NATION

PASSWORD

Hong Kong II - Ragnarök

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

I believe..

It will all die out and HK will slowly be subsumed into an authoritarian China
21%
It will all die out but international pressure will come to bear on China to change
4%
It will continue yet HK will slowly be subsumed into an authoritarian China
34%
It will continue and international pressure will come to bear on China to change
14%
Shit's going down yo'
13%
Hasselhoff will wake from his slumber and the chosen one will rise again
7%
I like clicking polls.. I mean, a bit like democracy I guess.. but i just like clicking polls
6%
Other
2%

Total votes : 547

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 13, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Bombadil » Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:04 pm

Picairn wrote:A Chinese invasion of Taiwan will escalate into WW3.

The idea is to complete this before the 100 anniversary of Communist Party founding in China. The CCP narrative is that they, and they alone, could end the 100 years of shame of colonial rule in HK, and other places, and the Japanese takeover of Taiwan.

That anniversary is 2021, and Xi Jinping is a massive neo-Maoist ideologue. I've moved from thinking it's a possibility to an inevitability, and so I'm wondering what this means for me living in HK if, as you say, WW3 breaks out or even limited warfare in the South Pacific.
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

十年

Diahon
Senator

Founded: Apr 01, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Diahon » Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:09 pm

Bombadil wrote:

The idea is to complete this before the 100 anniversary of Communist Party founding in China. The CCP narrative is that they, and they alone, could end the 100 years of shame of colonial rule in HK, and other places, and the Japanese takeover of Taiwan.

That anniversary is 2021, and Xi Jinping is a massive neo-Maoist ideologue. I've moved from thinking it's a possibility to an inevitability, and so I'm wondering what this means for me living in HK if, as you say, WW3 breaks out or even limited warfare in the South Pacific.

Flee, man.

Do you think preparations for an invasion will at least be slowed down depending on what happens next month in the US? Or will Taiwan be razed to the ground nonetheless?

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Postby Bombadil » Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:13 pm

Diahon wrote:
Bombadil wrote:

Flee, man.

Do you think preparations for an invasion will at least be slowed down depending on what happens next month in the US? Or will Taiwan be razed to the ground nonetheless?

I feel it could certainly be timed for the transition. I don't think they'll raze Taiwan exactly, a senior Chinese think tank noted that HK is essentially a test bed for how they will run Taiwan. Patriotic Education, a strong Security Law that bans dissent and infiltration and takeover of government institutions.

In their own minds at least, they want to act as liberators and just crush any narrative to the counter.
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

十年

The Marlborough
Minister

Founded: May 27, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby The Marlborough » Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:14 pm

Picairn wrote:
Bombadil wrote:I'm getting to the point that I really need to plan my exit strategy if it all goes down this year..

Beijing is stepping up the militarisation of its southeast coast as it prepares for a possible invasion of Taiwan, military observers and sources have said.

The People’s Liberation Army has been upgrading its missile bases, and one Beijing-based military source said it has deployed its most advanced hypersonic missile the DF-17 to the area.

“The DF-17 hypersonic missile will gradually replace the old DF-11s and DF-15s that were deployed in the southeast region for decades,” the source, who requested anonymity, because of the sensitivity of the topic. “The new missile has a longer range and is able to hit targets more accurately.”

“Every rocket force brigade in Fujian and Guangdong is now fully equipped,” he said.

“The size of some of the missile bases in the Eastern and Southern theatre commands have even doubled in recent years, showing the PLA is stepping up preparations for a war targeting Taiwan.”

On Monday, retired major general Wang Zaixi, who once led the mainland’s semi-governmental organisation for managing ties with Taiwan, described the recent exercises as “unprecedented”.

“Until today, the possibility of peaceful reunification was slim,” he told Chinese news site Guancha.cn. “The live-fire military exercises showed it is just one step away to actual combat.”

A Chinese invasion of Taiwan will escalate into WW3.

Most of the world would sit and do nothing.
How could the Irish potato famine happen if they were surrounded by fish?
Support the Lil Red Dress Project to bring awareness to MMIWG.
Bless our neon cyberpunk future.

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Postby Bombadil » Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:18 pm

The Marlborough wrote:

Most of the world would sit and do nothing.

Most, possibly, however I think there would be a concerted response. Taiwan is not just an ethical consideration, it's also a huge forward base for China that threatens Japan, Korea and the Philippines. It provides China with enormous power in the South China Sea.

Not saying China has any intention at all to invade those places but just look at the 9-dash line to see their views on what they own, and then add in Taiwan.

十年

The Marlborough
Minister

Founded: May 27, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby The Marlborough » Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:21 pm

Bombadil wrote:
The Marlborough wrote:Most of the world would sit and do nothing.

Most, possibly, however I think there would be a concerted response. Taiwan is not just an ethical consideration, it's also a huge forward base for China that threatens Japan, Korea and the Philippines. It provides China with enormous power in the South China Sea.

Not saying China has any intention at all to invade those places but just look at the 9-dash line to see their views on what they own, and then add in Taiwan.

Oh I know but to be honest we would probably see different reactions. Japan and Vietnam are the ones that would solidify their anti-PRC stance but the Philippines, especially under Duterte would probably just accept the new reality (he's hinted at this before iirc). SK would be the toss up but even then none of these countries would be able to do anything, especially without US assistance. I do not think the US would get involved, especially now. We can also count out the Europeans from doing anything other than some quips on Twitter accounts and PR meetings.
How could the Irish potato famine happen if they were surrounded by fish?
Support the Lil Red Dress Project to bring awareness to MMIWG.
Bless our neon cyberpunk future.

Diahon
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Diahon » Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:26 pm

Bombadil wrote:
Diahon wrote:
Flee, man.

I feel it could certainly be timed for the transition. I don't think they'll raze Taiwan exactly, a senior Chinese think tank noted that HK is essentially a test bed for how they will run Taiwan. Patriotic Education, a strong Security Law that bans dissent and infiltration and takeover of government institutions.

In their own minds at least, they want to act as liberators and just crush any narrative to the counter.

Given the rhetoric coming down through my grapevine (from PLA soldiers seemingly all too eager to put every Taiwanese they encounter to the nearest wall and shot), I doubt they would care about being perceived as liberators.

Diahon
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Diahon » Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:29 pm

The Marlborough wrote:
Bombadil wrote:

Oh I know but to be honest we would probably see different reactions. Japan and Vietnam are the ones that would solidify their anti-PRC stance but the Philippines, especially under Duterte would probably just accept the new reality (he's hinted at this before iirc). SK would be the toss up but even then none of these countries would be able to do anything, especially without US assistance. I do not think the US would get involved, especially now. We can also count out the Europeans from doing anything other than some quips on Twitter accounts and PR meetings.

Duts may simp hard to authoritarians, and so do enough Pinoys, but most Pinoys still see the United States (and Trump, holy shit) as a force for good. There won't be a glum acceptance of any new reality, there'll be genocide.

Pilipinas and Malaya
Minister

Founded: Jun 23, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Pilipinas and Malaya » Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:35 pm

Bombadil wrote:
The Marlborough wrote:Most of the world would sit and do nothing.

Plus, it's going to be a blow to successfully securing the First Island Chain.
Federative States of Pilipinas and Malaya
Member of Europe

Homepage (leads to other info dispatches)
Accursed, incomplete, self-made map collection of my universe
NS Stats invalid
Yes, my nation does represent a good chunk of my views
Finally got around to dealing with a bunch of canon stuff, expect them to be updated every once in a while. | *inhales copium* In Civ 7, maybe we'll finally get a Filipino civ? | STREAM SEVENTEEN'S FML, OUT NOW

Sungoldy-China
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 15, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Sungoldy-China » Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:56 pm

As long as China is not a democratic government, the fate of Taiwan and Hong Kong will not be too bad.

According to public opinion in China. If it were a democratic government, China will launches foreign wars as easily as the United States.

I just see a news about running a school in a poor area in western China,Chinese's comments are :

"It doesn't make sense to be cruel...just like Americans need illegal immigration from Mexico, China need these uneducated poor"

"But, if education changes their destiny, the cheap labor in China's manufacturing industry will be less and less, and in the end, China will follow the footsteps of the United States, and the manufacturing industry will go somewhere in Vietnam."

"The poor should serve as soldiers, burn, kill and loot in foreign countries instead of studying"
Last edited by Sungoldy-China on Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
every religious idea and every idea of God is unutterable vileness ... of the most dangerous kind, 'contagion' of the most abominable kind
"every religious idea and every idea of God is unutterable vileness ... of the most dangerous kind, 'contagion' of the most abominable kind. Millions of sins, filthy deeds, acts of violence and physical contagions ... are far less dangerous than the subtle, spiritual idea of God decked out in the smartest ideological costumes ..."

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 28, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Austria-Bohemia-Hungary » Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:58 pm

Good thing that the actual powers to declare war doesn't rest with the American presidency but with the Congress and Congress promised Peking war if they as much as crossed the Kinmen Strait.
The Holy Romangnan Empire of Ostmark
something something the sole legitimate Austria-Hungary larp'er on NS :3

MT/MagicT
The Armed Forces|Embassy Programme|The Imperial and National Anthem of the Holy Roman Empire|Characters|The Map

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Postby Bombadil » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:07 am

Sungoldy-China wrote:As long as China is not a democratic government, the fate of Taiwan and Hong Kong will not be too bad.

According to public opinion in China. If it were a democratic government, China will launches foreign wars as easily as the United States.

I just see a news about running a school in a poor area in western China,Chinese's comments are :

"It doesn't make sense to be cruel...just like Americans need illegal immigration from Mexico, China need these uneducated poor"

"But, if education changes their destiny, the cheap labor in China's manufacturing industry will be less and less, and in the end, China will follow the footsteps of the United States, and the manufacturing industry will go somewhere in Vietnam."

"The poor should serve as soldiers, burn, kill and loot in foreign countries instead of studying"

It is de facto bad for HK and Taiwan to have any choice in their future removed from them for no other reason than 'historical claims'. What right does a country have to arbitrarily decide a people at complete odds with their ideology should be forced into their control, to have rights and freedoms removed, for a line drawn in sand at some point?

十年

Violent Mike
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 11, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Violent Mike » Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:54 am

Bombadil wrote:I'm getting to the point that I really need to plan my exit strategy if it all goes down this year..

You're saying YOU HAVEN'T?

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:02 am

Violent Mike wrote:

You're saying YOU HAVEN'T?

Hopefully he is one of the folk that has a right to a UK passport, as that'll expedite the process.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Woldoina
Bureaucrat

Founded: Sep 30, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Woldoina » Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:04 am

FREEDOM TO HONG KONG

Pilipinas and Malaya
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Pilipinas and Malaya » Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:07 am

Sungoldy-China wrote:As long as China is not a democratic government, the fate of Taiwan and Hong Kong will not be too bad.

Actually, China is doing precisely as said in the second statement. They're moving production slowly towards Africa. As for the third statement, honestly wtf, that sounds so classist lol.
Member of Europe

NS Stats invalid
Finally got around to dealing with a bunch of canon stuff, expect them to be updated every once in a while. | *inhales copium* In Civ 7, maybe we'll finally get a Filipino civ? | STREAM SEVENTEEN'S FML, OUT NOW

Rusozak
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 14, 2015

Postby Rusozak » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:17 am

"Let's use the poor as meat slaves." The supposed legacy of Mao and the society the Chinese COMMUNIST Party has created, ladies and gentlemen.
NOTE: This nation's government style, policies, and opinions in roleplay or forum 7 does not represent my true beliefs. It is purely for the enjoyment of the game.

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 28, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Austria-Bohemia-Hungary » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:18 am

The sooner people realises that PRC has become the ideal capitalist-imperialist reich the better.
The Holy Romangnan Empire of Ostmark
something something the sole legitimate Austria-Hungary larp'er on NS :3

MT/MagicT
The Armed Forces|Embassy Programme|The Imperial and National Anthem of the Holy Roman Empire|Characters|The Map

Rusozak
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 14, 2015

Postby Rusozak » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:22 am

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary wrote:The sooner people realises that PRC has become the ideal capitalist-imperialist reich the better.

I feel bad for the kool-Aid drinkers that still unironically believe the CCP is still committed to realizing a communist paradise. The PRC is more like the exploitive capitalist-imperialist hellholes that were around in Marx's time than the modern admittingly capitalist nations.
NOTE: This nation's government style, policies, and opinions in roleplay or forum 7 does not represent my true beliefs. It is purely for the enjoyment of the game.

Picairn
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 21, 2020
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Picairn » Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:30 pm

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary wrote:The sooner people realises that PRC has become the ideal capitalist-imperialist reich the better.

Mao died in disappointment at how Deng reversed all of his communist policies.
Picairn's Ministry of Foreign Affairs
Minister: Edward H. Cornell
WA Ambassador: John M. Terry (Active)
Factbook | Constitution | Newspaper
Social democrat, passionate political observer, and naval warfare enthusiast.
More NSG-y than NSG veterans
♛ The Empire of Picairn ♛
-✯ ✯ ✯ ✯ ✯-—————————-✯ ✯ ✯ ✯ ✯-
Colonel (Brevet) of the North Pacific Army, COO of Warzone Trinidad

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Postby Bombadil » Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:29 pm

Picairn wrote:

Mao died in disappointment at how Deng reversed all of his communist policies.

Pedantically he didn't as it took a couple of years for Deng to gain power after Mao's death, but he can rest easy because Xi Jinping is bringing it all back.

They're closing the HK Museum for 'renovation', though everyone knows it's so they can rewrite history.

It was its last day before the permanent exhibition “Hong Kong Story” closed for an extensive two-year revamp. There have been fears that the new displays may censor or exclude politically sensitive events such as the city’s colonial history and its relationship with China. United Social Press photojournalists were present to capture the last day of the 19-year-old exhibition.

..for evidence.

十年

Sungoldy-China
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Sungoldy-China » Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:38 am

Pilipinas and Malaya wrote:

Actually, China is doing precisely as said in the second statement. They're moving production slowly towards Africa. As for the third statement, honestly wtf, that sounds so classist lol.

Look at how the U.S. Army recruits soldiers, you will know the third statement is just on the way of learning USA.
If China become democratic government, it will soom become a degraded version of the United States
every religious idea and every idea of God is unutterable vileness ... of the most dangerous kind, 'contagion' of the most abominable kind
"every religious idea and every idea of God is unutterable vileness ... of the most dangerous kind, 'contagion' of the most abominable kind. Millions of sins, filthy deeds, acts of violence and physical contagions ... are far less dangerous than the subtle, spiritual idea of God decked out in the smartest ideological costumes ..."

Pilipinas and Malaya
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Pilipinas and Malaya » Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:36 am

Sungoldy-China wrote:
Pilipinas and Malaya wrote:Actually, China is doing precisely as said in the second statement. They're moving production slowly towards Africa. As for the third statement, honestly wtf, that sounds so classist lol.

Look at how the U.S. Army recruits soldiers, you will know the third statement is just on the way of learning USA.
If China become democratic government, it will soom become a degraded version of the United States

That's a slippery slope you got there with no evidence to back up. How about the democratic governments in Europe that refused to participate in the Middle Eastern wars? What of them?
Member of Europe

NS Stats invalid

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:00 am

Sungoldy-China wrote:Look at how the U.S. Army recruits soldiers, you will know the third statement is just on the way of learning USA.

"Democracy bad because USA" in other words. Lol. What a ridiculous thing to say. :roll:
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Sungoldy-China
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Sungoldy-China » Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:22 am

Pilipinas and Malaya wrote:
Sungoldy-China wrote:

That's a slippery slope you got there with no evidence to back up. How about the democratic governments in Europe that refused to participate in the Middle Eastern wars? What of them?

Come on , you should know , America has castrated Europe ,European countries simply cannot declare war on their own ,The entire European army is under the control of NATO.
France, a somewhat independent country, was the initiator of the Libyan war,These Europe governments are not refused to participate in the wars , they just cannot .

Just learn the history , you will find out howThe United States and the Soviet Union work together to turning Europe into sheep step by step.

look at Suez Crisis , A war between Britain, France and Israel against the United States, the Soviet Union and Egypt
Last edited by Sungoldy-China on Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General