NATION

PASSWORD

Christian Discussion Thread XI: Anicetus’ Revenge

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

What is your denomination?

Roman Catholic
38%
Eastern Orthodox
7%
Non-Chalcedonian (Oriental Orthodox, Church of the East, etc.)
1%
Anglican/Episcopalian
5%
Lutheran or Reformed (including Calvinist, Presbyterian, etc.)
10%
Methodist
2%
Baptist
9%
Other Evangelical Protestant (Pentecostal, Charismatic, etc.)
9%
Restorationist (LDS Movement, Jehovah's Witness, etc.)
5%
Other Christian
14%

Total votes : 695

Trollzyn the Infinite
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 22, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Trollzyn the Infinite » Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:35 am

Old Tyrannia wrote:
Trollzyn the Infinite wrote:
Fair enough, I suppose.

I've come to the belief that, spiritually speaking, there is only one church that all practicing Christians belong to by default and no Earthly division can truly sunder it since it goes beyond materialism. But maybe that's just some weird 'Christian unity' fantasy I came up with, I dunno. I feel God shakes His head every time a new denomination springs up, asking Himself "What are you kids doing?"

The idea that no particular church body can claim to be the one, holy, catholic and apostolic church, and that there is an invisible church formed of all believers that is distinct from visible church, is a fundamentally Protestant perspective. You are a Protestant in denial.

No, I'm pretty sure I'm just a heretic.
☆ American Patriot ☆ Civic Nationalist ☆ Rocker & Metalhead ☆ Heretical Christian ☆
"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right."

Reminder that Donald J. Trump is officially a traitor to the United States of America as of January 6th, 2021
The Paradox of Tolerance
永远不会忘记1989年6月4日天安门广场大屠杀
Ես Արցախի կողքին եմ
Wanted Fugitive of the Chinese Communist Party
Unapologetic stan for Lana Beniko - #1 Sith Waifu

Punished UMN
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 05, 2020
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Punished UMN » Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:36 am

Salus Maior wrote:
Trollzyn doesn't consider himself Protestant...For some reason.

Because my nondenominational stance was born specifically out of a rejection of both Protestantism and Catholicism. I can't be a Protestant and reject Protestantism at the same time, and since my mother failed to raise me as a proper Catholic (mostly because she's barely Catholic herself), then what am I? I'm clearly not Protestant, and I'm clearly not Catholic, yet I don't belong to any specific church?

So, besides just "Christian", what do I call myself to designate the fact I follow Christ yet belong to no church?

I don't see how that's not Protestantism, and I don't mean that to be rude or anything.
Eastern Orthodox Christian. Purgatorial universalist.
Ascended beyond politics, now metapolitics is my best friend. Proud member of the Napoleon Bonaparte fandom.
I have borderline personality disorder, if I overreact to something, try to approach me after the fact and I'll apologize.
The political compass is like hell: if you find yourself on it, keep going.
Pro: The fundamental dignitas of the human spirit as expressed through its self-actualization in theosis. Anti: Faustian-Demonic Space Anarcho-Capitalism with Italo-Futurist Characteristics

Merrill
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Mar 27, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Merrill » Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:36 am

Auze wrote:
Merrill wrote:
Sorry, haven't read that. I think the only time it would apply to RC, or any Christian denomination is if the Church was also the State. Islam explicitly does not separate them. My understanding of Scripture is that until Jesus reigns as King of Kings, the Laws of God and Man are not the same. Also, Scripture is adamant that Salvation comes by Choice. Only by understanding Good from Evil, and freely choosing the Good can we be blessed. Choices always have consequences, but any entity that seeks to force people to "Do the Right Thing" is in opposition to Heavenly Father's Plan.

While I do agree with some of your points, a lack of complete separation between church and state does not mean that freedom of religion and other values can't be maintained. While a state that does not maintain those freedoms is in opposition, just because some Islamic states completely fail to do so does not mean that Islam as a whole is responsible, but rather radical elements that cause trouble as they would in any other religion. At least, that's my view on it.

Freedom of Religion is not compulsion by either the State or the Church. The State should not maintain any 'values' other than punishing those that directly harm others. The State should not force people to follow a religion, nor block them from doing so.

As for Islam, if you read the Quran and the Hadiths, the 'radical' elements are the ones behaving as dictated by Mohammed. They haven't "hijacked the religion", they are trying to restore it to its roots.
"There is no justification for taking away individuals' freedom in the guise of public safety." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Nihon no Tengoku
Bureaucrat

Founded: Sep 10, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Nihon no Tengoku » Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:37 am

Old Tyrannia wrote:The idea that no particular church body can claim to be the one, holy, catholic and apostolic church, and that there is an invisible church formed of all believers that is distinct from visible church, is a fundamentally Protestant perspective. You are a Protestant in denial.

No, you really aren't. Unless you're taking the stance of the Catholic church at face value, in which case I have no idea why you wouldn't just be Catholic

Trollzyn the Infinite
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Trollzyn the Infinite » Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:40 am

Nihon no Tengoku wrote:

No, you really aren't. Unless you're taking the stance of the Catholic church at face value, in which case I have no idea why you wouldn't just be Catholic

Personally I think that Western Christianity has strayed too far from what the original church was. I think the Eastern Churches are closer to it and am therefor more sympathetic to them. I've considered joining the Orthodox Church, even.
☆ American Patriot ☆ Civic Nationalist ☆ Rocker & Metalhead ☆ Heretical Christian ☆
"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right."

Reminder that Donald J. Trump is officially a traitor to the United States of America as of January 6th, 2021
The Paradox of Tolerance
永远不会忘记1989年6月4日天安门广场大屠杀
Ես Արցախի կողքին եմ

New Steuben
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Mar 05, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby New Steuben » Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:40 am

I find the squabbling of sects to be silly,your all christians and the disagreements feel petty
Germanic-American Republic of New Steuben/Germanisch-Amerikanische Republik Neu Steuben
Government: Germanic Neo-Pagan Nationalist Constitutional Republic
Head of State: President Otto Wilson
Head of Government: Chancellor Arthur Berg
Ethnicity's: Germanic, Anglo-Saxon, Southern/Eastern Euro Minorities
Climate: Continental

Merrill
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Merrill » Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:40 am

Christianity should not, and does not need the State to support its values and doctrines. We should persuade our neighbors with love to Choose The Right. If a person only does The Right Thing because otherwise they will be punished by Man's Law, then how can God bless them? They did not freely choose Righteousness from their own heart.
"There is no justification for taking away individuals' freedom in the guise of public safety." ~ Thomas Jefferson

New Steuben
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby New Steuben » Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:41 am

Merrill wrote:Christianity should not, and does not need the State to support its values and doctrines. We should persuade our neighbors with love to Choose The Right. If a person only does The Right Thing because otherwise they will be punished by Man's Law, then how can God bless them? They did not freely choose Righteousness from their own heart.

Good point but if you have christian politicians would they not be compelled?
Germanic-American Republic of New Steuben/Germanisch-Amerikanische Republik Neu Steuben

Trollzyn the Infinite
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Trollzyn the Infinite » Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:41 am

New Steuben wrote:I find the squabbling of sects to be silly,your all christians and the disagreements feel petty

Honestly some of them are, but theological disagreements exist in all organized--and some unorganized--religions which naturally leads to division.

The Paradox of Tolerance
永远不会忘记1989年6月4日天安门广场大屠杀
Ես Արցախի կողքին եմ

Trollzyn the Infinite
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Trollzyn the Infinite » Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:43 am

New Steuben wrote:
Merrill wrote:Christianity should not, and does not need the State to support its values and doctrines. We should persuade our neighbors with love to Choose The Right. If a person only does The Right Thing because otherwise they will be punished by Man's Law, then how can God bless them? They did not freely choose Righteousness from their own heart.

99% of government officials in American history have been Christian, yet we've managed to more or less maintain a mostly secular government for over 200 years. It's not impossible.

The Paradox of Tolerance
永远不会忘记1989年6月4日天安门广场大屠杀
Ես Արցախի կողքին եմ

New Steuben
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby New Steuben » Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:43 am

New Steuben wrote:I find the squabbling of sects to be silly,your all christians and the disagreements feel petty

Honestly some of them are, but theological disagreements exist in all organized--and some unorganized--religions which naturally leads to division.

Sure

But a catholic should have no issues praying in an orthodox church and vice versa

New Steuben
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby New Steuben » Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:44 am

New Steuben wrote:

99% of government officials in American history have been Christian, yet we've managed to more or less maintain a mostly secular government for over 200 years. It's not impossible.

I agree im just saying

Merrill
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Merrill » Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:53 am

New Steuben wrote:

Please provide an example. I'm not sure I'm following your question. I know of many Christian politicians that do not try to force others to believe or act as they do. Also, since Agency is fundamental to the Plan of Salvation, they would not be acting in a Christian way if they did.

New Steuben
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby New Steuben » Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:54 am

Merrill wrote:
New Steuben wrote:

Please provide an example. I'm not sure I'm following your question. I know of many Christian politicians that do not try to force others to believe or act as they do. Also, since Agency is fundamental to the Plan of Salvation, they would not be acting in a Christian way if they did.

I would say by trying to apply the christian definition of marriage for one

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:56 am

Salus Maior wrote:
Trollzyn doesn't consider himself Protestant...For some reason.

Because my nondenominational stance was born specifically out of a rejection of both Protestantism and Catholicism. I can't be a Protestant and reject Protestantism at the same time, and since my mother failed to raise me as a proper Catholic (mostly because she's barely Catholic herself), then what am I? I'm clearly not Protestant, and I'm clearly not Catholic, yet I don't belong to any specific church?

So, besides just "Christian", what do I call myself to designate the fact I follow Christ yet belong to no church?

Well, when you say you reject "Protestantism", what do you mean?

Because Protestantism is a huge umbrella of different things.
Traditionalist Catholic, Constitutional Monarchist, Habsburg Nostalgic, Distributist, Disillusioned Millennial.

"In any case we clearly see....That some opportune remedy must be found quickly for the misery and wretchedness pressing so unjustly on the majority of the working class...it has come to pass that working men have been surrendered, isolated and helpless, to the hardheartedness of employers and the greed of unchecked competition." -Pope Leo XIII, Rerum Novarum

Auze
Minister

Founded: Oct 31, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Auze » Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:01 pm

Merrill wrote:
Auze wrote:
While I do agree with some of your points, a lack of complete separation between church and state does not mean that freedom of religion and other values can't be maintained. While a state that does not maintain those freedoms is in opposition, just because some Islamic states completely fail to do so does not mean that Islam as a whole is responsible, but rather radical elements that cause trouble as they would in any other religion. At least, that's my view on it.

Freedom of Religion is not compulsion by either the State or the Church. The State should not maintain any 'values' other than punishing those that directly harm others. The State should not force people to follow a religion, nor block them from doing so.

As for Islam, if you read the Quran and the Hadiths, the 'radical' elements are the ones behaving as dictated by Mohammed. They haven't "hijacked the religion", they are trying to restore it to its roots.

Well ok then. I don't know much about Islam and even if I did this is probably the wrong thread to discuss it (that's better fit in the IDT), though I will state that that last sentence reminds me of the atheists that state that a fundamentalist/evangelical protestant interpretation of the Bible is the only correct way.
Hello, I'm an Latter-day Saint kid from South Carolina!
In case you're wondering, it's pronounced ['ɑ.ziː].
My political views are best described as "incoherent"

Anyway, how about a game?
[spoiler=Views I guess]RIP LWDT & RWDT. Y'all did not go gentle into that good night.
In general I am a Centrist

I disown most of my previous posts (with a few exceptions)

Merrill
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Merrill » Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:06 pm

New Steuben wrote:
Merrill wrote:

I would be thrilled if government got out of marriage all together. Let people create domestic partnerships the same way business partnerships are formed. Create a contract, and file it with the State. Take love and sex out of it. If 2 (or more) friends, siblings, whatever, want to run a household together, then do so. Then churches can define "Marriage" according to their doctrines.

Part of the reason for the culture wars is that government is too large. The State tells a business: "This couple is married so you must serve them this way".

Merrill
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Merrill » Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:08 pm

Auze wrote:
Merrill wrote:

Well ok then. I don't know much about Islam and even if I did this is probably the wrong thread to discuss it (that's better fit in the IDT), though I will state that that last sentence reminds me of the atheists that state that a fundamentalist/evangelical protestant interpretation of the Bible is the only correct way.

The difference is that Christianity as given by Christ and the Apostles does not advocate for obedience by force. Quite the opposite. To be Christian is to Love thy Neighbor, and persuade by example.

Rosmana
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 08, 2020
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Rosmana » Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:09 pm

Merrill wrote:
Auze wrote:Well ok then. I don't know much about Islam and even if I did this is probably the wrong thread to discuss it (that's better fit in the IDT), though I will state that that last sentence reminds me of the atheists that state that a fundamentalist/evangelical protestant interpretation of the Bible is the only correct way.

The difference is that Christianity as given by Christ and the Apostles does not advocate for obedience by force. Quite the opposite. To be Christian is to Love thy Neighbor, and persuade by example.

This so much.

After all, our Lord is NOT a tyrant who rules through fear. :)
Last edited by Rosmana on Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-News in Dispatches, NS stats are not accurate-

My other nations are Rosmana and raskana

-Stop Putin NOW, copy if you agree-

Old Tyrannia
Game Moderator

Founded: Aug 11, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby Old Tyrannia » Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:21 pm

Harking back to an earlier discussion in this thread on whether it is acceptable for Christians to rebel against lawful governments- I managed to find this post from the Anglican blog laudable Practice, which quotes at length a sermon delivered by Christopher Wordsworth, the then-future Bishop of Lincoln, at the Accession Day service on 20th June 1841. The excerpt below effectively summarises my thoughts on the matter.
Christopher Wordsworth wrote:To deny due honour to the king, is to rob not him, but God. Therefore, let us not suppose that true loyalty is an act or habit of mere civil obedience, it is a religious duty. Let us not imagine, that it is a determination of the intellect, it is a Christian grace. Let us not conceive that it springs from earth, it descends from heaven... It is, then, on the grounds here stated, of their possessing the character of ministers and representatives of Almighty God, that kings are entitled to the allegiance of their subjects; and further, it is on this ground, that nothing can discharge their subjects from the duty of civil allegiance to them. Kings are responsible to Him whose officers and deputies they are, and not to man... The personal character of a ruler is not a question for the censorship of his subjects. His treatment of them, however harsh it may be, ought never to provoke them to injure themselves by casting off their loyalty to him. It is never safe to disobey; except when the injunction is in direct opposition to the command of God. The representative of God who orders any thing against the order of God, ceases to be God's representative: his claims, therefore, to obedience, in this particular respect, but not in others, cease. But even in this case, it is a sin to rebel. A Christian knows of no arms against kings but prayers. It would also be a sin to disobey the civil commands of such an authority.
"Classicist in literature, royalist in politics, and Anglo-Catholic in religion" (T.S. Eliot). Still, unaccountably, a NationStates Moderator.
"Have I done something for the general interest? Well then, I have had my reward. Let this always be present to thy mind, and never stop doing such good." - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations (Book XI, IV)
⚜ GOD SAVE THE KING

New Steuben
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby New Steuben » Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:30 pm

Merrill wrote:
New Steuben wrote:

I would be thrilled if government got out of marriage all together. Let people create domestic partnerships the same way business partnerships are formed. Create a contract, and file it with the State. Take love and sex out of it. If 2 (or more) friends, siblings, whatever, want to run a household together, then do so. Then churches can define "Marriage" according to their doctrines.

Part of the reason for the culture wars is that government is too large. The State tells a business: "This couple is married so you must serve them this way".

Government should not be involved i agree

My problem when comes when christians and others try to claim a monopoly on what marriage is.

Merrill
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Merrill » Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:30 pm

Old Tyrannia wrote:Harking back to an earlier discussion in this thread on whether it is acceptable for Christians to rebel against lawful governments- I managed to find this post from the Anglican blog laudable Practice, which quotes at length a sermon delivered by Christopher Wordsworth, the then-future Bishop of Lincoln, at the Accession Day service on 20th June 1841. The excerpt below effectively summarises my thoughts on the matter.
Christopher Wordsworth wrote:To deny due honour to the king, is to rob not him, but God. Therefore, let us not suppose that true loyalty is an act or habit of mere civil obedience, it is a religious duty. Let us not imagine, that it is a determination of the intellect, it is a Christian grace. Let us not conceive that it springs from earth, it descends from heaven... It is, then, on the grounds here stated, of their possessing the character of ministers and representatives of Almighty God, that kings are entitled to the allegiance of their subjects; and further, it is on this ground, that nothing can discharge their subjects from the duty of civil allegiance to them. Kings are responsible to Him whose officers and deputies they are, and not to man... The personal character of a ruler is not a question for the censorship of his subjects. His treatment of them, however harsh it may be, ought never to provoke them to injure themselves by casting off their loyalty to him. It is never safe to disobey; except when the injunction is in direct opposition to the command of God. The representative of God who orders any thing against the order of God, ceases to be God's representative: his claims, therefore, to obedience, in this particular respect, but not in others, cease. But even in this case, it is a sin to rebel. A Christian knows of no arms against kings but prayers. It would also be a sin to disobey the civil commands of such an authority.

My religion teaches that the American Revolution and Constitution were inspired by God:
"That every man may act in doctrine and principle pertaining to futurity, according to the moral agency which I have given unto him, that every man may be accountable for his own sins in the day of judgment.

Therefore, it is not right that any man should be in bondage one to another.

And for this purpose have I established the Constitution of this land, by the hands of wise men whom I raised up unto this very purpose, and redeemed the land by the shedding of blood."

Lower Nubia
Minister

Founded: Dec 22, 2017
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Lower Nubia » Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:34 pm

Tarsonis wrote:
New Steuben wrote:Do you all consider islam a abrahamic faith or a cult that latched onto abrahamic style.

I can't say I see a meaningful difference between the two. Regardless of how they started they worship the God of Abraham.

Christ is the God of Abraham, no?
  1. Anglo-Catholic
    Anglican
  2. Socially Centre-Right
  3. Third Way Neoliberal
  4. Asperger
    Syndrome
  5. Graduated
    in Biochemistry
Her Region of Africa
Her Overview (WIP)
"These are they who are made like to God as far as possible, of their own free will, and by God's indwelling, and by His abiding grace. They are truly called gods, not by nature, but by participation; just as red-hot iron is called fire, not by nature, but by participation in the fire's action."
Signature Updated: 15th April, 2022

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:35 pm

Old Tyrannia wrote:Harking back to an earlier discussion in this thread on whether it is acceptable for Christians to rebel against lawful governments- I managed to find this post from the Anglican blog laudable Practice, which quotes at length a sermon delivered by Christopher Wordsworth, the then-future Bishop of Lincoln, at the Accession Day service on 20th June 1841. The excerpt below effectively summarises my thoughts on the matter.

While I don't mean to disrespect Wordsworth, and by extension you yourself, Tyrannia, that is easy to say when the present is stable and the monarch is a decent sort.

I would wonder, however, how Wordsworth as an Anglican Bishop, thought of Charles II's dethroning. Whether or not the "Popish Plot" was entirely true (I haven't done a ton of reading in that era), Charles II was booted from the throne out of the fear that he would restore the Catholic Church in England. Do you think Wordsworth would have still held that line, or would he have made more of an exception?

Or perhaps as a more modern example, I wonder what he would have thought about Edward VIII and his pretty obviously pressured abdication. I think it's fairly clear that Edward VIII would have been a disaster for the monarchy and for Britain as a whole if he were monarch in WWII, so resisting him and pressuring him to abdicate and leave Britain I would argue was for the best.

I'm not really saying this as a "gotcha" or anything. Because as a Monarchist part of me does strongly believe that fighting the anointed monarch is wrong...But on the other hand there have been understandable situations where it was for the best that the monarch be removed. It's something I grapple with and I'm still trying to make sense of it.
Traditionalist Catholic, Constitutional Monarchist, Habsburg Nostalgic, Distributist, Disillusioned Millennial.

"In any case we clearly see....That some opportune remedy must be found quickly for the misery and wretchedness pressing so unjustly on the majority of the working class...it has come to pass that working men have been surrendered, isolated and helpless, to the hardheartedness of employers and the greed of unchecked competition." -Pope Leo XIII, Rerum Novarum

Punished UMN
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 05, 2020
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Punished UMN » Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:47 pm

Merrill wrote:

My religion teaches that the American Revolution and Constitution were inspired by God:
"That every man may act in doctrine and principle pertaining to futurity, according to the moral agency which I have given unto him, that every man may be accountable for his own sins in the day of judgment.

Therefore, it is not right that any man should be in bondage one to another.

And for this purpose have I established the Constitution of this land, by the hands of wise men whom I raised up unto this very purpose, and redeemed the land by the shedding of blood."

What is that quote from?
Eastern Orthodox Christian. Purgatorial universalist.
Ascended beyond politics, now metapolitics is my best friend. Proud member of the Napoleon Bonaparte fandom.
I have borderline personality disorder, if I overreact to something, try to approach me after the fact and I'll apologize.
The political compass is like hell: if you find yourself on it, keep going.
Pro: The fundamental dignitas of the human spirit as expressed through its self-actualization in theosis. Anti: Faustian-Demonic Space Anarcho-Capitalism with Italo-Futurist Characteristics

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General