Unofficial #1 fan of the Who Dat Nation.
"I'm just a singer of simple songs, I'm not a real political man. I watch CNN, but I'm not sure I can tell you the difference in Iraq and Iran. But I know Jesus, and I talk to God, and I remember this from when I was young:
faith, hope and love are some good things He gave us...
and the greatest is love."
-Alan Jackson
King Alfred's Prayer
Help bring home First Nation girls! Now with more ways to help!
Be safe, wear your mask outside the home, pray for peace, mercy, and justice to reign in our world. God bless you!

User avatar
Sundiata
Negotiator
 
Posts: 6732
Founded: Sep 27, 2019
New York Times Democracy

Postby Sundiata » Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:12 pm

My friend enjoyed the updated answer about purgatory but I'm still having trouble conveying what heaven is "like," so to speak. I'm not sure if this is a limitation of being alive or a theological misunderstanding upon my part.

She's still enthusiastic about the progression it takes for a soul to get to heaven, the virtues, the commitment. Where I'm losing her I think, is conveying the sensory experience of heaven. When I use words like "love" to describe communion with God she responds, "Well, I can't get love on earth."

She's having a very difficult time understanding the distinction of God's love from others. She's also struggling to comprehend that heaven isn't like an amusement park or her favorite movie, or hanging out with your best friend. It's incomprehensibly better.

Tl;dr: how do I describe heaven to someone who's walking back into her faith?
Last edited by Sundiata on Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Gender: Male
Religion: Catholic (Opus Dei)
Politics: Solidarity (Catholic Social Teaching)
Economics: Rerum Novarum (The Encyclical)
Alignment: Lawful Good

"Don't say, 'That person bothers me.' Think: 'That person sanctifies me.'"
-St. Josemaria Escriva (Founder of Opus Dei)

User avatar
Tarsonis
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 15561
Founded: Sep 20, 2017
Democratic Socialists

Postby Tarsonis » Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:22 pm

Sundiata wrote:My friend enjoyed the updated answer about purgatory but I'm still having trouble conveying what heaven is "like," so to speak I'm not sure if this is a limitation of being alive or a theological misunderstanding upon my part.

She's still enthusiastic about the progression it takes for a soul to get to heaven, the virtues, the commitment. Where I'm losing her I think, is conveying the sensory experience of heaven. When I use words like "love" to describe communion with God she responds, "Well, I can't get love on earth."

She's having a very difficult time understanding the distinction of God's love from others. She's also struggling to comprehend that heaven isn't like an amusement park or her favorite movie, or hanging out with your best friend. It's incomprehensibly better.

Tl;dr: how do I describe heaven to someone who's walking back into her faith?


We actually don't know what heaven will be like. We have some allegorical portrayals, but all we really have is Christ told us it won't be like earth. What we do know, is that whatever heaven turns out to be like, it will be bliss, because it is the natural ordination of the soul. The soul is supposed to be in heaven, thus being in heaven is the complete absence of any conflict, it is perfect harmony.


I dunno, if she's a rick and morty fan tell her it's sort of like "True Level."
Last edited by Tarsonis on Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NS Keyboard Warrior since 2005. Rightful winner of 2020 Presidential Election.
Ecclesiastes 1:18 "For in much wisdom is much vexation, and those who increase knowledge increase sorrow"
Galatians 6:7 " Do not be deceived; God is not mocked, for you reap whatever you sow."
1 Corinthians 5:12 What business is it of mine to judge those outside the church? Are you not to judge those inside?
T. Stevens: "I don't hold with equality in all things, but I believe in equality under the Law."
James I of Aragon "Have you ever considered that our position is Idolatry to the Rabbi?"
Debating Christian Theology with Non-Christians pretty much anybody be like

User avatar
Sundiata
Negotiator
 
Posts: 6732
Founded: Sep 27, 2019
New York Times Democracy

Postby Sundiata » Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:31 pm

Tarsonis wrote:I dunno, if she's a rick and morty fan tell her it's sort of like "True Level."

As tempting as that would be, I don't want to risk offending her any further.

I already compared Superman to Joseph of Cupertino in our last conversation pertaining to theology (they both fly). I am on very thin ice with respect to pop-culture references. :lol:
Last edited by Sundiata on Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gender: Male
Religion: Catholic (Opus Dei)
Politics: Solidarity (Catholic Social Teaching)
Economics: Rerum Novarum (The Encyclical)
Alignment: Lawful Good

"Don't say, 'That person bothers me.' Think: 'That person sanctifies me.'"
-St. Josemaria Escriva (Founder of Opus Dei)

User avatar
Sundiata
Negotiator
 
Posts: 6732
Founded: Sep 27, 2019
New York Times Democracy

Postby Sundiata » Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:53 pm

Tarsonis wrote:We actually don't know what heaven will be like. We have some allegorical portrayals, but all we really have is Christ told us it won't be like earth.
That's a little unfortunate, I looked over Dante's Paradiso earlier in the week to get a sense of one idealized conception of heaven and I was hit hard by the beauty of Dante's words. He was right to ultimately have his most beautiful love unmask herself as theology. It makes sense, no? After all, it was Beatrice who brought him more and more close to God.

Beatrice Portinari wrote:Because, as you have seen, my loveliness which, even as we climb the steps of this eternal palace, blazes with more brightness.

Were it not tempered here, would be so brilliant that, as it flashed, your mortal faculty would seem a branch a lightning bolt has cracked.


In any other context, this surely would be an extremely vain statement for anyone to make. But epitomizing theology itself, it's a sensible notion because our mortal faculties do have their limits as they pertain to knowledge.
Last edited by Sundiata on Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gender: Male
Religion: Catholic (Opus Dei)
Politics: Solidarity (Catholic Social Teaching)
Economics: Rerum Novarum (The Encyclical)
Alignment: Lawful Good

"Don't say, 'That person bothers me.' Think: 'That person sanctifies me.'"
-St. Josemaria Escriva (Founder of Opus Dei)

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: A-Series-Of-Tubes, Abserdia, Ethel mermania, Gun Manufacturers, Ifreann, Kowani, Major-Tom, Nakena, National Capitalist United States, Necroghastia, New Jewlan, Paradeavenlisian States, Pinicada, Rasciat, Salus Maior, San Lumen, Senkaku, Snovka, Sucy

Advertisement

Remove ads