NATION

PASSWORD

Utopia Prison - A Thought Experiment

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Krasny-Volny
Minister

Founded: Nov 20, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Krasny-Volny » Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:48 pm

I’m OK with wearing a uniform and working a tightly regimented schedule - heck, that sounds a lot like my last line of work - but I draw the line at having my personal time being meddled with. I don’t cotton to anybody telling me what to do with what I do on my own time - that includes leaving the compound as I please and fraternizing with whoever I want off work, provided she ain’t my boss. I like having a social life outside of, and away from, work and it sounds like this is impossible.
Krastecexport. Cheap armaments for the budget minded, sold with discretion.

UniversalCommons
Senator

Founded: Jan 24, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby UniversalCommons » Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:07 pm

This is no different than being on the space station or working in Antarctica in many ways. It can be done for short amounts of time of a persons own free will but is not conducive to family life or structure. In almost all these situations all of the people are in extremely structured environments with life and death constraints. A trip to mars or several months in a deep undersea base would be exactly like this. In most situations like this, there are no children around and it is impossible to have families. It is usually just men in rigid hierarchies like the inside of a submarine or a secret nuclear missile base. It is only very recently that they have brought women on the space station for extended stays. There is usually no privacy and everyone is monitored to make sure they are stable at all times. People get rotated in and out for short periods of time because of the huge stresses involved. Without an almost absolute level of control like on a mars base, people could end up dead very easily if someone left the airlock open or ate too much or did a lot of things which we take for granted. There are some examples of this in nuclear submarines where someone left the hatch open. There is simply no compromise.

This is what happened to an Indian nuclear submarine where they made a mistake with the hatch.
https://www.popularmechanics.com/milita ... submarine/

It would be very much like life in the early polar expeditions as well. There is no room for error and if you act out in the wrong way people die. Every minute of your life becomes structured and planned. This only works if you agree to it and are completely dedicated or highly trained.

Until 1935 no woman had set foot in Antarctica. You could not have an official accepted relationship in that time period.
https://www.exploratorium.edu/origins/a ... women.html
Last edited by UniversalCommons on Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:41 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Newark Aristocracy
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 10, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Newark Aristocracy » Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:10 am

I'd just deny the offer and then show up to the compound with a entire tank battalion and attack it.

If this was some organization like the you know,SCP Foundation offering this,I would accept instantly.
Last edited by Newark Aristocracy on Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

VVerkia
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 01, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby VVerkia » Sat May 16, 2020 7:48 am

So, do you accept the offer to live in this compound?

No

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Sat May 16, 2020 8:10 am

The question I have is as follows:

Is this place run by David Hasselhoff?
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Page
Post Marshal

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Page » Sat May 16, 2020 8:12 am

It seems a gravedig brought this back. I'm quite interested to resume this discussion if others are.
Anarcho-Communist Against: Bolsheviks, Fascists, TERFs, Putin, Autocrats, Conservatives, Ancaps, Bourgeoisie, Bigots, Liberals, Maoists

I don't believe in kink-shaming unless your kink is submitting to the state.

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Sat May 16, 2020 8:19 am

Page wrote:It seems a gravedig brought this back. I'm quite interested to resume this discussion if others are.

Oh jeezus we be doomed.

and if you do, after this gets locked, make the authoritarian side less repressive. model the PRC, all the positives you suggested but much less repressive, where you have choices but are watched and, society does reward based on social credit. So the pressures to conform are more subtle but equally prevalent.

I didnt realize it's a grave dig, but it is an interesting topic.

Anyway my 2 cents.
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General