NATION

PASSWORD

Christian Discussion Thread XI: Anicetus’ Revenge

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

What is your denomination?

Roman Catholic
38%
Eastern Orthodox
7%
Non-Chalcedonian (Oriental Orthodox, Church of the East, etc.)
1%
Anglican/Episcopalian
5%
Lutheran or Reformed (including Calvinist, Presbyterian, etc.)
10%
Methodist
2%
Baptist
9%
Other Evangelical Protestant (Pentecostal, Charismatic, etc.)
9%
Restorationist (LDS Movement, Jehovah's Witness, etc.)
5%
Other Christian
14%

Total votes : 695

Auze
Minister

Founded: Oct 31, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Auze » Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:51 pm

Punished UMN wrote:
Merrill wrote:
My religion teaches that the American Revolution and Constitution were inspired by God:
"That every man may act in doctrine and principle pertaining to futurity, according to the moral agency which I have given unto him, that every man may be accountable for his own sins in the day of judgment.

Therefore, it is not right that any man should be in bondage one to another.

And for this purpose have I established the Constitution of this land, by the hands of wise men whom I raised up unto this very purpose, and redeemed the land by the shedding of blood."

What is that quote from?

D&C 101.78-80
Last edited by Auze on Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hello, I'm an Latter-day Saint kid from South Carolina!
In case you're wondering, it's pronounced ['ɑ.ziː].
My political views are best described as "incoherent"

Anyway, how about a game?
[spoiler=Views I guess]RIP LWDT & RWDT. Y'all did not go gentle into that good night.
In general I am a Centrist

I disown most of my previous posts (with a few exceptions)

Merrill
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Mar 27, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Merrill » Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:52 pm

Punished UMN wrote:
Merrill wrote:
My religion teaches that the American Revolution and Constitution were inspired by God:
"That every man may act in doctrine and principle pertaining to futurity, according to the moral agency which I have given unto him, that every man may be accountable for his own sins in the day of judgment.

Therefore, it is not right that any man should be in bondage one to another.

And for this purpose have I established the Constitution of this land, by the hands of wise men whom I raised up unto this very purpose, and redeemed the land by the shedding of blood."

What is that quote from?

THE DOCTRINE AND COVENANTS OF THE CHURCH OF JESUS CHRIST OF LATTER-DAY SAINTS
CONTAINING REVELATIONS GIVEN TO JOSEPH SMITH, THE PROPHET
WITH SOME ADDITIONS BY HIS SUCCESSORS IN THE PRESIDENCY OF THE CHURCH
"There is no justification for taking away individuals' freedom in the guise of public safety." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Auze
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Auze » Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:53 pm

Merrill wrote:
Punished UMN wrote:What is that quote from?

Dude, leave Caps lock off. There's no need to shout, and he was just asking.

[spoiler=Views I guess]RIP LWDT & RWDT. Y'all did not go gentle into that good night.

Punished UMN
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 05, 2020
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Punished UMN » Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:53 pm

I mean, tbh I don't even consider the LDS to be Christian, so that doesn't really hold any bearing on me. Hobbes' Leviathan is more binding imo.
Eastern Orthodox Christian. Purgatorial universalist.
Ascended beyond politics, now metapolitics is my best friend. Proud member of the Napoleon Bonaparte fandom.
I have borderline personality disorder, if I overreact to something, try to approach me after the fact and I'll apologize.
The political compass is like hell: if you find yourself on it, keep going.
Pro: The fundamental dignitas of the human spirit as expressed through its self-actualization in theosis. Anti: Faustian-Demonic Space Anarcho-Capitalism with Italo-Futurist Characteristics

Punished UMN
Negotiator

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Punished UMN » Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:54 pm

Punished UMN wrote:I mean, tbh I don't even consider the LDS to be Christian, so that doesn't really hold any bearing on me. Hobbes' Leviathan is more binding imo.

I don't say that to be rude, btw, I just don't believe in mincing words.
Ascended beyond politics, now metapolitics is my best friend. Proud member of the Napoleon Bonaparte fandom.
I have borderline personality disorder, if I overreact to something, try to approach me after the fact and I'll apologize.
Pro: The fundamental dignitas of the human spirit as expressed through its self-actualization in theosis. Anti: Faustian-Demonic Space Anarcho-Capitalism with Italo-Futurist Characteristics

Auze
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Auze » Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:00 pm

Punished UMN wrote:I mean, tbh I don't even consider the LDS to be Christian, so that doesn't really hold any bearing on me. Hobbes' Leviathan is more binding imo.

I'd rather not start a debate on that when I have schoolwork to do (ironically, it's a reading analysis on some of the writings from the Protestant Reformation), so I'll just respectfully state that I disagree and that our beliefs are similar enough that they can be considered Christian, and leave it at that.

Merrill
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Merrill » Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:01 pm

Auze wrote:
Merrill wrote:

Dude, leave Caps lock off. There's no need to shout, and he was just asking.

Sorry, copied from the Title Page that way...
"There is no justification for taking away individuals' freedom in the guise of public safety." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Merrill
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Merrill » Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:04 pm

Punished UMN wrote:

I don't say that to be rude, btw, I just don't believe in mincing words.

We worship the Father in the name of the Son, as Jesus commanded. We follow the doctrine and authority given by Christ to his Apostles. How are we not Christian?

Punished UMN
Negotiator

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Punished UMN » Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:05 pm

Merrill wrote:
Punished UMN wrote:I don't say that to be rude, btw, I just don't believe in mincing words.

We worship the Father in the name of the Son, as Jesus commanded. We follow the doctrine and authority given by Christ to his Apostles. How are we not Christian?

Rejection of the trinity, addition of a false prophet, henotheism, etc.

New Steuben
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Mar 05, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby New Steuben » Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:06 pm

these are the petty arguments i was referring to between Christians

the only thing that should matter for a christian is christ and his teachings, everything else is just filler, or am I just wrong?
Germanic-American Republic of New Steuben/Germanisch-Amerikanische Republik Neu Steuben
Government: Germanic Neo-Pagan Nationalist Constitutional Republic
Head of State: President Otto Wilson
Head of Government: Chancellor Arthur Berg
Ethnicity's: Germanic, Anglo-Saxon, Southern/Eastern Euro Minorities
Climate: Continental

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:07 pm

Merrill wrote:
Punished UMN wrote:I don't say that to be rude, btw, I just don't believe in mincing words.

That doesn't sound quite right.

Might be that you're missing the Holy Spirit there. We worship the One God in Three Persons; Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.
Traditionalist Catholic, Constitutional Monarchist, Habsburg Nostalgic, Distributist, Disillusioned Millennial.

"In any case we clearly see....That some opportune remedy must be found quickly for the misery and wretchedness pressing so unjustly on the majority of the working class...it has come to pass that working men have been surrendered, isolated and helpless, to the hardheartedness of employers and the greed of unchecked competition." -Pope Leo XIII, Rerum Novarum

Lord Dominator
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 22, 2016
Right-wing Utopia

Postby Lord Dominator » Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:07 pm

New Steuben wrote:these are the petty arguments i was referring to between Christians

the only thing that should matter for a christian is christ and his teachings, everything else is just filler, or am I just wrong?

Quite a bit of these discussions are part and parcel on the teachings of Christ (and the Bible more generally), and disagreements on what those teachings precisely are.

Punished UMN
Negotiator

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Punished UMN » Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:08 pm

New Steuben wrote:these are the petty arguments i was referring to between Christians

Tbh, kinda, yeah. All of that "filler" is contained in scripture or has its place in historical development of the faith and serves a particular purpose. There's some stuff that is filler, but that doesn't mean it isn't valuable. But the arguments about this kind of stuff have actual bearing on how we practice our faith and what we believe.

New Steuben
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby New Steuben » Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:08 pm

Lord Dominator wrote:

Quite a bit of these discussions are part and parcel on the teachings of Christ (and the Bible more generally), and disagreements on what those teachings precisely are.

it seems just...inflammatory when a christian would call another christian, not a christian, based on some petty disagreement in theology.
Germanic-American Republic of New Steuben/Germanisch-Amerikanische Republik Neu Steuben

Lower Nubia
Minister

Founded: Dec 22, 2017
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Lower Nubia » Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:09 pm

Salus Maior wrote:
Old Tyrannia wrote:Harking back to an earlier discussion in this thread on whether it is acceptable for Christians to rebel against lawful governments- I managed to find this post from the Anglican blog laudable Practice, which quotes at length a sermon delivered by Christopher Wordsworth, the then-future Bishop of Lincoln, at the Accession Day service on 20th June 1841. The excerpt below effectively summarises my thoughts on the matter.

While I don't mean to disrespect Wordsworth, and by extension you yourself, Tyrannia, that is easy to say when the present is stable and the monarch is a decent sort.

I would wonder, however, how Wordsworth as an Anglican Bishop, thought of Charles II's dethroning. Whether or not the "Popish Plot" was entirely true (I haven't done a ton of reading in that era), Charles II was booted from the throne out of the fear that he would restore the Catholic Church in England. Do you think Wordsworth would have still held that line, or would he have made more of an exception?

Or perhaps as a more modern example, I wonder what he would have thought about Edward VIII and his pretty obviously pressured abdication. I think it's fairly clear that Edward VIII would have been a disaster for the monarchy and for Britain as a whole if he were monarch in WWII, so resisting him and pressuring him to abdicate and leave Britain I would argue was for the best.

I'm not really saying this as a "gotcha" or anything. Because as a Monarchist part of me does strongly believe that fighting the anointed monarch is wrong...But on the other hand there have been understandable situations where it was for the best that the monarch be removed. It's something I grapple with and I'm still trying to make sense of it.

The obvious answer is a Monarch, or other form government, is only validly appointed only while it follows the will of God - the difficult bit is knowing the will of God. God has previously used people to remove monarchies and devolve states as per Israel removing the ancient Canaanite petty kingdoms - it couldn’t be said that God was against himself in that he both appointed and maintained those kingdoms and then simultaneously tore them down. In that regard, deposing a state for Tyranny is a good thing. The more difficult questions are, how much tyranny is enough to act, what is the most appropriate means of removing a tyrant, when does deposing a tyrant in and of itself become tyranny?

The simple means of acting to depose a tyrant is fine, the actual means and conclusion are the difficult area to determine.

My feeling is; deposing a leader through a defensive civil war, for self determination is fine. Deposing a leader who is not a tyrant, through a defensive civil war, for self determination is wrong. What is defensive? Where a break-a-way state only attacks within the territory it has broken from, anything else beyond that area is threatening that which did not break away and itself becomes tyranny.

Civil wars for self determination are pretty normal and even God sanctioned in the Old Testament.
  1. Anglo-Catholic
    Anglican
  2. Socially Centre-Right
  3. Third Way Neoliberal
  4. Asperger
    Syndrome
  5. Graduated
    in Biochemistry
Her Region of Africa
Her Overview (WIP)
"These are they who are made like to God as far as possible, of their own free will, and by God's indwelling, and by His abiding grace. They are truly called gods, not by nature, but by participation; just as red-hot iron is called fire, not by nature, but by participation in the fire's action."
Signature Updated: 15th April, 2022

Punished UMN
Negotiator

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Punished UMN » Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:09 pm

New Steuben wrote:
Lord Dominator wrote:Quite a bit of these discussions are part and parcel on the teachings of Christ (and the Bible more generally), and disagreements on what those teachings precisely are.

it seems just...inflammatory when a christian would call another christian, not a christian, based on some petty disagreement in theology.

The trinity is literally the most important part of our faith.

Lower Nubia
Minister

Postby Lower Nubia » Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:11 pm

As if Pagan’s arn’t so petty in their vast opinions on worship or to whom.
  1. Anglo-Catholic
    Anglican
  2. Socially Centre-Right
  3. Third Way Neoliberal
  4. Asperger
    Syndrome
  5. Graduated
    in Biochemistry
Her Region of Africa
Her Overview (WIP)
"These are they who are made like to God as far as possible, of their own free will, and by God's indwelling, and by His abiding grace. They are truly called gods, not by nature, but by participation; just as red-hot iron is called fire, not by nature, but by participation in the fire's action."

New Steuben
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby New Steuben » Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:12 pm

Lower Nubia wrote:

not really, Pagans don't have an extremely centralized structure that dictates so harshly, the downside is that organization does become more difficult.

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:13 pm

Lower Nubia wrote:
The obvious answer is a Monarch, or other form government, is only validly appointed only while it follows the will of God - the difficult bit is knowing the will of God.

The problem with that statement is that the Will of God can't be undone by anything. Even a bad monarch is within the Will of God.
Traditionalist Catholic, Constitutional Monarchist, Habsburg Nostalgic, Distributist, Disillusioned Millennial.

"In any case we clearly see....That some opportune remedy must be found quickly for the misery and wretchedness pressing so unjustly on the majority of the working class...it has come to pass that working men have been surrendered, isolated and helpless, to the hardheartedness of employers and the greed of unchecked competition." -Pope Leo XIII, Rerum Novarum

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:15 pm

Well, who is Christ and what are His teachings?

Even at that point there's about a billion disagreements which are foundational to peoples' beliefs.

It's never that simple, my guy.

Auze
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Auze » Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:16 pm

... aaand it took that long for a debate to be launched. I'll see if I can make some responses (against my better judgement) and clarifications later.

New Steuben
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby New Steuben » Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:17 pm

Salus Maior wrote:

Well, who is Christ and what are His teachings?

Even at that point there's about a billion disagreements which are foundational to peoples' beliefs.

It's never that simple, my guy.

I know it's not that simple, meh, oh well.

Lower Nubia
Minister

Postby Lower Nubia » Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:17 pm

Salus Maior wrote:
Lower Nubia wrote:
The obvious answer is a Monarch, or other form government, is only validly appointed only while it follows the will of God - the difficult bit is knowing the will of God.

The problem with that statement is that the Will of God can't be undone by anything. Even a bad monarch is within the Will of God.

That begs the question. Nothing can happen without the will of God. Yet we know of monarchs being deposed.
  1. Anglo-Catholic
    Anglican
  2. Socially Centre-Right
  3. Third Way Neoliberal
  4. Asperger
    Syndrome
  5. Graduated
    in Biochemistry
Her Region of Africa
Her Overview (WIP)

Lower Nubia
Minister

Postby Lower Nubia » Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:18 pm

New Steuben wrote:
Lower Nubia wrote:

not really, Pagans don't have an extremely centralized structure that dictates so harshly, the downside is that organization does become more difficult.

Exactly... it’s decentralised to accommodate the vast variety of methods. A variety of methods that exist because people barely agree on anything.
  1. Anglo-Catholic
    Anglican
  2. Socially Centre-Right
  3. Third Way Neoliberal
  4. Asperger
    Syndrome
  5. Graduated
    in Biochemistry
Her Region of Africa
Her Overview (WIP)

New Steuben
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby New Steuben » Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:21 pm

Lower Nubia wrote:
New Steuben wrote:

Exactly... it’s decentralised to accommodate the vast variety of methods. A variety of methods that exist because people barely agree on anything.

sure, but that decentralized structure also allows more personal freedom of worship, instead of people pointing at each other and saying "No that's NOT what they meant!"

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General