NATION

PASSWORD

Hong Kong II - Ragnarök

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

I believe..

It will all die out and HK will slowly be subsumed into an authoritarian China
21%
It will all die out but international pressure will come to bear on China to change
4%
It will continue yet HK will slowly be subsumed into an authoritarian China
34%
It will continue and international pressure will come to bear on China to change
14%
Shit's going down yo'
13%
Hasselhoff will wake from his slumber and the chosen one will rise again
7%
I like clicking polls.. I mean, a bit like democracy I guess.. but i just like clicking polls
6%
Other
2%

Total votes : 547

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 28, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Austria-Bohemia-Hungary » Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:03 pm

Bombadil wrote: language, cuisine, traditions..

Don't worry you will soon too enjoy the "illuminous benefits" of fake food, fake everything and the destruction of Cantonese as a cultural and linguistic group like PRC already did to the Manchu.
/s
The Holy Romangnan Empire of Ostmark
something something the sole legitimate Austria-Hungary larp'er on NS :3

MT/MagicT
The Armed Forces|Embassy Programme|The Imperial and National Anthem of the Holy Roman Empire|Characters|The Map

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 13, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Bombadil » Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:04 pm

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary wrote:
Bombadil wrote: language, cuisine, traditions..

Don't worry you will soon too enjoy the "illuminous benefits" of fake food, fake everything and the destruction of Cantonese as a cultural and linguistic group like PRC already did to the Manchu.
/s

..and are doing to the Tibetans and Uighers.
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

十年

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Austria-Bohemia-Hungary » Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:19 pm

Considering what's going on in Wuhan, how prepared are HK authorities?

MT/MagicT
The Armed Forces|Embassy Programme|The Imperial and National Anthem of the Holy Roman Empire|Characters|The Map

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Postby Bombadil » Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:25 pm

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary wrote:Considering what's going on in Wuhan, how prepared are HK authorities?

When the pneumonia outbreak emerged in Wuhan last month, authorities did not arrange for the body temperature of passengers arriving from the mainland city to be checked. No travel alert was issued either.

Such a relaxed government stance might have misled the public to underestimate the threat from the virus.

It was only after the situation in Wuhan worsened, with the number of cases growing along with the number of deaths, and Hong Kong saw the number of suspected infections rising to over 100, that Hong Kong authorities decided to step up measures regarding the outbreak.

From Tuesday, all passengers arriving on flights from Wuhan are required to fill in health declaration forms, declaring any symptoms and putting down their contact information for follow-up action. Wuhan authorities later suspended transport out of the mainland city and urged residents not to leave.

It will be recalled that in 2015, during the outbreak of Middle East Respiratory Syndrome, Hong Kong authorities did not lose time and raised the Red Outbound Travel Alert on South Korea.

This time around, the government officials waited until the lives of the city’s 7 million people are at risk before acting.

To understand why officials apparently dragged their feet on the Wuhan virus, perhaps we can look at the situation from a political angle.

If Hong Kong took immediate action, it could be regarded as overreacting, and such action might be seen as negative for China’s image and stability, therefore politically incorrect.

Such government mentality is becoming more prevalent in recent years, which may have eventually led the rating agencies to conclude that Hong Kong is increasingly unable to make its own policies and thus has less reason to enjoy a premium rating over mainland China.

Even our health and safety is threatened in how low the government kowtows to Beijing.
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

十年

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Postby Bombadil » Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:44 pm

Faces of Protest - TIME Magazine's new cover..

十年

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Austria-Bohemia-Hungary » Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:47 pm

Bombadil wrote:Faces of Protest - TIME Magazine's new cover..

人民万岁。Ten Thousand Years to the People.

MT/MagicT

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Postby Bombadil » Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:57 pm

Lol China..

Protesters calling for the release of a senior Chinese telecommunications executive arrested in Canada have admitted they were paid actors, in the latest twist in a closely watched extradition case that has chilled relations between Ottawa and Beijing.

More than a dozen people joined a demonstration on Monday outside a Vancouver courtroom where the Huawei executive Meng Wanzhou is fighting extradition to the US for alleged fraud related to sanctions against Iran.

The protesters held handwritten signs that read “Free Meng” and “Trump stop bullying us” – but it soon emerged that they were actors who had been promised C$100 ($76) for two hours’ work on a movie.

In a Facebook post, one of the actors, Julia Hackstaff described the fake protest as a “filthy cheap scam” that has resulted in her receiving hate messages online.

Hackstaff said she had been offered work as a movie extra, but soon after arriving at the court realized she had been duped into attending a real event.

“I feel cheated, used, abused, angry, deeply saddened and emotions that I don’t even have words to describe,” she wrote. It was unclear who had recruited the actors.

A Huawei spokesman told the AP that the company had no involvement with the protest. China’s embassy in Ottawa did not immediately respond to a message seeking comment.

Another protester, Ken Bonson, gave an identical account to the Toronto Star, saying she “had no idea what I was going into”.

十年

Nakena
Post Marshal

Founded: May 06, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Nakena » Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:05 pm

Bombadil wrote:Lol China..

Protesters calling for the release of a senior Chinese telecommunications executive arrested in Canada have admitted they were paid actors, in the latest twist in a closely watched extradition case that has chilled relations between Ottawa and Beijing.

More than a dozen people joined a demonstration on Monday outside a Vancouver courtroom where the Huawei executive Meng Wanzhou is fighting extradition to the US for alleged fraud related to sanctions against Iran.

The protesters held handwritten signs that read “Free Meng” and “Trump stop bullying us” – but it soon emerged that they were actors who had been promised C$100 ($76) for two hours’ work on a movie.

In a Facebook post, one of the actors, Julia Hackstaff described the fake protest as a “filthy cheap scam” that has resulted in her receiving hate messages online.

Hackstaff said she had been offered work as a movie extra, but soon after arriving at the court realized she had been duped into attending a real event.

“I feel cheated, used, abused, angry, deeply saddened and emotions that I don’t even have words to describe,” she wrote. It was unclear who had recruited the actors.

A Huawei spokesman told the AP that the company had no involvement with the protest. China’s embassy in Ottawa did not immediately respond to a message seeking comment.

Another protester, Ken Bonson, gave an identical account to the Toronto Star, saying she “had no idea what I was going into”.

New levels of lol have been successfully been reached.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 15, 2014
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:11 pm

Hired by the Canadians?

If so, quite clever

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Austria-Bohemia-Hungary » Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:13 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:Hired by the Canadians?

If so, quite clever

It's not like the "People's" Currency is legal tender in Canada. This was low quality low effort IM, and you know it.
Last edited by Austria-Bohemia-Hungary on Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MT/MagicT

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Postby Bombadil » Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:15 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:

Hired by the Canadians?

If so, quite clever

Probably hired by the Chinese consulate, and spectacularly stupid.

Top 3 most read stories in The Guardian at the moment are:

Most Viewed Across The Guardian
Coronavirus: China bars 11m residents from leaving city at centre of outbreak
Protesters who demanded Huawei CFO's release revealed to be paid actors
From loo roll to dumplings: Hong Kong protesters weaponise purchasing power

Headache day for Xi Jinping, I imagine it's all they're talking about at WEF as well.

Kung Hei Fat Choi!
Last edited by Bombadil on Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

十年

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:16 pm

If so, quite clever

Who do you think hired the fake protesters in this scenario?

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Austria-Bohemia-Hungary » Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:22 pm

Heloin wrote:

If so, quite clever

The Canadians, obvs.
/s
Bombadil wrote:Probably hired by the Chinese consulate, and spectacularly stupid.

PRC Spies: Cant even astroturf right.
Last edited by Austria-Bohemia-Hungary on Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MT/MagicT

The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 18, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp » Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:34 pm

China is still shitty, could really be doing better.

Free Hong Kong.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:39 pm

Heloin wrote:

If so, quite clever

I believe it was the Canadian government using Chinese proxies

I’ve got to say, this is a good play from them

I would have thought of the same move if I were in their shoes

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:40 pm

Bombadil wrote:
Austria-Bohemia-Hungary wrote:Considering what's going on in Wuhan, how prepared are HK authorities?

When the pneumonia outbreak emerged in Wuhan last month, authorities did not arrange for the body temperature of passengers arriving from the mainland city to be checked. No travel alert was issued either.

Such a relaxed government stance might have misled the public to underestimate the threat from the virus.

It was only after the situation in Wuhan worsened, with the number of cases growing along with the number of deaths, and Hong Kong saw the number of suspected infections rising to over 100, that Hong Kong authorities decided to step up measures regarding the outbreak.

From Tuesday, all passengers arriving on flights from Wuhan are required to fill in health declaration forms, declaring any symptoms and putting down their contact information for follow-up action. Wuhan authorities later suspended transport out of the mainland city and urged residents not to leave.

It will be recalled that in 2015, during the outbreak of Middle East Respiratory Syndrome, Hong Kong authorities did not lose time and raised the Red Outbound Travel Alert on South Korea.

This time around, the government officials waited until the lives of the city’s 7 million people are at risk before acting.

To understand why officials apparently dragged their feet on the Wuhan virus, perhaps we can look at the situation from a political angle.

If Hong Kong took immediate action, it could be regarded as overreacting, and such action might be seen as negative for China’s image and stability, therefore politically incorrect.

Such government mentality is becoming more prevalent in recent years, which may have eventually led the rating agencies to conclude that Hong Kong is increasingly unable to make its own policies and thus has less reason to enjoy a premium rating over mainland China.

Even our health and safety is threatened in how low the government kowtows to Beijing.

I like how you somehow managed to spin even Wuhan into this anti-China narrative

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Postby Bombadil » Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:43 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Heloin wrote:Who do you think hired the fake protesters in this scenario?

It's the Canadian government that's prosecuting the case,

The revelations came as Canadian government lawyers returned to court for the third day, to argue that Meng – Huawei’s chief financial officer – should be extradited because she was guilty of fraud.

No doubt.. ideas that specularly backfire is your forte.

十年

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:44 pm

Bombadil wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:

Exactly.

Which is why it’s so clever

It’s such a roundabout way to embarrass their opponents and make them look even better, all the while almost no one will suspect at all
Last edited by Infected Mushroom on Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:48 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:

Why the fuck would Canada pay the Chinese government to pay a Chinese company to hire actors to protest the Canadian Government? That's stupid.

They were caught, it was clearly a stupid play.

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:49 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Bombadil wrote:

Exactly.

It’s such a roundabout way to embarrass their opponents and make them look even better, all the while almost no one will suspect at all

No, you're just making up stupid conspiracy nonsense.

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Austria-Bohemia-Hungary » Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:51 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Bombadil wrote:

Exactly.

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary wrote:The Canadians, obvs.

I told you guys.

MT/MagicT

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:51 pm

Heloin wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:

Why the fuck would Canada pay the Chinese government to pay a Chinese company to hire actors to protest the Canadian Government? That's stupid.

They were caught, it was clearly a stupid play.

The point was for the actors to get caught (Canada gains, and it can’t be traced back)

I don’t think you’re quite following

The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 18, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp » Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:52 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:

wha am i reading

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Austria-Bohemia-Hungary » Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:53 pm

Heloin wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:
Exactly.

He is just doing the whole "Accuse the other side of that which you are guilty" thing, which is why it sounds like and is complete garbage.
Last edited by Austria-Bohemia-Hungary on Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MT/MagicT

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:53 pm

Heloin wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:
Exactly.

Nothing’s proven at this point

Anyone could have hired them, though I believe looking at gains and losses, a Canadian theory is very likely to be right

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General