NATION

PASSWORD

Hong Kong II - Ragnarök

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

I believe..

It will all die out and HK will slowly be subsumed into an authoritarian China
21%
It will all die out but international pressure will come to bear on China to change
4%
It will continue yet HK will slowly be subsumed into an authoritarian China
34%
It will continue and international pressure will come to bear on China to change
14%
Shit's going down yo'
13%
Hasselhoff will wake from his slumber and the chosen one will rise again
7%
I like clicking polls.. I mean, a bit like democracy I guess.. but i just like clicking polls
6%
Other
2%

Total votes : 547

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 13, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Bombadil » Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:49 pm

Meanwhile..

President Donald Trump on Tuesday ordered an end to Hong Kong’s special status under US law to punish China for what he called “aggressive actions” against the former British colony.

Citing China’s decision to enact a new national security law for Hong Kong, Trump said he signed an executive order that will end the preferential economic treatment Hong Kong has received for years – “no special privileges, no special economic treatment and no export of sensitive technologies,” he told a news conference.

Acting on a Tuesday deadline, Trump also signed a bill approved by the US Congress to penalise banks doing business with Chinese officials who implement the new security law.
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

十年

New Visayan Islands
Game Moderator

Founded: Jan 31, 2017

Postby New Visayan Islands » Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:06 pm

Bombadil wrote:Meanwhile..

President Donald Trump on Tuesday ordered an end to Hong Kong’s special status under US law to punish China for what he called “aggressive actions” against the former British colony.

Citing China’s decision to enact a new national security law for Hong Kong, Trump said he signed an executive order that will end the preferential economic treatment Hong Kong has received for years – “no special privileges, no special economic treatment and no export of sensitive technologies,” he told a news conference.

Acting on a Tuesday deadline, Trump also signed a bill approved by the US Congress to penalise banks doing business with Chinese officials who implement the new security law.

Would it be safe to assume we can see Be Water signed in the next month or two?
Let "¡Viva la Libertad!" be a cry of Eternal Defiance to the Jackboot.
My TGs are NOT for Mod Stuff.

For details on the man behind NVI, click here.

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:11 pm

I actually approve of this action, though I doubt Trump approved this for moral reasons.

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Postby Bombadil » Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:09 pm

A while ago I posted on a protestor who carried a blank placard in reference to a story from the USSR where a policeman arrests someone handing out blank pieces of paper stating 'Don't think I don't know what you want to say'.

Well it seems to be occurring in HK. Basically the pro-democracy party held primaries last weekend to select candidates for the upcoming Legislative Elections. Seems reasonable no?

Beijing has stepped up its rhetoric against the Hong Kong pro-democracy camp’s primary election, slamming it a “blatant provocation” towards the city’s mini-constitution and the newly-enacted national security law.

What?

They claimed pro-democracy candidates, who hope to win more than 35 seats to gain a majority in the legislature, had “evil” intentions and would turn Hong Kong into a base for “infiltration” and “subversion.”

“These so-called primaries are not isolated incidents, they have clear political aims… they are the mutation of ‘black violence’ and ‘mutual destruction’.”

Basically what they're saying is the primaries have broken the new Security Law because they're clearly aimed at opposing the CCP, so by default that's illegal.

Last month, China’s top legislature enacted legislation criminalising secession, subversion, terrorism and foreign interference in Hong Kong. Violators could face up to life imprisonment.

More than 610,000 Hongkongers cast their votes over the weekend, according to co-organising political group Power for Democracy. They announced the initial polling results on Monday evening after counting 590,000 electronic ballots, with localist candidates taking the lead across different constituencies.

So simply by turning out and voting it's essentially a form of subversion and so 610, 000 of us have broken the Security Law.

Ultimately I'm pretty sure when it comes to the Legislative Elections voting for anyone other than pro-Beijing DAB party will be seen as unpatriotic and thus criminal. CCP certainly don't want a repeat of the surprise they had last year when elections destroyed their party line of the 'silent majority'.

So basically now you don't even need to say you are against the CCP, you just have to act in a way that can be perceived as against the CCP.. 'they know what we mean to say'.

Fuck this bullshit.

Also, a third of NYT staff are being moved to Seoul in light of the Security Law because writing about the issue in HK is probably illegal as well.
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

十年

The Reformed American Republic
Powerbroker

Founded: May 23, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby The Reformed American Republic » Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:40 pm

Genivaria wrote:

I actually approve of this action, though I doubt Trump approved this for moral reasons.

No, but policy is all that counts right now.
"It's called 'the American Dream' 'cause you have to be asleep to believe it." - George Carlin
"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right." - Carl Schurz
Older posts do not reflect my positions.

Holocene Extinction

New Bremerton
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 20, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby New Bremerton » Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:09 am

Cancel culture isn't exclusive to the so-called "progressive" Left in the West. Here's an example of right-wing nationalist cancel culture scalping someone from overseas at the behest of a foreign, tyrannical government, hence the reason I consider it to be a threat to democracy in the long run. It's also a threat to national sovereignty as the scandals involving the NBA and Activision-Blizzard canceling anyone expressing support for the protests in HK showed last year.

Hong Konger canceled by Chinese keyboard SJWs for hiding HK protest slogan in Morse code in personal work

A Hongkonger resigned as music director of a Taiwanese gaming company and might face compensation demands after he hid protest slogans in a piece of personal work.

The man, known as Ice, used Morse code to incorporate the lines “Hongkongers fight on, liberate Hong Kong, revolution of our times”, all common protest slogans in Hong Kong, in a piece of music entitled “Telegraph : 1344 7609 2575” and published this year.

Chinese internet users found the hidden message and threatened to boycott Ice’s company Rayark and its new game, Cytus II, whose music Ice had composed. Rayark was formed in 2011 and the Cytus series was one of its most successful games.

Ice tendered his resignation on Saturday. He said that regarding the controversy triggered by the music he published in March 2020, it “was my personal activity, unrelated to my work and Rayark.”

Chinese internet users who were not pacified by Ice’s resignation targeted Dragonest Game, the distributor for Rayark’s games in mainland China, demanding refunds.

As a result, Dragonest took the Cytus II game off the shelves and denied having any knowledge of Ice’s pro-protest music. The distributor also said it would suspend any work with Ice and seek compensation from him.

Speaking of canceling and video games, Ghost of Tsushima has been canceled/banned in China because someone didn't like that the Japanese were portrayed as good guys contrary to the typical Chinese portrayal of them as murderous, raping, pillaging, looting, rampaging savages equipped with rifles and bayonets screaming bAnZaI!1!1!

PlayStation’s latest release could fall under China’s tightened grip on video games

A mainland netizen led calls for the game, created by U.S. developer Sucker Punch Productions for the Playstation 4 console, to be banned in a discussion forum on the Chinese website Baidu as it allegedly portrayed a positive image of Japan.

The action title is set in 1274 during the first Mongol invasion of Japan on Tsushima Island. The netizen accused the game of twisting historical facts and wrote that the game forced players to dress as warriors from ancient Japan to murder their counterparts from ancient China.

“It is extremely bloody and brutal, a serious distortion of ideology,” the post read, adding that it was an insult to the Chinese race and the history of the Yuan dynasty, which was ruled by the Mongolians.

However some netizens disagreed with this view, and many said Mongolia had not taken complete control over China in 1274 as the Sung dynasty, ruled by the Han Chinese, was not yet wiped out until 1279. “What does Mongolia from that period of time have to do with us?” challenged other netizens.

Mongol invaders somehow = "counterparts from ancient China". Fucking lol. Mongols are NOT Chinese and never have been, and history isn't tied to ideology. The Chinese should surely be embarrassed by the fact that they were conquered and ruled over not once, but twice, by foreign "barbarians", instead of attempting to whitewash history by retroactively manufacturing an invented, all-encompassing "Chinese" identity that only serves to erase the separate histories, cultures, and identities of Tibetans, Uighurs, Taiwanese, Hong Kongers, Mongols, and other disparate minorities across the PRC and the pre-1949 ROC and has only really existed since the late 19th/early 20th century. But don't let historical facts get in the way of irredentist, expansionist, imperialist "ideology". It's way easier to gaslight and accuse critics of doing exactly what the PRC is doing than to humbly accept and come to terms with some of the darker/less glorious chapters of Chinese history as the Germans have done.
Last edited by New Bremerton on Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
LIBERA TE TUTEMET EX INFERIS (Liberate yourself from hell)
Alt of Glorious Hong Kong

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:07 am

Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Pilipinas and Malaya
Minister

Founded: Jun 23, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Pilipinas and Malaya » Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:34 am

New Bremerton wrote:Cancel culture isn't exclusive to the so-called "progressive" Left in the West. Here's an example of right-wing nationalist cancel culture scalping someone from overseas at the behest of a foreign, tyrannical government, hence the reason I consider it to be a threat to democracy in the long run. It's also a threat to national sovereignty as the scandals involving the NBA and Activision-Blizzard canceling anyone expressing support for the protests in HK showed last year.

Hong Konger canceled by Chinese keyboard SJWs for hiding HK protest slogan in Morse code in personal work

A Hongkonger resigned as music director of a Taiwanese gaming company and might face compensation demands after he hid protest slogans in a piece of personal work.

The man, known as Ice, used Morse code to incorporate the lines “Hongkongers fight on, liberate Hong Kong, revolution of our times”, all common protest slogans in Hong Kong, in a piece of music entitled “Telegraph : 1344 7609 2575” and published this year.

Chinese internet users found the hidden message and threatened to boycott Ice’s company Rayark and its new game, Cytus II, whose music Ice had composed. Rayark was formed in 2011 and the Cytus series was one of its most successful games.

Ice tendered his resignation on Saturday. He said that regarding the controversy triggered by the music he published in March 2020, it “was my personal activity, unrelated to my work and Rayark.”

Chinese internet users who were not pacified by Ice’s resignation targeted Dragonest Game, the distributor for Rayark’s games in mainland China, demanding refunds.

As a result, Dragonest took the Cytus II game off the shelves and denied having any knowledge of Ice’s pro-protest music. The distributor also said it would suspend any work with Ice and seek compensation from him.

Speaking of canceling and video games, Ghost of Tsushima has been canceled/banned in China because someone didn't like that the Japanese were portrayed as good guys contrary to the typical Chinese portrayal of them as murderous, raping, pillaging, looting, rampaging savages equipped with rifles and bayonets screaming bAnZaI!1!1!

PlayStation’s latest release could fall under China’s tightened grip on video games

A mainland netizen led calls for the game, created by U.S. developer Sucker Punch Productions for the Playstation 4 console, to be banned in a discussion forum on the Chinese website Baidu as it allegedly portrayed a positive image of Japan.

The action title is set in 1274 during the first Mongol invasion of Japan on Tsushima Island. The netizen accused the game of twisting historical facts and wrote that the game forced players to dress as warriors from ancient Japan to murder their counterparts from ancient China.

“It is extremely bloody and brutal, a serious distortion of ideology,” the post read, adding that it was an insult to the Chinese race and the history of the Yuan dynasty, which was ruled by the Mongolians.

However some netizens disagreed with this view, and many said Mongolia had not taken complete control over China in 1274 as the Sung dynasty, ruled by the Han Chinese, was not yet wiped out until 1279. “What does Mongolia from that period of time have to do with us?” challenged other netizens.

Mongol invaders somehow = "counterparts from ancient China". Fucking lol. Mongols are NOT Chinese and never have been, and history isn't tied to ideology. The Chinese should surely be embarrassed by the fact that they were conquered and ruled over not once, but twice, by foreign "barbarians", instead of attempting to whitewash history by retroactively manufacturing an invented, all-encompassing "Chinese" identity that only serves to erase the separate histories, cultures, and identities of Tibetans, Uighurs, Taiwanese, Hong Kongers, Mongols, and other disparate minorities across the PRC and the pre-1949 ROC and has only really existed since the late 19th/early 20th century. But don't let historical facts get in the way of irredentist, expansionist, imperialist "ideology". It's way easier to gaslight and accuse critics of doing exactly what the PRC is doing than to humbly accept and come to terms with some of the darker/less glorious chapters of Chinese history as the Germans have done.

Japan has made it a very important point that they regret the actions performed in World War 2. While it's somewhat okay to not accept their apologies (even though it's been seventy years or so since everything happened), portraying them as such despite their transformations is just plain propaganda and does nothing to help the relations between the two or heal past wounds in the slightest.

PRC is pretty much a glorified dynasty now, except they're much more dangerous and capable of many things. You can see them going all Tianxia over the rest of the countries by forcing them to do what China wants, just like the tributes forced upon the same countries centuries ago.

Lmao the Mongols being Chinese is something China's been craving like how the Qing did it. This only shows how the Chinese look at other nationalities and countries, they're pawns, subjects, propaganda pieces or mortal enemies.
Federative States of Pilipinas and Malaya
Member of Europe

Homepage (leads to other info dispatches)
Accursed, incomplete, self-made map collection of my universe
NS Stats invalid
Yes, my nation does represent a good chunk of my views
Finally got around to dealing with a bunch of canon stuff, expect them to be updated every once in a while. | *inhales copium* In Civ 7, maybe we'll finally get a Filipino civ? | STREAM SEVENTEEN'S FML, OUT NOW

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Postby Bombadil » Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:52 am

New Bremerton wrote:Cancel culture isn't exclusive to the so-called "progressive" Left in the West. Here's an example of right-wing nationalist cancel culture scalping someone from overseas at the behest of a foreign, tyrannical government, hence the reason I consider it to be a threat to democracy in the long run. It's also a threat to national sovereignty as the scandals involving the NBA and Activision-Blizzard canceling anyone expressing support for the protests in HK showed last year.

Beyond that..

HONG KONG (Reuters) - Global wealth managers are examining whether their clients in Hong Kong have ties to the city’s pro-democracy movement, in an attempt to avoid getting caught in the crosshairs of China’s new national security law, according to six people with knowledge of the matter.

Bankers at Credit Suisse Group AG (CSGN.S), HSBC Holdings Plc (HSBA.L), Julius Baer Gruppe AG (BAER.S) and UBS Group AG (UBSG.S), among others, are broadening scrutiny under their programs that screen clients for political and government ties and subjecting them to additional diligence requirements, these people said.

The designation, called politically exposed persons, can make it more difficult or altogether prevent people from accessing banking services, depending on what the bank finds about the person’s source of wealth or financial transactions.

The checks at some wealth managers have involved combing through comments made by clients and their associates in public and in media, and social media posts in the recent past, these people said. The new law prohibits what Beijing describes broadly as secession, subversion, terrorism and collusion with foreign forces, with up to life in prison for offenders.

Link

Yay capitalism.. I wonder how many of their corporate decrees are about equality and freedom and individual rights.. my ass.. they absolutely leap to fuck people over for their opinions.

十年

Pilipinas and Malaya
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Pilipinas and Malaya » Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:47 am

It seems British passport holders have had their biggest hope removed as well...

My mistake, this is a very good thing for any British citizens or people who are heavily associated with Britain that’s against China.

UK suspends Hong Kong extradition treaty and extends China arms embargo to the city

(CNN) - The UK will suspend its extradition treaty with Hong Kong with immediate effect and Britain's arms embargo on China will be extended to the semi-autonomous city.

Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab told MPs Monday that the UK wanted to work with Beijing but the new security law imposed by China on Hong Kong had "significantly changed key assumptions" underpinning extradition arrangements.

Prime Minister Boris Johnson said earlier in the day that the UK was changing its arrangements with Hong Kong to reflect his government's "serious concerns" about its new security law, but called for engagement with China.

The controversial national security legislation, imposed by Beijing on Hong Kong on July 1, gives China sweeping new powers over the city.

Critics say the law, which wasn't revealed to the public until after it was passed, marks an erosion of the former British colony's precious civil and political freedoms; the Chinese and local governments argue it's necessary to curb unrest and uphold mainland sovereignty.

"We obviously have concerns about what's happening in Hong Kong and you will be hearing a bit later on from the Foreign Secretary about how we are going to change our extradition arrangements to reflect our concerns about what's happening with the security law in Hong Kong," Johnson said on the sidelines of a visit to a school in Kent, southeast England, on Monday.

Speaking specifically about China, the UK Prime Minister also said his government had "concerns about the treatment of the Uyghur minority obviously, about the human rights abuses," promising a "tough" yet balanced approach towards the world's second largest economy, without abandoning the UK's "policy of engagement."

"China is a giant factor of geopolitics, it's going to be a giant factor in our lives and in the lives of our children and grandchildren," he said. "You have got to have a calibrated response and we are going to be tough on some things but also going to continue to engage."

"There is a balance here," Johnson added. "I'm not going to be pushed into a position of becoming a knee-jerk Sinophobe on every issue, somebody who is automatically anti-China, but we do have serious concerns."

Seems like Johnson doesn’t want to anger the CCP.

Quite the contrary, China called this meddling in internal affairs once more. A slippery excuse at that, considering either party is free to withdraw from an extradition treaty.

Here’s to one of the small victories!
Last edited by Pilipinas and Malaya on Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Member of Europe

NS Stats invalid
Finally got around to dealing with a bunch of canon stuff, expect them to be updated every once in a while. | *inhales copium* In Civ 7, maybe we'll finally get a Filipino civ? | STREAM SEVENTEEN'S FML, OUT NOW

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:56 am

Pilipinas and Malaya wrote:It seems British passport holders have had their biggest hope removed as well...

UK suspends Hong Kong extradition treaty and extends China arms embargo to the city

(CNN) - The UK will suspend its extradition treaty with Hong Kong with immediate effect and Britain's arms embargo on China will be extended to the semi-autonomous city.

Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab told MPs Monday that the UK wanted to work with Beijing but the new security law imposed by China on Hong Kong had "significantly changed key assumptions" underpinning extradition arrangements.

Prime Minister Boris Johnson said earlier in the day that the UK was changing its arrangements with Hong Kong to reflect his government's "serious concerns" about its new security law, but called for engagement with China.

The controversial national security legislation, imposed by Beijing on Hong Kong on July 1, gives China sweeping new powers over the city.

Critics say the law, which wasn't revealed to the public until after it was passed, marks an erosion of the former British colony's precious civil and political freedoms; the Chinese and local governments argue it's necessary to curb unrest and uphold mainland sovereignty.

"We obviously have concerns about what's happening in Hong Kong and you will be hearing a bit later on from the Foreign Secretary about how we are going to change our extradition arrangements to reflect our concerns about what's happening with the security law in Hong Kong," Johnson said on the sidelines of a visit to a school in Kent, southeast England, on Monday.

Speaking specifically about China, the UK Prime Minister also said his government had "concerns about the treatment of the Uyghur minority obviously, about the human rights abuses," promising a "tough" yet balanced approach towards the world's second largest economy, without abandoning the UK's "policy of engagement."

"China is a giant factor of geopolitics, it's going to be a giant factor in our lives and in the lives of our children and grandchildren," he said. "You have got to have a calibrated response and we are going to be tough on some things but also going to continue to engage."

"There is a balance here," Johnson added. "I'm not going to be pushed into a position of becoming a knee-jerk Sinophobe on every issue, somebody who is automatically anti-China, but we do have serious concerns."

Hm? Where does it say anything about the British passport holder arrangement?
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

Wave on, wave on

-Astoria-
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 27, 2019
Left-wing Utopia

Postby -Astoria- » Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:08 pm

Bombadil wrote:

Beyond that..

HONG KONG (Reuters) - Global wealth managers are examining whether their clients in Hong Kong have ties to the city’s pro-democracy movement, in an attempt to avoid getting caught in the crosshairs of China’s new national security law, according to six people with knowledge of the matter.

Bankers at Credit Suisse Group AG (CSGN.S), HSBC Holdings Plc (HSBA.L), Julius Baer Gruppe AG (BAER.S) and UBS Group AG (UBSG.S), among others, are broadening scrutiny under their programs that screen clients for political and government ties and subjecting them to additional diligence requirements, these people said.

The designation, called politically exposed persons, can make it more difficult or altogether prevent people from accessing banking services, depending on what the bank finds about the person’s source of wealth or financial transactions.

The checks at some wealth managers have involved combing through comments made by clients and their associates in public and in media, and social media posts in the recent past, these people said. The new law prohibits what Beijing describes broadly as secession, subversion, terrorism and collusion with foreign forces, with up to life in prison for offenders.

Link

Yay capitalism.. I wonder how many of their corporate decrees are about equality and freedom and individual rights.. my ass.. they absolutely leap to fuck people over for their opinions.

Live by the money, die by the money.
                                                      Republic of Astoria | Pobolieth Asdair                                                      
Bedhent cewsel ein gweisiau | Our deeds shall speak
IC: FactbooksLocationEmbassiesFAQIntegrity | OOC: CCL's VP • 9th in NSFB#110/10: DGES
 ⌜✉⌟ TV1 News | 2023-04-11  ▶ ⬤──────── (LIVE) |  Headlines  Winter out; spring in for public parks • Environment ministry announces A₤300m in renewables subsidies • "Not enough," say unions on A₤24m planned Govt cost-of-living salary supplement |  Weather  Liskerry ⛅ 13° • Altas ⛅ 10° • Esterpine ☀ 11° • Naltgybal ☁ 14° • Ceirtryn ⛅ 19° • Bynscel ☀ 11° • Lyteel ☔ 9° |  Traffic  ROADWORKS: WRE expwy towards Port Trelyn closed; use Routes P294 northbound; P83 southbound 

Novus America
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 02, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:24 pm

The New California Republic wrote:
Pilipinas and Malaya wrote:It seems British passport holders have had their biggest hope removed as well...

Hm? Where does it say anything about the British passport holder arrangement?

“Prime Minister Boris Johnson said earlier in the day that the UK was changing its arrangements with Hong Kong to reflect his government's "serious concerns" about its new security law, but called for engagement with China.”

Unfortunately he apparently STILL thinks the PRC can be a partner when Hong Kong shows that is impossible. The PRC cares nothing for its agreements with the UK, openly violating them with abandon. The only way is containment. The PRC will always be an adversary, never a partner.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Zombie Ike/Teddy Roosevelt 2020.

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.
Think something like prewar Fallout, minus the bad stuff.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:31 pm

Novus America wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:Hm? Where does it say anything about the British passport holder arrangement?

“Prime Minister Boris Johnson said earlier in the day that the UK was changing its arrangements with Hong Kong to reflect his government's "serious concerns" about its new security law, but called for engagement with China.”

Unfortunately he apparently STILL thinks the PRC can be a partner when Hong Kong shows that is impossible. The PRC cares nothing for its agreements with the UK, openly violating them with abandon. The only way is containment. The PRC will always be an adversary, never a partner.

No. It means that the extradition treaty is being suspended, it says nothing about UK passport holders in HK being able to come here...

Wave on, wave on

Novus America
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 02, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:52 pm

Novus America wrote:

No. It means that the extradition treaty is being suspended, it says nothing about UK passport holders in HK being able to come here...

Those are not the only issues involved though. “Engagement” is usually just a code for appeasement. On what is the question. Even if he stands up to the PRC on the extradition treaty and passport holder issues, that alone is not nearly enough to make the PRC think twice about crushing Hong Kong.

You have to hit them where it hurts. Trade and finance.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Zombie Ike/Teddy Roosevelt 2020.

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.
Think something like prewar Fallout, minus the bad stuff.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:11 pm

Good. I rarely agree with this government, but at least they are protecting people from falling into the hands of the CCP over this incredibly vague and over-reaching law.

In fairness, it should have happened earlier (according to the article, Australia had already suspended their extradition treaty with Hong Kong over the security law, earlier in July), but this is something.

My only wish is that the world had done more earlier.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

My nation does not represent my beliefs or politics.

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 28, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Austria-Bohemia-Hungary » Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:38 pm

The Free Joy State wrote:

Good. I rarely agree with this government, but at least they are protecting people from falling into the hands of the CCP over this incredibly vague and over-reaching law.

In fairness, it should have happened earlier (according to the article, Australia had already suspended their extradition treaty with Hong Kong over the security law, earlier in July), but this is something.

Considering that PRC dumps arrested foreigners in slave labour camps indef making miscellaneous items and underwear I'd prefer if we tore up all extradition treaties with a slaver state but I guess this is step 1.
The Holy Romangnan Empire of Ostmark
something something the sole legitimate Austria-Hungary larp'er on NS :3

MT/MagicT
The Armed Forces|Embassy Programme|The Imperial and National Anthem of the Holy Roman Empire|Characters|The Map

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:58 pm

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary wrote:
The Free Joy State wrote:Good. I rarely agree with this government, but at least they are protecting people from falling into the hands of the CCP over this incredibly vague and over-reaching law.

Considering that PRC dumps arrested foreigners in slave labour camps indef making miscellaneous items and underwear I'd prefer if we tore up all extradition treaties with a slaver state but I guess this is step 1.

Well, as I said, it's something.

All extradition treaties should have been ended the minute the Security Law was brought in (if not sooner). But every marathon starts with a single step.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

My nation does not represent my beliefs or politics.

Pilipinas and Malaya
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Pilipinas and Malaya » Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:10 am

Novus America wrote:

Yep, I misunderstood the article title. Blame sleepy me. I’m going to edit it to reflect that.
Member of Europe

NS Stats invalid

-Astoria-
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 27, 2019
Left-wing Utopia

Postby -Astoria- » Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:24 am

Pilipinas and Malaya wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:No. It means that the extradition treaty is being suspended, it says nothing about UK passport holders in HK being able to come here...

Yep, I misunderstood the article title. Blame sleepy me. I’m going to edit it to reflect that.

Moral of the story: never read NSG threads when in a state of drowsiness.
                                                      Republic of Astoria | Pobolieth Asdair                                                      
Bedhent cewsel ein gweisiau | Our deeds shall speak
IC: FactbooksLocationEmbassiesFAQIntegrity | OOC: CCL's VP • 9th in NSFB#110/10: DGES
 ⌜✉⌟ TV1 News | 2023-04-11  ▶ ⬤──────── (LIVE) |  Headlines  Winter out; spring in for public parks • Environment ministry announces A₤300m in renewables subsidies • "Not enough," say unions on A₤24m planned Govt cost-of-living salary supplement |  Weather  Liskerry ⛅ 13° • Altas ⛅ 10° • Esterpine ☀ 11° • Naltgybal ☁ 14° • Ceirtryn ⛅ 19° • Bynscel ☀ 11° • Lyteel ☔ 9° |  Traffic  ROADWORKS: WRE expwy towards Port Trelyn closed; use Routes P294 northbound; P83 southbound 

Pilipinas and Malaya
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Pilipinas and Malaya » Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:01 am

-Astoria- wrote:
Pilipinas and Malaya wrote:

Moral of the story: never read NSG threads when in a state of drowsiness.

The time before I sleep is usually the time I end up on NS. Should probably reread stuff. :p
Member of Europe

NS Stats invalid

Glorious Hong Kong
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 01, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Glorious Hong Kong » Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:05 am

Tonight marks the one-year anniversary of the Yuen Long Triad terror attacks on commuters.
LIBERATE HONG KONG. REVOLUTION OF OUR TIMES. CCP DELENDA EST.
VIVE LE FRANCE. JE SUIS SAMUEL PATY. I STAND WITH EUROPE AND ISRAEL AGAINST RADICAL ISLAM.
ALL LIVES MATTER.
Wuhan coronavirus is racist but Japanese encephalitis is A-OK. The CCP has nothing to do with this double standard whatsoever. Nothing to see here.
The case against communism
Definition of radical Islam

New Visayan Islands
Game Moderator

Founded: Jan 31, 2017

Postby New Visayan Islands » Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:24 am

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary wrote:
The Free Joy State wrote:Good. I rarely agree with this government, but at least they are protecting people from falling into the hands of the CCP over this incredibly vague and over-reaching law.

Secure the keys!

Assuming that's step 1, I wonder what step 2 (Ascend from darkness!) would be...?
Let "¡Viva la Libertad!" be a cry of Eternal Defiance to the Jackboot.
My TGs are NOT for Mod Stuff.

For details on the man behind NVI, click here.

Pilipinas and Malaya
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Pilipinas and Malaya » Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:13 pm

New Visayan Islands wrote:
Austria-Bohemia-Hungary wrote:Considering that PRC dumps arrested foreigners in slave labour camps indef making miscellaneous items and underwear I'd prefer if we tore up all extradition treaties with a slaver state but I guess this is step 1.

Secure the keys!

Assuming that's step 1, I wonder what step 2 (Ascend from darkness!) would be...?

Probably slowly back off from engagements or deals with China and related companies.
Member of Europe

NS Stats invalid

Diahon
Senator

Founded: Apr 01, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Diahon » Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:46 am

i'm awake and i'm sorry for this dil since this is not about hong kong at all but REAL SHIT

China is sending military planes near Taiwan with increasing frequency in what appears to be a stepping up of its threat to use force to take control of the island, Taiwan’s foreign minister said Wednesday.

OHSHITOHFUCKOHSHITOHFUCKOHSHITOHFUCKOHSHITOHFUCKOHSHITOHFUCK

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General