NATION

PASSWORD

Hong Kong II - Ragnarök

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

I believe..

It will all die out and HK will slowly be subsumed into an authoritarian China
21%
It will all die out but international pressure will come to bear on China to change
4%
It will continue yet HK will slowly be subsumed into an authoritarian China
34%
It will continue and international pressure will come to bear on China to change
14%
Shit's going down yo'
13%
Hasselhoff will wake from his slumber and the chosen one will rise again
7%
I like clicking polls.. I mean, a bit like democracy I guess.. but i just like clicking polls
6%
Other
2%

Total votes : 547

Novus America
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 02, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:07 pm

Is their even any pretense that Hong Kong is not going straight dictatorship?
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Zombie Ike/Teddy Roosevelt 2020.

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.
Think something like prewar Fallout, minus the bad stuff.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:13 pm

Novus America wrote:Is their even any pretense that Hong Kong is not going straight dictatorship?

Hong Kong had a kind of semi-democratic status, but now that has been left at the wayside on the road to despotism.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:54 pm

The New California Republic wrote:
Novus America wrote:Is their even any pretense that Hong Kong is not going straight dictatorship?

Hong Kong had a kind of semi-democratic status, but now that has been left at the wayside on the road to despotism.

Yeah that semi free, semi democratic thing has been completely smashed.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 28, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Austria-Bohemia-Hungary » Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:28 am

Welp that was totally unexpected. Remind me again why the CPC's foreign affairs guy is still not persona non grata?
The Holy Romangnan Empire of Ostmark
something something the sole legitimate Austria-Hungary larp'er on NS :3

MT/MagicT
The Armed Forces|Embassy Programme|The Imperial and National Anthem of the Holy Roman Empire|Characters|The Map

Pilipinas and Malaya
Minister

Founded: Jun 23, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Pilipinas and Malaya » Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:32 am

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary wrote:Welp that was totally unexpected. Remind me again why the CPC's foreign affairs guy is still not persona non grata?

Yeah. The reason for the sanctions was bad behaviour in relation to Hong Kong. What an absurd reason, they could have done better.
Federative States of Pilipinas and Malaya
Member of Europe

Homepage (leads to other info dispatches)
Accursed, incomplete, self-made map collection of my universe
NS Stats invalid
Yes, my nation does represent a good chunk of my views
Finally got around to dealing with a bunch of canon stuff, expect them to be updated every once in a while. | *inhales copium* In Civ 7, maybe we'll finally get a Filipino civ? | STREAM SEVENTEEN'S FML, OUT NOW

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:37 am

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary wrote:Welp that was totally unexpected. Remind me again why the CPC's foreign affairs guy is still not persona non grata?

There may be some further expulsions in the wake of this.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

Wave on, wave on

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:05 pm

Every single member of the CCP should be a person non grata.
But unironically support the CCP sanctioning Americans, if they only sanctions all of us our prop blend would be solved, as Americans would no long be able to invest in the PRC, which would be awesome.

This is why the PRC threats of sanctions are a paper tiger, it would hurt them. Because they need American investment, a substantial portion of which flows through Hong Kong.

For example they are obviously not going to sanction the heads of Apple (although I wish they would).
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

-Astoria-
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 27, 2019
Left-wing Utopia

Postby -Astoria- » Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:10 pm

At this point, all caution's been thrown to the wind.
                                                      Republic of Astoria | Pobolieth Asdair                                                      
Bedhent cewsel ein gweisiau | Our deeds shall speak
IC: FactbooksLocationEmbassiesFAQIntegrity | OOC: CCL's VP • 9th in NSFB#110/10: DGES
 ⌜✉⌟ TV1 News | 2023-04-11  ▶ ⬤──────── (LIVE) |  Headlines  Winter out; spring in for public parks • Environment ministry announces A₤300m in renewables subsidies • "Not enough," say unions on A₤24m planned Govt cost-of-living salary supplement |  Weather  Liskerry ⛅ 13° • Altas ⛅ 10° • Esterpine ☀ 11° • Naltgybal ☁ 14° • Ceirtryn ⛅ 19° • Bynscel ☀ 11° • Lyteel ☔ 9° |  Traffic  ROADWORKS: WRE expwy towards Port Trelyn closed; use Routes P294 northbound; P83 southbound 

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 28, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Austria-Bohemia-Hungary » Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:14 pm

Looks like PRC's 50-60 year long plan of incorporating Hong Kong is almost complete... incidentally that's also 12-15 4 year election cycles.
One is clearly playing the long game while its opponents can't see past the next election and hasn't been able to since at least the 80's.
The Holy Romangnan Empire of Ostmark
something something the sole legitimate Austria-Hungary larp'er on NS :3

MT/MagicT
The Armed Forces|Embassy Programme|The Imperial and National Anthem of the Holy Roman Empire|Characters|The Map

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:28 pm

The holding company of Hong Kong's Apple Daily newspaper has seen its stock rise fourfold, a day after the arrest of its owner Jimmy Lai.

Mr Lai was arrested on Monday under a controversial security law imposed by Beijing, but has now been bailed.

The pro-democracy tycoon was among 10 people detained on charges including colluding with foreign forces.

But Hong Kongers have rallied behind the newspaper, buying stocks in the company.

The stock closed on Tuesday at HK$1.10, up from its close of HK$0.255 just 24 hours before.

The paper, which offers a rare, unvarnished take on Hong Kong and China's leadership, said more than 500,000 copies were printed, five times the usual number.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-53732436

Wave on, wave on

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:34 pm

The New California Republic wrote:
The holding company of Hong Kong's Apple Daily newspaper has seen its stock rise fourfold, a day after the arrest of its owner Jimmy Lai.

Mr Lai was arrested on Monday under a controversial security law imposed by Beijing, but has now been bailed.

The pro-democracy tycoon was among 10 people detained on charges including colluding with foreign forces.

But Hong Kongers have rallied behind the newspaper, buying stocks in the company.

The stock closed on Tuesday at HK$1.10, up from its close of HK$0.255 just 24 hours before.

The paper, which offers a rare, unvarnished take on Hong Kong and China's leadership, said more than 500,000 copies were printed, five times the usual number.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-53732436

Unfortunately it matters little. The PRC will make sure the paper becomes compliant or they will shut it down entirely. The PRC will not tolerate freedom of speech and press in Hong King anymore and will crush it.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Glorious Hong Kong
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 01, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Glorious Hong Kong » Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:46 am

Foreign Chinese legislative body unilaterally extends LegCo's current term by one year without consulting either the provincial puppet government of Guangdong South or its inhabitants first

For some reason, the whole concept of debating bills and amendments to the Basic Law and approving them with a two-thirds majority in LegCo and the yes votes of at least half of all eligible voters regardless of turnout (like how the Taiwanese do it) never crossed their minds. Nope. Let's extend the current term by one whole year just because. Imagine if the White House opted to unilaterally extend Trump's current term by four years in lieu of an election without first consulting Congress or the American people.

U.S. bound goods manufactured in Hong Kong will now be labeled "Made in China" from Sep. 25
LIBERATE HONG KONG. REVOLUTION OF OUR TIMES. CCP DELENDA EST.
VIVE LE FRANCE. JE SUIS SAMUEL PATY. I STAND WITH EUROPE AND ISRAEL AGAINST RADICAL ISLAM.
ALL LIVES MATTER.
Wuhan coronavirus is racist but Japanese encephalitis is A-OK. The CCP has nothing to do with this double standard whatsoever. Nothing to see here.
The case against communism
Definition of radical Islam

-Astoria-
Negotiator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby -Astoria- » Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:29 am

IC: FactbooksLocationEmbassiesFAQIntegrity | OOC: CCL's VP • 9th in NSFB#110/10: DGES
 ⌜✉⌟ TV1 News | 2023-04-11  ▶ ⬤──────── (LIVE) |  Headlines  Winter out; spring in for public parks • Environment ministry announces A₤300m in renewables subsidies • "Not enough," say unions on A₤24m planned Govt cost-of-living salary supplement |  Weather  Liskerry ⛅ 13° • Altas ⛅ 10° • Esterpine ☀ 11° • Naltgybal ☁ 14° • Ceirtryn ⛅ 19° • Bynscel ☀ 11° • Lyteel ☔ 9° |  Traffic  ROADWORKS: WRE expwy towards Port Trelyn closed; use Routes P294 northbound; P83 southbound 

Pilipinas and Malaya
Minister

Founded: Jun 23, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Pilipinas and Malaya » Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:36 am

Good for them. HK probably only released them because they were getting egged (probably metaphorically, physically and on the world staged) and want to improve views on Hong Kong. Many of us know that won’t do anything to most people who support the pro-democracy movement.
Federative States of Pilipinas and Malaya
Member of Europe

Homepage (leads to other info dispatches)
Accursed, incomplete, self-made map collection of my universe
NS Stats invalid
Yes, my nation does represent a good chunk of my views
Finally got around to dealing with a bunch of canon stuff, expect them to be updated every once in a while. | *inhales copium* In Civ 7, maybe we'll finally get a Filipino civ? | STREAM SEVENTEEN'S FML, OUT NOW

-Astoria-
Negotiator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby -Astoria- » Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:41 am

Pilipinas and Malaya wrote:

Good for them. HK probably only released them because they were getting egged (probably metaphorically, physically and on the world staged) and want to improve views on Hong Kong. Many of us know that won’t do anything to most people who support the pro-democracy movement.
So, more of a superficial panacea?

Glorious Hong Kong
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 01, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Glorious Hong Kong » Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:50 am

Apple Daily is finally getting the international recognition that it deserves. The paper needs our support more than ever. Support Apple Daily! Journalism is not a crime!
LIBERATE HONG KONG. REVOLUTION OF OUR TIMES. CCP DELENDA EST.
VIVE LE FRANCE. JE SUIS SAMUEL PATY. I STAND WITH EUROPE AND ISRAEL AGAINST RADICAL ISLAM.
ALL LIVES MATTER.
Wuhan coronavirus is racist but Japanese encephalitis is A-OK. The CCP has nothing to do with this double standard whatsoever. Nothing to see here.
The case against communism
Definition of radical Islam

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:57 am

Glorious Hong Kong wrote:Apple Daily is finally getting the international recognition that it deserves. The paper needs our support more than ever. Support Apple Daily! Journalism is not a crime!

Although I applaud their fight, Journalism is a crime under the “national security law”.
It should not be a crime, but it has been criminalized.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

North American Imperial State
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 05, 2020
Left-wing Utopia

Postby North American Imperial State » Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:39 pm

Novus America wrote:
Glorious Hong Kong wrote:Apple Daily is finally getting the international recognition that it deserves. The paper needs our support more than ever. Support Apple Daily! Journalism is not a crime!

Although I applaud their fight, Journalism is a crime under the “national security law”.
It should not be a crime, but it has been criminalized.

Everything is a crime under the bullshit law unless your Pro China and kiss Xi Jinping and the Chinese Communist Party's ass.
i sometimes post on the forums, sometimes i don't, you will never know

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 13, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Bombadil » Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:14 pm

Well it's not like anyone can go anywhere, HK is effectively one large prison. Wilson Li, the ITV freelancer who was also arrested had to pay 20K bail with a surety of 180K, while having his phone, passport, credit cards etc., all confiscated. Where the hell do they expect him to flee to.. China?
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

十年

Nevertopia
Minister

Founded: May 27, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Nevertopia » Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:16 pm

Hong Kong is done. Not sure what youre supposed to do now but the battle is lost.
So the CCP won't let me be or let me be me so let me see, they tried to shut me down on CBC but it feels so empty without me.
Communism has failed every time its been tried.
Civilization Index: Class 9.28
Tier 7: Stellar Settler | Level 7: Wonderful Wizard | Type 7: Astro Ambassador
This nation's overview is the primary canon. For more information use NS stats.
Black Lives Matter

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:18 pm

Bombadil wrote:

Well it's not like anyone can go anywhere, HK is effectively one large prison. Wilson Li, the ITV freelancer who was also arrested had to pay 20K bail with a surety of 180K, while having his phone, passport, credit cards etc., all confiscated. Where the hell do they expect him to flee to.. China?

Please don’t take this the wrong way, but we took away your special status for US trade.

From our point of view, you are China now.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:19 pm

Nevertopia wrote:Hong Kong is done. Not sure what youre supposed to do now but the battle is lost.

Those with a UK passport can come here.

Wave on, wave on

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 13, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Bombadil » Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:25 pm

Nevertopia wrote:Hong Kong is done. Not sure what youre supposed to do now but the battle is lost.

Nah.. as I've said throughout, no one said this was a short game. What we need is a smart US administration and a strong and unified EU to... ahh bollocks..

Truth is HK is and always will be part of China, what we need is for China to change and that's going to require toppling an increasingly authoritarian Xi Jinping.. who's started regulating how much food you can eat.

Under an article on Wuhan’s N-1 dining initiative by the official People’s Daily, internet users on Weibo left sceptical and in some cases angry comments. “Can you first limit the dining of officials? Don’t always take away from the people,” one said, referring to formal banquets and lavish meals held by officials.

One user, alluding to the economic difficulties many in the country are facing, said: “This seems aimed at us bottom class, but we are already thrifty. This will mean nothing to the rich.” Another said: “I especially hate this kind of political action that leans on ordinary people to act.”

Another wrote: “This level of control. Even the number of dishes people order has to be regulated?”

Link
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

十年

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:26 pm

Bombadil wrote:

Nah.. as I've said throughout, no one said this was a short game. What we need is a smart US administration and a strong and unified EU to... ahh bollocks..

Truth is HK is and always will be part of China, what we need is for China to change and that's going to require toppling an increasingly authoritarian Xi Jinping.. who's started regulating how much food you can eat.

Under an article on Wuhan’s N-1 dining initiative by the official People’s Daily, internet users on Weibo left sceptical and in some cases angry comments. “Can you first limit the dining of officials? Don’t always take away from the people,” one said, referring to formal banquets and lavish meals held by officials.

One user, alluding to the economic difficulties many in the country are facing, said: “This seems aimed at us bottom class, but we are already thrifty. This will mean nothing to the rich.” Another said: “I especially hate this kind of political action that leans on ordinary people to act.”

Another wrote: “This level of control. Even the number of dishes people order has to be regulated?”

Link

That belongs on r/nottheonion
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

The Reformed American Republic
Powerbroker

Founded: May 23, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby The Reformed American Republic » Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:39 pm

Novus America wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:Hong Kong had a kind of semi-democratic status, but now that has been left at the wayside on the road to despotism.

Yeah that semi free, semi democratic thing has been completely smashed.

I think that one year election suspension will be permanent as well.
"It's called 'the American Dream' 'cause you have to be asleep to believe it." - George Carlin
"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right." - Carl Schurz
Older posts do not reflect my positions.

Holocene Extinction

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General