NATION

PASSWORD

Hong Kong II - Ragnarök

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

I believe..

It will all die out and HK will slowly be subsumed into an authoritarian China
21%
It will all die out but international pressure will come to bear on China to change
4%
It will continue yet HK will slowly be subsumed into an authoritarian China
34%
It will continue and international pressure will come to bear on China to change
14%
Shit's going down yo'
13%
Hasselhoff will wake from his slumber and the chosen one will rise again
7%
I like clicking polls.. I mean, a bit like democracy I guess.. but i just like clicking polls
6%
Other
2%

Total votes : 547

Tuthina
Senator

Founded: Jun 14, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Tuthina » Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:48 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Tuthina wrote:Yes, professionalism and minimum force indeed.

And for someone allegedly living in Hong Kong, you really suck at knowing the local geography if you think Charter Garden is anywhere near Tai Po enough to make the two events relevant.

and he was told to stop (and he did), things can situationally get out of hand

you'll rarely find a 100% perfect handling of a riot

Yes, abusing your authority as a police to inflict non-minimum force yields you nothing more than a shove, while posting a Lennon Wall yields you suspension of duty (the first police subjected to it since the beginning of the movement, in fact, including that one traffic cop who try to run their motorcycle into protesters). Truly a logical and consistent policy and not at all dependent on one's political stance. :roll:
Call me Reno.
14:54:02 <Lykens> Explain your definition of Reno.

11:47 <Swilatia> Good god, copy+paste is no way to build a country!

03:08 <Democratic Koyro> NSG senate is a glaring example of why no one in NSG should ever have a position of authority
Rated as Class A: Environmental Utopia by Namor People's Rating Department
Rated as Human Rights Haven (7/10) by Namor People's Rating Department
Rated as Partially Free (4/10) by Namor People's Rating Department
Rated as Post-Industrial Nation (48 000 thousands of metric tons of carbon annually) by Syleruian Carbon Output Index
Rated as Category B by Edenist Travel Advisory Guide

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 28, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Austria-Bohemia-Hungary » Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:48 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Austria-Bohemia-Hungary wrote:I would bet my life-savings on that this particular specimen of authoritarian terrorism was bussed in from the mainland.

now now

let's not be anti-Mainlander

The Peking Regime has given zero fucks about creating fake policemen and fake security personnel who are in actuality nothing but mere thugs and scum of the Earth. I would not be surprised if this particular specimen belongs to this species of fake policemen.
The Holy Romangnan Empire of Ostmark
something something the sole legitimate Austria-Hungary larp'er on NS :3

MT/MagicT
The Armed Forces|Embassy Programme|The Imperial and National Anthem of the Holy Roman Empire|Characters|The Map

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 15, 2014
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:48 pm

The New California Republic wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:
what a revolutionary idea

petrol bombs are bombs that can cause fires and explosions

now who would have thought

Petrol bombs are not explosives, they are incendiary.

they cause fires and may cause things to blow up

so as far as I'm concerned, they are in the same ballpark

bombs are bombs

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:49 pm

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:
now now

The Peking Regime has given zero fucks about creating fake policemen and fake security personnel who are in actuality nothing but mere thugs and scum of the Earth. I would not be surprised if this particular specimen belongs to this species of fake policemen.

going to need a source on that

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:50 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:Petrol bombs are not explosives, they are incendiary.

bombs are bombs

That does not make them explosives.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:51 pm

Tuthina wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:
and he was told to stop (and he did), things can situationally get out of hand

you'll rarely find a 100% perfect handling of a riot

Yes, abusing your authority as a police to inflict non-minimum force yields you nothing more than a shove, while posting a Lennon Wall yields you suspension of duty (the first police subjected to it since the beginning of the movement, in fact, including that one traffic cop who try to run their motorcycle into protesters). Truly a logical and consistent policy and not at all dependent on one's political stance. :roll:

It's consistent.

There's a public/state interest in discouraging violent protests and sensationalistic activism. The police, represent the government, and so should be incentivised to promote those interests.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:51 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:

bombs are bombs

That does not make them explosives.

weapons are weapons

bombs are bombs

you want to get technical, fine by me
Last edited by Infected Mushroom on Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Austria-Bohemia-Hungary » Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:52 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Austria-Bohemia-Hungary wrote:The Peking Regime has given zero fucks about creating fake policemen and fake security personnel who are in actuality nothing but mere thugs and scum of the Earth. I would not be surprised if this particular specimen belongs to this species of fake policemen.

These two "fine gentlemen" are basketball players in actuality. Brought in so that Herr Bo Xilai would look tiny in the court room.

MT/MagicT
The Armed Forces|Embassy Programme|The Imperial and National Anthem of the Holy Roman Empire|Characters|The Map

Tuthina
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Tuthina » Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:52 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:Petrol bombs are not explosives, they are incendiary.

bombs are bombs

The fact that someone with such kind of train of thought is legally allowed to teach in Hong Kong terrifies me.

Infected Mushroom wrote:
now now

To be fair, home-grown police officers are equally capable of such level of brutality. Hell, the current Commissioner majored in Social Work.
Call me Reno.

03:08 <Democratic Koyro> NSG senate is a glaring example of why no one in NSG should ever have a position of authority
Rated as Post-Industrial Nation (48 000 thousands of metric tons of carbon annually) by Syleruian Carbon Output Index

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:53 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:

These two "fine gentlemen" are basketball players in actuality. Brought in so that Herr Bo Xilai would look tiny in the court room.

hilarious

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:54 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:That does not make them explosives.

weapons are weapons

bombs are bombs

It isn't fucking "technical" at all. It's really quite simple. Petrol bombs are not explosives. If you are unwilling to discern between things, then that is very much a you problem.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

Wave on, wave on

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Austria-Bohemia-Hungary » Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:56 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Austria-Bohemia-Hungary wrote:These two "fine gentlemen" are basketball players in actuality. Brought in so that Herr Bo Xilai would look tiny in the court room.

hilarious

Yes. Fake policemen and Chengguan thugs who beat you to death for doing your democratic duty of monitoring the police service (or doing nothing suspicious at all) are indeed "hilarious".
In 2014, a man filming the Chengguan abusing a female street vendor was brutally beaten with a hammer until he was vomiting blood. He was pronounced dead on the way to the hospital.

Motherfuckers.
Last edited by Austria-Bohemia-Hungary on Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

MT/MagicT

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:56 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:
weapons are weapons

bombs are bombs

It isn't fucking "technical" at all. It's really quite simple. Petrol bombs are not explosives. If you are unwilling to discern between things, then that is very much a you problem.

does it matter?

As I say, if it's a bomb, and if the rioters are throwing bombs at police stations... then a line into terrorism has been crossed

no one can look at "they threw bombs at police stations" objectively and not say, "well that's terrorism"

whether or not something is "technically" an explosive or not doesn't matter, bombs are bombs

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:58 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:
hilarious

Yes. Fake policemen and Chengguan thugs who beat you to death for doing your democratic duty of monitoring the police service are indeed "hilarious".
In 2014, a man filming the Chengguan abusing a female street vendor was brutally beaten with a hammer until he was vomiting blood. He was pronounced dead on the way to the hospital.

Motherfuckers.

do you have a source that some of HK's 30,000 are actually mainland operatives from out of the force?
Last edited by Infected Mushroom on Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Austria-Bohemia-Hungary » Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:59 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Austria-Bohemia-Hungary wrote:Yes. Fake policemen and Chengguan thugs who beat you to death for doing your democratic duty of monitoring the police service are indeed "hilarious".

Motherfuckers.

do you have a source that some of HK's 30,000 are actually mainland operatives from out of the force?

Why don't you ask Peking.

MT/MagicT

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:59 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:It isn't fucking "technical" at all. It's really quite simple. Petrol bombs are not explosives. If you are unwilling to discern between things, then that is very much a you problem.

does it matter?

Yes it does matter. You tried to dress it up as it being a case of the protesters planting bombs or some shit, "protestors tried to bomb Tai Po police station with explosives", it makes it sound like something that it isn't.

Wave on, wave on

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:00 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:
does it matter?

Yes it does matter. You tried to dress it up as it being a case of the protesters planting bombs or some shit, "protestors tried to bomb Tai Po police station with explosives", it makes it sound like something that it isn't.

they threw bombs at the police station

there's no dressing up necessary to make that terrorism

throwing bombs at police station = acts of terror

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Austria-Bohemia-Hungary » Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:01 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:Yes it does matter. You tried to dress it up as it being a case of the protesters planting bombs or some shit, "protestors tried to bomb Tai Po police station with explosives", it makes it sound like something that it isn't.

Is beating people to death with a hammer for the "high crime and misdemeanors" of selling fruits also an act of terror then?

MT/MagicT

Tuthina
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Tuthina » Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:02 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:
does it matter?

To be honest, that would've been more effective. Petrol bombs are more anti-personnel and anti-vehicle than anti-building. Perhaps unfortunately, the protesters as a whole are, despite what some might think, still too peaceful and hesitant on applying petrol bombs on the first category of targets on a regular basis, which in turns enable the police to continue their brutality because, hey, it's not like they would get any serious repercussion, right?
Call me Reno.

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:03 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:Yes it does matter. You tried to dress it up as it being a case of the protesters planting bombs or some shit, "protestors tried to bomb Tai Po police station with explosives", it makes it sound like something that it isn't.

You called them explosives. You made it seem like something that it wasn't, and I think that was entirely intentional on your part, given the way that you have on previous occasions on this thread interpreted things weirdly in order to make it seem like something was happening that actually wasn't.

Wave on, wave on

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Austria-Bohemia-Hungary » Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:04 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:

Is beating people to death with a hammer for the "high crime and misdemeanors" of selling fruits also an act of terror then?

For fucks sake one incident had a group of apparent policemen beat a man to death for the "crime" of walking home alone.
This IM. Is the regime that you support. OWN UP TO IT.
Last edited by Austria-Bohemia-Hungary on Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.

MT/MagicT

Novus America
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 02, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:12 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Tuthina wrote:Yes, abusing your authority as a police to inflict non-minimum force yields you nothing more than a shove, while posting a Lennon Wall yields you suspension of duty (the first police subjected to it since the beginning of the movement, in fact, including that one traffic cop who try to run their motorcycle into protesters). Truly a logical and consistent policy and not at all dependent on one's political stance. :roll:

It's consistent.

There's a public/state interest in discouraging violent protests and sensationalistic activism. The police, represent the government, and so should be incentivised to promote those interests.

Consistently supporting your side no matter what, despite hypocritically only applying standards to the other side is not consistency in applying standards.

Saying “A is literally always right because A is good, and B is bad, and A has the right to do anything it wants and B has no rights to do anything at all” is only consistent in terms that it it is consistently hypocritical. Also consistency is only a virtue if one is correct.

Making a consistently wrong argument over and over is consistent, but not good.
Last edited by Novus America on Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Zombie Ike/Teddy Roosevelt 2020.

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.
Think something like prewar Fallout, minus the bad stuff.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 13, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Bombadil » Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:19 pm

Unsurprisingly the IPCC report on police conduct has been delayed..

The Independent Police Complaints Council (IPCC) will delay the publication of its interim report on the months-long social unrest, pending the results of a judicial review.

In a press statement issued after a meeting on Thursday, the IPCC said the first interim report was originally planned to be released in early 2020, but the High Court granted leave to an application on Dec. 20 last year for the judicial review (JR) which seeks to challenge the council’s power to conduct the “thematic study” as it is called, the Hong Kong Economic Journal reports.

“Having discussed with its legal advisers about the ongoing court proceedings and after considering the various implications of the possible outcomes of the JR, it was unanimously resolved at [Thursday’s] meeting to postpone the decision on the publication of the interim report of the said thematic study until after the delivery of judgment in the JR,” the police watchdog said in the statement.

Given Carrie Lam has stated she will not broach any criticism of the police I doubt even this watered down IPCC report will ever be released.
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

十年

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Austria-Bohemia-Hungary » Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:21 pm

Bombadil wrote:Given Carrie Lam has stated she will not broach any criticism of the police I doubt even this watered down IPCC report will ever be released.

Lackey of the Central Commission does what lackeys of the Central Commission does best I guess. That's a splendid French word btw, Lackey.
Last edited by Austria-Bohemia-Hungary on Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MT/MagicT

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:35 pm

Bombadil wrote:Unsurprisingly the IPCC report on police conduct has been delayed..

The Independent Police Complaints Council (IPCC) will delay the publication of its interim report on the months-long social unrest, pending the results of a judicial review.

In a press statement issued after a meeting on Thursday, the IPCC said the first interim report was originally planned to be released in early 2020, but the High Court granted leave to an application on Dec. 20 last year for the judicial review (JR) which seeks to challenge the council’s power to conduct the “thematic study” as it is called, the Hong Kong Economic Journal reports.

“Having discussed with its legal advisers about the ongoing court proceedings and after considering the various implications of the possible outcomes of the JR, it was unanimously resolved at [Thursday’s] meeting to postpone the decision on the publication of the interim report of the said thematic study until after the delivery of judgment in the JR,” the police watchdog said in the statement.

Given Carrie Lam has stated she will not broach any criticism of the police I doubt even this watered down IPCC report will ever be released.

Tbh this is the watchdog that HK's own government admitted lacked the power to conduct an investigation, so it was taken as a given that shit like this was going to happen:

Hong Kong’s police watchdog lacks the power to conduct an investigation into the police force’s handling of months of protests in the city, a panel of experts appointed by the enclave’s government said in a report issued Friday.

The report’s findings are a major blow to Hong Kong’s embattled leader, Chief Executive Carrie Lam, who has insisted that the Independent Police Complaints Council (IPCC) is capable of conducting an independent investigation.

The findings will also strengthen the hand of protesters, who for months have been calling for an independent probe into the police.

https://time.com/5723615/hong-kong-ipcc ... omplaints/

Wave on, wave on

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General