NATION

PASSWORD

Hong Kong II - Ragnarök

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

I believe..

It will all die out and HK will slowly be subsumed into an authoritarian China
21%
It will all die out but international pressure will come to bear on China to change
4%
It will continue yet HK will slowly be subsumed into an authoritarian China
34%
It will continue and international pressure will come to bear on China to change
14%
Shit's going down yo'
13%
Hasselhoff will wake from his slumber and the chosen one will rise again
7%
I like clicking polls.. I mean, a bit like democracy I guess.. but i just like clicking polls
6%
Other
2%

Total votes : 547

Tuthina
Senator

Founded: Jun 14, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Tuthina » Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:12 am

Heloin wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:
it's tweets

if you had a full length article where he expounds on this "theory"... from reading the tweets, it's Chinese humor with a point

basically, "A hahaha... this is just like the HK protests. We already know who did it? Why aren't they arrested yet? GET IT?"

the idea that the HK protestors are behind what's happening in America is a joke, but a joke with a point: "America is engaging in a double standard here."

I mean invoking Interpol? That's a real punchline

You've never been a good judge of sarcasm. The tweet wasn't sarcastic. It wasn't a joke. This isn't German humour that we're dealing with.

As someone considered Chinese, I can confirm that it doesn't contain any form of Chines humour I know. I'm also still waiting for IM to tell me what's that Chinese idiom about chariot is supposed to be written.
Call me Reno.
14:54:02 <Lykens> Explain your definition of Reno.

11:47 <Swilatia> Good god, copy+paste is no way to build a country!

03:08 <Democratic Koyro> NSG senate is a glaring example of why no one in NSG should ever have a position of authority
Rated as Class A: Environmental Utopia by Namor People's Rating Department
Rated as Human Rights Haven (7/10) by Namor People's Rating Department
Rated as Partially Free (4/10) by Namor People's Rating Department
Rated as Post-Industrial Nation (48 000 thousands of metric tons of carbon annually) by Syleruian Carbon Output Index
Rated as Category B by Edenist Travel Advisory Guide

Violent Mike
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 11, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Violent Mike » Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:03 am

Infected Mushroom wrote:.

Even if China “oppresses” us, at least they are our lords.

You do know the concept of lords is contrary to the tenets of communism, right?

New Visayan Islands
Game Moderator

Founded: Jan 31, 2017
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby New Visayan Islands » Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:07 am

Violent Mike wrote:

In practice, however, it's a moot point; the Party apparatchik is probably the closest thing to a lord.
Let "¡Viva la Libertad!" be a cry of Eternal Defiance to the Jackboot.
My TGs are NOT for Mod Stuff.

For details on the man behind NVI, click here.

Rusozak
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 14, 2015

Postby Rusozak » Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:09 am

Violent Mike wrote:

The CCP is communist only in name. They've long since abandoned it.
NOTE: This nation's government style, policies, and opinions in roleplay or forum 7 does not represent my true beliefs. It is purely for the enjoyment of the game.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 15, 2014
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:26 pm

Heloin wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:
it's tweets

if you had a full length article where he expounds on this "theory"... from reading the tweets, it's Chinese humor with a point

basically, "A hahaha... this is just like the HK protests. We already know who did it? Why aren't they arrested yet? GET IT?"

the idea that the HK protestors are behind what's happening in America is a joke, but a joke with a point: "America is engaging in a double standard here."

I mean invoking Interpol? That's a real punchline

You've never been a good judge of sarcasm. The tweet wasn't sarcastic. It wasn't a joke. This isn't German humour that we're dealing with.

I disagree. But to each with their own.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:35 pm

I’m choking with laughter over my breakfast cereal at the sheer hypocrisy. Oh these AMERICANS...

US President Donald Trump said on Monday he was deploying thousands of heavily armed soldiers and law enforcement to stop violence in the US capital and vowed to do the same in other cities if mayors and governors fail to regain control of the streets.

"Mayors and governors must establish an overwhelming law enforcement presence until the violence has been quelled," Trump said in remarks at the White House Rose Garden as authorities dispersed protesters with tear gas just blocks away.

"If a city or state refuses to take the actions that are necessary to defend the life and property of their residents, then I will deploy the United States military and quickly solve the problem for them."

A senior US defence official, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said all of the 1,200 National Guard forces in Washington, had been mobilised and five states were sending 600 to 800 additional guard troops who could be on the ground by evening.

A second defense official said some of the guard troops were armed with lethal weapons.

Beyond that, active US military duty troops – including military police and engineering units – were on standby in the National Capital Region but outside the city itself and were ready to deploy if needed.

The hope, the first official said, was that the additional guard units would make the use of active duty troops unnecessary.

"A decision to put active-duty troops on the streets would have to be made by the president at this point," the official said.

The demonstrations, largely peaceful during the day but turning violent after dark, have erupted over the death of George Floyd, a 46-year-old African American who died in Minneapolis police custody after being pinned beneath a white officer's knee for nearly nine minutes. (Reuters)

It’s so funny. If it’s protests and riots abroad (like in Hong Kong), they cheer them on and criticize all attempts at a crackdown. But as soon as America is hit...

Trump: we have to dominate them! ... They start looting, we start shooting... deploy the national guard, deploy the whole military if need be... crush the rebels!

Seriously, it’s like I’m watching a real life sitcom.

We held out for over a year, he’s losing it in days
Last edited by Infected Mushroom on Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Neanderthaland
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 10, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Neanderthaland » Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:41 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:I’m choking with laughter over my breakfast cereal at the sheer hypocrisy. Oh these AMERICANS...

US President Donald Trump said on Monday he was deploying thousands of heavily armed soldiers and law enforcement to stop violence in the US capital and vowed to do the same in other cities if mayors and governors fail to regain control of the streets.

"Mayors and governors must establish an overwhelming law enforcement presence until the violence has been quelled," Trump said in remarks at the White House Rose Garden as authorities dispersed protesters with tear gas just blocks away.

"If a city or state refuses to take the actions that are necessary to defend the life and property of their residents, then I will deploy the United States military and quickly solve the problem for them."

A senior US defence official, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said all of the 1,200 National Guard forces in Washington, had been mobilised and five states were sending 600 to 800 additional guard troops who could be on the ground by evening.

A second defense official said some of the guard troops were armed with lethal weapons.

Beyond that, active US military duty troops – including military police and engineering units – were on standby in the National Capital Region but outside the city itself and were ready to deploy if needed.

The hope, the first official said, was that the additional guard units would make the use of active duty troops unnecessary.

"A decision to put active-duty troops on the streets would have to be made by the president at this point," the official said.

The demonstrations, largely peaceful during the day but turning violent after dark, have erupted over the death of George Floyd, a 46-year-old African American who died in Minneapolis police custody after being pinned beneath a white officer's knee for nearly nine minutes. (Reuters)

It’s so funny. If it’s protests and riots abroad (like in Hong Kong), they cheer them on and criticize all attempts at a crackdown. But as soon as America is hit...

Trump: we have to dominate them! ... They start looting, we start shooting... deploy the national guard, deploy the whole military if need be... crush the rebels!

Whatever hypocrisy you are imagining, you are imagining it.
Ug make fire. Mod ban Ug.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:44 pm

Neanderthaland wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:I’m choking with laughter over my breakfast cereal at the sheer hypocrisy. Oh these AMERICANS...

Whatever hypocrisy you are imagining, you are imagining it.

From a reputable news source:

Beijing said on Monday that unrest in the United States highlights its severe problems of racism and police violence, and exposes Washington's double standards in supporting Hong Kong's protesters.

"Black people's lives are also lives. Their human rights must also be guaranteed," foreign ministry spokesman Zhao Lijian told reporters in Beijing, referring to the death in custody of an unarmed black man in Minneapolis.

"Racism against ethnic minorities in the US is a chronic disease of American society," Zhao added.

"The current situation reflects once more the severity of the problems of racism and police violence in the US."

Chinese diplomats and state media have seized on the violent unrest sparked by the death of George Floyd to accuse the US of hypocrisy and compare American protesters with pro-democracy demonstrators in Hong Kong.

Perfect phrasing.

I’m so proud of my government.
Last edited by Infected Mushroom on Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Neanderthaland
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Neanderthaland » Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:47 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Neanderthaland wrote:Whatever hypocrisy you are imagining, you are imagining it.

That will be unnamed, because it's not reputable. I wonder sometimes if you can go a single sentence without lying.

Beijing said on Monday that unrest in the United States highlights its severe problems of racism and police violence, and exposes Washington's double standards in supporting Hong Kong's protesters.

"Black people's lives are also lives. Their human rights must also be guaranteed," foreign ministry spokesman Zhao Lijian told reporters in Beijing, referring to the death in custody of an unarmed black man in Minneapolis.

"Racism against ethnic minorities in the US is a chronic disease of American society," Zhao added.

"The current situation reflects once more the severity of the problems of racism and police violence in the US."

Chinese diplomats and state media have seized on the violent unrest sparked by the death of George Floyd to accuse the US of hypocrisy and compare American protesters with pro-democracy demonstrators in Hong Kong.

Perfect phrasing.

Projection. Nothing more. Like when the Soviets pointed to Southern Racism while they were actively Genociding the Kazakhs. Only in this case it's Uyghurs.
Last edited by Neanderthaland on Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:48 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:I’m so proud of my government.

What is the Canadian government doing that you are so proud of?
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Stellar Colonies
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 27, 2017

Postby Stellar Colonies » Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:49 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Neanderthaland wrote:Whatever hypocrisy you are imagining, you are imagining it.

Perfect phrasing.

We're supporting peaceful protests in the US and Hong Kong, and are opposed to riots and brutal crackdowns in the US and Hong Kong.

There is no hypocrisy.
Floofybit wrote:Your desired society should be one where you are submissive and controlled
Primitive Communism wrote:What bodily autonomy do men need?
Techocracy101010 wrote:If she goes on a rampage those saggy wonders are as deadly as nunchucks
Parmistan wrote:It's not ALWAYS acceptable when we do it, but it's MORE acceptable when we do it.
Theodorable wrote:Jihad will win.
Distruzio wrote:All marriage outside the Church is gay marriage.
Khardsland wrote:Terrorism in its original definition is a good thing.
I try to be objective, but I do have some biases.

North Californian.
Stellar Colonies is a loose galactic confederacy.

The Confederacy & the WA.

Add 1200 years.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:06 pm

Stellar Colonies wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:

Perfect phrasing.

We're supporting peaceful protests in the US and Hong Kong, and are opposed to riots and brutal crackdowns in the US and Hong Kong.

There is no hypocrisy.

The American government was supporting the protests in Hong Kong even as they got violent

Nancy Pelosi said the sight of Hong Kong streets and shops being burned up was “beautiful”

The Americans tried to back the rioters by applying pressure through the Hong Kong Democracy and Human Rights Act (this was when they were attacking our train stations and soon after would occupy our universities and hurl bombs)

Maybe a few countries should pull an America now and pass some legislation to review America’s trade status if the federal government gets too involved over the state government in handling violent rioters or if arbitrary standards of procedural rights are not met
Last edited by Infected Mushroom on Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Novus America
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 02, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:14 pm

Stellar Colonies wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:

Perfect phrasing.

There is no hypocrisy.

Also I do not care if the PRC sanctions us either, as they are welcome to do.
Although the situation is quite different in that in Hong Kong they are demanding the ability to fairly elect their leaders, something all US cities already have.
The Hong Kong priests have clear, reasonable demands that can actually be implemented. Another difference.
Riots suck, but when riots happen something is wrong, and few Americans would say the US does not need real reform. That being another fundamental difference.
The PRC is saying the protesters should not be listened to at all, something very few are saying in the US because we largely recognize there are real legitimate complaints involved here.
Last edited by Novus America on Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Zombie Ike/Teddy Roosevelt 2020.

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.
Think something like prewar Fallout, minus the bad stuff.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 28, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Austria-Bohemia-Hungary » Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:15 pm

The New California Republic wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:I’m so proud of my government.

What is the Canadian government doing that you are so proud of?

Is this treason I am smelling?
The Holy Romangnan Empire of Ostmark
something something the sole legitimate Austria-Hungary larp'er on NS :3

MT/MagicT
The Armed Forces|Embassy Programme|The Imperial and National Anthem of the Holy Roman Empire|Characters|The Map

New haven america
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby New haven america » Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:18 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:

Perfect phrasing.

For once I agree with you.

Canada choosing to not back down amidst Chinese threats is truly noble.
Human of the male variety
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:48 pm

Novus America wrote:
Stellar Colonies wrote:We're supporting peaceful protests in the US and Hong Kong, and are opposed to riots and brutal crackdowns in the US and Hong Kong.

There is no hypocrisy.

Although the situation is quite different in that in Hong Kong they are demanding the ability to fairly elect their leaders, something all US cities already have.
The Hong Kong priests have clear, reasonable demands that can actually be implemented. Another difference.
Riots suck, but when riots happen something is wrong, and few Americans would say the US does not need real reform. That being another fundamental difference.
The PRC is saying the protesters should not be listened to at all, something very few are saying in the US because we largely recognize there are real legitimate complaints involved here.

The PRC wouldn’t sanction you.

It’s not interested in imposing its ideology on the USA. That’s the difference between our governments.

Also, the Chinese understand sanctions to be a net loss to all sides. You wouldn’t want to penalize someone with an action that causes yourself loss as well. Even if the USA may in some cases lose a bit more, China isn’t spiteful.
Last edited by Infected Mushroom on Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Novus America
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 02, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:52 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Novus America wrote:

It’s not interested in imposing its ideology on the USA. That’s the difference between our governments.

Also, the Chinese understand sanctions to be a net loss to all sides. You wouldn’t want to penalize someone with an action that causes yourself loss as well. Even if the USA may in some cases lose a bit more, China isn’t spiteful.

Moving the goalposts. While this is garbage, it does not show hypocrisy.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Zombie Ike/Teddy Roosevelt 2020.

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.
Think something like prewar Fallout, minus the bad stuff.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:56 pm

Novus America wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:

It’s already been demonstrated, Trump criticizes China for trying to stop riots in HK...

Days later: BOOM... Trump does the same thing to rioters in his own country

And you can bet this is going to be a widespread public opinion in mainland China
Last edited by Infected Mushroom on Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Austria-Bohemia-Hungary » Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:57 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Novus America wrote:

Got any other "cutesy, betraying your Queen and Country" soundbites taken from "The Quotations of Chairman Mao"?

MT/MagicT
The Armed Forces|Embassy Programme|The Imperial and National Anthem of the Holy Roman Empire|Characters|The Map

Neanderthaland
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Neanderthaland » Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:57 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Novus America wrote:

It’s already been demonstrated, Trump criticizes China for trying to stop riots in HK...

Does anyone here care about what Trump thinks?

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Austria-Bohemia-Hungary » Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:57 pm

Neanderthaland wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:

Does IM count?

MT/MagicT

Neanderthaland
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Neanderthaland » Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:58 pm

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary wrote:
Neanderthaland wrote:Does anyone here care about what Trump thinks?

Does IM count?

Fair point.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:58 pm

Neanderthaland wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:

He’s in command of the USA, that’s what democracy produces

New haven america
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby New haven america » Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:59 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Novus America wrote:

2. The PRC wouldn’t sanction you.

It’s not interested in imposing its ideology on the USA. 2. That’s the difference between our governments.

Also, the Chinese understand sanctions to be a net loss to all sides. You wouldn’t want to penalize someone with an action that causes yourself loss as well. Even if the USA may in some cases lose a bit more, 3. China isn’t spiteful.

1. lol, the PRC would happily impose its ideologies on any country it wanted if it was strong enough.
2. Last time I checked Canada had pretty similar views and goals as the US.
3. The PRC and CCP are most definitely spiteful.
Human of the male variety
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Austria-Bohemia-Hungary » Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:59 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Neanderthaland wrote:Does anyone here care about what Trump thinks?

He’s in command of the USA, that’s what democracy produces

Only dictators command their countries. This is basic 9th grader stuff IM do try to keep up.

MT/MagicT

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General